1. IDE for Eu4?

I have to admit I am a very lazy Euphoria for Win XP programmer. I use Judith's IDE (EuVIDE) & Win32Lib. But yes, I ought to change to Eu4 but if I'm going to do that I really really want IDE to run under 4. Thus far it doesn't unless I have fouled something up.
Is there going to be a IDE4 on the way soon? I think Derek was going to look at it but it strikes me as being a huge job. If there is, I shall hang fire on Eu4 for now, but if not I suppose I had better bite the bullet and look at some of the other IDE type programs to work with Eu4 - like wxIDE. So ... anything happening on the IDE front?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: IDE for Eu4?

Having a 'modern' IDE/GUI builder would be so incredibly cool ... I can certainly live without it and I can certainly continue to take the output from other GUI builders and adapt the generated code for Eu4 ... but having one of 'our own'? Fantabulous My opinion only, your mileage most certainly will vary ... :)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: IDE for Eu4?

AndyDrummond said...

I have to admit I am a very lazy Euphoria for Win XP programmer. I use Judith's IDE (EuVIDE) & Win32Lib. But yes, I ought to change to Eu4 but if I'm going to do that I really really want IDE to run under 4. Thus far it doesn't unless I have fouled something up.
Is there going to be a IDE4 on the way soon? I think Derek was going to look at it but it strikes me as being a huge job. If there is, I shall hang fire on Eu4 for now, but if not I suppose I had better bite the bullet and look at some of the other IDE type programs to work with Eu4 - like wxIDE. So ... anything happening on the IDE front?

While we're waiting, I've taken the liberty of grabbing the latest EuVIDE from http://sourceforge.net/projects/euvide/files/IdeZip/IDE1-0-4/IDE1-0-4.zip/download

and run a modified version of David Cuny's concat.ex on it (since I'm on linux/GNU, I had to modify it to make it smart enough to figure out filenames based on case-insensitivity among other things).

This single file version only relies on the basic 3.1.1 includes and win32lib.ew - all the other includes have been combined into a single file.

Note that you'll still need to download the IDE.zip file since there are some external files used (like Languages/English.lng or the graphics in Resources/ )

Just copy this IDE.exw over the one in the extracted directory.

I'm hoping that this version will run on 4.0 with Derek's 4.0 compatible win32lib. (The only 4.0 keyword I saw used was function insert(), which I renamed to insert_() .) This file should continue to run on 3.1.1 as well.

I've also made a small change in IDE.exw so it will use euiw.exe instead of exw.exe - making it work with a 4.0 installation.

You can get it here: http://malcom.unkmar.com/lostsouls/IDE.exw

Or, if you want to have the IDE use exw.exe instead, I have a version without that change available here: http://malcom.unkmar.com/lostsouls/IDEall.exw

Note that since I'm on Linux/GNU, these files are completely untested.

4. Re: IDE for Eu4?

jimcbrown said...

Well, thanks Jim, you've done a lot but that magic word "untested" is a bit of a worry. I installed the IDE 1.0.4 and replaced IDE.exw - and under 3.1.1 it claimed that the first splash screen was missing.

C:\euphoria\BEIDE\IDE.exw:94 
Normal_35 has not been declared 
openWindow(splash, Normal_35) 
                           ^ 

At that point I have to go do some wretched paid work, but it doesn't bode well. I have to say I do prefer trying tested stuff rather than untested. Testing modified code makes me look up at a little poster on my wall which says "But all I did was ..... ".
I'm not saying it is wrong because probably I haven't set it up right just yet ... I will have a go again at lunchtime or whenever I have two minutes to rub together.

5. Re: IDE for Eu4?

AndyDrummond said...
jimcbrown said...

Well, thanks Jim, you've done a lot but that magic word "untested" is a bit of a worry. I installed the IDE 1.0.4 and replaced IDE.exw - and under 3.1.1 it claimed that the first splash screen was missing.

C:\euphoria\BEIDE\IDE.exw:94 
Normal_35 has not been declared 
openWindow(splash, Normal_35) 
                           ^ 

At that point I have to go do some wretched paid work, but it doesn't bode well. I have to say I do prefer trying tested stuff rather than untested. Testing modified code makes me look up at a little poster on my wall which says "But all I did was ..... ".
I'm not saying it is wrong because probably I haven't set it up right just yet ... I will have a go again at lunchtime or whenever I have two minutes to rub together.

It seems my folly was trying to combine the IDE without including win32lib. That causes the error you are seeing. (What happens is that without access to win32lib, it gets confused and thinks every global symbols exported by win32lib is actually a local symbol in each file. Then it tries to rename the local symbols differently to avoid naming conflicts, with disasterous results.)

I've redone IDEall.exw with win32lb v0.70.20, then discovered that win32lib enjoy doing tricks like reusing the same name as a local and a global symbol and sometimes declaring a global symbol twice in different files.

I'm still working on getting this fixed.

6. Re: IDE for Eu4?

I have IDE source that works with Euphoria 4.0. I used EuDist and zipped it up and stored it at http://www.usingeuphoria.com/files/ide-400.zip. It's around 1MB in size. With that, you can build an executable file or whatever.

7. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...

I have IDE source that works with Euphoria 4.0. I used EuDist and zipped it up and stored it at http://www.usingeuphoria.com/files/ide-400.zip. It's around 1MB in size. With that, you can build an executable file or whatever.

I've made a small change (again, untested - if I could test this myself I would have!).

http://malcom.unkmar.com/lostsouls/IDE-euphoric.exw has the 3-line change to use euiw.exe instead of exw.exe

8. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...

I have updated the archive. The original one 1) didn't load projects, and 2) didn't run projects.

Now it does both (using Euphoria 4.0.0 only), thanks to jimcbrown's clue... :)

Get it from the same URL above.

9. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...
euphoric said...

I have updated the archive. The original one 1) didn't load projects, and 2) didn't run projects.

Now it does both (using Euphoria 4.0.0 only), thanks to jimcbrown's clue... :)

Get it from the same URL above.

Yay! I got it from the file above and installed it. With some difficulty it ran.

I changed the extension to .exw4, and associated that with euiw.exe, but when I tried it run it it ran BitTorrent instead. In the end I simply created a shortcut and put in the explicit command c:\Euphoria40\bin\euiw.exe c:\euphoria40\ide4\ide4.exw4 and it ran. Hooray - I thought!

However, when I opened the Options to set things like opening maximized, most of the textual fields are just black rectangles. Which isn't a lot of use. I don't know if this is a problem with IDE, Eu4, my Eu3 + Eu4 installation, or what. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Then, if I ran the simplest program, it aborts with "CreateProcessHi failed". This I assume is a problem with installation - again do any of you worthy gentlemen have any thoughts?

Otherwise clearly we are getting somewhere. Judging by the number of reads of this thread there is a considerable interest in this being made to work.

10. Re: IDE for Eu4?

AndyDrummond said...

However, when I opened the Options to set things like opening maximized, most of the textual fields are just black rectangles. Which isn't a lot of use. I don't know if this is a problem with IDE, Eu4, my Eu3 + Eu4 installation, or what. Does anyone have any good ideas?

I just took a quick look. Those are text labels and I don't know why they're set to have a black background. That's strange! I'll see if there's a quick fix, but don't hold your breath.

AndyDrummond said...

Then, if I ran the simplest program, it aborts with "CreateProcessHi failed". This I assume is a problem with installation - again do any of you worthy gentlemen have any thoughts?

I think that is fixed with my latest updates. When I changed the IDE to use eui.exe (Euphoria 4.0.0) instead of exw.exe (Euphoria 3.x), I no longer get the "CreateProcessHi failed" error message. My programs run just fine from the IDE now.

11. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...
AndyDrummond said...

I think that is fixed with my latest updates. When I changed the IDE to use eui.exe (Euphoria 4.0.0) instead of exw.exe (Euphoria 3.x), I no longer get the "CreateProcessHi failed" error message. My programs run just fine from the IDE now.

Unless, of course, AndyDrummond is using 3.1.1 only and doesn't have 4.0.0 installed. In which case, the latest IDE update will attempt to run euiw.exe and have the CreateProcessHi fail because euiw.exe doesn't exist and exw.exe isn't tried.

12. Re: IDE for Eu4?

jimcbrown said...

Unless, of course, AndyDrummond is using 3.1.1 only and doesn't have 4.0.0 installed. In which case, the latest IDE update will attempt to run euiw.exe and have the CreateProcessHi fail because euiw.exe doesn't exist and exw.exe isn't tried.

A-ha. Yes. Okay. Well, there you have it.

Make sure you are running the proper interpreter for your version of the IDE. I guess... :)

13. Re: IDE for Eu4?

I've compiled the IDE using Euphoria 4.0.0.

It can be downloaded here.

The text labels on the Options dialog look normal! No black bars. So that's nice.

14. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...

I've compiled the IDE using Euphoria 4.0.0.

It can be downloaded here.

The text labels on the Options dialog look normal! No black bars. So that's nice.

Craps out at the first hurdle for me:

"You have removed English.lng from IDE\Languages and not replaced with any others. IDE may not continue."

Do I need to run IDE.exe from a particular directory?

Smudger

15. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...
jimcbrown said...

A-ha. Yes. Okay. Well, there you have it.

Make sure you are running the proper interpreter for your version of the IDE. I guess... :)

I may be dumb but not quite that dumb. I hope. I installed Eu4 from the latest installer, and am under the impression that the two variants use different methods to point to their includes etc. So I made my shortcut execute the Eu4 version of euiw.exe (should I just use eui.exe?) in the Eu bin folder. Ah - I actually mentioned what I had done. But maybe when the IDE tried to execute a program it was executing the wrong binaries? I don't know. Installing two versions of code to run in parallel is always a source of problems.

Anyway, I have now got the executable IDE - always the best way to go, IMHO - and will try that out. If I get a daft result then I will know it is a problem with paths etc. I really really want to keep Eu3 and its IDE in service because I have about 50 programs I have to play with occasionally. While I want to shift to IDE4 I do need this backward capability. Anyway we will see how it goes.

Thanks for all your efforts, though - much appreciated. Shame we're not all as smart as you guys .......

16. Re: IDE for Eu4?

OK, progress.

I had to put the IDE.EXE into the Euphoria 40\IDE folder - just as we had to do before.
I also had to rename the Euphoria 40 folder to Euphoria. Then the Noddy program ran OK.
This is understandable but not good. I guess IDE is still pointing to C:\Euphoria\bin to run the binaries. Since Eu4 loads into C:\Euphoria 40 by default, it would be very good if the IDE4 also used that path.

If it would be possible, Sir, to do that change, I/we would have the potential to have both Eu3 & Eu4 in the same system, each with its own IDE, and not compromising each other. So - we are nearly there. Great. I await the next IDE.exe with bated breath. Well, eagerly, anyway. Great work!

17. Re: IDE for Eu4?

smudger said...

"You have removed English.lng from IDE\Languages and not replaced with any others. IDE may not continue."

Do I need to run IDE.exe from a particular directory?

Try downloading the ZIP archive and running it from in there... OR, use the files it wants from the archive in your own file path. I think there are two files it's gonna need, the one being that English.lng file and another once you give it the English.lng file.

18. Re: IDE for Eu4?

AndyDrummond said...

OK, progress.

I had to put the IDE.EXE into the Euphoria 40\IDE folder - just as we had to do before.
I also had to rename the Euphoria 40 folder to Euphoria. Then the Noddy program ran OK.
This is understandable but not good. I guess IDE is still pointing to C:\Euphoria\bin to run the binaries. Since Eu4 loads into C:\Euphoria 40 by default, it would be very good if the IDE4 also used that path.

If it would be possible, Sir, to do that change, I/we would have the potential to have both Eu3 & Eu4 in the same system, each with its own IDE, and not compromising each other. So - we are nearly there. Great. I await the next IDE.exe with bated breath. Well, eagerly, anyway. Great work!

Right now, I believe that the IDE is still looking at EUDIR. IDE40 probably should not depend on eudir since eu 4.0 is trying to drop the dependence on EUDIR.

19. Re: IDE for Eu4?

AndyDrummond said...

I guess IDE is still pointing to C:\Euphoria\bin to run the binaries.

Is that hard-coded in there? I don't think so. I'm not at a PC where I can check at the moment... but search the source in IDE.exw for euiw.exe and see if the path is hard-coded. If not, then it might be because you don't have Eu4 configured right. Have you got something like "-eudir c:\eu40\" in your eu.cfg file (where -eudir points to your Eu4 installation path)?

20. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...
AndyDrummond said...

I guess IDE is still pointing to C:\Euphoria\bin to run the binaries.

Is that hard-coded in there? I don't think so. I'm not at a PC where I can check at the moment... but search the source in IDE.exw for euiw.exe and see if the path is hard-coded. If not, then it might be because you don't have Eu4 configured right. Have you got something like "-eudir c:\eu40\" in your eu.cfg file (where -eudir points to your Eu4 installation path)?

Hmm, does the IDE know about eu.cfg files? I thought those were new to 4.0

Otherwise, adding eu.cfg support to the IDE might be a big job. :/

21. Re: IDE for Eu4?

jimcbrown said...

...does the IDE know about eu.cfg files? I thought those were new to 4.0

The IDE doesn't need to know about eu.cfg.

euiw.exe wants to use eu.cfg (I guess this should be irrelevant with the compiled exe). If it can't find eu.cfg, then it probably looks at the system EUDIR variable. If you don't have eu.cfg, then you might not be able to run IDE from source (with euiw.exe).

But, I'm not at a PC where I can test right now... :/

22. Re: IDE for Eu4?

jimcbrown said...
euphoric said...

Hmm, does the IDE know about eu.cfg files? I thought those were new to 4.0

I have found eu.cfg in the C:\Euphoria40\bin directory, where it should be according to the docs, and it says:

-i C:\euphoria40\include 

[all] 

which looks sensible. So we are back to the question - why does dear old IDE look in C:\Euphoria? I assume it creates a *.exw file and just runs it with Windows associations - so it looks in Euphoria\bin to run it with exw. As long as Eu4 uses the same file extensions as Eu3 we are not going to get the two running simultaneously. Ideally we would use a different file extension, like *.exw4 (forget the DOS 3-character limit!)or *.euw or *.eiw would be reasonable. I guess I could use the batch file directory name swap so that either Eu3 or Eu4 is located in the \Euphoria directory, but that is a bit - well, like in the dark DOS days. Is there any other way around this problem? Over to you Gentlemen again....

23. Re: IDE for Eu4?

AndyDrummond said...

I have found eu.cfg in the C:\Euphoria40\bin directory, where it should be according to the docs, and it says:

[all] 

which looks sensible. So we are back to the question - why does dear old IDE look in C:\Euphoria? I assume it creates a *.exw file and just runs it with Windows associations - so it looks in Euphoria\bin to run it with exw. As long as Eu4 uses the same file extensions as Eu3 we are not going to get the two running simultaneously. Ideally we would use a different file extension, like *.exw4 (forget the DOS 3-character limit!)or *.euw or *.eiw would be reasonable. I guess I could use the batch file directory name swap so that either Eu3 or Eu4 is located in the \Euphoria directory, but that is a bit - well, like in the dark DOS days. Is there any other way around this problem? Over to you Gentlemen again....

The include path options in your example eu.cfg tell the euphoria interpreter (translator, binder) where to look for include files. You can have lots of these, so that you don't end up throwing all of your favorite third party libraries into a single directory.

Finding the interpreter's executable, however, is a completely different thing. I haven't looked at the guts of the Win32Lib IDE in a long time, but ideally this would be easily configurable by the user. The easiest way to hack this in would probably be to manually edit whatever config information the IDE itself saves (assuming it does this), and load the information from there. Better would be to add some interface from within the IDE itself to configure this (wxIDE, e.g., does this, and, in fact, allows for a 'main' and 'alternate' interpreter to be used).

Alternatively, if the IDE is using the value of $EUDIR to find the interpreter, you can use the -eudir option to specify. This would be easy if running the IDE via source. Otherwise, you'd need to use it when you translate the IDE, and then, of course, the path is once again hard coded to whatever you put down.

Matt

24. Re: IDE for Eu4?

I didn't realize that -eudir caused eui to perform a setenv().

The IDE does use shellExecute (in 2 places, and then EUDIR in one place). I'm not sure how that affects things or how difficuklt it would be to change this.

mattlewis said...
AndyDrummond said...

[all] 

The include path options in your example eu.cfg tell the euphoria interpreter (translator, binder) where to look for include files. You can have lots of these, so that you don't end up throwing all of your favorite third party libraries into a single directory.

Finding the interpreter's executable, however, is a completely different thing. I haven't looked at the guts of the Win32Lib IDE in a long time, but ideally this would be easily configurable by the user. The easiest way to hack this in would probably be to manually edit whatever config information the IDE itself saves (assuming it does this), and load the information from there. Better would be to add some interface from within the IDE itself to configure this (wxIDE, e.g., does this, and, in fact, allows for a 'main' and 'alternate' interpreter to be used).

Alternatively, if the IDE is using the value of $EUDIR to find the interpreter, you can use the -eudir option to specify. This would be easy if running the IDE via source. Otherwise, you'd need to use it when you translate the IDE, and then, of course, the path is once again hard coded to whatever you put down.

Matt

25. Re: IDE for Eu4?

jimcbrown said...

I don't think that it does, but I believe that when you pass that on the command line (or in a config file) euphoria uses your value instead of the environment.

Matt

26. Re: IDE for Eu4?

mattlewis said...
jimcbrown said...

I don't think that it does, but I believe that when you pass that on the command line (or in a config file) euphoria uses your value instead of the environment.

Matt

Right, but the IDE uses getenv("EUDIR")&"\\bin\\euiw.exe" in one place.

27. Re: IDE for Eu4?

jimcbrown said...

Right, but the IDE uses getenv("EUDIR")&"\\bin\\euiw.exe" in one place.

More wonderful clues! :)

Okay, so I've changed the way the IDE runs your program. Before, it would get the fully-qualified path to your interpreter by using the EUDIR environment var. With Eu4, there's no such thing (or not need be). I've added an INI file in which you can tell the IDE what interpreter to use. Check out the file "which_interpreter.ini."

So now it just runs "euiw yourprogramhere.exw," without the path. This works just fine so long as the path to your interpreter is in your %PATH%.

(It seems there are other references to the interpreter elsewhere in the code, but I haven't needed to worry about those just yet.)

Anyway, I've updated the source code archive at my site with these latest changes. The executable will be uploaded in about half an hour... the time it takes to compile the project. :O

Let me know if you have any problems.

28. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...

Okay, so I've changed the way the IDE runs your program. Before, it would get the fully-qualified path to your interpreter by using the EUDIR environment var. With Eu4, there's no such thing (or not need be). I've added an INI file in which you can tell the IDE what interpreter to use. Check out the file "which_interpreter.ini."

So now it just runs "euiw yourprogramhere.exw," without the path. This works just fine so long as the path to your interpreter is in your %PATH%.

(It seems there are other references to the interpreter elsewhere in the code, but I haven't needed to worry about those just yet.)

Anyway, I've updated the source code archive at my site with these latest changes. The executable will be uploaded in about half an hour... the time it takes to compile the project. :O

Let me know if you have any problems.

Now THAT sounds like a wonderful way around it! We have a single executable IDE (it has to be in C:\Euphoria\ide with all the language stuff to run) and then we can run programs in Eu3 as of old or Eu4 with all its bells and whistles. Excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing this working. So much good stuff in Eu4 but I really can't do all the Windows stuff with buttons and windows and so on (I'm the original WIMP!) but I still want to write new code for Eu4. So thank you, O Euphoric One, you're well on your way to make many people pretty Euphoric!

It would be great if the INI file was named the same as the project name (rather than adding an item to the project file) 'cos then each project would run its own correct interpreter. Hint hint ...

29. Re: IDE for Eu4?

Ran into a problem compiling the IDE. Here's the error text:

Compiling  98% init-2.c 
Linking 100% C:\Program Files\win32lib-ide\ide.exe 
Warning! W1008: cannot open graph.lib : No such file or directory 
Error! E2028: internal_general_call_back_ is an undefined reference 
Unable to link C:\Program Files\win32lib-ide\ide.exe 

Jim or anybody else know what's wrong there?

AndyDrummond said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this working.

Just remember that you can't run Eu4 code with the Eu3 interpreter, nor vice versa, unless you're very careful.

AndyDrummond said...

It would be great if the INI file was named the same as the project name (rather than adding an item to the project file) 'cos then each project would run its own correct interpreter.

Yeah, that would be nice!

30. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...

Ran into a problem compiling the IDE. Here's the error text:

Compiling  98% init-2.c 
Linking 100% C:\Program Files\win32lib-ide\ide.exe 
Warning! W1008: cannot open graph.lib : No such file or directory 
Error! E2028: internal_general_call_back_ is an undefined reference 
Unable to link C:\Program Files\win32lib-ide\ide.exe 

Jim or anybody else know what's wrong there?

What version of euphoria are you using? The trunk (default branch) is in a bit of disarray currently (I'm changing lots of stuff to get a 64-bit version working). I suspect this is your problem.

Matt

31. Re: IDE for Eu4?

mattlewis said...

What version of euphoria are you using? The trunk (default branch) is in a bit of disarray currently (I'm changing lots of stuff to get a 64-bit version working). I suspect this is your problem.

Here:

c:\Program Files\win32lib-ide>eui -v 
Euphoria Interpreter v4.0.0 development 
   Windows, Using Managed Memory 
   Revision Date: 2011-01-05 19:28:06, Id: 4498:3adb56cff9b1 

32. Re: IDE for Eu4?

euphoric said...
mattlewis said...

Here:

c:\Program Files\win32lib-ide>eui -v 
Euphoria Interpreter v4.0.0 development 
   Windows, Using Managed Memory 
   Revision Date: 2011-01-05 19:28:06, Id: 4498:3adb56cff9b1 

OK, that's from the 4.0 branch, but there is no internal_general_call_back in that branch. So somehow, you've got 4.0 and 4.1 files mixed together.

Matt

33. Re: IDE for Eu4?

The required Euphoria version should be in the project file. The EUPHORIA version should be on a per project basis. EUPHORIA 4.0 gets confused if EUDIR is set to a 3.1 directory when -eudir is not being used at the command line or the eu.cfg. Now, -eudir is not used in 4.0's eu.cfg. If -eudir is not in some eu.cfg, EUPHORIA will search the 3.1 directory for includes. It seems there is no 100% reliable method for finding the 3.1 and the 4.0 EUPHORIA install directory.

Shawn Pringle

34. Re: IDE for Eu4?

Hi,

Any further development on Eu4IDE ?

I have installed Eu4.0 + Modified IDE.exe + Win32Lib 0.7.20. Presently trying out on a small project and haven't tried out all the options. IDE is opening the project properly But found the following issues:

1] Tabs used for indentation in the syntax are getting removed. All the lines where tabs were used at the start of line, syntax now starts on column 1.

2] Some of the flags for control like picture button went missing. e.g. I had two similar picture buttons (with same graphics) where I had "Other Styles" set to w32PB_ICON under "Control Styles" for both the buttons. When I opened the project for the first time with new IDE, the first button displayed the graphics properly but the second had none. The w32PB_ICON flag had gone missing in the second button which started displaying the graphics after setting it up again.

3] The default colour for Push button seems to be changed to "Whitish Gray" from normal "Gray". That too with black border. But this is not applicable to Picture buttons.

4] The group border headings are displayed like "Strike-through".

Not sure whether the issue is with IDE or Win32Lib.

Thanks & Regards, Rad.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu