1. Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

I've been getting used to version 3.1 on Windows Vista, but having bought a new PC and had problems with the Vista Home Premium installed on it, I put Xubuntu 10.4 on it as well and now use that for most things.

I'm trying to install the beta 2 version of Euphoria 4.0 on it from the tarball and, being a Linux newbie, am finding the instructions for manually setting it up a bit bewildering.

I think I have to add a line to the /etc/profile file as follows:

PATH=/home/carolyn/euphoria-4.0b2/bin:$PATH

Is that right? If so, do I type that before or after the umask 022 at the end of the file? Or earlier in the file than that?

Then there's something about either creating an eu.cfg file or setting up EUDIR and EUINC. The latter sounds easier but I don't know what EUDIR and EUINC should consist of or where to put them.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks. Carolyn

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

carolyn said...

I think I have to add a line to the /etc/profile file as follows:

PATH=/home/carolyn/euphoria-4.0b2/bin:$PATH

Is that right?

Yes.

carolyn said...

If so, do I type that before or after the umask 022 at the end of the file? Or earlier in the file than that?

The location should not matter, any of those places should be fine.

carolyn said...

Then there's something about either creating an eu.cfg file or setting up EUDIR and EUINC. The latter sounds easier but I don't know what EUDIR and EUINC should consist of or where to put them.

They go in the same place, under the PATH line that you put in /etc/profile, and should look like this:

export EUDIR=/home/carolyn/euphoria-4.0b2 export EUINC=/home/carolyn/euphoria-4.0b2/include

Note that the EUINC line is optional (i.e. you don't have to add it).

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

I'll do that, thank you for your help.

I see I said I was using Xubuntu 10.4, you must be wondering how I managed to get hold of it! Of course I meant 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)!

4. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

Well, I tried that and a message came up saying "Can't open file to write". Presumably this means I need root access to the file but how do I get that (preferably without having to type loads of stuff in the command line)?

5. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-root-password-default-password/

Chris

6. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

carolyn said...

Well, I tried that and a message came up saying "Can't open file to write". Presumably this means I need root access to the file but how do I get that (preferably without having to type loads of stuff in the command line)?

Carolyn,
Since you installed euphoria in your home directory, it will be accessible only by carolyn user. So you'd better modify the /.bashrc and /.bash_profile files than /etc/profile which is global to all users. if those files doesn't exist create them. Note that the ~ above is short for $HOME and that you have full rights to modify those files. Write same thing in those 2 files as you would in /etc/profile.

EUDIR=$HOME/euphoria-4.0b
PATH=$EUDIR/bin:$PATH
EUINC=$EUDIR/include
export PATH EUDIR EUINC

But if you want it to be accessible to all login users, install in /usr/local/share/applications/euphoria-4.0b and modify /etc/profile

Jacques

NOTES:
dotted files are normaly invisible in bash to see them use -a option with ls like this:
ls -a

.bashrc is configuration file for login bash shell (the shell that is create when a user log in).
.bash_profile is configuration file for non login bash shell (when one type bash on command line).

7. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

OK, I edited .bashrc and created .bash_profile with the same wording.

Then I typed eui hello.ex and eui tree.ex into Terminal but both times a message came up saying the file couldn't be opened.

I think I shall have to try and persuade Ubuntu to have a proper package set up for Euphoria, it would make things a lot easier!

8. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

carolyn said...

OK, I edited .bashrc and created .bash_profile with the same wording.

Then I typed eui hello.ex and eui tree.ex into Terminal but both times a message came up saying the file couldn't be opened.

I think I shall have to try and persuade Ubuntu to have a proper package set up for Euphoria, it would make things a lot easier!

Which file couldn't be opened?

I suspect it was "hello.ex".

In that case, I'm not surprised. The file "hello.ex" resides in the $EUDIR/tutorial folder, and as you didn't let Euphoria know that, it didn't look in that folder. I'm assuming you have actually defined the EUDIR symbol. Try this instead ...

eui $EUDIR/tutorial/hello.ex 

9. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

Oh, I think I see now. EUINC tells the computer which subfolders of euphoria-4.02b to search for things in, is that it? So if I want to use files from various subfolders, e.g. ones I've created myself, I have to put in a EUINC entry for each subfolder so I don't have to type a long filename each time?

Incidentally, I've now found out how to get access to /etc/profile from the Computeractive Ultimate Guide to Using Linux (brilliant publication, I wouldn't even have taken the plunge and tried Linux if it wasn't for that). Seems I just have to type gksudo gedit in the Terminal and then I get the text editor up. I know where I am with text editors!

One thing I've come to appreciate about Linux while sorting this lot out is the multiple workspaces. I can have Firefox open on one and follow the instructions in this thread on the other one. Great stuff!

Thanks again to you all. Carolyn

10. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

carolyn said...

Oh, I think I see now. EUINC tells the computer which subfolders of euphoria-4.02b to search for things in, is that it? So if I want to use files from various subfolders, e.g. ones I've created myself, I have to put in a EUINC entry for each subfolder so I don't have to type a long filename each time?

Incidentally, I've now found out how to get access to /etc/profile from the Computeractive Ultimate Guide to Using Linux (brilliant publication, I wouldn't even have taken the plunge and tried Linux if it wasn't for that). Seems I just have to type gksudo gedit in the Terminal and then I get the text editor up. I know where I am with text editors!

Oh, yeah, try ed, and then lets talk. smile

You can create an eu.cfg file right in your home directory, so no sudo required. The docs for config files: eu.cfg. In your home directory, create a file called .eu.cfg. Note the leading period! This identifies a 'hidden' file in linux. Here is what my eu.cfg looks like:

[all] 
-i ~/euphoria/dev/makedoc 
-i ~/euphoria/include/special 
-i /usr/local/share/euphoria/include 
-i ~/euphoria/include 
-i ~/euphoria/include/win32lib/Include 
-i ~/euphoria/include/eusql 
-i ~/euphoria/include/matheval 
-i ~/euphoria/include/ooeu 
-i ~/euphoria/include/wxeu 

All it does is the equivalent to setting EUINC to include all of those directories. But in an easier to manage way. Also, changing this file takes immediate effect.

Matt

11. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

I am intending to try ed once I can get it to work!

I tried creating a .eu.cfg file in /home/carolyn using that format but it's still no good. How does the other way work, adding extra things to EUINC in the .bash files? Perhaps I'll try that way instead.

It would definitely be good if Euphoria was available in the main Linux distros' repositories. Would probably increase your user numbers too, as people would probably stumble across it while browsing for additional applications to add. I came across Gambas that way - don't worry, though, I prefer Euphoria as a language and intend to use it more than BASIC once I can finally get started with it.

12. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

I've done it, I've done it I added the additional folders to PATH and now I can open tutorial files like celsius.

Next problem (sorry, folks):

I was going to create a file of my own to try out. I tried typing eui ed and what came up in Terminal was this:

carolyn@Car followed by the flashing cursor rectangle file name: followed by nothing

What normally comes up on the first line is: carolyn@Carolyn-PC:~$

Any ideas, anyone?

13. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

carolyn said...

I've done it, I've done it I added the additional folders to PATH and now I can open tutorial files like celsius.

Next problem (sorry, folks):

I was going to create a file of my own to try out. I tried typing eui ed and what came up in Terminal was this:

carolyn@Car followed by the flashing cursor rectangle file name: followed by nothing

What normally comes up on the first line is: carolyn@Carolyn-PC:~$

Any ideas, anyone?

type "myfirstfile.exu" and hit enter?

14. Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

Well, it worked!

I shall now leave you all in peace while I get used to version 4. Looks as if you've added some new operations for sequences, which is great.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu