1. Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

So you know how there's NuGet.org and CPAN (for Perl) and CRAN (for R) and is it CTAN for TeX. Is there a list somewhere of libraries for Euphoria? For the Exercism track it'd be nice to be able to include in the learning resources where all the stuff can be found: Jean-Marc Duro's and Jeremy Cowgar's and Greg Haberek's libraries and all that.

-Bruce

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

axtens_bruce said...

So you know how there's NuGet.org and CPAN (for Perl) and CRAN (for R) and is it CTAN for TeX. Is there a list somewhere of libraries for Euphoria? For the Exercism track it'd be nice to be able to include in the learning resources where all the stuff can be found: Jean-Marc Duro's and Jeremy Cowgar's and Greg Haberek's libraries and all that.

This is one of the areas where you're starting to get too far ahead on Exercism compared to where we're at with the stability and lifecycle of Euphoria as a project. We do not have a definitive list of anything because things have been falling apart for the last decade. We need a good package management system and a repository for those packages but most importantly we need package authors and maintainers, and that includes people to build and operate the package system itself.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

ghaberek said...

but most importantly we need package authors and maintainers, and that includes people to build and operate the package system itself.

That cannot happen.
<coff> example: irc.e , news.e , task.e , shared_vars.e , fake_classes.e </coff>

Most of those i not only decided to not maintain, i deleted all my code.

Kat

4. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

ghaberek said...
axtens_bruce said...

This is one of the areas where you're starting to get too far ahead on Exercism compared to where we're at with the stability and lifecycle of Euphoria as a project. We do not have a definitive list of anything because things have been falling apart for the last decade. We need a good package management system and a repository for those packages but most importantly we need package authors and maintainers, and that includes people to build and operate the package system itself.

-Greg

A pacakage system for Euphoria would be great. I do agree that Euphoria does need help and needs to be overhauled a bit. Even the site(rapideuphoria) needs to be done. Get Euphoria up and current is a big task though. Hopefully 4.2.0 will help some. I was also skimming over the Windows API, I remember there being dicussion of how even Win32lib could use a overhaul too. Something that would work for modern windows. With Windows 10 and beyond, having WSL, it is possible to test for both Windows and Linux. I'm not really familiar with the Linux API at all though. I wouldn't mind starting a new win32lib or at least attempting a package manager for Euphoria.

5. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

Icy_Viking said...

A pacakage system for Euphoria would be great. I do agree that Euphoria does need help and needs to be overhauled a bit. Even the site(rapideuphoria) needs to be done.

I run this website (openeuphoria.org) and I would like to get it overhauled using a modern look and modern web technologies. And although I am hosting Rob Craig's original website (rapideuphoria.com) he has requested that I not modify it. The most I did was get the basic functionality working after I got it back online.

Icy_Viking said...

Get Euphoria up and current is a big task though.

I've spent most of my time lately trying to unbork the build system so that adding more back end features (like libffi) doesn't collapse the entire build. Plus I want to make cross-compiling easier so I that we can produce most architecture/platform combinations automatically. As always, anyone reading this is welcome to contribute and there are lots of smaller tasks that can be done.

Icy_Viking said...

Hopefully 4.2.0 will help some.

Indeed, especially on working towards a package manager. My main goals for 4.2 include libcurl support, hashing support (SHA256, etc), and gzip/zip file support out of the box. Those are all prerequisites for package management so once they're done, be able to start planning the details and operations of packages.

Icy_Viking said...

I was also skimming over the Windows API, I remember there being dicussion of how even Win32lib could use a overhaul too. Something that would work for modern windows. With Windows 10 and beyond, having WSL, it is possible to test for both Windows and Linux. I'm not really familiar with the Linux API at all though.

I've been fiddling with IUP again lately and although it works in WSLg, it does have some weird scaling issues due that throw things off. Once I get libffi implemented correctly, we'll have better structure support and that will make rebuilding Win32Lib easier (although not easy per se) for whoever decides to tackle that beast.

Icy_Viking said...

I wouldn't mind starting a new win32lib or at least attempting a package manager for Euphoria.

My approach to development is always: start small and iterate until you're done. It would be great if you could start doing some of the "field work" required for building a package manager for Euphoria. How do packages work in other languages? How do they deal with dependencies and conflicts? or different language versions? What's inside a package, how do they store metadata, what does server hosting look like? So many questions like that are beyond the scope of writing any code.

-Greg

6. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

There is PCAN for Phix. Should you think it needs improving, there is one person who is ideally suited to improving it. You.

7. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

petelomax said...

There is PCAN for Phix. Should you think it needs improving, there is one person who is ideally suited to improving it. You.

Just FYI, I got a complaint from my browser that the site is "not secure" (it is HTTP instead of HTTPS).

8. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

petelomax said...

Yup, good source of archive material and libraries, about 50% of which needs dragging on to eu 4.1. Is however some great stuff there.

One of the problems, as I see it, is there isn't a central library that users can upload to, as well as browse. The old rapideuphoria did this in it's old cumbersome way, but there has never been an agreement or real desire to reproduce this. If only we had a a larger user base.

Cheers

Chris

9. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

ChrisB said...

If only we had a a larger user base.

No promises, but if I can get Euphoria going on Exercism it should increase the user base.

-Bruce

10. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

ChrisB said...

One of the problems, as I see it, is there isn't a central library that users can upload to, as well as browse. The old rapideuphoria did this in it's old cumbersome way, but there has never been an agreement or real desire to reproduce this. If only we had a a larger user base.

Definitely a Catch-22 problem there. I do want to reproduce The Archive but it has to be done intentionally and not organically as it was. The great thing about The Archive was that anyone could upload their project. The worst thing about The Archive was that anyone could upload their project. We need a baseline template and standard packaging structure to help ensure compatibility and installation on any system. We also need baseline requirements for versioning, unit testing, documentation, etc. And package owners need to be held accountable for the continued upkeep of their projects. If you're providing a wrapper for libfoobar the you'd better be keeping it up to date with libfoobar. And if a package owner can't do that, we need to be able to share ownership so that it can be kept up to date.

-Greg

11. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

axtens_bruce said...

No promises, but if I can get Euphoria going on Exercism it should increase the user base.

I'm just worried that in our current state too many people might write us off and never come back. I'd prefer to have things more polished before stirring up attention but also we need more volunteers to keep things moving. Yet more Catch-22.

-Greg

12. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

ghaberek said...

we need more volunteers to keep things moving.

What are the upsides to volunteering here?

I volunteered that "o8.42.0.1 Marchine Level Access Summary" on the website is possibly an error, and this effort wasn't acknowledged or corrected. Etc.

Kat

13. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

katsmeow said...
ghaberek said...

but most importantly we need package authors and maintainers, and that includes people to build and operate the package system itself.

That cannot happen.

Why not? I think it can. PCAN for Phix is proof that it can be done. Heck, I wonder if we should work with petelomax to extend PCAN to cover OpenEuphoria specific packages as well.

That said, if we find someone who has the drive to create an OE packaging system from scratch and start adding packages to it, I don't have any real objections to letting that person start working.

katsmeow said...

<coff>

I always was a fan of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COFF

katsmeow said...

example: irc.e , news.e , task.e , shared_vars.e , fake_classes.e

Kat

I wonder if the hardest part of being a package system maintainer might be having the ability to work well with folks that one normally would not get along with. After all, that person not only deals with that one's own code, but has to deal with code others wrote.

katsmeow said...

I volunteered that "o8.42.0.1 Marchine Level Access Summary" on the website is possibly an error, and this effort wasn't acknowledged

Yes, it was! See https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/137385.wc

katsmeow said...

or corrected. Etc.

Kat

Well, correcting it is harder. The best I could say to this was

katsmeow said...

Now that it's been pointed out, I'm sure Greg will be in to fix this at some point.

And I believe that's true - but Greg has so much on his plate and almost no help, thus it's hard to say when it might get fixed.

Basically, one needs to create a ticket, then a branch against the ticket, then fix the documentation in the branch, then regenerate the manuals and stuff in the branch, commit the changes on the branch and push, raise a Pull Request on github, get it approved and merged, and then finally have the new version of the manual deployed to the website.

katsmeow said...
ghaberek said...

we need more volunteers to keep things moving.

What are the upsides to volunteering here?

You've probably hit the nail on the head here. You already know this, but I'm going to spell it out for any other potential readers of this thread. A small FOSS project with low exposure (so not much reputational benefit) is probably hard to seek volunteers for.

In the past, most people who volunteered did so as a labour of love, but as time went on and OpenEuphoria was further stuck in the past, it was harder to get people to push through, until eventually only Greg was left. And even he is feeling burned out.

Actually, Greg said the language was stuck in 2008, but in fact the changes that happened in 2008 that lead to 4.0 (instead of 3.2) were an unfinished attempt to modernize the language that was then stuck in the early 90s. Key word here being unfinished.

Forked into: PCAN packages

14. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...
ghaberek said...

That cannot happen.

Why not? I think it can. PCAN for Phix is proof that it can be done. Heck, I wonder if we should work with petelomax to extend PCAN to cover OpenEuphoria specific packages as well.

I think that Pete doing it all himself is an instance of amazing drive and dedication. But for OE, to paraphrase your words, it's still 2008.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

example: irc.e , news.e , task.e , shared_vars.e , fake_classes.e

Kat

I wonder if the hardest part of being a package system maintainer might be having the ability to work well with folks that one normally would not get along with. After all, that person not only deals with that one's own code, but has to deal with code others wrote.

Oh i agree 100%. It's worse than "not in my back yard", it's "i didn't write it, so it's a no-go at all, period". I wrote three irc.e in attempt to satisfy people, mostly removing features, and none were acceptable. It took a year(?) to get people to realise the original news.e was not running tasks asychronously, despite the obvious that every task always ended in the order they were declared.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

I volunteered that "o8.42.0.1 Marchine Level Access Summary" on the website is possibly an error, and this effort wasn't acknowledged

<snip>
And I believe that's true - but Greg has so much on his plate and almost no help, thus it's hard to say when it might get fixed.

Basically, one needs to create a ticket, then a branch against the ticket, then fix the documentation in the branch, then regenerate the manuals and stuff in the branch, commit the changes on the branch and push, raise a Pull Request on github, get it approved and merged, and then finally have the new version of the manual deployed to the website.

If it's that much trouble to edit spelling errors on the official OE website, it's no wonder no one will volunteer anything. Whatever happened to the many website maintainers OE has had since i was last refused for the job?

Kat

15. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

I think the bottom line on why things are the way they are, is: people chose this way. They put in place constraints to ensure they get what they want. Will you find a new volunteer you know nothing about, to follow this through, working with Greg to not mess up whatever he is doing, to fix a spelling error in the online official public-facing wiki??

jimcbrown said...

If they wanted the situation to be different than it is, they'd make sure it's possible. And being here over 25 years doesn't make volunteering possible.

Kat

16. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

katsmeow said...

I think that Pete doing it all himself is an instance of amazing drive and dedication.

Agreed.

katsmeow said...

But for OE, to paraphrase your words, it's still 2008.

Again, not mine - https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/137497.wc

katsmeow said...
jimcbrown said...

Oh i agree 100%. It's worse than "not in my back yard", it's "i didn't write it, so it's a no-go at all, period".

Actually, I wouldn't go quite that far. Perhaps this might have been the case back in the closed source days, but since the open sourcing of 3.0 patches and such have easily been accepted into the source. The hard part has been finding volunteers to handle all the steps.

Today it might even be easier. From what I've seen, it's mostly just Greg who has to OK the approach nowadays.

That said, a big part of the problem was myself - I implemented a code freeze on features some time back to get folks wasting time on not-well tested features to instead work on stablizing the code base for a 4.1 release. Instead, these folks mostly left the community and never came back - even after I admitted defeat lifted the freeze with 4.1 still unreleased.

katsmeow said...

It took a year(?) to get people to realise the original news.e was not running tasks asychronously, despite the obvious that every task always ended in the order they were declared.

Probably due to a lack of volunteers to perform rigorous and timely testing.

katsmeow said...

Whatever happened to the many website maintainers OE has had

Actually, since the move to the new forum in 2008, we've never had more than two. Only Jeremy and I had direct access to the website on that low level (including the oe.cowgar.com era), then later it was only euphoric and myself, and finally Greg and I.

That said, most of the steps can be done by non maintainers, so there's that.

katsmeow said...
jimcbrown said...

If it's that much trouble to edit spelling errors on the official OE website, it's no wonder no one will volunteer anything.
I think the bottom line on why things are the way they are, is: people chose this way. They put in place constraints to ensure they get what they want.

Actually, the reason for most of this flow (e.g. insisting on a pull request for peer review) is to avoid issues like the one you found. I believe the typos came about during a time where we experimented with looser controls and less review (in an attempt to make it easier for volunteers to contribute). As you can see, it didn't really work out that well.

That said, an aspect of this does ring true - I added contraints with my code freeze. I learned my lesson from that, though.

katsmeow said...

Will you find a new volunteer you know nothing about, to follow this through, working with Greg to not mess up whatever he is doing, to fix a spelling error

For most folks who use github to contribute to FOSS, this is actually how one typically does things. The filing of a ticket, managing branches and commits and making and approving pull requests, would all be second nature. Pull Requests and Peer Review also make sure things don't slip in that shouldn't be (in large part helping to deal with the unknown factor of a new volunteer).

Alas, most of the community here isn't familiar with doing things that way, particularly our nondev folks like _tom.

katsmeow said...

in the online official public-facing wiki??

I guess that's the other thing - the reason this is so hard (relatively speaking) is because it's a typo in the manual, which is autogenerated from the source code and then uploaded to the website. So the version of the manual on the website tracks comments in the source code and is not meant to be independently editable.

If it were just a wiki entry, it would have been fixed long ago.

katsmeow said...

If they wanted the situation to be different than it is, they'd make sure it's possible.

I think Greg is already working on a new version of the forum and so forth, which might make these things easier. (And nowadays it really is just Greg's call for these sort of things.)

And if someone did chime in and say, "Hey, I'd love to fix this but I'm not sure how to get started, can someone point me in the right direction?" then Greg and others would do everything in their power to make sure the person who chimed in could accomplish it.

katsmeow said...

And being here over 25 years doesn't make volunteering possible.

Kat

I think these two are more like independent variables. I've been here almost that long but I don't volunteer much anymore due to my expanding professional commitments and some personal life issues. But Greg and petelomax have both been here longer than I and they've done some amazing things single-handedly.

katsmeow said...

since i was last refused for the job?

Kat

Hmm. Did you ever apply?

Anyways, for interested folks, I'd say to aim lower first - try to become a dev (even a docs only dev) and submit tickets and pull requests and so forth. Much lower barrier to entry and easier to apply.

katsmeow said...

I wrote three irc.e in attempt to satisfy people, mostly removing features, and none were acceptable.

My memory on this is very blury but I believe that jeremy_c really wanted to get this in, back in the day. So the dev team probably would have said yes to any version that existed, with a few reasonable conditions (primarily no stealing someone else's copyrighted code and permission to modify irc.e afterwards as new issues needed to be addressed or new features wanted). My vague recollection here is that CoJaBo2 denied that these were acceptable and so no version ever made it to the dev team for consideration.

I should make it clear here that CoJaBo2 was just a standard issue forum member (and a minor at the time) and didn't officially have that veto power. So it's a shame that such requests someone went through CoJaBo2 instead of someone actually on the dev team, like myself or DerekP.

Anyways. So today, you'd just need to get Greg's approval. If that code still existed, he might well happily take the patch as-is, and do the ticket/branch/pull request/approval work himself to get it in.

Again, you already know this, but for others - if someone wants Greg to do a new irc.e from scratch - the issue is that without volunteers it's just one item of a long list of things to do. If nothing else (and unfortunately there's a whole lot else), probably JSON, YAML, etc would need to get done first (so modern web stuff would work).

17. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

euphoric said...
petelomax said...

Just FYI, I got a complaint from my browser that the site is "not secure" (it is HTTP instead of HTTPS).

I once spent months setting up a https site for Phix, then their server died and they never recovered.
I just checked again today and their SSL certificate is now 549 days out of date.

Update: by checking it, just got asked if I wanted to move to the new Plesk server, we'll see what happens...

18. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

ChrisB said...
petelomax said...

Yup, good source of archive material and libraries, about 50% of which needs dragging on to eu 4.1. Is however some great stuff there.

One of the problems, as I see it, is there isn't a central library that users can upload to, as well as browse.

Erm, that is precisely what PCAN is meant to be...

19. Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

Hi Pete

I know, but it's about a user friendly system as gitub (less so now I that I have had a glimmer of I'm doing with Github after several days fiddling.)

I think what I'm saying is that I'm fundamentally lazy, and I know one other thing, that's struck me time and time again, I'm average, If I think this way, then on a bell shaped curve the majority of the rest of the population thinks this way too. I don't want to learn the creole / wiki language to upload stuff, I want to drag and drop my files onto an upload here box and have the website do it for me. That's why I like dropbox / box / mediafire etc.

Not that I think that what you've done is not great, it's just too finickety for me.

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu