Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

You do not need a separate Linux machine.

That's true.

I'd recommend some sort of virtualization software ... Linux/GNU tends to run quite nicely in a VM, and there are very few things that you can't do in a VM that you can do on the bare hardware these days...

Steady said...

Option 1 - using a partition manger, Make separate partition for Linux. There are free partition mangers available. The free version of EASEUS should do it.
Option 2 - If you have a desktop, buy a cheap extra hard drive and connect it up. There are usually two slots for hard drive on the motherboard.

One annoying thing about dual booting is that you have to constantly switch back and forth. It's nice to have multiple machines, each running what they need, so you can just jump back and forth from keyboard to keyboard as the mood suits you. Maybe even get work done in two OSes at once!

With multiple machines you have problem of space and cost.
I have three machines working on ONE keyboard and ONE display. I use KVM switch which gives you the use of up to 4 machines on one KB and and one monitor. I have the old PS2 version for KB but I manage to use USB/KB adapter to get round this problem.

Steady said...

When you instal Linux, it tends to take over the whole machine making Windows secondary during boot.

jimcbrown said...

Better than doing it in reverse though - at least in the past, M$ OSes would take over the entire hard disk and not even give you a dual boot option!

I was alerting ryanj that SINCE HE ALREADY HAS WINDOWS INSTALLED AND WORKING, as soon as he instals Linux the installation will bring the Linux boot manager up first. I also advised that if that happens there is simple solution using EASYBCD software to put Windows back into full control at boot time.
You see, I HAVE this EXACT SETUP, I am suggesting - an old drive with XP, a new SSD with Windows 7- 32 bit, a not-so-new 1 TB drive with Windows 7 - 64 bit, and a version of Ubuntu. The other older computer has Windows XP/Linux partitions. A newer computer has windows 7-32 and Windows 8.1

ryanj: I forgot to mention that there is Option 3 - which is Linux on USB. I have a USB where I have installed 4 different Linux versions an a Linux multiboot system. It was originally under USB 2 and somewhat slow. Now I have a machine with USB 3.0 which is must faster and the USB3.0 16GB item can house 3-4 versions of Linux comfortably.
Your cheapest option is repartitioning and installing Linux. If you have USB 3.0 port, that also would be a reasonably cheap option. For desktops, a plugin card with USB 3.0 is also available for installation directly on the motherboard.
A second machine might be a very good idea, if you can set it up nicely and move from one to another comfortably. KVM switches based on USB ports are available readily, and the older KVM switches using PS2 KB port might also be available at a used computer shop.

BTW. _tom has given detailed instructions for a Linux installation on USB. My comments above on the difference between USB 2 and USB 3.0 will still apply.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu