1. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

ryanj said...

... I really want to port Redy to Linux, but i don't have a Linux machine at the moment, and we need to get a basic wrapper of the x-window system or XCB working first. If anyone wants to help with that, i'm sure system_X and ne1uno would be glad to have some assistance.

You do not need a separate Linux machine.

Option 1 - using a partition manger, Make separate partition for Linux. There are free partition mangers available. The free version of EASEUS should do it.
Option 2 - If you have a desktop, buy a cheap extra hard drive and connect it up. There are usually two slots for hard drive on the motherboard.

When you instal Linux, it tends to take over the whole machine making Windows secondary during boot. I use Easyboot software (free) to make Windows the king, and Linux boot secondary.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Steady said...

That's true.

I'd recommend some sort of virtualization software ... Linux/GNU tends to run quite nicely in a VM, and there are very few things that you can't do in a VM that you can do on the bare hardware these days...

Steady said...

Option 1 - using a partition manger, Make separate partition for Linux. There are free partition mangers available. The free version of EASEUS should do it.
Option 2 - If you have a desktop, buy a cheap extra hard drive and connect it up. There are usually two slots for hard drive on the motherboard.

One annoying thing about dual booting is that you have to constantly switch back and forth. It's nice to have multiple machines, each running what they need, so you can just jump back and forth from keyboard to keyboard as the mood suits you. Maybe even get work done in two OSes at once!

Steady said...

When you instal Linux, it tends to take over the whole machine making Windows secondary during boot.

Better than doing it in reverse though - at least in the past, M$ OSes would take over the entire hard disk and not even give you a dual boot option!

3. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Steady said...

When you instal Linux, it tends to take over the whole machine making Windows secondary during boot. I use Easyboot software (free) to make Windows the king, and Linux boot secondary.

VirtualBox is great for this.

1. Download the latest version of your favorite distro.
  2. Create a machine with modest specs (1-2 cores, 512MB - 1GB memory, 20 GB disk).

3. Install the OS per usual and do what you will.

I run 32-bit Lubuntu 14.04 in VirtualBox on my 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 laptop so that I can test things in a "pure" 32-bit environment. Once you get the Guest Additions installed, you can run in full screen or "seamless" mode. You can also get free (and legal!) Windows VMs for testing from modern.ie. I currently use the "IE11 on Win7" machine to test Windows things on that same Ubuntu laptop.

-Greg

4. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Here is something I plan to add to the documentation. After some testing I hope to have a Linux Distribution with o[ installed and ready to go.

OpenEuphoria and Porteus Linux

One easy way to try o[ is from Porteus Linux installed on a USB Flash Drive.

The Porteus website is: www.porteus.org

The download page (desktop edition) is: http://build.porteus.org/

The advantage of Porteus Linux:

• Basic download size is 175MB and under 300MB if you add options.
  • They create a customized download for you.
  • There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
  • EFI version for computers that have the MS anti-boot feature.
  • Porteus Linux can run completely in ram.
  • No mess; no installation on your computer.

The Porteus website describes several ways to prepare the USB Flash Drive.

Download the o[ .deb package from Source-Forge that matches your computer and Porteus particulars:

Create an o[ file that Porteus can read.

• Right click on the .deb file.
  • From the menu click: Convert deb to xzm...
  • Use toor as the password.
  • Wait a while and notice that an .xzm file was created.

Activate o[ on Porteus.

• Right Click on the .xzm file.
  • From the Menus pick: Open with "Activate"
  • Use toor as the pasword

Test your o[ installation:

• Open a terminal.
  • Type: eui

_tom

5. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

That's true.

I'd recommend some sort of virtualization software ... Linux/GNU tends to run quite nicely in a VM, and there are very few things that you can't do in a VM that you can do on the bare hardware these days...

Steady said...

One annoying thing about dual booting is that you have to constantly switch back and forth. It's nice to have multiple machines, each running what they need, so you can just jump back and forth from keyboard to keyboard as the mood suits you. Maybe even get work done in two OSes at once!

With multiple machines you have problem of space and cost.
I have three machines working on ONE keyboard and ONE display. I use KVM switch which gives you the use of up to 4 machines on one KB and and one monitor. I have the old PS2 version for KB but I manage to use USB/KB adapter to get round this problem.

Steady said...

When you instal Linux, it tends to take over the whole machine making Windows secondary during boot.

jimcbrown said...

Better than doing it in reverse though - at least in the past, M$ OSes would take over the entire hard disk and not even give you a dual boot option!

I was alerting ryanj that SINCE HE ALREADY HAS WINDOWS INSTALLED AND WORKING, as soon as he instals Linux the installation will bring the Linux boot manager up first. I also advised that if that happens there is simple solution using EASYBCD software to put Windows back into full control at boot time.
You see, I HAVE this EXACT SETUP, I am suggesting - an old drive with XP, a new SSD with Windows 7- 32 bit, a not-so-new 1 TB drive with Windows 7 - 64 bit, and a version of Ubuntu. The other older computer has Windows XP/Linux partitions. A newer computer has windows 7-32 and Windows 8.1

ryanj: I forgot to mention that there is Option 3 - which is Linux on USB. I have a USB where I have installed 4 different Linux versions an a Linux multiboot system. It was originally under USB 2 and somewhat slow. Now I have a machine with USB 3.0 which is must faster and the USB3.0 16GB item can house 3-4 versions of Linux comfortably.
Your cheapest option is repartitioning and installing Linux. If you have USB 3.0 port, that also would be a reasonably cheap option. For desktops, a plugin card with USB 3.0 is also available for installation directly on the motherboard.
A second machine might be a very good idea, if you can set it up nicely and move from one to another comfortably. KVM switches based on USB ports are available readily, and the older KVM switches using PS2 KB port might also be available at a used computer shop.

BTW. _tom has given detailed instructions for a Linux installation on USB. My comments above on the difference between USB 2 and USB 3.0 will still apply.

6. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Steady said...

With multiple machines you have problem of space and cost.

That's true.

Steady said...

I have three machines working on ONE keyboard and ONE display. I use KVM switch which gives you the use of up to 4 machines on one KB and and one monitor. I have the old PS2 version for KB but I manage to use USB/KB adapter to get round this problem.

That works. Might be something worthwhile for ryanj to emulate.

Steady said...
jimcbrown said...

I was alerting ryanj that SINCE HE ALREADY HAS WINDOWS INSTALLED AND WORKING, as soon as he instals Linux the installation will bring the Linux boot manager up first.

But so what? Why is this a problem? Unlike the reverse case, you actually get a dual boot option here.

7. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

jimcbrown said...

I was alerting ryanj that SINCE HE ALREADY HAS WINDOWS INSTALLED AND WORKING, as soon as he instals Linux the installation will bring the Linux boot manager up first. [/quote]

But so what? Why is this a problem? Unlike the reverse case, you actually get a dual boot option here.

[/quote]

For those who are very comfortable with Windows, Linux controlling the boot is very worrisome. So I gave him the solution which keeps Windows in control of the Dual boot. Your interpretation that Windows does not allow dual boot, is wrong. My effort was to put WINDOWS IN CHARGE OF DUAL BOOT OR MULTIPLE BOOT instead of Linux..

8. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Steady said...

For those who are very comfortable with Windows, Linux controlling the boot is very worrisome.

I don't understand why this would be the case. Of course, I haven't used dual booting in a very long time, so there might be something that I'm missing here.

Steady said...

My effort was to put WINDOWS IN CHARGE OF DUAL BOOT OR MULTIPLE BOOT instead of Linux..

Let's be technical here. Strictly speaking, neither is in charge, as this point comes before either kernel is loaded. The argument is merely over which bootloader to prefer loading first.

Steady said...

So I gave him the solution which keeps Windows in control of the Dual boot.

I feel this is really a matter of preference. If this is what you like, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't have an issue with ryanj doing things this way either, if that's what he wants.But I don't see any advantage at in doing it this way. OTOH I only see a very minor disadvantage, if it is even that at all (an extra step is required and so is an extra piece of software, that is restricted to non-commercial uses).

Steady said...

Your interpretation that Windows does not allow dual boot, is wrong.

I admit that I was not up to date on the latest version of windoze. So I finally looked it up.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2212502/install-windows-ubuntu-linux.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

I therefore revise my original statement as follows:

"Better than doing it in reverse - even today, it appears that current M$ OSes STILL will refuse to give you a dual boot option with Linux/GNU when installed out of the box."

It does appear that third-party software, such as the non-M$ owned EasyBCD, will allow you to rectify this situation after the fact. However, that has always been the case.

9. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

For those who are very comfortable with Windows, Linux controlling the boot is very worrisome.

I don't understand why this would be the case. Of course, I haven't used dual booting in a very long time, so there might be something that I'm missing here.

If you do not understand dual booting then why comment?

jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

My effort was to put WINDOWS IN CHARGE OF DUAL BOOT OR MULTIPLE BOOT instead of Linux..

Let's be technical here. Strictly speaking, neither is in charge, as this point comes before either kernel is loaded. The argument is merely over which bootloader to prefer loading first.

When you install Windows, you make sufficient changes, to get the appearance that you are familiar with as a windows user which incidentally is fairly different (and disconcerting) to a seasoned Windows user.

jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

So I gave him the solution which keeps Windows in control of the Dual boot.

I feel this is really a matter of preference. If this is what you like, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't have an issue with ryanj doing things this way either, if that's what he wants.But I don't see any advantage at in doing it this way. OTOH I only see a very minor disadvantage, if it is even that at all (an extra step is required and so is an extra piece of software, that is restricted to non-commercial uses).

I am not quite sure why you are harping on his. Ryanj distinctly said he does not have Linux, and obviously he is a Windows person. he asked for help. The type of help I can give is about the hardware and boot process which I did. The type of help you can give is to run his software on Linux which you did not.

jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

Your interpretation that Windows does not allow dual boot, is wrong.

I admit that I was not up to date on the latest version of windoze. So I finally looked it up.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2212502/install-windows-ubuntu-linux.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

I therefore revise my original statement as follows:

"Better than doing it in reverse - even today, it appears that current M$ OSes STILL will refuse to give you a dual boot option with Linux/GNU when installed out of the box."

It does appear that third-party software, such as the non-M$ owned EasyBCD, will allow you to rectify this situation after the fact. However, that has always been the case.

Sir, you STILL haven't got it. If a machine has Windows, and you want to instal another windows, Windows installer takes over and guides you to choose the partition you want to use and instals there and creates a dual boot file and sets it up as dual boot.
As i said before, you do NOT have the slightest concept of what dual booting is about in the windows and Linux world.
Easy BCD comes into the picture either by choice or by the fact that you installed Linux after Windows or two or three versions of Windows and you want to give control to the Windows Boot file and give extra availability of Linux boot after that file or from withing that file. You can use notepad to load the bot.ini file and look at yourself and modify it. but EasyBCD makes it easier and error proof.
You may or may not want to accept from me but Windows will allow booting from upto 4 different OS-es (partitions, drives etc) and more under certain partitioning, which I do not want to go into right now. Also Google Ntdetect.com and ntldr and learn.

10. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Steady said...
jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

If you do not understand dual booting then why comment?

That's not what I said. I don't understand why "Linux controlling the boot" is "very worrisome" for "those who are very comfortable with" windoze.

I happen to know a small handful of individuals who primary use windoze but dual boot occasionally into Linux/GNU. They all use the GRUB. No problems here.

Steady said...

If a machine has Windows, and you want to instal another windows, Windows installer takes over and guides you to choose the partition you want to use and instals there and creates a dual boot file and sets it up as dual boot.

Got it. This makes more sense. If someone is already using the builtin bootloader to dual boot between different versions of windoze, then it does make sense that they'd be comfortable with just adding a third option to that bootloader for Linux/GNU.

Steady said...

I am not quite sure why you are harping on his. Ryanj distinctly said he does not have Linux, and obviously he is a Windows person. he asked for help. The type of help I can give is about the hardware and boot process which I did.

Did it actually help him? I haven't seen any indication that he wants to dual boot.

Steady said...

The type of help you can give is to run his software on Linux which you did not.

I first suggested using a virtual machine so he would not have to dual boot. It appears that when he has time, he will either go with multiple real machines, or a virtual machine.

Steady said...

Sir, you STILL haven't got it.

Actually, you haven't. I did not say that windoze does not allow dual boot. I said,

Steady said...

As i said before, you do NOT have the slightest concept of what dual booting is about in the windows and Linux world.

I've done it before. I admit I'm a little out of date (VMs make things too easy), but I know the basics.

To accuse me otherwise is not only disrespectful, but a potential CodeOfConduct violation.

Steady said...
jimcbrown said...

When you install Windows,

I rarely do so, but ok...

Steady said...

you make sufficient changes, to get the appearance that you are familiar with as a windows user

Generally not. If I am forced to use or install windoze, I'm usually too busy to have time to customize anything (unless it's part of the job description because the customer ordered it so).

Steady said...

which incidentally is fairly different (and disconcerting) to a seasoned Windows user.

And you would know this how? In any case, how is any of the above relevant to bootloaders and booting?

11. bootloaders

Forked from Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

katsmeow said...

This has little to do with Redy. Can you two take this nitpicking bickering rant to a different thread about bootloaders,please?

Done.

katsmeow said...

And then clean it up so it's a useful How To wiki page for Tom?

I tihnk I'll leave that to the docs team....

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

12. Re: bootloaders

The level of your knowledge, Mr. Jim Brown is very clear for everybody to see. You said, even after reconsidering your previous statements :
" I therefore revise my original statement as follows:

It does appear that third-party software, such as the non-M$ owned EasyBCD, will allow you to rectify this situation after the fact. However, that has always been the case. "

M$ OSes will NOT refuse to give you a dual boot option, and do NOT refuse to give you a dual boot option with Linux/GNU when Windows is installed out of the box. Linuxes are generally NOT installed out of the box, because only a few actually buy Linuxes. Mostly they download or get a free CD. There are a few who do bu Rethat commercial version and some others, but these are a very small minority.

EasyBCD is a MORE COMFORTABLE AND EASY way of rearranging the boot sequence. For many people (like me) who are knowledgeable about boot.ini, it is a simple matter of loading it under Wordpad and changing the sequence.

Regarding your statement about Code of conduct:
I am aware of your propensity to use your powers as admin or Moderator (or whatever you are) to cut out or edit conversation that attempts to correct your mistakes. That helps neither you nor the person to who advise was being given. I have noticed your use of these powers against others in this forum, and I have noticed similar Admin attitude in other forums, where the BIG CHIEF feels threatened. I am about 10 times more knowledgeable than you are about hardware and things like boot software,and no amount of sketchy reading on your part is going to alter your level of knowledge that actually doing it yourself.

13. Re: bootloaders

Steady said...

Regarding your statement about Code of conduct:
I am aware of your propensity to use your powers as admin or Moderator (or whatever you are) to cut out or edit conversation that attempts to correct your mistakes. That helps neither you nor the person to who advise was being given. I have noticed your use of these powers against others in this forum, and I have noticed similar Admin attitude in other forums, where the BIG CHIEF feels threatened. I am about 10 times more knowledgeable than you are about hardware and things like boot software,and no amount of sketchy reading on your part is going to alter your level of knowledge that actually doing it yourself.

There really is no call for this. Jim has worked tirelessly for the EU community for years, and has been the subject of attack on several occasions, which I am quite happy to say he has acted admirably towards. Whether his knowledge is superior to yours or not is of absolutely no consequence when considering that this could have been argued reasonably and in a grown up manner.

Frankly children enough. I won't delete this thread, but if there is another reply of this sort on this thread, that does not apply to the (off-topic) subject of bootloaders, then I will delete the entire thread. That includes you Jim, you have absolutely no need to defend yourself.

Chris

14. Re: bootloaders

ChrisB,

Thank you for doing your job as a fair and impartial moderator. I want you yo know that there is at least one person out here who appreciates all of your hard work as well.

Steady said...

M$ OSes will NOT refuse to give you a dual boot option,

I don't do this often enough to know. For the sake of argument, I'll concede this point for the time being.

Steady said...

and do NOT refuse to give you a dual boot option with Linux/GNU when Windows is installed out of the box.

Really? So if I shipped ryanj my old laptop, running with only Debian Linux/GNU installed, and ryanj wanted to install some version of windoze on it, he could boot back into Debian immediately after the installation is finished? And this is without EasyBCD? (Without having to boot via a CDROM or USB disk or anything aside from the builtin hard disk, I mean.)

I certainly want this to be true, but the sources I found online suggest that it isn't.

Steady said...

Linuxes are generally NOT installed out of the box,

Depends on the market. This is more common, e.g. for Enterprise servers.

Steady said...

because only a few actually buy Linuxes.

Conceded.

Steady said...

Mostly they download or get a free CD. There are a few who do bu Rethat commercial version and some others, but these are a very small minority.

Conceded. Again, it is more common in certain markets - but then one is also buying a long term support contract, so the price isn't for the software alone.

Steady said...

EasyBCD is a MORE COMFORTABLE AND EASY way of rearranging the boot sequence. For many people (like me) who are knowledgeable about boot.ini, it is a simple matter of loading it under Wordpad and changing the sequence.

Hmm. I looked EasyBCD up on wikipedia, and it says there that EasyBCD uses neoGrub to boot into a Linux kernel. This is more than just rearranging boot.ini

Somehow I doubt that M$ is shipping a GPL'd bootloader with every edition of windoze...

15. Re: bootloaders

I shall restate:

" no amount of sketchy reading on your part is going to alter your level of knowledge than actually doing it yourself. "

16. Re: bootloaders

Steady said...

I shall restate:

" no amount of sketchy reading on your part is going to alter your level of knowledge than actually doing it yourself. "

Hmm. You just said that one can't learn from reading. I think that trying to argue that the sky isn't blue would have been much easier.

Anyways, more links suggesting that windoze still wipes out the MBR upon installation and lacks a builtin/automatic dual boot option with Linux/GNU: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/68581/how-can-i-prevent-windows-from-overwriting-grub-when-using-a-dual-boot-machine http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/33312/how-to-install-windows-7-after-fedora-16

If you have evidence that this is not the case, please cite from a third party independent source. This should be a well known and well understood subject - I should not have to just take you at your word for your experience. Others should have encountered the same thing and wrote about it.

Now, I've known since 2004 that it's possible to configure the NT bootloader to boot Linux/GNU via chainloading GRUB with a bit of work (see http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337 for the technical information on how to do this). I consider the requirement of running dd against a raw hard disk partition to make this work (not to mention finding a way to boot into Linux/GNU before the configuration of the bootloader has been finished to run dd in the first place!) to mark this solution as an advanced technique (due to the potential disaster if one gets the command wrong). But most Linux/GNU installations can configure GRUB to chainload to the NT bootloader automatically, so this is still easier and does not require an extra step.

17. Re: bootloader

_tom said...

Here is something I plan to add to the documentation. After some testing I hope to have a Linux Distribution with o[ installed and ready to go.

OpenEuphoria and Porteus Linux

One easy way to try o[ is from Porteus Linux installed on a USB Flash Drive.

The Porteus website is: www.porteus.org

The download page (desktop edition) is: http://build.porteus.org/

The advantage of Porteus Linux:

• Basic download size is 175MB and under 300MB if you add options.
  • They create a customized download for you.
  • There are 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
  • EFI version for computers that have the MS anti-boot feature.
  • Porteus Linux can run completely in ram.
  • No mess; no installation on your computer.

The Porteus website describes several ways to prepare the USB Flash Drive.

I started using porteus last month. based on slackware and kde more than gnome I think. UNetBootin works on windows too. suggest going to the build page and creating your own iso to download rather than letting UNetBootin download it. you can choose which window manager, browser and various options. and it tells you how large the iso will be. get the dev package too so you can build euphoria and compile your programs.

once you install on a USB, you can put packages into the modules directory and files into other directories. like /home and /usr these become available once booted and this distro boots up very fast even on a slow computer with USB2.

and best of all, it is able to persist changes to the flash drive once you create a dat file. see the docs. will run from a cd/dvd also but without the persist feature. would be able to install on hardrive as well but it's optimized for USB drives

this would be a great default live iso for euphoria. I would add the few files needed for kdevelop, the dev package maybe openoffice. you could always remove packages you didn't want from the modules directory once installed on USB or if you can edit the ISO directly if you had to use a smaller USB drive.

_tom said...

Download the o[ .deb package from Source-Forge that matches your computer and Porteus particulars:

Create an o[ file that Porteus can read.

• Right click on the .deb file.
  • From the menu click: Convert deb to xzm...
  • Use toor as the password.
  • Wait a while and notice that an .xzm file was created.

Activate o[ on Porteus.

• Right Click on the .xzm file.
  • From the Menus pick: Open with "Activate"
  • Use toor as the pasword

Test your o[ installation:

• Open a terminal.
  • Type: eui

_tom

18. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Steady said...
jimcbrown said...

Steady said...

I was alerting ryanj that SINCE HE ALREADY HAS WINDOWS INSTALLED AND WORKING, as soon as he instals Linux the installation will bring the Linux boot manager up first.

For those who are very comfortable with Windows, Linux controlling the boot is very worrisome. So I gave him the solution which keeps Windows in control of the Dual boot. Your interpretation that Windows does not allow dual boot, is wrong. My effort was to put WINDOWS IN CHARGE OF DUAL BOOT OR MULTIPLE BOOT instead of Linux..

I must admit, this is so absurd I can't resist giving my unwanted two cents instead of using the energy my fingers will use to type this on anything but this. I've dual booted both free and non-free operating systems since the dawn of multi boot and never in my life have I seen it as so called worrisome to let Grub be the boot loader for a dual boot setup instead of the boot loaders provided with Windows. A decent Linux distribution installer will handle setting up Grub to chain load the proprietary M$ bootloader/Windows OS with ease. I've hundreds, if not thousands of installs under my belt and have seen more problems from installing Windows after a Linux distribution has been installed first than vise versa.

There is no problem in general if someone is ignorant on a specific subject, but I have to really doubt them in general if they make statements that are not based on truth. This doubt can be cleared if the ignorant person can think clearly enough to admit they are wrong after they are shown they are wrong.

I must also question if one is trolling and/or being a poser when such non-sense is typed up. That can possibly be cleared as well by being honest with yourself and others.

19. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

<quote> For those who are very comfortable with Windows, Linux controlling the boot is very worrisome. </quote>

It's obvious that was just some 11-year-old trolling.

The statement is not exactly untrue - we all know some computer 'users' who must call for help if the desktop background color changes.

Common sense, however, tells us that these are not the people who are going to be dual-booting Linux.

20. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

One other option is wubi:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

21. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Bazzadude said...

One other option is wubi:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Wikipedia claims that support for Wubi was dropped after Ubuntu 13.04.

However, there is a wubi.exe file on the 14.04 and 14.10 releases pages, but not the 15.04 release page.

So maybe it was discontinued after 14.10? I haven't seen any official announcement from Canonical, but I may have just missed it.

Point of interest: Wubi does use the Windows boot loader, contrary to other discussions in this thread.

-Greg

22. Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

Yes, in fact I noticed exactly the same thing (the implication it was discontinued and the absence of any official announcement that I could find) ... even so, for dev purposes, could still be an option. Any hoo, just a thought smile

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu