1. Features for the forum?

What are features that you would like to see in this forum? Here are a list of features I know needs to be added:

1. User accounts and preferences (login and stay logged in via cookie)
    1. Name
    2. Email
    3. Signature
    4. Editor Height/Width
    5. List Order (new messages at top or bottom?)
  2. Advanced search (Author, Subject, Body)
  3. RSS/ATOM feed
  4. Tracking last visit date and making new messages appear as bold subjects or some other indication (including in thread view).
  5. Preview before posting
  6. Better styling (not sure what this would totally look like, but would remain simple and clean)
  7. Better navigation

These things really are not hard. Many people need a simple forum such as this and do not need something as complex as phpBB. Written in Euphoria and being able to translate may make the forum an application that will give Euphoria further exposure. To setup this forum, it's easy. Just put the binary in a directory w/cgi permissions and access! It'll create the database if necessary. It accesses all themed files in the local directory (head.html, foot.html, list.html, thread.html, message.html). It'd take someone on Linux literally 2 minutes to have a running forum. That's a real selling point w/Eu apps.

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Features for the forum?

I would like to see someway to adjust the size of the text and display to a smaller size. It is 4 or 5 times too large.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Features for the forum?

bernie said...

I would like to see someway to adjust the size of the text and display to a smaller size. It is 4 or 5 times too large.

Ok. I am not sure why it's 4-5 times larger though. I do not actually set the font size anywhere, so it should just be using the default font size. You can look at the stylesheet: http://www.openeuphoria.org/EUforum/style.css ... Maybe I should not be using Verdana?

Jeremy

4. Re: Features for the forum?

bernie said...

Bernie, I changed it to use Arial first, if available. Did that fix it for you? The font size?

Jeremy

5. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...

What are features that you would like to see in this forum? Here are a list of features I know needs to be added:

1. Better styling (not sure what this would totally look like, but would remain simple and clean)

Built-in alternate styles. Allow community contributions to be used by all (this is probably something for the admin to allow.)

Also, move the spam answer to near the post button. I always miss it the first time.

6. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
bernie said...

Ok. I am not sure why it's 4-5 times larger though. I do not actually set the font size anywhere, so it should just be using the default font size. You can look at the stylesheet: http://www.openeuphoria.org/EUforum/style.css ... Maybe I should not be using Verdana?

Jeremy,

This is *very* nice! Good job! :)

I like the font size as it is, so if you do change it, I hope you make it adjustable (and stored, so once reader sets it, stays like that for next time).

Also, one tweak would make the threads display even better: when a thread is read (well, selected, & presumed all read), can you make all those just looked at also show as read in the main Message List? That way a person can know which message to resume reading by threads *at* as new posts to that thread come in.

Dan

7. Re: Features for the forum?

A thread only view, the thread with the most recent post at the top, not the original post, the most recent reply.

And if you want to quickly change the size of the font, just press control and scroll the mouse wheel (if you don't have one, I don't know what the alternative is, apart from GET A NEW MOUSE

Chris

8. Re: Features for the forum?

Matt Lewis said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

1. Better styling (not sure what this would totally look like, but would remain simple and clean)

Built-in alternate styles. Allow community contributions to be used by all (this is probably something for the admin to allow.)

Also, move the spam answer to near the post button. I always miss it the first time.

Ok, I did not add choosing styles, but I did:

1. Add better styling. The message list still looks awkward, but I think the message view and thread view is starting to take shape.
  2. Move the spam question near the post button. I suppose I could use JavaScript to validate that you at least entered something in the spam question box.

Jeremy

9. Re: Features for the forum?

Great job, Jeremy!

My suggestion is to include a message views counter. Some reasons: 1) To know how many people viewed our posts. 2) To know how appealing is the message's subject. 3) To have a sort of measure of Euphoria's popularity (many people don't post messages, but they could be reading).

- Fernando

10. Re: Features for the forum?

Chris said...

A thread only view, the thread with the most recent post at the top, not the original post, the most recent reply.

And if you want to quickly change the size of the font, just press control and scroll the mouse wheel (if you don't have one, I don't know what the alternative is, apart from GET A NEW MOUSE

Ctrl +/- works, too.

11. Re: Features for the forum?

Fernando said...

Great job, Jeremy!

My suggestion is to include a message views counter. Some reasons:

1. To know how many people viewed our posts.
  2. To know how appealing is the message's subject.
  3. To have a sort of measure of Euphoria's popularity (many people don't post messages, but they could be reading).

Ok, I can handle updating a message counter for views when viewing a single message, but what about when viewing the thread? Should all messages in the thread be incremented by 1?

Jeremy

12. Re: Features for the forum?

Matt Lewis said...
Chris said...

Ctrl +/- works, too.

Hmmm....broke it somehow....What I said was, Ctrl and plus or minus works, too...

13. Re: Features for the forum?

Matt Lewis said...

Hmmm....broke it somehow

That seems to be a problem with the creole formatter. When you posted a follow up it all appeared. I'll look at the source and figure out what happened causing it to disappear. The creole formatter is used in our new doc system as well.

Jeremy

14. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Fernando said...

Great job, Jeremy!

My suggestion is to include a message views counter. Some reasons:

1. To know how many people viewed our posts.
  2. To know how appealing is the message's subject.
  3. To have a sort of measure of Euphoria's popularity (many people don't post messages, but they could be reading).

Ok, I can handle updating a message counter for views when viewing a single message, but what about when viewing the thread? Should all messages in the thread be incremented by 1?

Jeremy

Supposing that usually the entire thread is viewed, then I think that all messages in the thread should be incremented by 1. However, I'm not completely sure about this, since I have little experience with forums. - Fernando

15. Re: Features for the forum?

And maybe put the "threaded" column back over on the right, so date is on the left next to the post title where you had it originally? (not important, obviously, I just liked it that way)

Dan

16. Re: Features for the forum?

Dan M. said...

And maybe put the "threaded" column back over on the right, so date is on the left next to the post title where you had it originally? (not important, obviously, I just liked it that way)

I moved it because it was many times hard to track across and click the right "threaded". I think in the near future we can change it to an icon, thus, not taking up so much room and look cluttered.

Jeremy

17. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

I moved it because it was many times hard to track across and click the right "threaded". I think in the near future we can change it to an icon, thus, not taking up so much room and look cluttered.

Jeremy

Makes sense; I do like having ability to hit "threaded" *at* a post, that's nice.

And how about making all posts "read" via a thread view show up as "already read" in the main list (that is, different color than unread post titles, just to make it easier to find where you may have left off reading a thread as new posts to it come in)?

18. Re: Features for the forum?

Dan M. said...

And how about making all posts "read" via a thread view show up as "already read" in the main list (that is, different color than unread post titles, just to make it easier to find where you may have left off reading a thread as new posts to it come in)?

I am going to have to play with that. The reason being is what makes it appear in a different color right now is nothing more than your web browser recording that you've visited that page already. A thread view is obviously a different URL than a single message view, so... I'm not yet sure how to handle it, but I know there is a way smile

Jeremy

19. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

I am going to have to play with that. The reason being is what makes it appear in a different color right now is nothing more than your web browser recording that you've visited that page already. A thread view is obviously a different URL than a single message view, so... I'm not yet sure how to handle it, but I know there is a way smile

Jeremy

Good to know! I wondered if it wasn't something like that (the browser, rather than forum via cookies making the different colors), but wasn't sure.

Dan

20. Re: Features for the forum?

Is there any harm in using some images to clean up the layout? Silk icons are great for this sort of thing.

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

-Greg

21. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

Is there any harm in using some images to clean up the layout? Silk icons are great for this sort of thing.

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

Greg, are you good at this sort of thing? If I gave you some HTML templates, think you could plug some images in, do any other cleanup you see fit?

Jeremy

22. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Greg, are you good at this sort of thing? If I gave you some HTML templates, think you could plug some images in, do any other cleanup you see fit?

Jeremy

I'd say I've got a knack for that sort of thing, yes. Fire away, I'll do my best!

-Greg

23. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

I'd say I've got a knack for that sort of thing, yes. Fire away, I'll do my best!

Greg, I am a technical person with seemingly no artistic ability. Anything that I make that looks pretty has come with hard, hard, hard labor. I can organize it well, but make it appealing? Um, yeah.

Anyway, templates are located: http://jeremy.cowgar.com/files/forum-templates.zip

I've included the html templates plus the css file. I am sure you will see how it all fits together. Now, for naming, I'll probably change the names a bit, but you do not have to worry about that. As it stands now:

template name usage
list.html message list (main page you see)
message.html single message view
thread.html threaded message view
post.html posting a new message and/or replying to a message
redirect.html use for things such as "Message has posted, continue..."
head.html common header
foot.html common footer

If you have any questions let me know. You can email me results at jeremy (A) cowgar dot com...

Jeremy

24. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Greg, I am a technical person with seemingly no artistic ability. Anything that I make that looks pretty has come with hard, hard, hard labor. I can organize it well, but make it appealing? Um, yeah.

Anyway, templates are located: http://jeremy.cowgar.com/files/forum-templates.zip

I've included the html templates plus the css file. I am sure you will see how it all fits together. Now, for naming, I'll probably change the names a bit, but you do not have to worry about that. As it stands now:

template name usage
list.html message list (main page you see)
message.html single message view
thread.html threaded message view
post.html posting a new message and/or replying to a message
redirect.html use for things such as "Message has posted, continue..."
head.html common header
foot.html common footer

If you have any questions let me know. You can email me results at jeremy (A) cowgar dot com...

Jeremy

Wow, I didn't know we could make tables, too! That's awesome! :D

I'll get cracking on in the next few days. Does this Creole markup support smilies (or "emoticons"), too? I've got a handful we could use that match the other icons I'll be laying down.

-Greg

25. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

Wow, I didn't know we could make tables, too! That's awesome! :D

I'll get cracking on in the next few days. Does this Creole markup support smilies (or "emoticons"), too? I've got a handful we could use that match the other icons I'll be laying down.

Thanks Greg. No, it does not, but I was going to make it part of the forum. Can you send me the smily icons? I'll do that here tonight yet.

Oh, about tables...

|| Table Header || Another Header ||
| Column | Another column |

You do not have to align things, but I usually do for clarity.

Jeremy

26. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy: What if instead of the search box at the top you used the google search box so a user could search for a messages or search on the Web.

27. Re: Features for the forum?

bernie said...

Jeremy: What if instead of the search box at the top you used the google search box so a user could search for a messages or search on the Web.

Bernie, I have no experience w/using embedded google search. It does sound attractive though, i.e. not writing my own search interfaces, if it will allow the same control. I am not sure though, will it allow us to search for just an author or just a subject? That's what I would fear.

Jeremy

28. Re: Features for the forum?

bernie said...

That means google will bang on the site a lot more often to stay current with it's cached mirror.

Kat

29. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

Does this Creole markup support smilies (or "emoticons"), too? I've got a handful we could use that match the other icons I'll be laying down.

Hey, I'd like to do that for EuWikiEngine, too. smile

30. Re: Features for the forum?

Concerning the "Advanced Search" item:

One thing I have often missed is the ability to search for adjacent words. Lately, I needed to locate a group of posts that had "return Window" in it. I got all posts with both words anywhere as exact matches, which makes a huge difference.

Having .and., .or. and perhaps .andnot. would also help a lot.

CChris What I like most in this forum is the removal of Google ads, as some of them would considerably delay and sometimes prevent the displaying of next/prev post.

31. Re: Features for the forum?

Fernando said...

My suggestion is to include a message views counter.

Fernando, they are added!

Jeremy Cowgar

32. Re: Features for the forum?

If I view a post 8 times, it should only count once. :)

33. Re: Features for the forum?

euphoric said...

Yes, yes, yes... Give me some time! Whew. I'll have to create a table to record IP/Post ID's then each time someone views it, compare to that table and their IP and decide to increment the view counter or not.

Jeremy

34. Re: Features for the forum?

Well, its been at least 10 minutes!

35. Re: Features for the forum?

How about a cheat sheet below the entry? I can never remember what the markup accepts.

36. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

-Greg

Jeremy,

I've sent you an update as promised. Check your e-mail.

-Greg

37. Re: Features for the forum?

Why not use cookies? We should have a cookie that saves our name, too. :D

-Greg

38. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

Why not use cookies? We should have a cookie that saves our name, too. :D

I guess because I was thinking of having user accounts by now, but too much RL. I'll get something figured out soon.

Jeremy

39. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...

It's online! Thank you, it's looking great!

40. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Greg Haberek said...

in message list view the center div containing threaded, links, subject,author,views are shifted right, off the screen requiring a vscroll to see. thread view is ok.

firefox 1024x758 win9x

anti-spam question is confused by trailing space.

41. Re: Features for the forum?

ne1 said...

in message list view the center div containing threaded, links, subject,author,views are shifted right, off the screen requiring a vscroll to see. thread view is ok.

Hm, I am not sure what you are talking about, can you expand?

ne1 said...

anti-spam question is confused by trailing space.

Fixed on my local copy, it'll get updated on server soon.

Jeremy

42. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Yes, looks awesome, I must say. The biggest thing for me was getting rid of the word "threaded" on every single line!

-Greg

43. Re: Features for the forum?

Matt Lewis said...

How about a cheat sheet below the entry? I can never remember what the markup accepts.

Done.

44. Re: Features for the forum?

Hi

Th Google ads were something Rob did to create a bit of 'click thru' revenue - while not having them is nice, I certainly don't begrudge their presence if they provide an additional income stream to Eu's creator.

Chris

45. Re: Features for the forum?

Greg Haberek said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

Yes, looks awesome, I must say. The biggest thing for me was getting rid of the word "threaded" on every single line!

Greg, Smilies should now work grin

• } smile = }smile
  • : -) = smile
  • : -D = grin
  • : -O = shocked
  • : -P = tongue
  • : -( = sad
  • ; -) = blink

With no spaces between the chars of course. I am not up to date on my smilies, so if any are wrong, let me know.

Jeremy

46. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Fernando said...

My suggestion is to include a message views counter.

Fernando, they are added!

Jeremy Cowgar

Many thanks, Jeremy! smile
The forum is becoming very nice and powerfulIt seems we have around a hundred views per message in the last hours.

Great job!

Thanks again,
Fernando

47. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Greg Haberek said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

Greg, Smilies should now work grin

• } smile = }smile
  • : -D = grin
  • : -O = shocked
  • : -P = tongue
  • : -( = sad
  • ; -) = blink

With no spaces between the chars of course. I am not up to date on my smilies, so if any are wrong, let me know.

Jeremy

I have to agree, this new forum is looking *very* nice!

Two observations though: 1. those "silk" emoticons are too pale for old eyes to discern well; 2. why does "previous" take you to *new* pages? Shouldn't it be "new" on the left side and "pervious" on the right side??

Dan M.

48. Re: Features for the forum?

argh! "previous", of course, not "pervious"

Dan

49. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy:

Why is it necessary to have quoted replies now that the Forum supports threading. On the old Forum it was necessary because there was no way of following a discussion. Quotes just clutter up the screen and make it confusing to read.

50. Re: Features for the forum?

euphoric said...

Ok, done. It also tracks which messages you have read and unread messages appear in bold. I may change the formatting as bold seems a bit too much.

Jeremy

51. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
euphoric said...

Ok, done. It also tracks which messages you have read and unread messages appear in bold. I may change the formatting as bold seems a bit too much.

Jeremy

I think bold for unread gets the point across fine smile

And:

1. those "silk" emoticons are too pale for tired old eyes to discern well
  2. on the main messages list page, why does "previous" take you to *new* pages? Shouldn't it be "new" on the left side and "previous" on the right side??
  3. how about, as a step up from the list of common formatting tags, a list of some of the more common formatting commands, like bold etc, such that when poster hilights some text and then clicks on the formatting words, the tags are applied to the highlighted text? (yes, I realize that programmers should have no difficulty learning & inserting the tags, I'm just suggesting) smile

(Now lets see if those numbered list tags did what I meant them to)

Dan

52. Re: Features for the forum?

Dan M. said...

I think bold for unread gets the point across fine smile

I changed it to a new icon, one of the silk ones you like smile

Dan M. said...

those "silk" emoticons are too pale for tired old eyes to discern well

Greg added the icons to the theme and I personally think it looks pretty good. I did the overall theme. Are you speaking of the actual graphic images, the < arrow and the > arrow or are you speaking of the text labels, "Prev", "Next" ? I can make them have more contrast, they are a bit light.

Dan M. said...

on the main messages list page, why does "previous" take you to *new* pages? Shouldn't it be "new" on the left side and "previous" on the right side??

I guess it's working like pages. Page 1 contains the earliest messages so when you click Previous, your page numbers go down in value. Next, they go up in value. I wonder if Newer or Older would make more sense?

Dan M. said...

how about, as a step up from the list of common formatting tags, a list of some of the more common formatting commands, like bold etc, such that when poster hilights some text and then clicks on the formatting words, the tags are applied to the highlighted text? (yes, I realize that programmers should have no difficulty learning & inserting the tags, I'm just suggesting) smile

Sounds good, although I am no JavaScript guru. Do we have any here that would be willing to make a JavaScript tool bar to integrate w/the textarea and formatting codes?

Jeremy Cowgar

53. Re: Features for the forum?

ChrisB said...

Hi

Th Google ads were something Rob did to create a bit of 'click thru' revenue - while not having them is nice, I certainly don't begrudge their presence if they provide an additional income stream to Eu's creator.

Chris

They prevent posts from appearing sometimes, have to click refersh a few times. Not counting the delay in displaying posts, even when no referesh is needed.

CChris

54. Re: Features for the forum?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

those "silk" emoticons are too pale for tired old eyes to discern well

Greg added the icons to the theme and I personally think it looks pretty good. I did the overall theme. Are you speaking of the actual graphic images, the < arrow and the > arrow or are you speaking of the text labels, "Prev", "Next" ? I can make them have more contrast, they are a bit light.

No, I mean the emoticons, the smilies; they're so pale/light that it can be hard to tell if one is a smile, a frown, etc, which kinda looses the point of them.

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

on the main messages list page, why does "previous" take you to *new* pages? Shouldn't it be "new" on the left side and "previous" on the right side??

I guess it's working like pages. Page 1 contains the earliest messages so when you click Previous, your page numbers go down in value. Next, they go up in value. I wonder if Newer or Older would make more sense?

Well, as long as Newer took the reader to the next newest page of messages, and Older took to next older page of messages, that would be fine.

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Jeremy Cowgar

Now lets see if my editing your quoted reply works like you've done; if it does, I have to say that it's lots harder than just cutting and pasting the > & >> markers of quoted replies from original EuForum, though there's no question that this looks much spiffyer! If it doesn't work, well, that's because it's much harder! smile

Dan

55. Re: Features for the forum? ... Quoting

Dan M. said...

Now lets see if my editing your quoted reply works like you've done; if it does, I have to say that it's lots harder than just cutting and pasting the > & >> markers of quoted replies from original EuForum, though there's no question that this looks much spiffyer! If it doesn't work, well, that's because it's much harder! smile

Hm, that is true! I wonder, maybe in the JavaScript editor, we could have a "Split Quote" function. Just put your cursor there and click the button, it'll end the quote, start a new quote and place your cursor in the middle. I'm not thinking of a better way of doing it, you?

56. Re: Features for the forum? ... Quoting

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

Hm, that is true! I wonder, maybe in the JavaScript editor, we could have a "Split Quote" function. Just put your cursor there and click the button, it'll end the quote, start a new quote and place your cursor in the middle. I'm not thinking of a better way of doing it, you?

That sounds perfect!

Dan

57. Re: Features for the forum? ... &quot;New&quot; icon too pale?

I think that bold to indicate an as yet unread post is better than that pale "new" icon, which, to me, tends to disappear into the background. I noticed that new messages were not showing in bold anymore, but it took me a while to see that there was something between the thread icon & thread title.

And it's interesting (probably good?) that a thread can be "split off" by adding text to the thread topic, (like this), and still be recognized as part of the original thread.

Dan

58. Re: Features for the forum? ... Threading

Dan M. said...

And it's interesting (probably good?) that a thread can be "split off" by adding text to the thread topic, (like this), and still be recognized as part of the original thread.

The way threading works is each message has an id field. When you click the Reply link, it then places the id of the message you are replying to into the parent id field. Threading is not based on subject. This is both good and bad, but I hope more good than bad. It gives freedom in choosing a subject that best fits our message. The possible side effect is someone will click Reply, change the subject and type in a body that has nothing what-so-ever to do with the thread. This happens much more on mailing lists, someone simply pressing Reply instead of typing in the mailing list address itself to create a new thread/message.

So... time will tell.

Jeremy

59. Re: Features for the forum? ... &quot;New&quot; icon too pale?

Dan M. said...

I think that bold to indicate an as yet unread post is better than that pale "new" icon, which, to me, tends to disappear into the background. I noticed that new messages were not showing in bold anymore, but it took me a while to see that there was something between the thread icon & thread title.

I think the bold was too much. I am open to more suggestions. The means of tracking/indicating is there. How it appears is the easy part. We can try different methods if people have good idea.

Jeremy

60. Re: Features for the forum? ... &quot;New&quot; icon too pale?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

I think the bold was too much. I am open to more suggestions. The means of tracking/indicating is there. How it appears is the easy part. We can try different methods if people have good idea.

Jeremy

I can live with having an icon instead of bold, though having a more saturated color icon that would stand out more might not be a bad idea?

Dan

61. Re: Features for the forum? ... &quot;New&quot; icon too pale?

I think the "New" icon is too small and too pale. It is not clear to me what it actually represents as I view the message list some items in the message list are not marked by the "new" icon that appear to be unread and "old" while others which are "newer" and unread are not. Perhaps the icon label was lost as a result of viewing the message in the thread view? Actually, I think the an icon which reads "New" is a misnomer and therefore misleading. Perhaps the icon should read "unread", if that is what it purports to indicate. "New" seems redundant in the message list view which reports messages sorted with the most recent message posted from the top down together with a time notation.

62. Re: Features for the forum? ... &quot;New&quot; icon too pale?

Kenneth Rhodes said...

I think the "New" icon is too small and too pale. It is not clear to me what it actually represents as I view the message list some items in the message list are not marked by the "new" icon that appear to be unread and "old" while others which are "newer" and unread are not. Perhaps the icon label was lost as a result of viewing the message in the thread view? Actually, I think the an icon which reads "New" is a misnomer and therefore misleading. Perhaps the icon should read "unread", if that is what it purports to indicate. "New" seems redundant in the message list view which reports messages sorted with the most recent message posted from the top down together with a time notation.

It's indicator means unread indeed. The system tracks if you have read a message or not. How is a star? Or maybe Greg can come up with a better icon. Or suggestions?

Jeremy

63. Re: Features for the forum? ... &quot;New&quot; icon too pale?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Kenneth Rhodes said...

It's indicator means unread indeed. The system tracks if you have read a message or not. How is a star? Or maybe Greg can come up with a better icon. Or suggestions?

Jeremy

<chuckle> looks like you gota turn off the double dashes meaning overstrike, too! And that's why a "preview" button would be good smile

Dan

64. Re: Features for the forum? ... Preview

Dan M. said...

<chuckle> looks like you gota turn off the double dashes meaning overstrike, too! And that's why a "preview" button would be good smile

Preview will come.

Jeremy

65. Re: Features for the forum? ... Preview

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

Preview will come.

Ok, you now have preview.

Jeremy

66. Re: Features for the forum? ... Preview

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

Preview will come.

Ok, you now have preview.

Jeremy

Ok, I'm gonna go now, as you can implement changes faster than I can make suggestions! smile

Dan

67. Re: Features for the forum? ... Preview

Dan M. said...

Ok, I'm gonna go now, as you can implement changes faster than I can make suggestions! smile

Well, I wish I could wrap up 2 bugs. Berines post that says download index.cgi has me baffled and then some threads you click on for threaded view causes an Internal Server Error, however if you view each message independently they view fine getlost Hm, I just found another bug during preview! My favorite smile face does not work! getlost Too bad! getlost

Jeremy

68. Re: Features for the forum? ...

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Jeremy

The star icon gets my approval. Where did you get it? Looks like one of the silk icons I've been handing you. Did you download the whole set? grin

-Greg

69. Re: Features for the forum? ...

Greg Haberek said...

The star icon gets my approval. Where did you get it? Looks like one of the silk icons I've been handing you. Did you download the whole set? grin

Yup. They are not all online, only the ones we are currently using.

Jeremy

70. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Greg Haberek said...

Jeremy

Actually, I find the otherwise spiffy smileys in particular way too pale for tired old eyes to discern which smiley I'm seeing, at least in contrast to other presentations of smileys. And that kinda looses the point of them for expressing an emotion. sad
(And they all seem to have that pale blue background, which is not necessary/useful, particularly for a smiley?)

Not an important problem, I know, but everyone is getting older, so you never know who's butt something like that will bite.

Dan

71. Re: Features for the forum? ...sub-threads

And, since you asked, it seems making "sub-threads" might(?) be a generally useful idea, but sometimes some of us, like me, can mean to do that, but hit "Post" too quickly. So I wonder if you might add a button & edit box that allows for splitting off a sub-thread, right down by or before "Post"? (There is a question as to whether sub-threads are desirable or not, though, I guess.)

Dan

72. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Dan M. said...

Actually, I find the otherwise spiffy smileys in particular way too pale for tired old eyes to discern which smiley I'm seeing, at least in contrast to other presentations of smileys. And that kinda looses the point of them for expressing an emotion. sad
(And they all seem to have that pale blue background, which is not necessary/useful, particularly for a smiley?)

Not an important problem, I know, but everyone is getting older, so you never know who's butt something like that will bite.

It's not tired old eyes (I hope) because I have the same problem. If we go w/a larger smiley though, the text begins to get spaced out vertically and looks pretty funny to me. Anyone with suggestions or a better smiley icon set?

Jeremy

73. Re: Features for the forum? ...sub-threads

Dan M. said...

And, since you asked, it seems making "sub-threads" might(?) be a generally useful idea, but sometimes some of us, like me, can mean to do that, but hit "Post" too quickly. So I wonder if you might add a button & edit box that allows for splitting off a sub-thread, right down by or before "Post"? (There is a question as to whether sub-threads are desirable or not, though, I guess.)

Can you give me a bit more detail on how this would work? Post wise and view wise?

Jeremy

74. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Dan M. said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Greg Haberek said...

Jeremy

Dan

Never thought that I'd ever have to admit to having my butt bitten by a pale smiley. sad

It might be a good idea to add the formatting codes for available icons to the Common Formatting list.
I'm tickled pink at all the formatting styles we now have access to.

I like the stars and the smiley's, but, bigger, & brighter is better, believe me.

The forum is looking really great. Thanks again for all the good work!

75. Re: Features for the forum? ...sub-threads

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

Can you give me a bit more detail on how this would work? Post wise and view wise?

Jeremy

View wise it would be just like this sub-thread, that is, showing an addition of the name of the sub-topic just after the main topic in the subject of the post. (You indicated that this doesn't interfere with the threading of the original topic, right?)

Post wise, I'd think a button added just above the Preview & Post buttons, "Make Sub-Thread", or, "Start Sub-Thread", maybe with an edit box to its right, (or maybe edit box only show up after button pressed, to make it not interfere visually with the anti-spam button; don't want to promote accidentally putting the anti-spam answer into the sub-topic box!), such that whatever is added into edit box is tacked onto end of the subject line with "...", like you've been doing (or just a colon, for space?).

If edit box not show up until sub-thread button pressed, then whatever is there would be added to subject as Post or Preview pressed, otherwise if the edit box is always there, it would maybe be added either when the "New Sub-Thread" pressed, or again when Post or Preview pressed. May want to allow ability to alter it, say if Preview makes sender want to have it be/say something different.

I hadn't thought of making sub-threads until I saw you doing it, & it looks like it can be helpful. smile

Dan

76. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Kenneth Rhodes said...
Dan M. said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Greg Haberek said...

Jeremy

Dan

Never thought that I'd ever have to admit to having my butt bitten by a pale smiley. sad

It might be a good idea to add the formatting codes for available icons to the Common Formatting list.

I like the stars and the smiley's, but, bigger, & brighter is better, believe me.

I think it would be even better if the smileys AND at least some of the formatting options were displayed in some "extra space", so poster could just position the cursor in text, maybe highlight a space or words, and then select an item from the displayed items by clicking on one (or more, like bold and italic, for instance), and the formatting tags would be auto added to the post at position of highlighting.

Yeah, Jeremy is doing a wonderful job with it!

Dan

77. Re: Features for the forum? ... Preview

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

Well, I wish I could wrap up 2 bugs. Berines post that says download index.cgi has me baffled and then some threads you click on for threaded view causes an Internal Server Error, however if you view each message independently they view fine getlost Hm, I just found another bug during preview! My favorite smile face does not work! getlost Too bad! getlost

Jeremy

I did get the "download index" box once, perhaps yesterday, or the day before, but it is completely gone now.

One little thing that would help is, having alternating colors on the left side of the Reply page, instead of the uniform beige. This would help separate elements on the page and helps not forgetting any that matters (like Author or Spam).

And the preview is great! Thanks.

CChris

78. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Kenneth Rhodes said...
Dan M. said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Greg Haberek said...

Jeremy

Dan

Don't make it bigger, because this will disrupt text alignment and stuff.

If the icon had a plain white background, it would certainly help it standing out. Of course, the ideal would be a transparent smiley, so that the background would be the current background, which changes with the "degree" of the reply. Hmm, changing the transparent color of an icon isn't too hard, is it?

CChris

79. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

CChris said...

Don't make it bigger, because this will disrupt text alignment and stuff.

If the icon had a plain white background, it would certainly help it standing out. Of course, the ideal would be a transparent smiley, so that the background would be the current background, which changes with the "degree" of the reply. Hmm, changing the transparent color of an icon isn't too hard, is it?

CChris

The smilies are PNG files and they ARE transparent. If you're seeing a background color then you're using the wrong browser. IE < 7 does not support transparency for PNG files, which is lame, because it very well should. Microsoft could at least release a patch or something.

There are a few various methods of "fixing" this via JavaScript. Namely, this one: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngfix.js Jeremy, if you could be so kind as to work that into the header template so it is included in every page.

-Greg

80. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

It's not tired old eyes (I hope) because I have the same problem. If we go w/a larger smiley though, the text begins to get spaced out vertically and looks pretty funny to me. Anyone with suggestions or a better smiley icon set?

Personally, I've never liked transforming them into graphics.

Matt

81. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Matt Lewis said...

Personally, I've never liked transforming them into graphics.

Matt

Perhaps that could be a user option? "[x] Expand smilies to graphics" or something. Jeremy?

-Greg

82. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

some alternative smiley options.

http://smilies.our-local.co.uk/

83. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

84. Re: Features for the forum? ...silk smileys too pale?

Unkmar said...

There are quite a few smiley sites, however, I do not have the time to sort through 30,000 smileys to find 10 that are consistent in appearance, small enough to fit in a line of text without causing some lines to be larger than others and clear.

If anyone wishes to find a collection of the 10 smileys that we use, that are better, I'd be all for it smile

Jeremy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu