Re: [OT] OS error in file access?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...
DerekParnell said...
Kat said...

1) Open one Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to one harddrive. Open another Microsoft Windows brand Explorer to another harddrive. Highlite, drag/drop, select from default Microsoft menu to copy the files. Explorer displays filenames, but doesn't tell what directory that file was in when it decides to stop copying.

Let's see I can translate this ... you are trying to copy the entire contents of one drive to another drive.

You have two Windows Explorer windows open. In one window, you highlight a Drive Letter and then drag that selection to the other window, dropping them onto another Drive. And sometimes, Windows only copies some of the files.

Can anyone explain to me why it's taken 10 postings to get this far?

It must be one or more of the following ...

• I'm really bad at understanding you
  • You're really bad at explaining your situation
  • Something else entirely

I can see from the hundreds of other responses you got, that I've been extremely thick at working out what could be the problem you are experiencing, but at least I made an effort to be helpful.

Kat said...
DerekParnell said...

Could it be that we are talking about a very large number of files? If so, maybe you are hitting some limits within Windows.

Have you tried copying smaller chunks?

It's not necessarily the entire drive, it could be just one folder of 60gigabytes. Or it could be the automated sequential copying of one file at a time, which is what happens in any case, and in this case the quantity of files yet to be copied is unknown to the OS and the number that's been copied is ancient irrelavant history.

The overall number of files doesn't really matter, there will be some not copied, especially if i drag/drop multiple folders.

Okay, so it can happen at any time regardless of how many files you are copying, and regardless of whether you are using Microsoft programs or third-party programs. But it still seems that you are write Euphoria programs that open a file and read it okay.

[/quote] [/quote]

No. Euphoria programs attempting sequential copy or move also have the same problems. I've had the problem on local harddrives as well as on between computers.

Derek said...

Another question ... when you get the message for a specific file, do continue getting the message on subsequent copy attempts for the same file, or is the file copied on a subsequent attempt? In other words, does the message relate to a specific copying session or to a specific file?

As long as i continue trying to copy that file, i get "path not found". If i copy some other file from that folder, that's almost always successful, and then i can re-attempt to get the one that failed, which is often successful. But if there is no other file in that folder, then trying to get it again will likely be an error for hours, or windoze will just fail.

Kat said...

It could be that we are talking about millions of files. But i thought the point of digital computers was that the number was digital, that it wouldn't wear out thru multiple accesses, it wouldn't be forgotten or overlooked, and that x(binary) =(always and forever) x(binary), and if i told the computer to copy 2^21 files, it copied 2^21 files. I don't believe i am making unreasonable demands on it.

useless

Not to mention that Microsoft software never has bugs.

And seeing you are the only person in the world getting this message, I believe that Microsoft has been specifically tasked by the NSA to stuff up your subversive data acquisition activities.

[/quote]
\

Yea, i guess.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu