Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

you ticked of one of the channel operators the way you were talking to me last time

What on Earth did I say!?

Are you sure you want to get into that again? You didn't log what you said?

DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

1) Open one Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to one harddrive. Open another Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to another harddrive. Highlite, drag/drop, select from default Microsoft menu to copy the files. Explorer displays filenames, but doesn't tell what directory that file was in when it decides to stop copying.

Let's see I can translate this ... you are trying to copy the entire contents of one drive to another drive.

You have two Windows Explorer windows open. In one window, you highlight a Drive Letter and then drag that selection to the other window, dropping them onto another Drive. And sometimes, Windows only copies some of the files.

Can anyone explain to me why it's taken 10 postings to get this far?

DerekParnell said...

Could it be that we are talking about a very large number of files? If so, maybe you are hitting some limits within Windows.

Have you tried copying smaller chunks?

It's not necessarily the entire drive, it could be just one folder of 60gigabytes. Or it could be the automated sequential copying of one file at a time, which is what happens in any case, and in this case the quantity of files yet to be copied is unknown to the OS and the number that's been copied is ancient irrelavant history.

The overall number of files doesn't really matter, there will be some not copied, especially if i drag/drop multiple folders.

It could be that we are talking about millions of files. But i thought the point of digital computers was that the number was digital, that it wouldn't wear out thru multiple accesses, it wouldn't be forgotten or overlooked, and that x(binary) =(always and forever) x(binary), and if i told the computer to copy 2^21 files, it copied 2^21 files. I don't believe i am making unreasonable demands on it.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu