Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Thanks for all the Linux how-tos. Perhaps some of this stuff you guys posted could be put into a wiki page. blink Actually, even though i'm not a "linux guru", i have used various distros over the years, and i do know how to do dual boot. I have even built a 12-core Opteron server with SAS drives and ECC ram, running Ubuntu Linux server with no GUI, used at work as a file, database, and intranet server. I plan to build a linux workstation at home, i just haven't had time or money to do it yet.

The reason i haven't ported Redy to linux yet isn't because of the lack of a linux machine, but a lack of time and knowledge about the x-window system. System_X was trying to get a generic XCB wrapper working, but has been having problems. I am too busy with my day job plus i have so much stuff to work on to finish Redy 1.0, so i just don't have time to mess with porting to linux right now.

Because Redy has it's own widget system, all it needs is basic window manipulation, event handling, and graphics routines. It seems like XCB would be the best choice. Let me emphasize, Redy does not need a complete widget toolkit, because Redy itself includes a widget toolkit, written in pure Euphoria source code! That means, i do not need or want to use GTK, wxWidgets, Qt, etc. I just need a raw x-windows or XCB and/or svgalib wrapper. If someone could get something like that working, then i would have a place to start with getting Redy to work on linux.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu