Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

http://a.imagehost.org/0096/views.png

Что такое Euphoria?

Euphoria is a simple, flexible, and easy-to-learn programming language. It lets you quickly and easily develop programs ...

The features that make it easy.

• consistent syntax
  • generic
    • using the same generic constructs for numbers and text is a grand simplification
  • easy to read blocks of code
    • for my eyes "end keyword" is simpler than indentation, () groupings, {} groupings, and the need for ; and . line demarcations.
  • one based indexing
    • reduces "off by one" errors
  • no need to declare datatypes
    • I know 'a', 97, and 97.0 are different mathematically, and for computers; but I usually don't care when I am programming
  • the sequence lets you organize any data
    • without the need for a datatype or structure for every nuance of organization
  • no need for manual effort to control memory storage and garbage collection
  • OOP is fascinating, but it gets in the way of simple programming
  • easier GUI
    • the wrappers for wxwigets, gtk, IUP, ... , are simpler than the original incarnations
  • fast

Many languages are now offering variations of these features. Only Euphoria seems to offer all of them in one package. (Though, I am interested in any updates in the progress of other languages.)

The "one" truly distinctive feature seem to be the sequence. Without it Euphoria would be just another language. With it, it is a language that makes it unique and distinctive from conventional languages. (Again, I am interested if any languages have managed to catch up with Euphoria.)

From this it "follows" that {} is reasonable starting point for the design of a Euphoria logo.

Sugar Maple

Yes, it is Fall, and colourful maple leaves are collecting on my lawn. In Toronto leaves are 'colourful' instead of 'colorful'. And yes, I have collected maple syrup.

Realistic maple leaf based logos are typical of 1950's artwork. Stylized maple leaf logos are current. Foreign corporations often stick a maple in a logo somehow to create a "Canadian" identity. The Canadian government is currently spending 35$ million to advertise (the maple leaf is prominent) how good they are at economic progress--the opposition parties are complaining this is a partisan pre-election ploy.

Unless a maple leaf is on a hockey uniform, many Canadians do not take notice of the maple leaf.

My conclusion is that a maple is not suitable for use in a Euphoria logo.

Cyrillic

The inability of a "westerner" to see "ei" or "ie" as being equivalent to "eu" must be cultural. I can look at the Russian alphabet and I can understand the frustration that is associated with this issue.

Unfortunately, I do not see any variation in artwork that would make a monogram of "e" and "u" work as a logo. (I even looked at Klingon.)

Submarines

I have heard the sound of ship propellers from inside a submarine hull. I will hide behind my expired security clearance and not elaborate.

It is fascinating in how two braces { } can elicit a variety of visual interpretations.

Logo?

What we need now are many variations, from as many people as possible.

For example: I did not think about {} until I saw {eu}phoria.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu