Re: Installing euphoria-4.0b2 on Xubuntu

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
carolyn said...

Well, I tried that and a message came up saying "Can't open file to write". Presumably this means I need root access to the file but how do I get that (preferably without having to type loads of stuff in the command line)?

Carolyn,
Since you installed euphoria in your home directory, it will be accessible only by carolyn user. So you'd better modify the /.bashrc and /.bash_profile files than /etc/profile which is global to all users. if those files doesn't exist create them. Note that the ~ above is short for $HOME and that you have full rights to modify those files. Write same thing in those 2 files as you would in /etc/profile.

EUDIR=$HOME/euphoria-4.0b
PATH=$EUDIR/bin:$PATH
EUINC=$EUDIR/include
export PATH EUDIR EUINC

But if you want it to be accessible to all login users, install in /usr/local/share/applications/euphoria-4.0b and modify /etc/profile

Jacques

NOTES:
dotted files are normaly invisible in bash to see them use -a option with ls like this:
ls -a

.bashrc is configuration file for login bash shell (the shell that is create when a user log in).
.bash_profile is configuration file for non login bash shell (when one type bash on command line).

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu