Re: Hypatia 3.0

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

Again, ham radio isn't relayed the way phone calls are.

katsmeow said...

Ham radio was being connected to phone lines before mobile phones were. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopatch

I stand corrected. Though it does seem less practical - e.g. can't be on hold on the phone through an autopatch since music can't be transmitted over ham. (I'd also be skeptical if autopatches would still work today, due to phone control signals now moving out of band, but that doesn't rule it out being a practical alternative in the '70s.)

katsmeow said...

Effective Radiated Power. Why it mattered: my car didn't look like it had anything but an AM radio in it, due to apparent lack of transmitter antenna.

PS: in case: you didn't understand the need for lack of transmitter antenna ; at one point in history, those who sold drugs recognized law enforcement vehicles by the 2-way communications equipment (make, model, etc didn't matter). Also, CB equipment might have a good resale value on the black market. Suspect antennas were damaged in various ways.

Ah, good to know.

jimcbrown said...

I mean, it's telling that one can attempt to search for a biotech firm that got rich by selling pain-relief capsaicin sprays and not find anything.

katsmeow said...

So they made a bucket of money and quit.

You removed the relevant part of my reponse here, so I'll reinclude it.

IOW, they probably lost everything including their pants and then quit.

katsmeow said...

The stuff is still being made.

Of course. A patent filed in 1975 would have expired at the new millenium. Even if it was filed a decade and a half late, the patent would still have been expired by over a decade at this point.

(I'm a bit puzzled here actually as I can't find any such patent. Perhaps they attempted to file one and it was rejected based on prior art. Which would be another reason why they lost their pants.)

katsmeow said...

And i thought the less physical water base was a plus for non-contact application.

A bit confused by this as a) most sprays of this kind are heavily water based from what I understood and b) doesn't the spray need to come into contact with a person's skin to take effect there?

jimcbrown said...

I mean who offers money and things

katsmeow said...

I didn't specify money as the sole component of "squat".

Me either, that's what the "and things" part meant.

katsmeow said...

Remember when DLL didn't imply dynamic de-linking of a library, and truely dynamically linking to a library any time besides startup?

I guess this must have been a windoze change or something. Glad I'm on nix.

katsmeow said...

Remember string execution?

Kat

Yep, sure do: https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/127219.wc and https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/127661.wc

katsmeow said...

For strtok.e, i did get attacked for straying from the Eu religion of atoms, and the mention of strings. For irc.e i got worse.

My memory has dimmed, but I recall that Rob Craig said the predecessor of Eu (which he did for his disseration) had strings as atoms. I recall getting into a somewhat heated discussion with Derek Parnell waaay back as well on the idea of treating strings as atoms instead of sequences. (This later evolved into the seq-op operations that I came up with.)

So at the very least, I can relate.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu