Re: Definitive list of Euphoria libraries?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...
ghaberek said...

but most importantly we need package authors and maintainers, and that includes people to build and operate the package system itself.

That cannot happen.

Why not? I think it can. PCAN for Phix is proof that it can be done. Heck, I wonder if we should work with petelomax to extend PCAN to cover OpenEuphoria specific packages as well.

That said, if we find someone who has the drive to create an OE packaging system from scratch and start adding packages to it, I don't have any real objections to letting that person start working.

katsmeow said...

<coff>

I always was a fan of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COFF

katsmeow said...

example: irc.e , news.e , task.e , shared_vars.e , fake_classes.e

Most of those i not only decided to not maintain, i deleted all my code.

Kat

I wonder if the hardest part of being a package system maintainer might be having the ability to work well with folks that one normally would not get along with. After all, that person not only deals with that one's own code, but has to deal with code others wrote.

katsmeow said...

I volunteered that "o8.42.0.1 Marchine Level Access Summary" on the website is possibly an error, and this effort wasn't acknowledged

Yes, it was! See https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/137385.wc

katsmeow said...

or corrected. Etc.

Kat

Well, correcting it is harder. The best I could say to this was

katsmeow said...

Now that it's been pointed out, I'm sure Greg will be in to fix this at some point.

And I believe that's true - but Greg has so much on his plate and almost no help, thus it's hard to say when it might get fixed.

Basically, one needs to create a ticket, then a branch against the ticket, then fix the documentation in the branch, then regenerate the manuals and stuff in the branch, commit the changes on the branch and push, raise a Pull Request on github, get it approved and merged, and then finally have the new version of the manual deployed to the website.

katsmeow said...
ghaberek said...

we need more volunteers to keep things moving.

What are the upsides to volunteering here?

You've probably hit the nail on the head here. You already know this, but I'm going to spell it out for any other potential readers of this thread. A small FOSS project with low exposure (so not much reputational benefit) is probably hard to seek volunteers for.

In the past, most people who volunteered did so as a labour of love, but as time went on and OpenEuphoria was further stuck in the past, it was harder to get people to push through, until eventually only Greg was left. And even he is feeling burned out.

Actually, Greg said the language was stuck in 2008, but in fact the changes that happened in 2008 that lead to 4.0 (instead of 3.2) were an unfinished attempt to modernize the language that was then stuck in the early 90s. Key word here being unfinished.

Forked into: PCAN packages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu