1. Redy 1.0.a1 released!

http://redy-project.org/images/redy_blink.gif

The first development release of Redy is finally finished!

See the official Redy website for documentation and downloading. I decided to go ahead and release what I had for now. RedyCode is too immature to use as a real text editor right now, but that will be my main priority for the next release, probably in January. I am open to feature requests. There is a long list of things I still plan to add, but it will probably take another 6-12 months to implement everything, so I will try to add the most useful things first.

I recommend running all of the includded apps first, and then use them as a starting point for writing your own. Documentation is not quite finished, but there should be enough to get started, and there is at least one tutorial for now. Let me know what you think. I will be happy to answer any questions on how to get Redy to do what you need.

I really hope you guys like it, because I have been working on this for about...i dunno...8 years? It has gone through about 3 name changes and at least a dozen complete rewrites. Now, for the first time in my life, I can say I am proud of how well-organized, well-written, and non-hack-job my code is, and there really isn't anything I can think of that needs to be unspaghettified. grin

I think what make the biggest difference was writing my own oswin library from scratch that directly accesses only the win32api that Redy needs and nothing extra. (Thanks to the various libraries I have found on the euarchives to borrow code from or look at for examples on wrapping C libraries.) Then, I reworked a lot of code I had and carefully cleaned it up and built it upon the layer that oswin provides. Because of this layered structure, I believe the process of porting Redy to Linux will be fairly straightforward, but that will have to wait until I finish the features I have planned.

Even though many little things are missing, it won't be difficult to finish because at this point, the foundational code has been established and seems to be very reliable and efficient. I just need to keep adding the features I have planned out in my mind before I can call it version 1.0.0. After that, I want to work on what is the ultimate reason I created this platform in the first place: applications. blink

Enjoy, my fellow Euphorians!

Sincerely,

Ryan J.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Congratulations!

- David

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Well done.

I have a simple backup/restore program which I wrote, and currently use each day, that needs a GUI interface. I'll let you know what I find using this.

4. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Congrats! Wow!

5. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Aweosme job. RedyCode could be a good IDE to use for Euphoria, add some intellisense and syntax coloring, and it would be awesome.

6. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Icy_Viking said...

Aweosme job. RedyCode could be a good IDE to use for Euphoria, add some intellisense and syntax coloring, and it would be awesome.

Thanks. I am talking a short break, and then i'll start working on RedyCode. I think i have a method for implementing a text editor that has line numbers, code folding, syntax highlighting, intellisense, wordwrap, and some other more advanced features. It would basically convert text into a sequence of tokens (words, whitespace, punctuation, etc.) and each token will have extra information (what type it is, width in pixels, etc.) to build the text display, decide what text color to use, calculate the mouse position in the text, calculate wordwrapping, etc. and it would have some optimizations for only editing the current line when you type and handling large files efficiently. This is all just in my mind at this point, but i thnk it will work.

One thing i probably didn't make very clear is one of Redy's biggest features, which i should put more attention on: the canvas widget class. I still need to write documentation and demos for it. This is what i will use to make the gui/objects/textedit.e library which will be used in RedyCode (and can be used in any Redy app). When i work on this, it will force me to really test and optimize the canvas widget class. (It already works fine, i just haven't used it enough to really test it. I may end up changing the canvas api slightly.)

The canvas lets you use the oswin drawing command sequences to draw graphics and define handles of any shape, which can be hovered or clicked on with the mouse to send events to a canvas event handler in your app. This allows you to make almost any kind of interactive graphics such as:

• text editor with special features
  • formatted text with hyperlinks and images (help system, IRC conversation log, simple word processor, etc.)
  • vector drawing editor with selectable objects, edit handles, etc.
  • interactive calendar with events
  • plotting data in graphs
  • full-screen presentation program
  • network map
  • color selector
  • bitmap editor

I am curious what uses people would have for this. Soon, i am going to create some gui/object libraries that provide some of these things, because part of the Redy philosophy is to provide commonly-used elements for applications.

There will also be more common dialogs under gui/dialogs. This is another powerful feature of Redy. It is possible to create entire GUI elements (windows with containers, widgets, event handlers, tasks, etc.) in self-contained include files, which you can easily add to your application just as easily as adding a widget.

Redy will eventually come with dialogs such as:

• msgbox (already exists)
  • about (already exists)
  • file open/save as (already exists, and this is the only one that uses the real MS Windows common dialog)
  • print (this will just use the real MS Windows common dialog)
  • generic progress window
  • Search/replace
  • Spell check
  • Color selector
  • Font selector
  • date/time selector
  • select folder

As you can see, the Redy is more than just a widget toolkit. It is a modular and expandable platform for accelerating and providing a standard for GUI application development in Euphoria. In the future, it will have even more libraries besides gui and oswin. I really want to add more libraries some day, if i ever find the time (or help from other programmers). Some possibilities are:

• printer (printing will use the same drawing command sequences as the gui uses, provided by oswin)
  • irc (and an irc app that uses it)
  • email (and an email client app that uses it)
  • ipc (interprocess communication and distributed processing protocol)
  • rgui (remote gui, that wraps gui and connects it to a remote process through ipc)

I also want to create more applications, probably ones such as:

• RedyCode (already started, the highest priority)
  • RhodaPlot (graphing calculator, already started working on this, it has it's own website: http://rhodaplot.org/)
  • RedyShell (file browser, manager, app launcher)
  • RedyIRC (or RedyChat ?)
  • RedyCAD
  • RedyMail

I have been talking to system_X about creating a tiny linux distribution with Euphoria and Redy as the GUI and shell, to be used as small, low-powered platform (useful for ARM-based systems) and this would be called RedyOS (or Redy-OS)? But that would be a side project in the distant future.

My focus now is finishing RedyCode and all the other necessary features to make Redy a powerful application development platform for Euphoria. I hope this will help get new people interested in Euphoria as well as spark creativity and inspire people to make some really nice real-world GUI applications in Euphoria. I understand this may not be what everyone wants, and there are other GUI libraries to choose from that I don't necessarily want to compete with. I'm just offering a vision (that is manifested as source code) that I hope will address many of the issues the Euphoria community has been discussing for years.

7. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Hi

I think this is great. Good job.

What I have found, and I am sure many other beginners will find, is that getting your head round the fitting widgets into containers expanding horizontally and vertically can be a bit 'brain straining' sometimes. Having looked at the 'include a separate dialog include' system, it shouldn't be a great jump to making an interactive dialog visual builder, which would make building programs a far more attractive proposition for the newcomer.

Anyway, nice job again.

Cheers

Chris

8. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Thank you very much.

Is is a pleasure to work with Redy.

As a beginner i can benefit from it to write GUIs

easier than before.

Hans

9. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

ChrisB said...

What I have found, and I am sure many other beginners will find, is that getting your head round the fitting widgets into containers expanding horizontally and vertically can be a bit 'brain straining' sometimes.

Good point. It probably takes some getting used to. But I think it is better to let the system control layout instead of doing it manually, especially when themes, language options, and system font/dpi settings get factored in (which will work in a future version).

ChrisB said...

Having looked at the 'include a separate dialog include' system, it shouldn't be a great jump to making an interactive dialog visual builder, which would make building programs a far more attractive proposition for the newcomer.

After the basic functionality works in RedyCode, i will add a visual GUI builder. I am also considering a library that can load widgets defined by xml files, if people are interested in that (or perhaps someone could write one).

10. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

All those features for Ready sound really good. I hope they will be implentmened soon. I will probably use Redy for a lot of GUI applications I want to write in Euphoria. I do agree that with the way it is setup, it is a little hard to understand, but with some practice and playing around with it, I'm sure it will be easy grasp it. I also think having a viusal GUI builder will be awesome to include as well.

11. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Status update:

The next step is to get RedyCode working, and that requires a powerful text editor library. This library will be the main new feature of the next release of Redy.

This library, gui/objects/textedit.e, will be the first real demonstration of what the canvas widget class can do. It is categorized as a "canvas object" library, which means it is specifically designed to control a canvas widget to present what you could think of as a "custom widget". This ability to create your own custom graphical controls or editors using the canvas widget class is one of the most important features of Redy.

I am designing it to be able to do word wrap, syntax highlighting for several file types, context-sensitive help, intelligent word/block completion, search/replace, spell checking, redo/undo, several editing modes, and formatted text rendering mode. I am using Euphoria's multitasking abilities and some optimization methods to handle large files efficiently and without locking up the application. This will take a long time to complete, but basic functionality should work in the next few weeks.

This library handles multiple instances of text editors. Basically, you create containers, and then tell the textedit.e library to create text editor instances, then to show selected instances in canvas widgets, by specifying the canvas widget name and parent container name. Here's a little snapshot of the test app:

http://redy-project.org/images/screenshots/2014-12-15%2018_31_16-Redy%20-%20textedit.e%20test.png

without warning 

global constant  
App_Name = "Redy - textedit.e test", 
App_Version = "1.0.a1" 

include gui/gui.e as gui 
include gui/objects/textedit.e as txte 

include std/task.e 
include std/text.e 
include std/pretty.e 
include std/utils.e 
include std/sequence.e 

procedure gui_event(object evwidget, object evtype, object evdata) 
    --switch evwidget do 
    --end switch 
end procedure 

procedure start() 
    gui:wcreate({ 
        {"name", "winMain"}, 
        {"class", "window"}, 
        {"title", App_Name}, 
        {"visible", 1}, 
        {"size", {640, 480}}, 
        {"position", {0, 0}} 
    }) 
        {"name", "cntMain"}, 
        {"parent", "winMain"}, 
        {"class", "container"}, 
        {"orientation", "horizontal"}, 
        {"sizemode_x", "expand"}, 
        {"sizemode_y", "expand"} 
    }) 
        {"name", "cntLeft"}, 
        {"parent", "cntMain"}, 
        {"class", "container"}, 
        {"orientation", "vertical"}, 
        {"sizemode_y", "expand"} 
    }) 
        {"name", "divVerticalSplit"}, 
        {"parent", "cntMain"}, 
        {"class", "divider"}, 
        {"attach", "cntLeft"} 
    }) 
        {"name", "cntRight"}, 
        {"parent", "cntMain"}, 
        {"class", "container"}, 
        {"orientation", "vertical"}, 
        {"sizemode_y", "expand"} 
    }) 
    txte:create({ 
        {"name", "txt1"}, 
        {"label", "Text Editor 1"}, 
        {"text", { 
            "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetuer commodo et malesuada sapien Sed. Dui sollicitudin lacinia laoreet Curabitur tristique tempus Sed malesuada Curabitur ante. Aliquam lacus convallis tellus laoreet nibh iaculis gravida habitant Aliquam auctor. Magna pretium id Aenean eros nec nulla pulvinar urna magna ut. Scelerisque nibh malesuada risus dolor lacus Curabitur justo dignissim elit Morbi. Semper convallis magna eget mauris." 
        }} 
    }) 
    txte:create({ 
        {"name", "txt2"}, 
        {"label", "Text Editor 2"}, 
        {"text", { 
            "Redy is an open source project written in the Euphoria programming language which is easy to learn. Its use of simple English words rather than punctuation enables you to quickly read the source code and understand it. It uses dynamic variables called sequences to store data of any size and complexity without dealing with pointers, structures, or data types. It is an extremely fast interpreted language, and can be translated to C and compiled to run even faster.", 
            "Redy is a system of Euphoria libraries and programs designed according to specific standards to make it easy to write Euphoria programs. Its main feature is a Graphical User Interface library that is written from scratch in pure Euphoria code to take full advantage of Euphoria's syntax features with minimal overhead. This unique GUI hides the complexities of low-level operating-system-specific APIs with a system of widgets which are specially designed to be extremely easy to use. Additionally, Redy provides an Integrated Development Environment called RedyCode that makes it very easy to write, debug, document, and distibute programs in the Euphoria language." 
        }} 
    }) 
    txte:show("txt1", "canLeftEdit", "cntLeft") 
    txte:show("txt2", "canRightEdit", "cntRight") 
end procedure 

gui:start(routine_id("start"), routine_id("gui_event")) 

12. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Installed following instructions. But none of the demos run.

Error: C:\Euphoria\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e:459

<0074>:: Errors resolving the following references:

..\.\redylib-1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e <151>: ScreenX

..\.\redylib-1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e <151>: ScreenY

and a long list of similar refs

wc_canvas.e seems to be in the right place..

have no problem running other *.exw files from anywhere on my computer

this must be the problem...

the following do not exist ... called in wc_canvas.e

public include gui/widgets.e as widget

public include oswin/oswin.e as oswin

public include gui/themes.e as th

13. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

I put the referenced includes in the proper place... recieved the same error..

running 4.0.5

14. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

I thought the two canvas are a typo should be wcanvas but then there is still the routine show() undefined.

maybe have to wait for the version 2 alpha or version 1 beta. when code is posted would be nice if it was marked not working yet or something...

15. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Do not think that the includes are the problem...

It maybe the order in which the includes are parsed ..

16. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

Error: C:\Euphoria\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e:459 

Firstly, I notice that the paths in the error messages are different from each other. Is this just a typo in your post?
You have
in the error message ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev
and
in the other messages ..\.\redylib-1.0.0.dev

In order to assess what might be going on, what is the exact path that wc_canvas.e resides in and what is the exact line you added to your eu.cfg file?

17. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

the eu.cfg file was not altered.

the path to wc_canvas.e is Euphoria/redy/redylib_1.0.dev/gui/wc

as to the paths:

this line and the one below it are from the console Error: C:\Euphoria\redy\apps\RedyDemos_1.0.dev\..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e:459

the next two line are also from the console following the above line and are the first of many

do not know where this comes from: in the other messages ..\.\redylib-1.0.0.dev

18. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

the eu.cfg file was not altered.

the path to wc_canvas.e is Euphoria/redy/redylib_1.0.dev/gui/wc

Well according to the install instructions for Redy, you will need to add a line to your eu.cfg file. Something like ...

-I C:\Euphoria\redy\redylib_1.0.dev\ 

buzzo said...

as to the paths: ...
do not know where this comes from: in the other messages ..\.\redylib-1.0.0.dev

It has to be somewhere in your set up as I'm pretty sure that Euphoria would not decide to change an underscore to a dash; from "redylib_1.0.dev" to redylib-1.0.dev".

19. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

From the redy manual:

Each application folder will have at least two files:

eu.cfg (appname).exw or (appname).ex

The "eu.cfg" file tells the Euphoria interpreter where the redylib include files are. This file simply contains one line of text pointing to the folder name with the version number compatible with the application, such as:

-I ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev

Simply execute the main file (appname).exw or (appname).ex to run the application (use the eui or euiw interpreter.)

I changed eu.cfg to:

-I C:\Euphoria\redy\redylib_1.0.dev

and obtained the same results when running "basic_window.exw"

Console Error Message:

C:\Euphoria\redy\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e:459

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (151): ScreenX

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (151): ScreenY

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (158): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (303): ScreenX

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (303): ScreenY

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (305): ScreenX

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (305): ScreenY

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (311): ScreenX

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (311): ScreenY

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (425): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (486): Bold

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (487): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (745): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_canvas.e (773): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (153): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (155): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (189): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (191): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (308): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (310): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (589): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (627): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (656): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (657): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (659): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (660): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (899): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (901): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (926): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (1328): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (1330): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (1360): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textedit.e (1391): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (130): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (175): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (177): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (659): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (661): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (696): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (698): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (819): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (821): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1181): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1218): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1219): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1221): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1222): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1519): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1521): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1544): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1546): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1773): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1775): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1807): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1827): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1887): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_textbox.e (1940): Normal

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (96): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (97): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (98): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (99): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (100): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (102): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (103): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (104): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (105): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (106): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (108): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (109): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (110): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (111): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (112): rgb

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (114): rgb

and so on......

..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (115): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (116): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (117): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (118): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (120): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (121): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (122): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (123): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (124): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (399): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (660): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (667): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (686): Bold ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (694): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (702): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (935): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_fancylist.e (963): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (421): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (487): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (501): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (526): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (604): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (856): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_listbox.e (884): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (420): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (449): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (504): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (511): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (541): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (547): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (768): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_treebox.e (803): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_option.e (219): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_option.e (453): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toggle.e (207): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toggle.e (438): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_button.e (163): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_button.e (288): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_button.e (310): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (140): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (144): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (149): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (154): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (160): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (167): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (170): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (187): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (188): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (207): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (219): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (225): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (231): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (234): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (299): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_progress.e (331): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (70): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (134): COLOR_WINDOW ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (135): COLOR_BTNTEXT ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (148): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (149): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (152): COLOR_BTNFACE ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (154): COLOR_WINDOW ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (156): COLOR_BTNTEXT ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (160): COLOR_BTNSHADOW ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (161): COLOR_BTNHIGHLIGHT ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (163): COLOR_BTNHIGHLIGHT ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (164): COLOR_BTNSHADOW ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_toolbar.e (188): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menubar.e (179): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menubar.e (186): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menubar.e (358): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_container.e (259): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_container.e (458): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_list.e (248): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_list.e (281): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menu.e (100): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menu.e (306): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menu.e (307): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menu.e (313): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menu.e (338): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_menu.e (355): Normal ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_window.e (94): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\wc\wc_window.e (246): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (125): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (126): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (127): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (128): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (129): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (132): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (133): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (134): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (135): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (136): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (137): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (138): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (139): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (142): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (144): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (146): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (147): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (149): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (150): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (152): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (153): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (155): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (156): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (158): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (159): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (162): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (163): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (164): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (166): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (167): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (168): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (170): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (171): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (172): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (174): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (175): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (176): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (178): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (179): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (180): rgb ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (184): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (207): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (240): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (263): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (286): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (309): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (332): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (355): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (378): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (401): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (434): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (436): createMousePointer ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev\gui\themes.e (459): createMousePointer

mLink = createMousePointer(7, 0, { ^

Press Enter

20. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Hallo,

keep calm ;)

okay, using relative includes (like ../xyz) is sometimes not the best solution, also it works on most systems.

An easy way to install 'redy' is to move the 'gui' folder and the 'oswin' folder to your Euphoria include directory.
Remove every eu.cfg in the 'redy' folders.

This is a kind of brute force, but it works.

All the Demo Programs are working out of the box, no matter if you use Eu4.0 or Eu4.1

Tested and verified.

Andreas

21. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

I changed eu.cfg to:

Console Error Message said...

Good. Eliminated one potential issue.

I now suspect that the "unresolved" identifiers happen because these names are declared in more than one included file and Euphoria doesn't know which of them your program needs.

22. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

That could be the cause.

It would be helpful if the author of redy would weigh in.

23. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

That could be the cause.

It would be helpful if the author of redy would weigh in.

buzzo: What version of Euphoria are you using and 32 or 64 bit?

24. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

and a long list of similar refs

wc_canvas.e seems to be in the right place..

have no problem running other *.exw files from anywhere on my computer

this must be the problem...

the following do not exist ... called in wc_canvas.e

public include gui/widgets.e as widget

public include oswin/oswin.e as oswin

public include gui/themes.e as th

I don't know why Euphoria wouldn't ScreenX, ScreenY, rgb, etc. I have tested Redy on several computers and have never seen that problem. You shouldn't have to change eu.cfg at all. It makes me wonder...is your Euphoria a fresh installation, or has it been configured in a different way? Perhaps you should start over with a fresh installation of Redy, too.

25. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

ne1uno said...
buzzo said...

I thought the two canvas are a typo should be wcanvas but then there is still the routine show() undefined.

maybe have to wait for the version 2 alpha or version 1 beta. when code is posted would be nice if it was marked not working yet or something...

Oops, i thought i stated this, but i should have been more clear. The above source code showing the textedit demo won't work for you, it was merely a snippet of what I am currently working on for the next release. Sorry for the confusion.

26. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

I have installed redy on two (2) boxes with the same result...

27. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

I have not tried to run the textedit demo...

28. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

I have installed redy on two (2) boxes with the same result...

On Each of the boxes what combination of Eu/OS? 32/64bit info for Eu and OS as well.

29. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

From the redy manual:

Each application folder will have at least two files:

eu.cfg (appname).exw or (appname).ex

The "eu.cfg" file tells the Euphoria interpreter where the redylib include files are. This file simply contains one line of text pointing to the folder name with the version number compatible with the application, such as:

-I ..\..\redylib_1.0.dev

Simply execute the main file (appname).exw or (appname).ex to run the application (use the eui or euiw interpreter.)

I changed eu.cfg to:

You shouldn't have to change the relative path, as long as your redy files are in the correct place (they should be, just by unzipping the redy zip file into the C:\redy folder).

I wonder if there is something different about your euphoria installation. If you have a default installation of Euphoria 4.0.5 or 4.1 beta, it should work. I wish I knew how to help you with this problem, it is a mystery to me.

I am not an expert on how Euphoria configuration works, but I created the eu.cfg files based on what read in the Euphoria manual: http://openeuphoria.org/docs/installing_euphoria.html#_34_windows, http://openeuphoria.org/docs/configuration.html#_48_setuptheeuphoriaconfigurationfileeucfg and http://openeuphoria.org/docs/command_switches.html#_76_commandlineswitches.

30. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

DerekParnell said...
buzzo said...

I changed eu.cfg to:

Console Error Message said...

Good. Eliminated one potential issue.

I now suspect that the "unresolved" identifiers happen because these names are declared in more than one included file and Euphoria doesn't know which of them your program needs.

DerekParnell said...

Ah, i just had an idea. Could it be that you have any other files outside of the redy files called "win32.e", "win32const.e", or "win32dll.e"?

If Euphoria has already found those files in another include folder, that could explain it.

31. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Both boxes eu 4.0.5 and win 7 home 32 bit..

32. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

the three files are in the proper location and no duplicates

my OS is 32 bit, win 7 home..

33. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

the three files are in the proper location and no duplicates

my OS is 32 bit, win 7 home..

buzzo:

I don't know any thing about redy's software or code.

Windows 7 is different than xp.

Maybe this may have something to do with your problem.

http://windows7supportnow.com/windows-help-2/troubleshooting-the-ntvdm-exe-error

34. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Maybe the code was made on a 64 bit machine .. My two are 32 bit

35. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Still attempting to debug my install...

results stll as outlined in reply 19, above.

has anyone installed redy and have it running ?

Buzzo

36. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Works for me on Win7 Pro, and Vista Home

37. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Anyone successful running on win 7 home premium ???

38. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Installed redy on a third win 7 home premium computer...

redy will not function on it... just as the other two..

39. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

I don't know what to tell you. It has been tested by a few people on several versions of Windows and even WINE on Linux and I haven't heard of any problems from anyone else, except that it fails on the 64-bit version of Euphoria because of 64-bit pointers/handles not being handled correctly. I have tested it on Euphoria 4.0.5 and 4.1 beta (32bit), on Windows XP SP3, Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and Windows 7 64-bit, and haven't had any problems like that. Maybe you did something out of the ordinary in your Euphoria installation?

In the next release of Redy (in a few weeks) i'm going to clean up some stuff, and be more strict about public/export declarations, and namespaces. Maybe that will decrease the chances of include/declaration problems.

40. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

try running eui eu/bin/bugreport.ex see if that shows anything different about your paths or include files.

could it be a permission problem in one of the directories?

41. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Have you tried turning user account control off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

Chris

42. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Thanks.. but did not change the results

43. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Permissions OK..

If I set EUDIR %EUDIR% C:/Euphoria and EUINC %EUINC% C:/Euphoria/include then none of the programs run.

I receive an error message informing that the includes can not be found when runing win32Lib demos.

If remove Eenvironment vars, the demos run fine..

44. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Solved........ I reinstall Euphoria... appears to be fixed.

Thanks for your patience..

Buzzo

45. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

Solved........ I reinstall Euphoria... appears to be fixed.

Thanks for your patience..

Buzzo

Does that mean Redy is working now?

46. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Yes, redy is working on all three boxes...

Buzzo

47. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Update:

I am making good progress on the textedit.e library. It can now draw text with line numbers, and bookmark/code folding indicators. Word wrapping works, and readjusts when the canvas is resized. The display works correctly even if i change the font size, paragraph spacing, and line spacing. The next step is to get selecting/editing to work, which will require a lot of work.

This library uses what i call "tokens" to do word wrapping, syntax highlighting, and formatted text. A token is like a word of text, except it may not be a "word" in the English sense. It is a string of white space, punctuation, alphanumeric, etc. Each paragraph is broken up into tokens by the syntax parser, and each token has it's own position, size, font style, color, etc. Each paragraph also has a position and size, so when text needs to be drawn, edited, selected, etc. the paragraphs and tokens will be scanned and updated, only applying changes to ranges that actually changed, or drawing only tokens that are inside the area that need to be redrawn. I am using this technique because it seems to make it easier to add lots of features in a structured way, and i believe it will be efficient for large files (this will have to be verified once the library is complete).

Because every token has position and size pre-calculated, it makes it easier to determine which one the mouse is over, and to make the viewing area jump to the right position to show a token (for find/replace, goto line number, goto bookmarked line, goto line that has the error, etc.) Each token will be assigned a type, such as ttWhiteSpace, ttIdentifier, ttKeyword, ttNumber, ttSymbol, etc. and different types can be different text styles and have different behavior when you are typing, such as poping up different auto-complete options or help info.

Here is a screenshot. Notice the debugging rectangles, which show the outline of each paragraph and token. At this point, it won't be difficult to add syntax highlighting, formatted text (different fonts and sizes), justification, line spacing, paragraph spacing, indentation, etc. This will be useful for not just code editing, but displaying basic html/creole as formatted text. smile

http://redy-project.org/images/screenshots/2014-12-20%2019_01_10-Redy%20-%20textedit.e%20test.png

48. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

buzzo said...

Yes, redy is working on all three boxes...

Buzzo

Ok, that is good. Let me know if you have any questions.

If anyone wants to discuss the development of Redy, i am almost always available to chat on IRC in the #redy channel on freenode.net . I know IRC is an ancient lost art in this modern world of social media, smartphones, and instant messaging. But it is one of the main protocols that the Internet was built upon, and it is a shame that most people don't even know what it is anymore.

49. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Update:

I have been working on the gui/objects/textedit.e library. Wordwrap and Euphoria syntax highlighting works now! It can update syntax colors on-the-fly. I still need to fix some bugs before it can be a useable text editor. I am also working on the general design of the RedyCode IDE. I will release more information soon.

http://redy-project.org/images/screenshots/2015-01-18%2010_26_25-Redy%20-%20textedit.e%20test.png

50. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

It's looking great. I think Redy will be really beneifical to Euphoria. Can't wait to see what's in store for the next release.

51. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

This looks inviting enough to try out using Wine.

52. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

SDPringle said...

By the way, the current release of Redy should run on Wine, after you go through the hassle of installing Euphoria. I really want to port Redy to Linux, but i don't have a Linux machine at the moment, and we need to get a basic wrapper of the x-window system or XCB working first. If anyone wants to help with that, i'm sure system_X and ne1uno would be glad to have some assistance.

53. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Redy 1.0a1 runs under Wine on Ubuntu 14.10

ryanj said...
SDPringle said...

By the way, the current release of Redy should run on Wine, after you go through the hassle of installing Euphoria. I really want to port Redy to Linux, but i don't have a Linux machine at the moment, and we need to get a basic wrapper of the x-window system or XCB working first. If anyone wants to help with that, i'm sure system_X and ne1uno would be glad to have some assistance.

54. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

I find I cannot run the EUPHORIA interpreter via wine. Yet other programs under Wine work fine.

55. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Thanks for all the Linux how-tos. Perhaps some of this stuff you guys posted could be put into a wiki page. blink Actually, even though i'm not a "linux guru", i have used various distros over the years, and i do know how to do dual boot. I have even built a 12-core Opteron server with SAS drives and ECC ram, running Ubuntu Linux server with no GUI, used at work as a file, database, and intranet server. I plan to build a linux workstation at home, i just haven't had time or money to do it yet.

The reason i haven't ported Redy to linux yet isn't because of the lack of a linux machine, but a lack of time and knowledge about the x-window system. System_X was trying to get a generic XCB wrapper working, but has been having problems. I am too busy with my day job plus i have so much stuff to work on to finish Redy 1.0, so i just don't have time to mess with porting to linux right now.

Because Redy has it's own widget system, all it needs is basic window manipulation, event handling, and graphics routines. It seems like XCB would be the best choice. Let me emphasize, Redy does not need a complete widget toolkit, because Redy itself includes a widget toolkit, written in pure Euphoria source code! That means, i do not need or want to use GTK, wxWidgets, Qt, etc. I just need a raw x-windows or XCB and/or svgalib wrapper. If someone could get something like that working, then i would have a place to start with getting Redy to work on linux.

56. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

ryanj said...

I just need a raw x-windows or XCB and/or svgalib wrapper. If someone could get something like that working, then i would have a place to start with getting Redy to work on linux.

Bernie Ryan wrote an svgalib wrapper a very long time ago. He used it with eu_engin.e - a library that ported the Eu DOS graphics routines to work with exu.

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/102215.wc

http://www.RapidEuphoria.com/eu_engin.zip

http://www.RapidEuphoria.com/cgi-bin/asearch.exu?dos=on&win=on&lnx=on&gen=on&keywords=eu+engine

57. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

jimcbrown said...
ryanj said...

I just need a raw x-windows or XCB and/or svgalib wrapper. If someone could get something like that working, then i would have a place to start with getting Redy to work on linux.

Bernie Ryan wrote an svgalib wrapper a very long time ago. He used it with eu_engin.e - a library that ported the Eu DOS graphics routines to work with exu.

After i posted that, i remembered i had seen something about svgalib in the eu archive in the past. Once i get a linux machine (real or virtual) set up, i should try it. It would be useful for making a full-screen GUI and desktop environment for RedyOS (Bare-minimum Linux + Euphoria + Redy). The purpose would be to have a very simple low-power embedded computer used for dedicated applications. The ARM version of Euphoria could be very useful for this.

58. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

This has little to do with Redy. Can you two take this nitpicking bickering rant to a different thread about bootloaders,please? And then clean it up so it's a useful How To wiki page for Tom?

Kat
Forked into: bootloaders

59. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

<cough>

Try to be concise
Get to the point! Stay on topic! Start new topics if you must.
</cough>

60. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

I want you to know that though apparently Euphoria didn't work under wine. After finding this program called 'wineconsole' it does actually work fine. I then tried Redy and the pull-down menus don't work. I don't know what missing functionality I should blame on wine or attribute to redy being a work in progress.

Shawn

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu