Re: Redy 1.0.a1 released!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Steady said...
jimcbrown said...
Steady said...

For those who are very comfortable with Windows, Linux controlling the boot is very worrisome.

I don't understand why this would be the case. Of course, I haven't used dual booting in a very long time, so there might be something that I'm missing here.

If you do not understand dual booting then why comment?

That's not what I said. I don't understand why "Linux controlling the boot" is "very worrisome" for "those who are very comfortable with" windoze.

I happen to know a small handful of individuals who primary use windoze but dual boot occasionally into Linux/GNU. They all use the GRUB. No problems here.

Steady said...

If a machine has Windows, and you want to instal another windows, Windows installer takes over and guides you to choose the partition you want to use and instals there and creates a dual boot file and sets it up as dual boot.

Got it. This makes more sense. If someone is already using the builtin bootloader to dual boot between different versions of windoze, then it does make sense that they'd be comfortable with just adding a third option to that bootloader for Linux/GNU.

Steady said...

I am not quite sure why you are harping on his. Ryanj distinctly said he does not have Linux, and obviously he is a Windows person. he asked for help. The type of help I can give is about the hardware and boot process which I did.

Did it actually help him? I haven't seen any indication that he wants to dual boot.

Steady said...

The type of help you can give is to run his software on Linux which you did not.

I first suggested using a virtual machine so he would not have to dual boot. It appears that when he has time, he will either go with multiple real machines, or a virtual machine.

Steady said...

Sir, you STILL haven't got it.

Actually, you haven't. I did not say that windoze does not allow dual boot. I said,

"Better than doing it in reverse - even today, it appears that current M$ OSes STILL will refuse to give you a dual boot option with Linux/GNU when installed out of the box."

Steady said...

As i said before, you do NOT have the slightest concept of what dual booting is about in the windows and Linux world.

I've done it before. I admit I'm a little out of date (VMs make things too easy), but I know the basics.

To accuse me otherwise is not only disrespectful, but a potential CodeOfConduct violation.

Steady said...
jimcbrown said...

Let's be technical here. Strictly speaking, neither is in charge, as this point comes before either kernel is loaded. The argument is merely over which bootloader to prefer loading first.

When you install Windows,

I rarely do so, but ok...

Steady said...

you make sufficient changes, to get the appearance that you are familiar with as a windows user

Generally not. If I am forced to use or install windoze, I'm usually too busy to have time to customize anything (unless it's part of the job description because the customer ordered it so).

Steady said...

which incidentally is fairly different (and disconcerting) to a seasoned Windows user.

And you would know this how? In any case, how is any of the above relevant to bootloaders and booting?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu