1. RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

RedyCode 0.9.0 is finally ready! It is available for download at http://redy-project.org/downloads.php.

I have made many many improvements since the last release. There are known minor bugs and missing features, but it is now stable enough to use. The documentation is unfinished, but hopefully it is complete enough to get you started.

Installaton

• RedyCode is a self-contained and portable application.
  • You do not need Euphoria installed, and if you have Euphoria installed, RedyCode should ignore it, because it has it's own stripped-down version of Euphoria 4.1 included.
  • Simply unzip the file and run RedyCode.exe. All the paths should be automatically detected relative to the location of RedyCode.exe
  • If you want to run RedyLib-based programs from another installation of Euphoria (or by double-clicking an .exw file in Explorer), you will need to copy include/redylib_0_9/ to it's include folder.
  • The RedyLib version is part of the include folder to avoid confusion when new versions come out. (I DO NOT want Redy to have the same compatibility confusion problems as win32lib did!)
  • RedyCode should work with no tweaking. It is designed to be easy to use. If you decide to customize euphoria with eu.cfg or batch files or whatever that may cause RedyCode to break, do so at your own risk! If there is a legitamate bug that causes RedyCode to not work under certain conditions, please let me know, with as much details as possible.

Learning how to use RedyCode

• RedyCode is an IDE. It comes with RedyLib, which is a standard library that includes a widget toolkit. Everything is 100% Euphoria code and completely custom-made, so the API will be new to you. There will be a learning curve.
  • RedyCode has a hypertext help system, which contains the official RedyCode manual. Please read it to learn how to use RedyLib. (Help menu -> Help)
  • Some example projects are included. These should be useful for learning by example.
  • You can also browse the RedyLib files themselves in the Project Tree under Includes->redylib_0_9 to see the actually source, which may help you understand how things work.

My intention was to have complete documentation and lots of demos, but i just didn't have time. It would be like writing an entire book. Please let me know if you have any questions about the RedyLib API. I realize how difficult it can be to learn how to use a new widget toolkit, and i would be happy to help with issues as the come up.

I will continue to add more features and squash bugs until the next planned major release around the end of this year. Let me know if you find any serious bugs.

Happy coding! smile

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

Congratulations, Redy is looking very good.

I especially like the editor for writing Creole markup.

I tried running Redy in a VirtualBox. When I execute code Redy simply vanishes. Probably something to do with trying to run Windows on a Linux machine.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

I installed Wine and RedyCode is working on Linux.

thanks

_tom

4. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

Looks really good. Gave it go, everything works. It will take some time to learn, but looks very promising.

5. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

I downloaded the latest version, unzipped it, and launched it.

I opened up a project, told it to run the program... and boom. All the windows closed.

Opening it up again didn't give me any hint as to what might have gone wrong. sad

6. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

dcuny said...

I downloaded the latest version, unzipped it, and launched it.

I opened up a project, told it to run the program... and boom. All the windows closed.

Opening it up again didn't give me any hint as to what might have gone wrong. sad

Uh-oh. What OS are you using? Is there no ex.err anywhere?

I am beginning to suspect a rare problem with the ShellExecute() wrapper, but it's not something that i have been able to reproduce.
Forked into: ShellExecute function wrapper

7. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

No ex.err that I can see.

8. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

dcuny said...

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

No ex.err that I can see.

Oh, that is what i developed RedyCode on. I don't know what would cause Run to crash like that. Does it crash every time? And did you try deleting the RedyCode.cfg file and running again?

9. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

Starting from Linux Mint...

1. install XPsp3 32bit in Virtual Box
  2. unarchive Redy
  3. launch Redy
    • loads
  4. load "Simple Project"
    • loads
    • execute just once
    • second time IDE vanishes
  5. reboot
    • launch, IDE vanishes
  6. delete .cfg
    • launch IDE
    • load and execute "Simple Project" just once
    • second time IDE vanishes

The strange behavior can be reproduced.

_tom

10. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

_tom said...

Starting from Linux Mint...

1. install XPsp3 32bit in Virtual Box
  2. unarchive Redy
  3. launch Redy
    • loads
  4. load "Simple Project"
    • loads
    • execute just once
    • second time IDE vanishes ...

The strange behavior can be reproduced.

_tom

does it work any better if you run RedyCode interpreted from its source directory? wondering if there is some problem in the binder

11. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

1. same XP on VirtualBox
  2. install OE4
  3. copy redy includes to c:/euphoria/include/redy
  4. error: peek_pointer ... wind32dll.e:873 ... has not been declared
  • snarky concluding comment: Windows is hard to use.

1. launch Redy from wine
  2. Simple.exw executes repeatedly
  • snarky concluding comment: Linux is easy to use.

_tom

12. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

_tom said...
  1. same XP on VirtualBox
  2. install OE4

1. launch Redy from wine

_tom

has to be eu41 probably a recent 32 bit version. it won't work as is with eu41 64 bit yet because of some of the hardcoded struct assumptions about pointer and int being 4 bytes in the win32 wrap. this will be true of many of the win32 progtrams and wraps in the archives too. but it should work fine on win64

• windows still hard to program for, but easier to install. gane over

13. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

I just set up a fresh "XP Mode" (SP3) that comes with win7 pro, and unzipped RedyCode to the desktop and ran it, and ran a program from it, no problems.

14. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

ne1uno said...
_tom said...
  1. same XP on VirtualBox
  2. install OE4

1. launch Redy from wine

_tom

has to be eu41 probably a recent 32 bit version. it won't work as is with eu41 64 bit yet because of some of the hardcoded struct assumptions about pointer and int being 4 bytes in the win32 wrap. this will be true of many of the win32 progtrams and wraps in the archives too. but it should work fine on win64

• windows still hard to program for, but easier to install. gane over

Redy uses:

Euphoria Interpreter v4.1.0 development
32-bit Windows, Using System Memory
Revision Date: 2015-02-02 14:18:53, Id: 6300:57179171dbed

15. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

• same XP on Virtualbox
  • download beta 4.1 from downloads page and install
  • using a copy of source from Redy-Code-master
  • mess with copying some files to c:/euphoria/include
  • success...RedyCode is working

The problem is hidden in the RedyCode (all-in-one) package.

Rant! Provide a simple description that provides a Redy installation given: OE41 install followed by a standard installation of /include files.

_tom

16. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

_tom said...
  • same XP on Virtualbox

Rant! Provide a simple description that provides a Redy installation given: OE41 install followed by a standard installation of /include files.

_tom

thanks, usually you get better error messages when you run interpreted. even better if you run the interpreter through an interpreter. that would be another good menu option for the run command

packaging up euphoria vrs installing it first. pros and cons either way. hardcoding redylib09 version number in all the includes seems like overkill too OTOH, it will make lib mismatches less likely and with a global find/replace, not that difficult to change. though, users may balk at the idea.

the real problem here is why bound programs fail run virtual.

17. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

ne1uno said...

windows still hard to program for, but easier to install. gane over

Actually, on supported hardware Windoze is harder to install: https://www.quora.com/Will-Linux-ever-be-as-easy-to-install-as-Windows-or-Mac-OS-X

Of course most people just buy an OS with their PC (and you can go to System76 for a GNU/Linux preinstalled system if you want), but this is cheating.

One of the ways that the Windoze installation process is harder: having to fix the bootloader post-installation if you are upgrading a multiboot system: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33433/restore-the-windows-boot-loader-after-an-ubuntu-update/

18. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

ne1uno said...

packaging up euphoria vrs installing it first. pros and cons either way. hardcoding redylib09 version number in all the includes seems like overkill too OTOH, it will make lib mismatches less likely and with a global find/replace, not that difficult to change. though, users may balk at the idea.

I hard-coded the version numbers because it makes it very clear what version of redylib is used, and different versions of redylib can co-exist. When version 0.9.1 comes out, it will still be redylib_0_9 and be compatible, but when version 1.0 comes out, you will have to intentionally switch your includes to redylib_1_0 and possibly make other changes to your app to upgrade it to 1.0, because a different version means changes in APIs may break your application.

19. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

_tom said...
  • same XP on Virtualbox

_tom

The file RedyCode\euphoria\custom_version.txt explains what version of eu it uses.

Also, in Help: "It comes with a stripped-down version of euphoria, so you don't need euphoria installed (and it should not use your installation of euphoria anyway). Theoretically, you should be able to replace the included version with a full version of euphoria 4.1 32-bit in the same folder, or you can go to Tools -> Preferences and change the euphoria paths, as long as you have redylib_0_9 in the specified include folder. Earlier versions of euphoria will probably not work, because i haven't had time to test compatibility yet."

20. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

ryanj said...
_tom said...
  • same XP on Virtualbox

_tom

Hi

this seems to be a security problem.

Windows does not allow (per default) to execute binaries from unknown sources.

If you start euiw.exe from the 'redy folder' directly and uncheck the button 'Don't ask always' in the appearing Window.
RedyCode will work like expected after this.

The best you can do, do it for all the .exe in the 'Redy' Folder.

Or better for you Ryan, use an install program.

Andreas

ryanj said...

The file RedyCode\euphoria\custom_version.txt explains what version of eu it uses.

Also, in Help: "It comes with a stripped-down version of euphoria, so you don't need euphoria installed (and it should not use your installation of euphoria anyway). Theoretically, you should be able to replace the included version with a full version of euphoria 4.1 32-bit in the same folder, or you can go to Tools -> Preferences and change the euphoria paths, as long as you have redylib_0_9 in the specified include folder. Earlier versions of euphoria will probably not work, because i haven't had time to test compatibility yet."

21. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

andi49 said...

Hi

this seems to be a security problem.

Windows does not allow (per default) to execute binaries from unknown sources.

If you start euiw.exe from the 'redy folder' directly and uncheck the button 'Don't ask always' in the appearing Window.
RedyCode will work like expected after this.

The best you can do, do it for all the .exe in the 'Redy' Folder.

Or better for you Ryan, use an install program.

Andreas

I just confirmed, if the window pops up to ask if i want to allow eui.exe to run from RedyCode, RedyCode crashes with no ex.err file. Sometimes it takes a second or two, sometimes it is immediate.

22. Re: RedyCode 0.9.0 officially released!

ryanj said...

I just confirmed, if the window pops up to ask if i want to allow eui.exe to run from RedyCode, RedyCode crashes with no ex.err file. Sometimes it takes a second or two, sometimes it is immediate.

And I just fixed it! I forgot that i had the same crash bug when using GetOpenFileName(). When a win32 dialog is open and blocking a redy program, it crashes because the WM_TIMER event handler has a task_yield() in it. The solution was to temporarily disable the task_yield() call while a dialog is open. I added that to the ShellExecute wrapper, and now it works fine even if the security dialog pops up.

Now that i think about it, this could explain why ShellExecute would crash every once in a while, even when it doesn't need to ask for permission to run the exe. If it takes a fraction of a second too long for the function to return, i guess the 0.1 second timer that's running may call the callback in that amount of time, causing a rare crash.

I made a few other improvements too. 0.9.1 will be released asap.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu