1. Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Dear EU users!

There is the Russian clone of Menuet OS, Kolibri OS:

http://www.kolibrios.org/?&lang=en

Very interesting and nice 1-floppy modern multitask
OS with windows, it is developed entirelly in FASM.
Its GUI is beatiful. OS is extremely compact and fast.
It is free, open source, and they have its own
(ported to Kolibri) DOSBox 0.70.

I've tried to work with DOS32 Euphoria in that their
DOSBox, and EU works much faster than in DOSBox for XP,
including SVGA graphics (259..261 modes) in DOSBox
window.

Try please, you'll like it, I think.
I start it from floppy, then it loads the OS image
from my HDD C: into its RAM disk and works on my
1.8GHz, 256Mb, 1024x768 machine.

Their RAM disk is just about 600Kb now and holds system,
editors, development, file managers, games etc etc etc.
DOSBox is a separate download though and you have
to run it from your HDD. They work only on FAT32 for
now, not on NTFS.

This OS is one of the reasons to learn Russian better,
if you speak only English now, I think  smile

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz at peterlink.ru

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Hi Igor.
I am about to try Kolibri OS. Two questions:
1) I own an old Toshiba Notebook, a 486 I think. Do you think Kolibri will work
in it?
2) How can I download the DOSBox extension?
3) Are there any manuals or help file for Kolibri?
Best regards.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Hi Ricardo.

Ricardo Forno wrote:
> 
> Hi Igor.
> I am about to try Kolibri OS. Two questions:
> 1) I own an old Toshiba Notebook, a 486 I think. Do you think Kolibri will
> work
> in it?

The Menuet OS seems to work from 386 and up, I do not know exactly,
but Kolibri seems to want Pentium, I tried it on my old good 386
mainframe with 8Mb RAM - doesn't want to load.

> 2) How can I download the DOSBox extension?

You'll need the 7-zip archiver, it is free:

http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe

It is Windows installer.

Then get DOSBox, version for Kolibri platform:

http://diamondz.land.ru/dosbox.7z

You'll unpack it with 7-zip into any folder
with strongly 8.3 format of name.

> 3) Are there any manuals or help file for Kolibri?

Yes, but I'm not sure about English versions.
This link:
http://www.kolibrios.org/?&lang=en
will give you the English home page of their site.

Now I'm working on some bilingual (English, Russian)
instruction on how to launch DOS32 Euphoria in Kolibri
environment.

In day or two, I plan to post it to RDS contrib page. 

> Best regards.

Best regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz at peterlink.ru

4. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Igor Kachan wrote:
> 
> Hi Ricardo.
> 
> Ricardo Forno wrote:
> > 
> > Hi Igor.
> > I am about to try Kolibri OS. Two questions:
> > 1) I own an old Toshiba Notebook, a 486 I think. Do you think Kolibri will
> > work
> > in it?
> 
> The Menuet OS seems to work from 386 and up, I do not know exactly,
> but Kolibri seems to want Pentium, I tried it on my old good 386
> mainframe with 8Mb RAM - doesn't want to load.
> 
> > 2) How can I download the DOSBox extension?
> 
> You'll need the 7-zip archiver, it is free:
> 
> <a
> href="http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe">http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe</a>
> 
> It is Windows installer.
> 
> Then get DOSBox, version for Kolibri platform:
> 
> 
> <a
> href="http://diamondz.land.ru/dosbox.7z">http://diamondz.land.ru/dosbox.7z</a>
> 
> You'll unpack it with 7-zip into any folder
> with strongly 8.3 format of name.
> 
> 
> > 3) Are there any manuals or help file for Kolibri?
> 
> Yes, but I'm not sure about English versions.
> This link:
> <a
> href="http://www.kolibrios.org/?&lang=en">http://www.kolibrios.org/?〈=en</a>
> will give you the English home page of their site.
> 
> Now I'm working on some bilingual (English, Russian)
> instruction on how to launch DOS32 Euphoria in Kolibri
> environment.
> 
> In day or two, I plan to post it to RDS contrib page.

I'm sorry, I was out of town these days and now am
still working on the instruction, too many pictures
with screenshots. I'll finish it ASAP.

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz at peterlink.ru

5. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Igor Kachan wrote:
> 
> Igor Kachan wrote:
> > 
> > Hi Ricardo.
> > 
> > Ricardo Forno wrote:
> > > 
> > > Hi Igor.
> > > I am about to try Kolibri OS. Two questions:
> > > 1) I own an old Toshiba Notebook, a 486 I think. Do you think Kolibri will
> > > work
> > > in it?
> > 
> > The Menuet OS seems to work from 386 and up, I do not know exactly,
> > but Kolibri seems to want Pentium, I tried it on my old good 386
> > mainframe with 8Mb RAM - doesn't want to load.
> > 
> > > 2) How can I download the DOSBox extension?
> > 
> > You'll need the 7-zip archiver, it is free:
> > 
> > <a
> > href="http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe">http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe</a>
> > 
> > It is Windows installer.
> > 
> > Then get DOSBox, version for Kolibri platform:
> > 
> > 
> > <a
> > href="http://diamondz.land.ru/dosbox.7z">http://diamondz.land.ru/dosbox.7z</a>
> > 
> > You'll unpack it with 7-zip into any folder
> > with strongly 8.3 format of name.
> > 
> > 
> > > 3) Are there any manuals or help file for Kolibri?
> > 
> > Yes, but I'm not sure about English versions.
> > This link:
> > <a
> > href="http://www.kolibrios.org/?&lang=en">http://www.kolibrios.org/?〈=en</a>
> > will give you the English home page of their site.
> > 
> > Now I'm working on some bilingual (English, Russian)
> > instruction on how to launch DOS32 Euphoria in Kolibri
> > environment.
> > 
> > In day or two, I plan to post it to RDS contrib page.
> 
> I'm sorry, I was out of town these days and now am
> still working on the instruction, too many pictures
> with screenshots. I'll finish it ASAP.

Hi All interested,

I've uploaded these instruction just now,
you can get them here:

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/uploads/kolibri.zip

It is about 3M download with many pictures 1024x768,
bilingual - English/Russian.

I'm sorry about delay smile

Good Luck!

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz at peterlink.ru

PS Sorry, Salix, I'll do not post it to you privately,
it gets too big for e-mail, it seems to be, and your
address is on my Windows box, and I do not have it
for now under my fingers.

6. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Igor, have you tested the latest Kolibri, DosBox, and other new requirements with Euv4 code?

I ask because i had a non-catastrophic loss of files with winxp again, meaning the drives were trashed on 4 machines, but i had backups of the files.

I *must* get the data away from windoze, especially after reading http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174 where they guess and want you to debug the problem of lost data for them. They go on "try this, and if it doesn't work, try this, if that doesn't work, try this....", but there's no fixes for these problems. It's amazing that microsoft can say if you use a raid system, have a drive over 64gigs, or push a lot of files around, you can expect data losses.

I consider a file server that's not windoze based, but that does not solve the problem that i have 12 computers running winxp that will need to push the same number of files around, and still lose them.

So Igor, , or anyone using Kolibri or another dos32 system (dos7 from win95b?), how is Euv 4 on it?

useless

7. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

useless said...

Igor, have you tested the latest Kolibri, DosBox, and other new requirements with Euv4 code?

Hi Kat,
Yes, I have the latest Kolibri (0.7.5.0) and DosBox (0.73, ported to Kolibri) installed on my XP SP3. This my machine has dual boot - Windows XP/Mandriva 2008, and Windows XP here has dual boot too - XP/Kolibri. Kolibri uses the XP partition with Fat32.
But DOS32 of Euv4 is abandoned, so I use my own 3.1.1 with unlimited alphabet or bilingual 2.5. Both work Ok for me.

useless said...

I ask because i had a non-catastrophic loss of files with winxp again, meaning the drives were trashed on 4 machines, but i had backups of the files.

I *must* get the data away from windoze, especially after reading http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174 where they guess and want you to debug the problem of lost data for them. They go on "try this, and if it doesn't work, try this, if that doesn't work, try this....", but there's no fixes for these problems. It's amazing that microsoft can say if you use a raid system, have a drive over 64gigs, or push a lot of files around, you can expect data losses.

My Mandriva 2008 works with Windows XP's Fat32 better than XP itself ...

useless said...

I consider a file server that's not windoze based, but that does not solve the problem that i have 12 computers running winxp that will need to push the same number of files around, and still lose them.

So Igor, , or anyone using Kolibri or another dos32 system (dos7 from win95b?), how is Euv 4 on it?

Use Linux or FreeBSD, DOS32 is not that good to make the file server, and Kolibri is too young for now. Kolibri is not a dos32 like system, it just uses the ported DOSBox to get the dos32 mode and uses Fat32 or NTFS of Windows. And I do not know if there is some file manager for dos32, which works Ok with big HDs. NC and DN both do not give the proper disk size on dos32.

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz@peterlink.ru

8. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

kinz said...
useless said...

Hi Kat,
Yes, I have the latest Kolibri (0.7.5.0) and DosBox (0.73, ported to Kolibri) installed on my XP SP3. This my machine has dual boot - Windows XP/Mandriva 2008, and Windows XP here has dual boot too - XP/Kolibri. Kolibri uses the XP partition with Fat32.
But DOS32 of Euv4 is abandoned, so I use my own 3.1.1 with unlimited alphabet or bilingual 2.5. Both work Ok for me.

I thought v4.0 does support dos fully, but v5 will not? Your intro on setting up Kolibri in the archives is wonderful, but i need to use code like v4 like tasks and goto and the new socks code that relies on the new v4 internals.

kinz said...

Use Linux or FreeBSD, DOS32 is not that good to make the file server, and Kolibri is too young for now. Kolibri is not a dos32 like system, it just uses the ported DOSBox to get the dos32 mode and uses Fat32 or NTFS of Windows. And I do not know if there is some file manager for dos32, which works Ok with big HDs. NC and DN both do not give the proper disk size on dos32.

Yes, i am using a knoppix disk to test memory and drives now, and word seems to be to NOT use knoppix to work with, but use Debian. What i find is same with all linux OS, no ideas how to use it. In dos, at least i can type help and get a list of commands i can call to get things done, but on linux all i get is "here is how to install it".

I'd be pleased to get a working dos-like environment that doesn't take an hour of setting up permissions and chmods and hash-bangs and other [stuff]. While multitasking by the OS would be nice, i suspect i can get by with v4's tasks, once i get a grip on what need to be done before the app is launched.

useless

9. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Hi Kat, I can send you a "Teach yourself Linux" PDF ?
I collect manuals - I have maybe 20Gb's of computer howtos, PHP/XML/C/Oracle/Perl/ whatever.
Now, I just need to read a few... ;)

Can make some availible via a webpage, let me know what you want.
Eg, the default editor on Linux/Unix is a beast called "VI". Imagine a editor that was designed without cursor keys,
and to save a file you would hit Escape, colon, w, q, exclamation. Dunno what the designers were smoking...
A manual is helpful.

Regards, Alan

10. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

useless said...
kinz said...

I thought v4.0 does support dos fully, but v5 will not?

See please the "ex.exe exw.exe Now eui.exe" thread.
ex.exe Dropped (lack of support).

So use some *nix. I like Mandriva.

Regards,
kinz

11. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

useless said...

I thought v4.0 does support dos fully, but v5 will not? Your intro on setting up Kolibri in the archives is wonderful, but i need to use code like v4 like tasks and goto and the new socks code that relies on the new v4 internals.

The v4 sockets code never worked on DOS32.

12. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

alanjohnoxley said...

Hi Kat, I can send you a "Teach yourself Linux" PDF ?
I collect manuals - I have maybe 20Gb's of computer howtos, PHP/XML/C/Oracle/Perl/ whatever.
Now, I just need to read a few... ;)

Can make some availible via a webpage, let me know what you want.
Eg, the default editor on Linux/Unix is a beast called "VI". Imagine a editor that was designed without cursor keys,
and to save a file you would hit Escape, colon, w, q, exclamation. Dunno what the designers were smoking...
A manual is helpful.

Regards, Alan

Thanks, Alan. The "Teach yourself Linux" , or better yet "I'll Teach You Linux Since I Know What I Am Doing More Than You Do Since You Don't Have Even The Basic Data". And, "How To Convert A Few Eu v4 Programs From Windoze To Nix"? Does any nix have enough of a gui to reliably allow me access to all the drives, and even a basic Explorer or Xtree interface, because i was highly disappointed with 4 Ubuntu installs.

Right now, this minute, i have a 320g drive that's wrapping at 137g, it was formatted with winxp sp3 with ntfs for 300g ;;; winxp is quietly supposedly stuffing data to it, and it's quietly not happening, no matter what Explorer says is happening, the "used space" isn't growing, and the "free space" isn't shrinking. Everything that can go wrong in a microsoft OS, is going wrong.

useless

13. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

OK, I'll start on making some Linux manuals availible, will let you know what my server name is once its ready (today).
BTW, I didn't follow too much of your ntfs issues thread, but I have a few 500Gb + drives and I always format large drives
with a large cluster size, 8k or 16k. I've never lost any data through OS issues, but have had the odd drive hardware failure
over the last 20 years! "Backups are a good thing, assuming you have the extra hardware" :)

I access the Windows drives from my Centos 5.4's without issues.
My choice of Centos (a RedHat clone) is due to official support of RH by certain software I support for a living, not because
I am against Ubuntu! I lent my laptop to Mark Shuttleworth (the billionare Ubuntu owner) years ago,
Before he got rich and famous - I should have asked him for a job! He gave his employees a million each... sigh

14. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

alanjohnoxley said...

OK, I'll start on making some Linux manuals availible, will let you know what my server name is once its ready (today).
BTW, I didn't follow too much of your ntfs issues thread, but I have a few 500Gb + drives and I always format large drives
with a large cluster size, 8k or 16k. I've never lost any data through OS issues, but have had the odd drive hardware failure
over the last 20 years! "Backups are a good thing, assuming you have the extra hardware" :)

Well, seems winxp has problems when it's pushed to do more than dailey browsing and email, and then shut off for the night.

It will ignore udma settings for drives in the bios, so when the drive or controller becomes the hardware buss master, windows reports lack of access as a hardware crash, and may or may not recover from it.

If there's lots of files, the file "stack" won't grow, so at about 1.4 million files it blames hardware or some 3rd part software, and then says nothing is accessable on the concerned drives. But then the area of non-accessability grows to all the other drives and the lan and etc..

If you have a controller card, the first thing winxp will blame is it's software corrupting pointer pools. Apparently to the file control stack.

If transfering to external devices, it's not at all clear which device is having the problem, the computer/nas doing the sending, or the desktop you're on at the moment.

If the external device sends some handshake during auto-detect that it will crash if sent a block of data too big.... winxp ignores that and can decide to send data (files) in any block size it wants. If your system can handle it, great, if not, M$ doesn't care.

Winxp will allow 3rd part software to create over-length paths and filenames, even when attempting to read them will trash the drive by flagging it for chkdsk, which will report over-length names as corrupted anythings and trash the drive some more. I've had to departition and remake drives due to one filename being too long, even tho winxp allowed it to be made.

Apparently winxp is showing it's parentage when it has a complaint about a drive, as the msgs i get often also contain the admonition that's it a network failure, even tho that computer may not have had a lan cable plugged into it all day, and i am doing disk-to-disk transfers.

On the theory that winxp can be left on forever, and not need rebooting every 2-3 weeks like win95b did, i put a lot of money into a cluster. Then i find out the one winxp that had been on 8 months was running out of resourses, and eventually was down to just 2 apps running, unable to launch IE/FF, Notepad/Textpad, or email.

And there's tech briefs on this stuff on microsoft.com, going back at least to 2003, so they know about it, they just aren't going to fix it. Winxp has been sold 10 yrs, they want to sell an all new OS, oh, wait, yet another all new OS, or maybe it isn't so all-new, what with a winxp "emulator" in it?

useless

15. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

Here is the Linux docs:
www.alistorage.com\Linux.zip
Its 22Mb
Sorry for the delay, needed to upload to a USA based server due to excessive bandwidth costs in South Africa.

HTH!

16. Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

alanjohnoxley said...

Here is the Linux docs:
www.alistorage.com\Linux.zip
Its 22Mb
Sorry for the delay, needed to upload to a USA based server due to excessive bandwidth costs in South Africa.

HTH!

Ok, i got it, will study it this evening. Thanks, Alan.

useless

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu