1. [OT] OS error in file access?

Has anyone run across this and found a fix?

http://designerthinking.com/TeraCopy/TC-1.JPG

Note the path is reported by winxp sp2/sp3 as missing, yet i can open the file and display it. This behavior isn't dependant on Eu code, or TeraCopy, or Explorer, it happens in all three applications.

Is there a fix? Is the cause known?

useless

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

Kat said...

Is the problem only with this specific file; are other files in the same folder okay?

Can you rename the file? If so does the problem go away?

Can you copy the file? If so, does the problem also happen with the copied file?

Can you move the file? If so, does the problem also happen with the moved file?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

Is the problem only with this specific file; are other files in the same folder okay?

Can you rename the file? If so does the problem go away?

Can you copy the file? If so, does the problem also happen with the copied file?

Can you move the file? If so, does the problem also happen with the moved file?

I can later open, move, rename, copy, delete the file. for more files that fail to copy or move, see:

http://designerthinking.com/TeraCopy/TC-3.JPG

useless

4. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

Kat said...

I can later open, move, rename, copy, delete the file.

What does that mean?

5. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

What does that mean?

I do not understand the question. Are you Matt?

"I" = me, myself, useless
"can"= am capable of, permitted to
"later"= a temporally sequential frame of time
"open"= hmm, i guess "view contents of"
"move"= drag/drop the file to another drive or directory
"rename"= well, cause it to show a different name in explorer or dir list
"copy"= similar to "move"
"delete"= perform actions to cause dir to stop showing it
"the"= the file in question
"file"= the objects in question.

This is a lot of wierd and pointless grilling to get an answer.

useless

6. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

Kat said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

What does that mean?

I do not understand the question.

I'm sorry for not making myself clear.

What I meant was, your statement is open to a number of interpretations and I'm not sure which one you re trying to get across to me. For instance, do you mean ...

• After I download the files, I must wait for a period of time before the system allows me to open, move, ...
  • After getting the system error message, I can then open, move, ... the files but I can't do any of that until I get that message.
  • I can only open, move, ... the files in the latter part of the day.
  • Or something else entirely different.

Your phrase "I can later" seems to imply that some event must occur before you can perform one of those functions on the files in question. I'm just not sure what that event is in your case.

Also, I'm not sure if you have actually answered all my earlier questions, so I'll repeat them here, with a little more context as well.

Immediately after getting the system error message, ...

• Can you rename the file? If so, do you get the message with the renamed file?
  • Can you copy the file? If so, do you get the message with the copied file?
  • Can you move the file? If so, do you get the message with the moved file?

7. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

What does that mean?

I do not understand the question.

I'm sorry for not making myself clear.

[/quote] [/quote] [/quote] [/quote]

> What I meant was, your statement is open to a number of interpretations and I'm not sure which one you re trying to get across to me. For instance, do you mean ...
> * After I download the files, I must wait for a period of time before the system allows me to open, move, ...

No. Once i notice the file has not been moved or copied, i can open/view/copy/move the file manually. However, with millions of files, this is not acceptable behavior.

> * After getting the system error message, I can then open, move, ... the files but I can't do any of that until I get that message.

Not sure how i'd know the file was there if i could not traverse the paths until i get an error message saying the path wasn't there.

> * I can only open, move, ... the files in the latter part of the day. > * Or something else entirely different.

Well, immeadiately after the message *is* later in the day, so not sure how to answer that.

> Your phrase "I can later" seems to imply that some event must occur before you can perform one of those functions on the files in question. I'm just not sure what that event is in your case.

Only that any increment of time has passed, including the short time it takes to look at the other open Windows Explorer and click on the filename.

> Also, I'm not sure if you have actually answered all my earlier questions, so I'll repeat them here, with a little more context as well.

Immediately after getting the system error message, ... > * Can you rename the file? If so, do you get the message with the renamed file?

Yes. sometimes.

> * Can you copy the file? If so, do you get the message with the copied file?

Yes. sometimes.

> * Can you move the file? If so, do you get the message with the moved file?

Yes. sometimes.

useless

8. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

I just tried to get on to IRC to talk to you about this, but it appears that I've been banned from tiggrbox.

I'm having trouble understanding what you are doing with these files. Can you please explain the steps and tools you are using, from getting the files to getting the error message.

9. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...

I just tried to get on to IRC to talk to you about this, but it appears that I've been banned from tiggrbox.

Umm, yeas, you ticked of one of the channel operators the way you were talking to me last time, and being i wasn't a channel op there, i couldn't undo it. I don't own that channel.

DerekParnell said...

I'm having trouble understanding what you are doing with these files. Can you please explain the steps and tools you are using, from getting the files to getting the error message.

1) Open one Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to one harddrive. Open another Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to another harddrive. Highlite, drag/drop, select from default Microsoft menu to copy the files. Explorer displays filenames, but doesn't tell what directory that file was in when it decides to stop copying.

2) Open one Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to one harddrive. Open another Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to another harddrive. Highlite, drag/drop, select from "integrated" TeraCopy menu to copy the files. TeraCopy at least shows complete paths to files it cannot get the OS to provide data on, and TeraCopy goes onto the next file instead of crashing.

3) From any ftp client to any ftp server, drag/drop the folders/files to the ftp client, select transfer que, and never know what was transfered because there's no error msgs there, but the file count is different.

4) Using any httpd and http client (Firefox, IE8), attempt to view webpages, or to transfer them via wget.exe or httpd6.ex. Path not found, or pictures do not get displayed.

useless

10. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

And this has happened on Maxtor, Seagate, and WesternDigital drives. And on P4 and Athlon cpus, with memory from 1gig to 2 gigs, single and dual channel. It's happened on 10/100 and on 10/100/1000 lans as well as dialup and telco dsl and cable.

And due to overwhelming pressure on irc, i canceled the TeraCopy copy with control-alt-del, renamed the ONE file with the ' in it, and restarted the TeraCopy, and it will likely be several more hours before a error report is made. Nevermind this has been going on since before i ever heard of TeraCopy, and ONE SINGLE ' isn't the cause of all the world's problems.

useless

11. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

Kat said...

you ticked of one of the channel operators the way you were talking to me last time

What on Earth did I say!?

Kat said...

1) Open one Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to one harddrive. Open another Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to another harddrive. Highlite, drag/drop, select from default Microsoft menu to copy the files. Explorer displays filenames, but doesn't tell what directory that file was in when it decides to stop copying.

Let's see I can translate this ... you are trying to copy the entire contents of one drive to another drive.

You have two Windows Explorer windows open. In one window, you highlight a Drive Letter and then drag that selection to the other window, dropping them onto another Drive. And sometimes, Windows only copies some of the files.

Could it be that we are talking about a very large number of files? If so, maybe you are hitting some limits within Windows.

Have you tried copying smaller chunks?

12. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

you ticked of one of the channel operators the way you were talking to me last time

Are you sure you want to get into that again? You didn't log what you said?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

Let's see I can translate this ... you are trying to copy the entire contents of one drive to another drive.

You have two Windows Explorer windows open. In one window, you highlight a Drive Letter and then drag that selection to the other window, dropping them onto another Drive. And sometimes, Windows only copies some of the files.

Can anyone explain to me why it's taken 10 postings to get this far?

DerekParnell said...

Could it be that we are talking about a very large number of files? If so, maybe you are hitting some limits within Windows.

It's not necessarily the entire drive, it could be just one folder of 60gigabytes. Or it could be the automated sequential copying of one file at a time, which is what happens in any case, and in this case the quantity of files yet to be copied is unknown to the OS and the number that's been copied is ancient irrelavant history.

The overall number of files doesn't really matter, there will be some not copied, especially if i drag/drop multiple folders.

It could be that we are talking about millions of files. But i thought the point of digital computers was that the number was digital, that it wouldn't wear out thru multiple accesses, it wouldn't be forgotten or overlooked, and that x(binary) =(always and forever) x(binary), and if i told the computer to copy 2^21 files, it copied 2^21 files. I don't believe i am making unreasonable demands on it.

useless

13. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

I ran across this when reasearching M$ network neighborhood stuff:

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106167 
\\\\ 
If the IRPStackSize registry entry is not present, the computer uses a default value of 0x4. Depending on the configuration of the computer's hardware, this default value may not be large enough for the Srv service to administer shared folders on some of the physical drives. When a Windows for Workgroups client tries to access these shared directories, you receive the following message: 
\\\\ 
Path not found.: 

and got me thinking, since this is the same error i get when trying to copy files, there's a bug in winders which isn't being fixed because i am the only one running up against it and reporting it during common disk accesses (as opposed to network disk accesses).

useless

14. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

Kat said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

Are you sure you want to get into that again? You didn't log what you said?

Into what??? I don't remember saying anything especially vile enough to be instantly banned without a warning first.

I didn't log that session because ...

1. to state the bleeding obvious, I'm not perfect
  2. I don't know how to log an IRC session.
  3. It never occurred to me that one would need to log a session.

As for being banned, I would have thought the normal and appropriate course of action would go more like ...

Derek, that <specific behaviour> is not welcome or tolerated here. 
Please apologize and refrain from repeating it. 
But what the hell do I know.

Kat said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

It must be one or more of the following ...

• I'm really bad at understanding you
  • You're really bad at explaining your situation
  • Something else entirely

I can see from the hundreds of other responses you got, that I've been extremely thick at working out what could be the problem you are experiencing, but at least I made an effort to be helpful.

Kat said...
DerekParnell said...

It's not necessarily the entire drive, it could be just one folder of 60gigabytes. Or it could be the automated sequential copying of one file at a time, which is what happens in any case, and in this case the quantity of files yet to be copied is unknown to the OS and the number that's been copied is ancient irrelavant history.

The overall number of files doesn't really matter, there will be some not copied, especially if i drag/drop multiple folders.

Okay, so it can happen at any time regardless of how many files you are copying, and regardless of whether you are using Microsoft programs or third-party programs. But it still seems that you are write Euphoria programs that open a file and read it okay.

Another question ... when you get the message for a specific file, do continue getting the message on subsequent copy attempts for the same file, or is the file copied on a subsequent attempt? In other words, does the message relate to a specific copying session or to a specific file?

Kat said...

It could be that we are talking about millions of files. But i thought the point of digital computers was that the number was digital, that it wouldn't wear out thru multiple accesses, it wouldn't be forgotten or overlooked, and that x(binary) =(always and forever) x(binary), and if i told the computer to copy 2^21 files, it copied 2^21 files. I don't believe i am making unreasonable demands on it.

useless

Not to mention that Microsoft software never has bugs.

And seeing you are the only person in the world getting this message, I believe that Microsoft has been specifically tasked by the NSA to stuff up your subversive data acquisition activities.

15. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

It must be one or more of the following ...

• I'm really bad at understanding you
  • You're really bad at explaining your situation
  • Something else entirely

I can see from the hundreds of other responses you got, that I've been extremely thick at working out what could be the problem you are experiencing, but at least I made an effort to be helpful.

Kat said...
DerekParnell said...

Okay, so it can happen at any time regardless of how many files you are copying, and regardless of whether you are using Microsoft programs or third-party programs. But it still seems that you are write Euphoria programs that open a file and read it okay.

[/quote] [/quote]

No. Euphoria programs attempting sequential copy or move also have the same problems. I've had the problem on local harddrives as well as on between computers.

Derek said...

Another question ... when you get the message for a specific file, do continue getting the message on subsequent copy attempts for the same file, or is the file copied on a subsequent attempt? In other words, does the message relate to a specific copying session or to a specific file?

As long as i continue trying to copy that file, i get "path not found". If i copy some other file from that folder, that's almost always successful, and then i can re-attempt to get the one that failed, which is often successful. But if there is no other file in that folder, then trying to get it again will likely be an error for hours, or windoze will just fail.

Kat said...

useless

Not to mention that Microsoft software never has bugs.

And seeing you are the only person in the world getting this message, I believe that Microsoft has been specifically tasked by the NSA to stuff up your subversive data acquisition activities.

[/quote]
\

Yea, i guess.

useless

16. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

DerekParnell said...

> http://web2.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22332 

> Sure enough, some folders and files were reset to default permissions. I had to 
>  manually reset the appropriate permissions. 

> So, since the CHKDSK was aborted, the dirty bit is still set on the volume. 
> Normally, this would be solved by letting CHKDSK run again, and letting it run to 
> completion. I do not want to reset permissions on almost 3 million files in over 
> 100,000 directories just because CHKDSK erroneously thinks the security IDs are 
> invalid. 

> Well, VRFYDSK showed me that it found "invalid security ids" that it wants to 
> replace with "default security ids", the original problem. So, this hotfix does not 
> address the current situation, and the support tech's assertation that I should  
> reboot and let CHKDSK run would have destroyed my permission structure. 

> How many erroneous entries were there in the VRFYDSK output file? Only 716,490. 
> That's a lot of security entries I would have had to replace if I had followed this 
> fellow's advice... 

> Microsoft called back and said -- AGAIN -- that they have no solution to this and 
> want to give up. 

> I explained to the PSS -- AGAIN -- that Microsoft does, in fact, have the resources 
> to diagnose why a Microsoft tool (CHKDSK) wants to remove perfectly valid 
> permissions created on a Microsoft product (Windows 2003 Server) that is most 
> definitely in support, not past its prime, and that these permissions exist on a 
> Microsoft-created file system (NTFS). 

> Posted - 05/01/2007 :  3:14:14 PM      

> 84 files, major progress, very little to repair. Highly doubt MS will help, as a 
> google search comes up with nothing related to MS repairing the damage in this 
> situation. 

It's not just chkdsk, it's all file operations over 4.1 million, whether on a local drive-to-drive operation, or across a inter/intranet. It seems to be the same on 64bit OSs too. But it smells like a 32bit problem, because windoze's default "cluster size" on hard drives is 1000 bytes so a 4.1 MegaFile number smells like a 4.2 GigaByte pointer problem, but could be coincidence. However, changing to 512 byte clusters, per native harddrive specs, doesn't help any.

Anyhow, it seems i am not the only one getting BSOD'd on large quantities of files, and it's not a Euphoria-specific problem. In case anyone is wondering how huge data server farms get around this, i can only speculate they are running 3rd party software and db management apps like SQL which access the drive directly and may have only one file to manage.

useless

17. Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

I meant 1.4 million in the previous post.

I've since run across posts online about file transfers across lans or the internet in terms of millions of files. The same errors occured for them as when i copy files from one drive directory to another on the same or different drive, in the same computer or across a lan.

Yesterday, this resulted in winxp deciding it could not find a file which was plainly showing in windows explorer, on a drive within the same computer. The error msgs escalated to being unable to launch applications, and finally unable to write the MFT on 3 drives. Two of the drives it had no business being in. Those 3 drives where essentially wiped clean, there's no record in Explorer of any files ever having been on those drives, or of them ever having been formatted.

I had succeeded, over the years, of accumulating enough files of various data, on one moderately sized drive, that the count of files exceeded the ability of a modern up-to-date OS to copy backups of.

And yesterday, i lost 3 of those drives.

It's not a Euphoria bug, it's a Microsoft bug.

useless

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu