Re: Kolibri OS and Euphoria

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
alanjohnoxley said...

OK, I'll start on making some Linux manuals availible, will let you know what my server name is once its ready (today).
BTW, I didn't follow too much of your ntfs issues thread, but I have a few 500Gb + drives and I always format large drives
with a large cluster size, 8k or 16k. I've never lost any data through OS issues, but have had the odd drive hardware failure
over the last 20 years! "Backups are a good thing, assuming you have the extra hardware" :)

Well, seems winxp has problems when it's pushed to do more than dailey browsing and email, and then shut off for the night.

It will ignore udma settings for drives in the bios, so when the drive or controller becomes the hardware buss master, windows reports lack of access as a hardware crash, and may or may not recover from it.

If there's lots of files, the file "stack" won't grow, so at about 1.4 million files it blames hardware or some 3rd part software, and then says nothing is accessable on the concerned drives. But then the area of non-accessability grows to all the other drives and the lan and etc..

If you have a controller card, the first thing winxp will blame is it's software corrupting pointer pools. Apparently to the file control stack.

If transfering to external devices, it's not at all clear which device is having the problem, the computer/nas doing the sending, or the desktop you're on at the moment.

If the external device sends some handshake during auto-detect that it will crash if sent a block of data too big.... winxp ignores that and can decide to send data (files) in any block size it wants. If your system can handle it, great, if not, M$ doesn't care.

Winxp will allow 3rd part software to create over-length paths and filenames, even when attempting to read them will trash the drive by flagging it for chkdsk, which will report over-length names as corrupted anythings and trash the drive some more. I've had to departition and remake drives due to one filename being too long, even tho winxp allowed it to be made.

Apparently winxp is showing it's parentage when it has a complaint about a drive, as the msgs i get often also contain the admonition that's it a network failure, even tho that computer may not have had a lan cable plugged into it all day, and i am doing disk-to-disk transfers.

On the theory that winxp can be left on forever, and not need rebooting every 2-3 weeks like win95b did, i put a lot of money into a cluster. Then i find out the one winxp that had been on 8 months was running out of resourses, and eventually was down to just 2 apps running, unable to launch IE/FF, Notepad/Textpad, or email.

And there's tech briefs on this stuff on microsoft.com, going back at least to 2003, so they know about it, they just aren't going to fix it. Winxp has been sold 10 yrs, they want to sell an all new OS, oh, wait, yet another all new OS, or maybe it isn't so all-new, what with a winxp "emulator" in it?

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu