1. Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Euphoria is in need of a new logo. Do we have any members on the forum that are graphic artists willing to participate that can create a professional quality logo for Euphoria?

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I'm not professing to be a professional. My question is...

As briefly as possible, could you describe the main differences from the previous release?

This is an attempt at stirring some inspiration.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Hm, that's a big question! It needs to be addressed in the manual, so it'll be done sometime before 4.0b2 I hope, but for sure before final release.

Does anyone want to take a stab at what is new in 4.0?

Jeremy

4. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Euphoria is in need of a new logo. Do we have any members on the forum that are graphic artists willing to participate that can create a professional quality logo for Euphoria?

I do have two ideas... The second I like better...

1. A big, capital curvy E with the bottom looping up to be a lower case "u". The lower case "u" would would be the bottom part of a smiley face ... Thus, it vaguely looks like Eu but the "u" being a smiley face, i.e. Euphoric.
  2. A box that has been opened and coming out of the box is the top part of a textual style smiley face. i.e. "Open" (as in the box) Euphoria (as in the smiley)

Jeremy

5. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

i.e. Euphoric.

Yes?

6. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

3. An open box with Eu coming out of it, the u bing a textual smiley face.

Jeremy

7. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I hadn't gotten that far. I was still morphing what there is.

The 32x32 icon has an E with a checkerboard pattern. To me that signifies the "spotty" collection of commands (compared to a full language) from the previous version.

To signify a full, but still procedural language, I was thinking of a horizontal striped pattern of some kind.

I had also mused about when Eu goes OOP, the icon could be Capital E lower case e.

8. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I was thinking more along the lines of a logo, not really an icon. An icon for Euphoria will be used rarely. The logo could be converted into an icon, of course.

Jeremy

9. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Euphoria is in need of a new logo.

What is wrong with the logo that Euphoria has now?

10. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

An icon for Euphoria will be used rarely.

Only every executable file in a folder.

Nevertheless, perhaps you are thinking of a watermark.

A logo would only be used on the main website page and in the language publication.

11. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

It actually would only be part of the euiw.exe, as it's the only true Windows program? Then, on all of the Unix variants (which include Linux, OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, SunOS) there would be no icon for any of them.

Now, on the windows side of things, the .e, .ex, .exd, .exw source files would benefit from an icon, but that's really benefiting only developers as most end users will be downloading a pre-compiled package, presumably with it's own icon defined (at least that's how it should be).

Jeremy

12. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

CAUTION: I have no skill in this field.

I feel that a logo needs to avoid being too "comic"-like , and "cute" is not really a priority either.

The "open" metaphor might be manifested as an opened door or window with the "euphoria" concept as a rainbow coloured "smiley" peeking out.

I've also envisaged some mythical creature emerging from a rainbow coloured chrysalis, maybe a gryphon or dragon?

13. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...
jeremy said...

CAUTION: I have no skill in this field.

I feel that a logo needs to avoid being too "comic"-like , and "cute" is not really a priority either.

The "open" metaphor might be manifested as an opened door or window with the "euphoria" concept as a rainbow coloured "smiley" peeking out.

I've also envisaged some mythical creature emerging from a rainbow coloured chrysalis, maybe a gryphon or dragon?

I was afraid you were going to say Euphoronid. Phoronids aren't imposing.

Hmmm: EU PHORIA(ユーフォーリア, Yūfōria)is a Japanese all girl band, formed in 2002. They are being released under Avex's label SONIC ...

I'm not enthusiastic about the rainbow coloring.

kat

14. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

useless said...

Nor am I.

Jeremy

15. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
useless said...

Nor am I.

Jeremy

Right, so its definitely in then blink

Given free rein, I'd actually like a surfing metaphor - but at least I'm throwing out ideas for people to bounce off.

16. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

My idea for this thread was not to define what the logo should be but to give ideas to encourage the creative people on the forum to come up with ideas and present logos. Who really knows what a logo will look like until they see it. That's the problem and for me personally, I'm not at all graphically creative.

Jeremy

17. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

A starting point...

http://a.imagehost.org/0589/Euphoria.png

18. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Tom, I like the first one better, the Eu, but it seems a bit hard to recognize the E as an E?

Jeremy

19. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Not being a pro. I like the wire.ex demo caught in mid air.

Don Cole

20. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Hello everyone...

I've submitted to RDS a zipped pdf file containing sample logos for people to look at. They were designed by Ms Gina Stephens (Graphic Artist [Victoria, Australia]) from a couple of basic ideas of mine. We wanted the logos to suggest various attributes of Euphoria: bright, crisp, uncluttered; simple (but not "simplistic"); speed; higher-level; sequence (viz { } ); slice (viz [ ... ] ); procedure/function (viz ( ) ).

Comments anyone?

Alex Caracatsanis

21. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

SunPsych08 said...

I've submitted to RDS a zipped pdf file containing sample logos for people to look at.

Alex,

Seems it's not online yet. When it comes online, I'll certainly give you feedback.

Jeremy

22. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

SunPsych08 said...

Comments anyone?

Alex,

I'd like to put these logos on a web page, numbered just as you have them, but something people can just view. I would also like to put the other submitted logos on the same page with a number, then we can begin to comment on each logo with each number.

Can you email me the logo's in a png/jpeg format at a sensible size? Or, if it is easier, if you host the png/jpeg's. You're call. We can link to many different places on the wiki.

Jeremy

23. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

SunPsych08 said...

I've submitted to RDS a zipped pdf file containing sample logos for people to look at. They were designed by Ms Gina Stephens (Graphic Artist [Victoria, Australia]) from a couple of basic ideas of mine. We wanted the logos to suggest various attributes of Euphoria: bright, crisp, uncluttered; simple (but not "simplistic"); speed; higher-level; sequence (viz { } ); slice (viz [ ... ] ); procedure/function (viz ( ) ).

Alex,

Is Ms. Gina Stephens willing to donate one of the Logo's for our use?

Also, I'll start with my comments on these logos.

1. I don't care for the boxy outline of #1, #2, #3 and #5.
  2. I really like #4 as it looks like it will fit right into many forms of documentation.
  3. I love the use of { ... } as a sequence is one of the main powerhouses of Euphoria.
  4. I really like the O in #6 and #7, I think the colors of #7 a bit better.
  5. I don't care for the ( ) in #8 as much as the { } in others.
  6. #9 contains a large area of graphics that would make a lot of white space elsewhere when put on a web page or in docs.
  7. The E style in #10, #12, #27, #28, #30 and #31 seem too much like the E logo of Internet Explorer.
  8. #11 is nice, but it doesn't seem to catch me as much as #4, #6 or #7.
  9. #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18 remind me of a laundry detergent logo for some reason.
  10. #15 doesn't have enough colors
  11. #16 isn't as nice as the others of it's type that has the sun burst in the background
  12. Of the circular types, #13-#20, I think I like #18 the best, but I can't explain why getlost
  13. #21, #22, I like the { } too much to like these ones better than the others with { }
  14. Hm, there are 2 #21's and #22's, opps.
  15. 2nd #21, #22 and #23, I don't like how the { ... } breaks up the Euphoria word.
  16. #24, #25, #26 and #29 I'm just not a fan of any of those E's.
  17. #27, #28, #30 and #31 all have the "IE" E that I mentioned earlier.
  18. #32 I think is too tall for the actual font height that says what it is.
  19. #33 and #34 are not as exciting as the others.
  20. #35 is too much vertical space for the logo vs. the text.

Overall? It's very hard to pick which would be my favorite. I can eliminate many, which is what I did in my above list. I'll be interested in hearing other peoples comments.

Jeremy

24. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Hi

I Like the circled ones best, but have little preference between them. Al would translate to an icon nicely.

Put them on a web page, with a polling vote, eliminating losers and restarting the vote every few days - after a week or 2 tou will have the new logo.

Chris

25. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Here's some ideas. Refer to likes/dislikes by {row,column} or by filename. Many of these are amenable as to color and font style so feel free to make suggestions.

26. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

euphoric said...

Here's some ideas. Refer to likes/dislikes by {row,column} or by filename. Many of these are amenable as to color and font style so feel free to make suggestions.

The diagonal, capital Es (row 2, cols 4-7) look a lot like the Dell logo.

Matt

27. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

mattlewis said...
euphoric said...

The diagonal, capital Es (row 2, cols 4-7) look a lot like the Dell logo.

I had to dodge Enron's logo too. getlost So I guess no rotated capital E. smile

28. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

They are all pretty good but I think 7 & 9 are best. The rest remind me too much of laundry detergent logos.

http://www.tide.com/en-US/index.jspx?gclid=CKSD_onx3ZwCFR0Sagod8hsoKA http://www.ilovegain.com/home.do http://www.glad.com/

It thinks its all the ovals and parallelograms.

29. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
SunPsych08 said...

Comments anyone?

Can you email me the logo's in a png/jpeg format at a sensible size?

Sure Jeremy; can do. I'm not au fait with "sizing" these images. If you tell me what is a "sensible size", I'll ask Gina to resize them. Once done, where should I send them?

Alex Caracatsanis

30. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
SunPsych08 said...

I've submitted to RDS a zipped pdf file containing sample logos for people to look at.

Is Ms. Gina Stephens willing to donate one of the Logo's for our use?

Yes. I'm paying her for her work. She'll do what the Eu community wants: modify the samples; design new ones; receive ideas directly from someone on behalf of the community... There's no obligation to use her, of course. I just wanted to put some concrete ideas out there for people to consider. If we do decide to use her I'll pay her fee - and that'll be my contribution to Euphoria, like others have contributed so much time/effort getting us to this point. Again, no obligation.

Alex Caracatsanis

31. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ssallen said...

The rest remind me too much of laundry detergent logos.

LOL, that's the first thing i thought when i saw them. smile

32. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ryanj said...
ssallen said...

Well, this is the third person, so it seems a batch of them are out (at least by the responses thus far).

Which one's did you like or did you not like any of them? Don't forget, there are others submitted in this thread also.

Jeremy

33. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
ryanj said...
ssallen said...

Well, this is the third person, so it seems a batch of them are out (at least by the responses thus far).

Which one's did you like or did you not like any of them? Don't forget, there are others submitted in this thread also.

Jeremy

I like the style of most of them- they are creative, i just don't know if they are good for a programming language. However something like 6, 7, 8, 9, or 11 might work. I also like more of a rectangle than an ellipse.

34. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ryanj said...

I like the style of most of them- they are creative, i just don't know if they are good for a programming language. However something like 6, 7, 8, 9, or 11 might work. I also like more of a rectangle than an ellipse.

To keep the conversation going, why are they not suited for a programming language and what would you change to make them suitable for a programming language or what would you suggest?

Jeremy

35. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
ryanj said...

To keep the conversation going, why are they not suited for a programming language and what would you change to make them suitable for a programming language or what would you suggest?

Jeremy

Actually, i think it's just the shape that i don't like. Perhaps use a rectangle with rounded corners, or not even a defined shape. I do like the rays of light and curvey streaks of color, just not the obvious ellipse border. Perhaps just put fancy text on top of a curve or two and rays of light. One nice thing about rays of light is that they could be angled in a way to allow them to be extended across a web page to make a cool background for the top banner and the left side or body of the page.

36. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I'm assuming this logo would be used on the website, correct? As far as an icon for euphoria, i think a simple {e} or {eu} in the same color scheme and font as the logo would be nice.

37. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Another thought i had...maybe a box or can laying on it's side with the top open, with rays of light and the words "open euphoria" coming out of it? smile It could represent euphoria getting "out of the box" and released to the world as open source. Someone mentioned something like this before, and i liked that idea.

38. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ryanj said...

I'm assuming this logo would be used on the website, correct? As far as an icon for euphoria, i think a simple {e} or {eu} in the same color scheme and font as the logo would be nice.

The logo would be used for the website, documentation html, pdf, etc...

Jeremy

39. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I think Gina's logos are very well made, despite the fact that blue sunbursts appear to be a signature mark for laundry detergents. blink

My personal favourite is #6, I love the "o" although might I suggest removing the square brackets and periods from "open", it makes it look optional to me.

Euphoric's logos have potential as icons (the ones that don't immediately resemble existing company logos) but convey less meaning. An outsider would not know from looking what the logo represents without extra explanations, and I think this is important.

Now for my two cents. It's vaguely relevant. Uninterested readers turn away now. What follows is all my own worthless opinion but I put it forward anyway for your consideration.

Why I think Euphoria never did as well as it deserves: It's the name people! "Euphoria" sounds to me like someone is trying really hard to sell something. It has it's roots in the original commercial release where I think it worked well. The open community seems to regard it with some suspicion though, a humorous or technically clever name might be much more appropriate and suitable.

The other problem with "Euphoria" I see is as a name it is too easily overlooked, forgotten or otherwise makes less of an impression than it should. A name that is a unique word and promotes a moment's thought somehow by being clever or funny should make it stick in the mind and may promote more "Oh, I remember that.." moments for people.

Now I am terrible with names and can only offer criticism not suggestions but I really needed to get this off my chest. Phew.

Cheers, Nick.

40. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

prickle said...

Euphoric's logos have potential as icons (the ones that don't immediately resemble existing company logos) but convey less meaning. An outsider would not know from looking what the logo represents without extra explanations, and I think this is important.

This can be said of many well-known logos.

The term "OpenEuphoria" is obviously what and who we are, and will be featured on the web site. But it is important that we find an iconic image that over time and much exposure has people thinking, "Euphoria," without any prompting from us (other than the icon itself).

prickle said...

It's the name people!

Yeah, I'm going to keep pushing the name "TooL." Regardless, a one-syllable name seems appropriate in this day and age. smile

41. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Is the "open" part required?

There's tons of open source code bases out that do not include "open" in their name. If "open" is required, perhaps some sort of Eu syntax juxtapositioning the two words.

I am partial to 6 and 7, and would like to see more variations on that, mostly using Eu's []{}.. in the logo, perhaps meaningfully. I'd lose the ovals and circles and long swooshes. Not liking the elongated lower horizontal on the 'E' in 1..5.

There's a number of languages that use an abbreviation or an acronym, or a partial of either, like we use "Eu". Like i use "Euphorum". Perhaps it's time to retire the dubious RDS reason for calling the language "euphoria". Just an idea, it's nearly 2010.

useless

42. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Well, I'd like to propose some hieroglyph for the Open Euphoria logo.

For example:

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/oeu.jpg

Regards, kinz

43. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

After browsing some of these...

For websites and such, I like Gina's logos especially numbers 7, 11, and 32.

For icons, I like both Igor's submissions to the archive and euphoric's simple ideas, especially row one column one which just looks like a green {e} on a black background.

44. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jaygade said...

...euphoric's simple ideas, especially row one column one which just looks like a green {e} on a black background.

I liked the concept of including brackets in the logo, as they allude to sequences, one of Euphoria's unique elements and strengths. The green on black looks like a programmer's console, so it works well IMHO.

I don't like any of Gina's logos for our purposes. IMHO, they are not simple enough, some of the design elements don't work (the square brackets), and the coloring is not to my tastes. If we're going to have a large logo for the web site, we'd need to see the corresponding icon as well that matches the design.

Igor's logos look like they contain "ei," which I can't translate. However, I like their simplicity and think they would work well as both an icon and a logo.

As examples of logo/icon design simplicity, see the following:

PHP
Ruby
Python

etc...

45. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

euphoric said...

I don't like any of Gina's logos for our purposes. IMHO, they are not simple enough, some of the design elements don't work (the square brackets), and the coloring is not to my tastes. If we're going to have a large logo for the web site, we'd need to see the corresponding icon as well that matches the design.

Hm. I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure we should shoot for an all inclusive logo? An icon will be used rarely, the logo will be displayed everywhere.

Jeremy

46. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

A few more choices...

http://h.imagehost.org/0764/oeu5.png

http://h.imagehost.org/0515/oeu11.png

http://h.imagehost.org/0315/oeu12.png

Tom

47. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I like the rainbow icons RDS uses.

48. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

I'm not sure we should shoot for an all inclusive logo? An icon will be used rarely, the logo will be displayed everywhere.

The icon will be displayed whenever you see Euphoria source, or maybe an executable for which you don't use a custom icon. I don't know about you, but I see the current Euphoria icon everywhere!

And a logo that can function as an icon is far more versatile. It goes on hats, pens, golf balls, stationary, shirts, avatars, desktops. blink

So, yes... we should shoot for a logo that can also serve as an icon. You can always expand on the idea. For example, say we choose the {e} icon. Then, for the web site, you can "expand" it into a web logo and make it {euphoria}. That's somewhat adhering to what I mean where the logo and icon should be stylized the same.

Anyway, look again at the examples I provided of other logos/icons. They are simple, eye-catching, and have a "tech" feel. I don't want to see something flowery or colorful for a Euphoria icon/logo. The perception should be one of technology/programming/science.

49. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

euphoric said...

The icon will be displayed whenever you see Euphoria source, or maybe an executable for which you don't use a custom icon. I don't know about you, but I see the current Euphoria icon everywhere!

Really!? I see whatever editor the file is associated with. The only time I see the Icon is when I run a program via euiw.exe

euphoric said...

And a logo that can function as an icon is far more versatile. It goes on hats, pens, golf balls, stationary, shirts, avatars, desktops. blink

And the ones presented cannot go on any of those item? Of course they can. Well, maybe not pens or golf balls.

euphoric said...

So, yes... we should shoot for a logo that can also serve as an icon.

You have not convinced me.

euphoric said...

You can always expand on the idea. For example, say we choose the {e} icon. Then, for the web site, you can "expand" it into a web logo and make it {euphoria}. That's somewhat adhering to what I mean where the logo and icon should be stylized the same.

How is that any different than using some of the ones that many of the others like that use { } and OpenEuphoria? Also, with just the plain e logos, the first thing I think of is Eiffel, as it has a larger user base.

euphoric said...

Anyway, look again at the examples I provided of other logos/icons. They are simple, eye-catching, and have a "tech" feel. I don't want to see something flowery or colorful for a Euphoria icon/logo. The perception should be one of technology/programming/science.

How is a ruby technical? or the Python logo? None of them are technical. The { Open... Euphoria } logos are far more technical than the others you used as examples. About eye-catching, I don't want to make anyone feel bad but they look like they were done by an amateur, they just have that feel to them. Now, please don't take that the wrong way! I'm just trying to portray my thoughts on the subject. You don't see any logos submitted by me because I know I couldn't come close to doing something like any of the submitted logos.

Jeremy

50. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

I see whatever editor the file is associated with. The only time I see the Icon is when I run a program via euiw.exe

You make the editor the program that opens your source files. I keep the interpreter as the main program. I wonder how most people do it.

a-ha! New idea for euWeb: SURVEYS! smile

jeremy said...
euphoric said...

You can always expand on the idea. For example, say we choose the {e} icon. Then, for the web site, you can "expand" it into a web logo and make it {euphoria}. That's somewhat adhering to what I mean where the logo and icon should be stylized the same.

How is that any different than using some of the ones that many of the others like that use { } and OpenEuphoria?

It's not different and I didn't say it was. The problem is, we haven't seen icons for any of those logo ideas. I was just suggesting that some be made.

jeremy said...

Also, with just the plain e logos, the first thing I think of is Eiffel, as it has a larger user base.

So? When I see "EU," I think "European Union."

It is probably a rare Euphorian who even knows that Eiffel is a programming language and not a tower in Paris.

It's going to be a rare logo that doesn't confuse somebody. blink

jeremy said...
euphoric said...

How is a ruby technical?

It's compact, simple, and eye-catching. Maybe it doesn't match "technical." 3 out of 4 is good.

jeremy said...

or the Python logo?

If you don't know the difference between a technical feel and a not-technical feel, I don't think my words are going to help.

My primary concern is this: I don't want to see something flowery or colorful for a Euphoria icon/logo. I know that sentiment is shared by others. But not Critic. He likes the rainbow. getlost

jeremy said...

The { Open... Euphoria } logos are far more technical than the others you used as examples.

Cut down on the flowery coloring and many of them just might work fine!

jeremy said...

I'm just trying to portray my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks. Me too. smile

51. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

euphoric said...

Igor's logos look like they contain "ei," which I can't translate.

The idea under this logo is to combine 'e' and 'u', and you can see the pure part of 'e', the common part of 'e' and 'u' and pure part of 'u'. See please once more this combined letter, 'eu'. It is not like to 'i', 'i' has very important dot on its top.

Then, this combined new letter 'eu' can be very easily transformed to Russian letter, which sounds as 'u', same as English 'eu'. To make this transforming, just see on English logo in mirror.

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/oeu-01-r.jpg

And if you turn this English logo to 180 degrees, you get the first letter of Russian translation of the 'Euphoria' word.

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/oeu-02-r.jpg

So, this logo has some interesting 'secret' properties. See please more variants of this logo-icon.

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/oeu-02.jpg http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/oeu-03-r.jpg http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/rbw-oeu.jpg

Regards, kinz

52. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Jeremy

I don't have a personal desire to promote Gina's work (she only implemented some fuzzy ideas I had for a logo); she's not a programmer; she wasn't sure whether we were looking for a symbol, an icon, an image for the website, or whatever... But she's a professional graphic artist, and she was genuinely interested in lending a hand at no cost to the general Euphoria community.

Perhaps we could do something like this:

• list the various design criteria we're discussing here
  • elect one of our more "senior" Euphorians to represent us collectively
  • let him/her contact Gina and discuss what we're looking for
  • ask her to send us some samples based on our preferences
  • display everyone's submissions on a single site
  • evaluate each submission against our initial criteria
  • vote for the winning entry

Alex Caracatsanis
PS: I'm automatically excluded from representing Euphorians: I'm beyond "senior"(actually, "senescent"); I haven't ventured beyond the console; I had to look up "logo" in the dictionary. But I can give you Gina's email, if you want it.

53. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

The idea about combination of 'e' and 'u' for Open Euphoria logo seems to be productive ...

See please one more example:

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/logo.jpg

Regards,
kinz

54. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

The idea about combination of 'e' and 'u' for Open Euphoria logo seems to be productive ...

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/logo.jpg

Regards,
kinz

I think that's VERY nice!
Could I suggest you alter it something like this?
(with apologies for mangling your very nicely done art!)

http://imgbin.org/images/770.jpg

I'm not an artist, so I couldn't modify your's as well as your original, the points are:
make the "U" look more like a "u"
would need a thicker "O" to accomodate a more properly extended portion for the "u"
"..pen" would have to be a little lower
and "..phoria" might have to be a little higher

just a thought.

Dan

55. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I don't see anything *wrong* with kinz's design (other than "where's the 'u' ?"), i am at the other end of the pendulum swing from flowery-artistic and the RDS logo. I'd prefer something technical, to set it in a camp far from the various connotations the Eu logo has now, and separate from the European Union. Not that i want the 1970's sans serif all caps blocks of letters designs for programming languages either.

Regardless of the various ways one could manipulate an image to be cyrilic characters, or cute origami, i think the 'E' and 'u' should be distinct and readable. If someone goes to google the letters in the logo, you want them to find EUphoria, no?

Since Euphoria has been "open" only a year, i do not believe "open" should be in the Eu logo any more than it is in any *nix, PHP, Apache, Perl, Python, etc etc logo. Any logo change will be enough to distance it from RDS's rainbow swooshing thing, it doesn't need to spell out "open". Look at it from a 10 yr perspective.

I vote too, the use of "Eu" or "Euph" alone, as part of redefining the language description: "Euphoric Union of Programming .... " and then i lose it. While i agree Euphoria can be rapid deployment of shorter jobs, it can also be longer development of more complex work now. Euphoria's release of v4, it's being "open", and the soon-to-be dropping of all things dos, means it's evolving to include what we pestered RDS about for many years, so a new backronym reflecting the new v4+ Eu would be appropriate. Suitable kudos to RDS should still remain on the Eu webpages somewhere, however.

useless

56. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

useless said...

I don't see anything *wrong* with kinz's design (other than "where's the 'u' ?"),

If you see '@', do you ask "where's the 't' ?"?
If you see '&', do you ask "where's the 'nd' ?"?
Same about the combined 'eu' idea, it is just some new letter (maybe new, maybe not, I just believe it is new). This letter sounds as "eu".
So, we do not change the copyrighted brand name of the EUPHORIA programing language in any way, we just reserve a new sign for it.
Is this new sign good or it isn't - it is just another question.
I like it, what to do? blink

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/logo_01.jpg

I'd like to see anyone's variants of my examples, they are open to experiments, but for the Open Euphoria only. smile

Regards,
kinz

57. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I really liked the professional appearance of the others and the use of { } in the logo, as it shows some Euphoria code.

Jeremy

58. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz design (post # 56)
nice and simple would like to see a more restrained
colour scheme though

59. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

I really liked the professional appearance of the others and the use of { } in the logo, as it shows some Euphoria code.

Jeremy, {} is just empty sequence, i.e. nothing.
And {eu} will give you the syntax error, if eu is not a variable.
Do you want a logo with the EU syntax error? smile
So, it might be at least {"eu"}, or {'e'}.

Good, but too many punctuation signs for a logo, on my taste.
Then, {} is much more the C's property, than EU's, I think, no?
The most important letters in the EUPHORIA word are HO plus, maybe, R.
But EU is just our good tradition, EU sounds as YOU, it is YOUR language.
YOU+R = YOU ROBUST smile

So, combined 'eu' represents Euphoria better than {}, I think, sorry.

Regards,
kinz

60. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

We simply need a voting system as the current discussions are just what I like, what you like, what John likes. We will never solve anything this way as everyone has different tastes.

Jeremy

61. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Further, whatever logo we decide on has to be a high quality logo. The existing logo and also some posted here look very amateur, even on the rendering. Some are very pixelated, has jagged edges, the fonts are too expanded or smashed, etc...

Jeremy

62. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Further, whatever logo we decide on has to be a high quality logo. The existing logo and also some posted here look very amateur, even on the rendering. Some are very pixelated, has jagged edges, the fonts are too expanded or smashed, etc...

Jeremy

Since there is an actual graphic artist waiting/willing to render a logo, put every visual suggestion onto a voting web page (pixelated etc or not, the idea is to SEE what might be interesting, she'll do the actual FINAL rendering), and accumulate votes.

And edit a LINK to the voting page into the first post in this thread.

Dan

63. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

raseu said...

kinz design (post # 56)
nice and simple would like to see a more restrained
colour scheme though

OK, no problem, it is with the transparent background now, in .png format. Open it in the GIMP editor and fill letters with any color scheme you love:

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/logo_t1.png

But to make it more smooth I just need the exact size of future real logo on the Open Euphoria Web page.

Regards,
kinz

64. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

The one thing that I don't like about this logo is it's really hard to bring out what it's trying to say. We know because we are euphoria programmers. The O, E and U just blend too much.

Jeremy

65. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

How is this?

Abbreviated:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/eu-logo1.png

Expanded:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/eu-logo2.png

As an icon:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/eu-logo3.png

-Greg
Forked into: favicon.ico

66. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Ooh. Very nice, very simple.

I think the braces are an important visual cue (or que or queue?? grin ) which I think I mentioned before.

I certainly prefer blues and purples/violets to reds or oranges, but blue and orange seems to fit in with the current theme of this website.

67. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jaygade said...

I think the braces are an important visual cue (or que or queue?? grin ) which I think I mentioned before.

cue n.
discriminative stimulus: a stimulus that provides information about what to do

-Greg

68. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ghaberek said...
jaygade said...

cue n.
discriminative stimulus: a stimulus that provides information about what to do

-Greg

cue (noun) 2 : a feature indicating the nature of something perceived

69. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jaygade said...

cue (noun) 2 : a feature indicating the nature of something perceived

I like mine better. As in, "see euphoria, have euphoria". tongue

-Greg

70. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
kinz said...

The one thing that I don't like about this logo is it's really hard to bring out what it's trying to say. We know because we are euphoria programmers. The O, E and U just blend too much.

OK, no problem, see please a standard web size banner and one more example for details :

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/banner-oeu.png http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/opeupl.jpg

This way, we have the official name of our language and its reserved sign (icon) to not confuse it with any other EU, eu, e, E, eU or Eu. And we can on click (on icon) give user a page with full description of sense of this icon and its other available (or valid) variants. And you can add some decorations or skins to this logo by yourself (as admin, author, programmer and owner of your web-site).

Regards,
kinz

71. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Igor, the problem I have with these is that it looks like "ei" or "el" and definitely not "eu".

72. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...

Igor, the problem I have with these is that it looks like "ei" or "el" and definitely not "eu".

OK, it is a good thing!
It looks strange and generates the questions for the first time at least. Any reader asks - what a hell, looks like 'i' but where is that dot, looks like 'l' but why so low?

See please one more picture:

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/euil.png

It is the Times New Roman font.
Do you see the diffs more clearly now?
And this strangeness is some common thing for really new logo.
See for example the Sun logo, it requires some thinking to see that its icon consists of 4 "sun" words.

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/sun.png

Regards,
kinz

73. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...
DerekParnell said...

OK, it is a good thing!
It looks strange and generates the questions for the first time at least. Any reader asks - what a hell, looks like 'i' but where is that dot, looks like 'l' but why so low?

See for example the Sun logo, it requires some thinking to see that its icon consists of 4 "sun" words.

I don't get at all what you are trying to say that eu looking like an I or L is a good thing. Of course in a different font, not smashed together they don't look the same.

I agree with Derek 100%, it's way too confusing and very hard to see what it's even saying. The Sun logo, you can clearly and easily see Sun 4 times. There is not difficulty in reading it.

Jeremy

74. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I think if you look at #53, you can better tell what Igor's going for. You can make out the 'u' by imagining the 'e' is part of it. They're kind of blended together.

While I appreciate the idea, its execution just isn't there yet.

75. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
kinz said...
DerekParnell said...

OK, it is a good thing!

I don't get at all what you are trying to say that eu looking like an I or L is a good thing.

Not 'eu', but the 'u'-portion of the combined new proposed character looks like 'i' without dot, or like too low 'l'.
No, that portion is not i-without-dot, nor too-low-l.
See? It is a portion of 'u'. Nothing more.
But these features make some sense as some little enigma in logo.

jeremy said...

Of course in a different font, not smashed together they don't look the same.

Yes, and we have some very strange fonts, for example, EmporiumCapitals, First Order, Pseudo Saudi, Rustic_Capitals, Universal Jack etc etc etc.

jeremy said...

I agree with Derek 100%, it's way too confusing and very hard to see what it's even saying.

He-he-he, Derek doesn't say "it's way too confusing and very hard to see what it's even saying".
I see, you do not like my proposition, what to do, but now, with all proposed logos in this topic, you can make tons of skins for your site and switch them on randomly every time the user visits your site again.

jeremy said...

The Sun logo, you can clearly and easily see Sun 4 times. There is not difficulty in reading it.

No, I could not to see these suns first time. But now I do see these 4 suns and think it is an interesting icon.

Regards,
kinz

76. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...
jeremy said...

I agree with Derek 100%, it's way too confusing and very hard to see what it's even saying.

He-he-he, Derek doesn't say "it's way too confusing and very hard to see what it's even saying".

He does say it looks like different things: ""ei" or "el" and definitely not "eu"" which to me means it's hard and confusing to see what it's actually trying to say.

Jeremy

77. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

WARNING I'm not a graphic artist smile

As an amateur I submit these two logo ideas.

Mode Image
Color http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogocl.png
Gray scale http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogobw.png

78. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

And here is an icon idea ...

http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogo.ico

79. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...

As an amatuer I submit these two logo ideas.

In Color http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogocl.png
In Gray scale http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogobw.png

Derek, in the GIMP editor, there is separate mode of Logos, in the File menu. It has tons of themes and modes of every theme.

See an example please, in a second or two it generated such a logo:

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/chrom.png

Try please that mode of GIMP, maybe it is exactly what you need as an amateur.

Regards,
kinz

80. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Of all the suggestions the simplicity and clean lines of Greg's idea appeal to me the most.

What font did you use for the writing Greg? I would like to play around with it a bit and see if perhaps I can produce a handtweaked fav ico that would look good at lower resolution.

Jansek

ghaberek said...

How is this?

Abbreviated:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/eu-logo1.png

Expanded:

As an icon:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/eu-logo3.png

-Greg
Forked into: favicon.ico

81. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

JansekVillaria said...

Of all the suggestions the simplicity and clean lines of Greg's idea appeal to me the most.

What font did you use for the writing Greg? I would like to play around with it a bit and see if perhaps I can produce a handtweaked fav ico that would look good at lower resolution.

Just Arial. Blue color is {153,102,204}. Orange is {247,150,70}.

-Greg

82. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://h.imagehost.org/0008/g4495.png

83. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_01.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_03.png

kinz

84. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_04.png

kinz

85. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_07.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_08.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_09.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_10.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_11.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_12.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_13.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_14.png

kinz

86. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://h.imagehost.org/0534/brace.png

87. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I kinda like
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_01.png
It's spacey! Reminds me of Star Trek a little bit (or Langwar? blink )

But I'm still more partial to

Lots of good submissions, though! When do we start voting?

88. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_15.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_16.png

kinz

89. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jaygade said...

Lots of good submissions, though! When do we start voting?

Yes, I think this design is my favorite so far. I'm not completely sold on the colors, but I think the idea is good.

Matt

90. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jaygade said...

Do we want to use the word Open ?

Jeremy

91. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_17.png

kinz

92. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
jaygade said...

Jeremy

I don't have a preference I don't know about others.

Forked into: Forked: should Euphoria logo use "Open"?

93. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_18.png

kinz

94. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/font.png

Well, I have eu-sign in my Windows TTF fonts now,
Unicode #E111 and #F005 smile

kinz

95. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/e_21.png

kinz

96. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I don't have any talent for drawing, but here's an idea: a simple thumbs-up.

97. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

How do you insert image in your post?

Jacques

98. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

{E{_}}

Upload an image to a site like www.imagehost.org

Enter their hotlink between braces

{{ http://h.imagehost.org/0372/brace2.png }} 

image appears...

http://h.imagehost.org/0372/brace2.png

99. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Thanks Tom

Ok here my 3 prefered ones

First choice http://h.imagehost.org/0247/e_04.png Need color improvement

second choice http://h.imagehost.org/0740/e_01.png need color improvement

third choice http://h.imagehost.org/0483/eu-logo2.png

this orange as replacement to choice one and 2 this blue as replacement for the big O in example 1

What about this (an eye) http://h.imagehost.org/0609/e_05.png

Jacques

100. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jacques_desch said...

What about this (an eye) http://h.imagehost.org/0609/e_05.png

Creepy. Still plenty of room left for disimprovements, though.

101. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/ceu_01.png

Rob likes this one very much, yes, Rob? smile

kinz

102. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/logo-fin-01.png

Well, I think we need to change our slogan, instead of
"Just say NO to complicated programming languages!" we
should use
"Just say YES to simple programming!"
Any war is bad, Language War too smile

Then, this picture may be mapped to open on-click pages with short explanations of the flag-icons, Eu operators, the 'EUPHORIA' abbreviation etc.

kinz

103. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
jaygade said...

Jeremy

How's this?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/openeuphoria-logo.png

-Greg

104. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Greg, what would that look like if you made the o, the p and the n of open the same color but changed the e to the color of euphoria and then dropped the e of eupohoria? I'd like to just see what that looks like.

105. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://h.imagehost.org/0427/snapshot.png

106. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://h.imagehost.org/0727/brace.png

107. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

The existing "e" languages have logos that look like this:

http://h.imagehost.org/0932/compare.png

108. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

I prefer last one with circle.

Jacques

109. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jacques_desch said...
_tom said...

I prefer last one with circle.

Jacques

the last one with the circle minus the caps lock :0

110. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/3d-eu-2-t-pl.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/ml3deu-03.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/ml3deu-03-t-t-01.png

These new ones are made useing the Hommage A Escher font
(author of font is Tibor Lantos, CC license). That font
consists (for now) just of low case Latin letters.

kinz

111. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

Euphoria is not Canadian any longer, it's open source and global. I don't think it should have a leaf.

Jeremy

Forked into: Canadian Euphoria

112. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
kinz said...

Euphoria is not Canadian any longer, it's open source and global. I don't think it should have a leaf.

Jeremy

That leaf is just a nice thing, with Canada flag or without Canada flag, maple is almost a global tree, so it is just a happy case that Rob lives in Canada, which has so beautiful flag.
Why not the maple leaf for a global EU logo?
There are two different leafs in my projects - of Canadian maple and of European maple, see please again - the first one is European one smile

Regards,
kinz

113. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/logo-wr-t2.png

kinz

114. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/glass-logo.png

kinz

115. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/blue-glass.png

kinz

116. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/or-bl.png

kinz

117. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/eu-ml-3dt.png

One maple leaf more ...

kinz

118. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/mod_old.png

Almost old good ...

kinz

119. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/mlg-eu-01.png

And again a maple leaf.

kinz

120. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Kinz, you seem fixated on that logo, yet I can't get over the fact that it looks like "ei" not "eu". I keep thinking to myself, "what is this 'ei' language?"

-Greg

121. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

One maple leaf more ...

kinz

Someone hasto say it:
some of these maple leaves look like marijuana, just with more lobes, praps a new variant.

useless

122. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

useless said...
kinz said...

One maple leaf more ...

kinz

Someone hasto say it:
some of these maple leaves look like marijuana, just with more lobes, praps a new variant.

useless

That was just mean Kat.

123. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ghaberek said...

Kinz, you seem fixated on that logo,

Yes, I think it is not that bad idea to combine 'e' and 'u' to some single new character and I just am trying the different variants of such a combination.
Same as you are trying the {} idea.

ghaberek said...

yet I can't get over the fact that it looks like "ei" not "eu".

Strange, it doesn't have that dot on top, do you see?

ghaberek said...

I keep thinking to myself, "what is this 'ei' language?"

I've explained already that it is the 'eu' language, and you can not remember it is 'eu' ???
Strange again ... Sorry ...

Regards,
kinz

124. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

useless said...
kinz said...

One maple leaf more ...

Someone hasto say it:

Maybe, I just did not see marijuana, never, I'm 63 now.
I've googled marijuana, cannabis, the cannabis leafs are only green, and, yes, they have something similar to that maple ...

Regards,
kinz

125. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

This is the Palace Script MT font. I've typed "ei" and "eu" for comparison. Clearly, the "ei" matches the logo you've come up with.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/ei-vs-eu.png

-Greg

126. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

46000+ views! LOL

This thread is ridiculous!

127. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ghaberek said...

This is the Palace Script MT font. I've typed "ei" and "eu" for comparison. Clearly, the "ei" matches the logo you've come up with.

-Greg

He's already explained. It is neither an ei or an eu, but rather a new letter/symbol that uniquely represents euphoria. It is formed by overlapping the 'c' curve of the letter e in eu with the first half of the letter u.

Now, a lot of people have complained that this new letter looks more like ei than eu. I thought otherwise before (in new roman font the new letter looks more like an overlapping e and u to me than the letters e and i next to each other), but your Palace Script MT font is starting to convince me otherwise. In that font, ei looks a lot more like the symbol than I feel comfortable with...

128. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

useless said...
kinz said...

One maple leaf more ...

kinz

Someone hasto say it:

useless

I always suspected that the language was name "euphoria" because of use or abuse of marijuana.

Jacques

129. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jimcbrown said...

He's [Igor] already explained. It is neither an ei or an eu, but rather a new letter/symbol that uniquely represents euphoria. It is formed by overlapping the 'c' curve of the letter e in eu with the first half of the letter u.

Yes, we get it. However, in spite of knowing how the symbol was derived and regardless of which font is used, it still has a high visual similarity to a cursive "ei". I know it is not "ei" and I know it has not got a dot above the right-most stroke, but it still looks like it. And on that basis alone, I feel that it is just too ambiguous to be used as a symbol to represent the Euphoria Programming language.

130. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...

Yes, we get it. However, in spite of knowing how the symbol was derived and regardless of which font is used, it still has a high visual similarity to a cursive "ei". I know it is not "ei" and I know it has not got a dot above the right-most stroke, but it still looks like it. And on that basis alone, I feel that it is just too ambiguous to be used as a symbol to represent the Euphoria Programming language.

Yes, I already said this.

131. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://a.imagehost.org/0738/EUcircle.png

132. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

I rather like the middle one, is it possible to shorten the word "programming" by a couple sylables? If not, then i prefer 1 and 2. Mostly 1 without the "Open".

useless

133. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

I rather like the middle one, is it possible to shorten the word "programming" by a couple sylables? If not, then i prefer 1 and 2. Mostly 1 without the "Open".

useless

134. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom, these look interesting. How about not making one bracket bold? And see how you can imagine a face in profile inside the bracket? That would be a cool effect if the two braces could be faces.

135. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

ghaberek said...

Greg, we have the famous English wording:
"Dot the i's and cross the t's !"
Sorry, your 'eu' looks like not dotted 'eii' - smile
Let's better see my new pictures:
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/number.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/number-2.png
Do you see the curly brackets sums?
Do you see the other brackets sums?

That curly thing is just rarest one in EU,
and why it is a logo ???????

Regards,
kinz

136. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

Because it represents one of the defining things about Euphoria - the sequence.

137. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

useless said...
_tom said...

useless

The last one is my prefered.

Jacques

P.S. where euphoric sees faces profiles I see birds.

138. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/you.gif

Just for better understanding... kinz

139. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

Just for better understanding...

You do read English, right? Good ... it looks like you forgot to dot the 'i'.

I know you haven't, but that's what it looks like!

140. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

I agree with Derek, the current trend of your logos looks like ei, not eu. Forget about what it really is, what it looks like is ei. The problem is that it is a mistake either way. The tail end is not a u, therefore, the reader is going to transpose in their mind what it really should be. They will think: is it more likely that the dot is missing from the i or that another underneath curve was forgotten by the writer? In a split second, everyone who reads English on a daily basis will decide the dot is missing from the i. Therefore, they will read the logo as EI, not EU.

Jeremy

141. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

Because it represents one of the defining things about Euphoria - the sequence.

Let's see the docs:

-icon filename[.ico]- (bindw only) When you bind a program, you can patch in 
                       your own customized icon, overwriting the one in 
                       exw.exe. exw.exe contains a 32x32 icon using 256 colors. 
                       It resembles an E) shape. 

Do you see, that the EU icon is "an E) shape"?
And this bracket is the most common for EU on the whole.
So the curly brackets are good, but they do not represent EU
well enough, I think.

Regards,
kinz

142. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

I agree with Derek, the current trend of your logos looks like ei, not eu. Forget about what it really is, what it looks like is ei. The problem is that it is a mistake either way. The tail end is not a u, therefore, the reader is going to transpose in their mind what it really should be. They will think: is it more likely that the dot is missing from the i or that another underneath curve was forgotten by the writer? In a split second, everyone who reads English on a daily basis will decide the dot is missing from the i. Therefore, they will read the logo as EI, not EU.

Jeremy

Hey, gentlemen, I just can not imagine a reader, who will
read the official logo and think that it is just not dotted
'i', error, bug, mistake, crap, shit and so on.
Do not keep your readers as idiots, please.
Most of readers just think - what is this new thing - and then
ask or search for explanation.
And any logo requires some explanation, you are right.
The {} thing too, BTW.

Regards,
kinz

143. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

Let's see the docs:

-icon filename[.ico]- (bindw only) When you bind a program, you can patch in 
                       your own customized icon, overwriting the one in 
                       exw.exe. exw.exe contains a 32x32 icon using 256 colors. 
                       It resembles an E) shape. 

Do you see, that the EU icon is "an E) shape"?
And this bracket is the most common for EU on the whole.

The ) was representing the rainbow, not a ). ) may be the most common however a comma is probably right up there as well. In fact, probably the most common is a space or tab. Actually, it's probably a e or i character but this is not at all the point!

kinz said...

well enough, I think.

Huh? The major language defining attribute about Euphoria is the sequence! How do you write a sequence? { }. Thus, { and } are the language defining character of Euphoria. Not a paren, comma i or e.

Jeremy

144. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
kinz said...

well enough, I think.

Huh? The major language defining attribute about Euphoria is the sequence! How do you write a sequence? { }. Thus, { and } are the language defining character of Euphoria. Not a paren, comma i or e.

Try please:

sequence a 
a = repeat(0,0) 
? a 

Without curly brackets.

Regards,
kinz

145. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...
jeremy said...
kinz said...

well enough, I think.

Try please:

sequence a 
a = repeat(0,0) 
? a 

Without curly brackets.

Regards,
kinz

Wrong. That outputs the curly brackets.

{} 

146. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jimcbrown said...
jeremy said...
kinz said...

well enough, I think.

kinz said...

Try please:

sequence a 
a = repeat(0,0) 
? a 

Without curly brackets.

Wrong. That outputs the curly brackets.

{} 

He-he, good catch, but Jeremy asked how to write, not output, see please once more his quote.

147. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

He-he, good catch, but Jeremy asked how to write, not output, see please once more his quote.

Yes, we can write sequences, and do everything we need to using sequences, without using curly brackets. It is possible, it is simple, sequences do not require the use of { or }.

But a simple ? will always remind us, no matter how well we try to hide it, that {} is the symbol of the sequence.

148. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

Try please:

sequence a 
a = repeat(0,0) 
? a 

Without curly brackets.

Of course there are hundreds of ways of constructing a sequence but the fundamental way of making a sequence is { }. ( and ) are common to thousands of languages as token divisors, the same as in Euphoria. ( and ) do not define Euphoria any more than the equal sign does, but I think I have given up on getting anywhere with this debate, sorry.

Jeremy

149. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Of course there are hundreds of ways of constructing a sequence but the fundamental way of making a sequence is { }.

Jeremy

As distinct from "", which also creates an empty sequence in practice, but conceptually represents the empty string (and the class of strings in general) rather than the empty sequence and class of all sequences.

150. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Not to say that the {} theme is the ultimate, but Inkscape is fun.

http://a.imagehost.org/0944/eu_brace2.png

151. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

Very nice one _tom

Jacques

152. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

That looks like a page i'd read down on a bit!

useless

153. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/en-eu.png

And pure Russian version:

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/ru-eu.png

Let's see once more the very first readme.doc:

---------------------  
			    Euphoria 1.0  
			Public Domain Edition  
			---------------------  

Welcome to Euphoria! ... End User Programming with Hierarchical Objects  
			  for Robust Interpreted Applications  

Euphoria is a new programming language developed by Rapid Deployment Software,  
 a Canadian software research and development firm.  

Euphoria is primarily a language for =End User's= like yourself. These are  
 people who want to develop software for their own use. They want fast ...  

=End User's= like yourself, RDS wants you as user of their language, first of all.

Let's give them 'you'-sign for their language. There is a free font editor in Windows, eudcedit command, it adds new signs to TTF fonts. It is just for our needs. See this command once more. EUdCedit - End User's different Characters. Combined 'e' and 'u' sounds as 'you', same in Russian mirrored version.

Cool, no ? smile

Regards,
kinz

154. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jacques_desch said...

P.S. where euphoric sees faces profiles I see birds.

With my poor imagination of a retired submariner I see tits, carramba none

155. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://a.imagehost.org/0096/views.png

Что такое Euphoria?

Euphoria is a simple, flexible, and easy-to-learn programming language. It lets you quickly and easily develop programs ...

The features that make it easy.

• consistent syntax
  • generic
    • using the same generic constructs for numbers and text is a grand simplification
  • easy to read blocks of code
    • for my eyes "end keyword" is simpler than indentation, () groupings, {} groupings, and the need for ; and . line demarcations.
  • one based indexing
    • reduces "off by one" errors
  • no need to declare datatypes
    • I know 'a', 97, and 97.0 are different mathematically, and for computers; but I usually don't care when I am programming
  • the sequence lets you organize any data
    • without the need for a datatype or structure for every nuance of organization
  • no need for manual effort to control memory storage and garbage collection
  • OOP is fascinating, but it gets in the way of simple programming
  • easier GUI
    • the wrappers for wxwigets, gtk, IUP, ... , are simpler than the original incarnations
  • fast

Many languages are now offering variations of these features. Only Euphoria seems to offer all of them in one package. (Though, I am interested in any updates in the progress of other languages.)

The "one" truly distinctive feature seem to be the sequence. Without it Euphoria would be just another language. With it, it is a language that makes it unique and distinctive from conventional languages. (Again, I am interested if any languages have managed to catch up with Euphoria.)

From this it "follows" that {} is reasonable starting point for the design of a Euphoria logo.

Sugar Maple

Yes, it is Fall, and colourful maple leaves are collecting on my lawn. In Toronto leaves are 'colourful' instead of 'colorful'. And yes, I have collected maple syrup.

Realistic maple leaf based logos are typical of 1950's artwork. Stylized maple leaf logos are current. Foreign corporations often stick a maple in a logo somehow to create a "Canadian" identity. The Canadian government is currently spending 35$ million to advertise (the maple leaf is prominent) how good they are at economic progress--the opposition parties are complaining this is a partisan pre-election ploy.

Unless a maple leaf is on a hockey uniform, many Canadians do not take notice of the maple leaf.

My conclusion is that a maple is not suitable for use in a Euphoria logo.

Cyrillic

The inability of a "westerner" to see "ei" or "ie" as being equivalent to "eu" must be cultural. I can look at the Russian alphabet and I can understand the frustration that is associated with this issue.

Unfortunately, I do not see any variation in artwork that would make a monogram of "e" and "u" work as a logo. (I even looked at Klingon.)

Submarines

I have heard the sound of ship propellers from inside a submarine hull. I will hide behind my expired security clearance and not elaborate.

It is fascinating in how two braces { } can elicit a variety of visual interpretations.

Logo?

What we need now are many variations, from as many people as possible.

For example: I did not think about {} until I saw {eu}phoria.

156. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

Logo?

What we need now are many variations, from as many people as possible.

For example: I did not think about {} until I saw {eu}phoria.

Let's see some typical C code from EU source:

void RTInternal(char *msg) 
// Internal error 
{ 
    RTFatal(msg); 
} 

-------- 

or better: 
       . . . 
	    free(p); /* give it back to malloc arena */ 
	    cache_size -= 2; 
	} 
    } 
} 

Do you see that {} is one of the main odious features of C language? The C style just is based on perpetuale {}, C just can not live without {}.

Why that main feature of C language texts claims to be a EU logo?

I see some call to migrate to C in {} or {} based logos of EU.

In EU, these {} are just sequence-formation operator, just one of different options to write a sequence, mainly simple and short one.

Regards,
kinz

157. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Igor said...

Do you see that {} is one of the main odious features of C language? The C style just is based on perpetuale {}, C just can not live without {}.

Why that main feature of C language texts claims to be a EU logo?

I see some call to migrate to C in {} or {} based logos of EU.

In EU, these {} are just sequence-formation operator, just one of different options to write a sequence, mainly simple and short one.

Igor,
I understand that you and I think differently about almost everything in the universe, so I acknowledge that this post is really a waste of both our time. However ...

You have it the wrong way around, in my opinion. The sequence is one of the definitive attributes of Euphoria, right? And the {} is the syntax Euphoria uses to write sequence literals and one of the ways to create sequences, right? Thus the {} could be used to represent that special thing (sequences) about Euphoria.

Braces are used in many different languages; mainly to show the lexical scope of a set of statements - e.g. a function, a class, a structure, etc ... Many languages have these constructs and they are not so special to any particular language; even Euphoria has similar constructs. So trying to use braces as an icon for those language is not very clever. But when thinking of Euphoria, the brace makes sense as it could symbolize that special aspect of the language.

Thanks for reading this far blink I won't be arguing the point with you so there is no need to reply, I just wanted to state that I have a different opinion from yours.

158. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...

<snipped>
Thanks for reading this far blink I won't be arguing the point with you so there is no need to reply, I just wanted to state that I have a different opinion from yours.

Derek, thanks, copy.

I've submitted my EU logos to RDS site, feel free to use them or not use for the Open Euphoria projects, programs, sites as you wish.

Regards,
kinz

159. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

You're still failing to see what everyone else is talking about. In C, { } is just a block delimiter, it has no real definition of a killer C feature. In Euphoria { } define sequences which is the defining characteristic of Euphoria. What you are trying to compare is not at all a valid comparison.

Jeremy

160. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

We should still recognize that Igor has made a valid point. There is a class of languages that are called "curly-bracket languages":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_bracket_programming_language

So we are making a "superior claim" to the use of { } in programming.

It is hard to say if {} will be interpreted as part of these languages or seen a a truly new thing. If we educate the world, they will see it our way.

As to logos, we still need fresh ideas. My creative skills are limited.

161. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...
kinz said...

You're still failing to see what everyone else is talking about. In C, { } is just a block delimiter, it has no real definition of a killer C feature. In Euphoria { } define sequences which is the defining characteristic of Euphoria. What you are trying to compare is not at all a valid comparison.

Jeremy, { killed, as you say, begin of Algol, Pascal etc, and } killed their end. So it is namely C's killer-feature.

So I'm not failing to see what everyone else is talking about, but I have my own opinion on this subject, on {} thing in EU itself and its possible role in EU logo.

{} is good in EU code, but it is not good in EU logo, I think.

Regards,
kinz

162. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I don't really like {} . I still prefer {eu}phoria.

163. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

Unless a maple leaf is on a hockey uniform, many Canadians do not take notice of the maple leaf.

My conclusion is that a maple is not suitable for use in a Euphoria logo.

Tom, but we, Russians, like the maple leafs very much, maple is klyon in Russian:
http://fotki.yandex.ru/search.xml?text=%D0%BA%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9+%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82&locate_text=

So my conclusion is that a klyon leaf is very good for EU logo. smile

Regards,
kinz

164. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Klyon really sounds as kl-your-n, kljon. Do you see "your" in Russian maple? blink Something mystic is in that nice leaf. EU anyway. You-language.

Regards,
kinz

165. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

And we have a song about maple leaf, very nice song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT-rIpcZCyE&NR=1

Klenovyj (= maple's) list (= leaf)

166. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://fotki.yandex.ru/top/users/volar70/view/220370
And this one ...

167. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

OK, let's try to search Google for new EU logo:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22new+letter+eu

Cool, no? smile

Then try to find 'e', 'eu', 'eup', 'euph' etc themselves.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22{eu}phoria

Regards,
kinz

168. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

And how to get new EU logos:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22new+eu+letter

Regards,
kinz

169. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

OK, let's try to search Google for new EU logo:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22new+letter+eu

Cool, no? smile

Then try to find 'e', 'eu', 'eup', 'euph' etc themselves.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22{eu}phoria

Regards,
kinz

Heh. Japanese girl bands are cool. It would be even better if they endorsed Euphoria language... smile

170. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jaygade said...

Heh. Japanese girl bands are cool. It would be even better if they endorsed Euphoria language... smile

Do not forget that RDS has it's own Japanese first lady smile
And Canada has it's own sakura trees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_blossom

Let's work on cherry blossom for EU logo smile

Regards,
kinz

171. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDjAN8sKb1A

Listen to Perez Prado for now ...
It is one of my favorite melodies, what to do...

Regards,
kinz

172. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/sf-03.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/sf-04.png

173. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/sf-01.png

174. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/sf-01.png

I think your flower logo is, in a way, the best looking logo yet.

But it's NOT pronounced "eeeeeeforia", it's "UUUUUforia"! !

You make some WONDERFUL looking logos, but I don't think anyone else here will accept "Ei" (without a "dot") as a replacement or alternative for "Eu".

I know you are enamored by the ability to "transform" your "Ei" into a Russian equivalent to "Eu", but "Ei" is pretty much meaningless to non-Russian (or similar) viewers.

For whatever it's worth, "Ei" just doesn't work at all for Euphoria, in my opinion.

But your flower motif, with {} braces and "Eu" would, I think, be superlative!

Dan

175. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

tom said...

Euphoria was originally developed in Raccoon City, located in Canada. Raccoon City is also known as "Toronto" or "Hog Town", or historically "Muddy York".

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-01.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-02.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-03.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-04.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-05.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-06.png

This raccoon is from the Moscow Zoo, photo by 14 years old
George Dyukov.
Raccoon is enot in Russian.

Regards,
kinz

176. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

kinz said...

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-01.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-02.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-03.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-04.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-05.png
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/enot-06.png

This raccoon is from the Moscow Zoo, photo by 14 years old
George Dyukov.
Raccoon is enot in Russian.

These are nice but I don't think anyone likes EI, regardless if it really is EU.

Jeremy

177. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

These are nice but I don't think anyone likes EI, regardless if it really is EU.

Only when it comes after 'c'.

Matt

178. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

A bit late in the day, I know, but no-one seems to have got anything at all like the Sun logo, which is quite well-known and recognisable. Also, it seems that many of the contributions would not actually be of value as an icon, and I would think that that is one of the main requirements. So how about some variant on this kind of thing? It is recognisable as "eu" anyway!

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/andy.png

Clearly there are many variants of this - I have one with a circle round, one with curly braces around, coloured, etc - but this is the basis. Any interest, gentlemen?

179. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

AndyDrummond said...

A bit late in the day, I know, but no-one seems to have got anything at all like the Sun logo, which is quite well-known and recognisable. Also, it seems that many of the contributions would not actually be of value as an icon, and I would think that that is one of the main requirements. So how about some variant on this kind of thing? It is recognisable as "eu" anyway!

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/andy.png

Clearly there are many variants of this - I have one with a circle round, one with curly braces around, coloured, etc - but this is the basis. Any interest, gentlemen?

I love it!

180. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

• bump*

181. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

4.0 is nearing completion, we really need a logo before that time.

To make sure that we don't lose them, I'm cross-linking all three logo threads along with the powered by euphoria thread.

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/113747.wc http://openeuphoria.org/forum/113748.wc http://openeuphoria.org/forum/113750.wc http://openeuphoria.org/forum/106779.wc http://openeuphoria.org/forum/109632.wc

182. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Tom said...

ugly

183. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

_tom said...

Yes! I very like this one

184. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Yeah, I like inkscape too.

I came up with these two...

One from ages ago http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogo2.png

And one just a few days ago http://derekparnell.id.au/eulogo1.png

185. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

coconut said...
_tom said...

Yes! I very like this one

The one thing w/this is that it may be good for a web banner or something but not for an icon. It would be nice to have something that works for both. I do like the {e} theme created by some. It would lend itself to an icon or a logo.

Jeremy

186. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I hafta say, having read through this thread for the first time toady, that I think (if we are agreed that it needs something like the php or ruby logo), then we should just design something that's simple, elegant, techy and lends itself to being rendered in a variety of ways. I had a play with some ideas, but kept coming back to the braces meme and decided all it needed was a suitable choice of font and colour scheme. So, I offer this for your consideration:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zjmc2f.jpg

Cheers, smudger

187. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger, I like those. We should consider also a logo in regards to how we would incorporate it or it's "style" into an icon for .e, .ex and resulting executable files (that do not define their own icon).

Just some more food for thought.

Jeremy

188. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger said...

...we should just design something that's simple, elegant, techy and lends itself to being rendered in a variety of ways.

smudger, I agree with your design proposal and I think your designs are nice. I wonder if you could make a few revisions for me to view:

1. the first one (open{euphoria}) with the word "open" the same color as "euphoria"
  2. the first one with the color for the text and braces reversed (so the words are gray and the braces are blue)
  3. the last one with just {e}. I don't like the idea of using "eu" because it's too European Union to me.

Other notes:

1. I think the second one could work just fine as a logo, and the icon would be the third one ({e}). We might adopt a mascot, and I've suggested a mongoose. :) Maybe you could put a mongoose around that logo.
  2. The third one as just {e} would still need to have a basic square dimension, meaning don't bring the braces in just because you remove the 'u'. Icon dimensions are usually square.

Anyhow, good job!

189. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Now you have too much choice! blink

http://i55.tinypic.com/2pzyafn.jpg

Cheers,
Smudger

p.s. the general plan if you want to go with the logo is to make it into a font
and then it can be rendered in whatever format/graphics package you want.

190. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Forgot the mongoose sad

I notice, that a mongoose standing up is like a curly brace (in the sense of being tall and thin),
so I will work on a graphic tomorrow. Should be simples.

Cheers,
Smudger

191. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger said...

Forgot the mongoose sad

Are you thinking of a meerkat specifically or one of the other types of mongoose?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/Meerkat_feb_09.jpg/300px-Meerkat_feb_09.jpg

192. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

DerekParnell said...

Are you thinking of a meerkat specifically or one of the other types of mongoose?

The kind of mongoose that eats cobras.

193. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I was thinking of a meerkat, yes. I just realised that there are different types of mongoose.

Meerkats are well known in the UK because of a TV series called Meerkat Manor and
a subsequent long-running TV ad campaign for motor insurance comparison called "compare the meerkat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/meerkat_manor/

http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/

Consequently, the image of a meerkat "standing to attention" has become quite iconic.

Smudger

194. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger said...

I was thinking of a meerkat, yes. I just realised that there are different types of mongoose.

Meerkats are well known in the UK because of a TV series called Meerkat Manor and
a subsequent long-running TV ad campaign for motor insurance comparison called "compare the meerkat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/meerkat_manor/

http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/

Consequently, the image of a meerkat "standing to attention" has become quite iconic.

Smudger

MEERKAT! YES!

Dan

195. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2r23t3d.jpg

Cheers,
Smudger

196. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

http://i54.tinypic.com/12169uf.jpg

Smudge

197. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

I like both of them, but with a comic character like that would like to see some life in him w/some colors or something?

Jeremy

198. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

I like both of them, but with a comic character like that would like to see some life in him w/some colors or something?

Jeremy

OK, thanks for your reply. I would offer the following:

Firstly, It's not a "comic character", this is a comic character (Timon from Lion King):

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLLOJtSEfustYkRdc5CrsfVsC-JSIwgb20F1qV1HPHPhvMu3qZ

My offer is a graphic illustration of a meerkat with a carefully balanced mix of bilateral symmetries/asymmetries intended to suggest a "friendly, approachable, techy" vibe.

Most (all?) meerkats are either a mix of greys with black or a mix of sand/beige colours with black.

As far as I can tell, a brand colour scheme has not been agreed, so to keep the colours in line with my current offers for the logo of blue/grey, I rendered the meerkat in grays as sand/beige shades would not be appropriate with steel grey/blue text.

Nothwithstanding the above, colour is a very emotive subject, and as no brand colour scheme has been pre-agreed, it is appropriate (in the first instance) to show the graphic rendered in neutral colours so that people can judge the merits of the graphic without being encumbered by considerations of colour.

Do you have any particular suggestions for a colour scheme?

Regards,
Smudger

199. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger said...

Do you have any particular suggestions for a colour scheme?

I'm lucky if I can get my pants to match my shirt. Sometimes I'm very lucky and have matching socks as well getlost Me, colors?

Jeremy

200. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

What about a ferret?

Ferrets
Mongooses
Meerkats

I still like the idea of a mongoose, but if not that, a ferret. They're cuter than meerkats.

201. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Is anyone (or any group) empowered to make a decision?

Is anyone *going* to make a decision?

If a decision is made to adopt a logo and/or mascot, is anyone likely to act on it?

How does the decision making process work? What time scale does it operate on?

I'm just trying to decide whether there is any mileage in me spending any more time working on this.

Regards,
Smudger

202. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger said...

Is anyone *going* to make a decision?

If a decision is made to adopt a logo and/or mascot, is anyone likely to act on it?

How does the decision making process work? What time scale does it operate on?

I'm just trying to decide whether there is any mileage in me spending any more time working on this.

These are all good questions and here is my driving force. Bar any major fault in RC2, 4.0 final will be released Dec 22. With this release I and others are going to being doing all we can do to spread the news of the 4.0 release to the wider programming audience. I would very much like to have a polished site and downloads of 4.0. Right now the site is presentable. The PDF manual needs quite a bit of styling work and I'd love to have our Logo on the cover page. More than all of that, though, our Icon that is distributed with Euphoria is terrible. It's 32x32 only, 256 colors, highly pixelated and a logo that is poorly rendered and no longer makes sense (even if it was well done, which it is not).

For our "rebirth" into the community, I'd like to have this stuff down.

Who has the authority? Ultimately I think it's up to the development team but we always seek community input. This thread, however, has went on for a long time with a wide variety of opinions.

In the end from all sorts of logos and products I have looked at it doesn't seem to matter what the logo is (as long as it's not something offensive or obviously wrong) only that it's well done and consistent.

Let me send an email to the other devs and get their thoughts as what I just wrote is simply my thoughts alone. I'll follow up again shortly.

Jeremy

203. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

OK, thanks for that Jeremy.

It's good that there is a deadline! I look forward to your further comments. Can I suggest you take the opportunity to start a new thread?, as this one is responsible for significant bandwidth!

Cheers,
Smudger

204. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

smudger said...

I have a few ideas about this whole process, can you send me an email? jeremy AT cowgar _ com

Jeremy

205. Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

Another suggestion:

http://d.imagehost.org/view/0858/cover_meercat

A meercat should go well with any logo.

(How about a Marmot?)

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu