1. New Pdf For Editing or Download

I have generated a fresh Pdf of the documentation.

You can view and download this copy found at google.docs (about 2.6MB):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbbDRUbUZXT1dsY00/edit?usp=sharing

This Pdf was created using wkhtmltopdf. The contents are slightly updated from what is now shipped with O[ .

• I have some changes planned.
  • I welcome ideas and contributions, which I can add to the documentation.
  • Criticize the format...

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

A few points:

• PDF-XChange Viewer opens the document fine. Adobe Reader X and Adobe Acrobat X both give this error.

There was an error opening this document. The root object is missing or invalid.

• The margins are too small. If someone were to print this, it would likely have a lot of content cut off around the edges.

• The title font should probably be one or two points smaller so the "v4.0" doesn't wrap onto another line.

• Is there any way to put anchors behind titles? For example, when I click 1.1 Quick Overview, the section I arrive at has the title off the screen.

• Can the bookmarks be arranged in a more hierarchical fashion? Right now it's mostly a flat list. e.g. Section 1.1 should be under Chapter 1.

• Personally, I would put "OpenEuphoria" in the lower-left corner of the page, and the page number in the lower-right.

(I keep adding things to this list...)

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

I have generated a fresh Pdf of the documentation.

You can view and download this copy found at google.docs (about 2.6MB):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbbDRUbUZXT1dsY00/edit?usp=sharing

This Pdf was created using wkhtmltopdf. The contents are slightly updated from what is now shipped with O[ .

• I have some changes planned.
  • I welcome ideas and contributions, which I can add to the documentation.
  • Criticize the format...

_tom

I also had trouble opening with Acrobat. I opened it with another software, resaved it and is now visible under Arobat
A quick look at it and there does not seem to be any major formatting problem.

You can downloaded it at https://app.box.com/s/b1z73ykhqxcgz7t1dp09 I have not zipped it.
Please let me know if you cannot download and when you want me to discontinue in favour of any changed version.

Edited: I should have said " read with Adobe reader"

4. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

I rechecked my saved PDF, and it is defective. It opens under Adobe but access does not work under Windows 7.
So perhaps it is best to wait for the original auther to solve the problem.

5. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

I am abandoning wkhtmltopdf for making a pdf.

Next iteration is using Libre Office.

The next draft is oe.pdf.zip found at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbdkF6U21FNU1OemM/edit?usp=sharing

I can open this file using Linux; not tested on Windows.

I am having trouble with eudoc. It is not reading map.e, scinote.e, and debug.e on my computer. The draft pdf is missing these files.

Libre Office solves some of the formatting problems that were mentioned. It also produces a pdf without resorting to a monster download of a tex system.

_tom

6. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

It's looking much better. I still think the title font is a few points too large. It dwarfs the rest of the content and each title takes up nearly 1" on my screen. I'm also not sure about the page numbering; each page says, "OpenEuphoria 1", "OpenEuphoria 2" etc. and at first I thought they were version numbers.

-Greg

7. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

I just built the pdf using pdftex via the makefile:

http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/docs/euphoria-4.1-2013-11-08.pdf

Matt

8. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

It's been awhile since I just browsed through the manual ... anyhow I found myself thinking ... holy shit this is a great language. Just sayin'.

9. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

I am abandoning wkhtmltopdf for making a pdf.

Next iteration is using Libre Office.

The next draft is oe.pdf.zip found at:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbdkF6U21FNU1OemM/edit?usp=sharing

I can open this file using Linux; not tested on Windows.

I am having trouble with eudoc. It is not reading map.e, scinote.e, and debug.e on my computer. The draft pdf is missing these files.

Libre Office solves some of the formatting problems that were mentioned. It also produces a pdf without resorting to a monster download of a tex system.

_tom

Under Windows 7 Adobe Reader opens it fine and a preliminary check on the section access URLs (left part) allows access to the intended part.
I will check more and also under Windows XP.

10. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

I don't seem to have this problem. The version I'm running reports itself as v1.1.0, and I get:

$ hg su 
parent: 65:7a49b0f9dd73 tip  

Can you tell me what sort of problems you're having.

On another note, the pdftex version isn't getting the TOC for some reason. getlost

Matt

11. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

mattlewis said...

On another note, the pdftex version isn't getting the TOC for some reason. getlost

Oh...I wasn't running it correctly. It needs a few passes to get the references right (makefile target pdfdoc-initial).

Updated:

http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/docs/euphoria-4.1-2013-11-09.pdf

Matt

12. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

I do not understand the error message:

$ ./eudoc map.e -o foo.txt 
(file map.e ln 1, col 1) Unknown token type 

Particulars:

• Mint Linux
  • fresh compiled eudoc
  • fresh copy of map.e take from a zip download from Hg

Putting a blank line at the head of map.e moves the error message to ln2, col1

13. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

It looks like you are not actually running the eudoc program. Try running it as an interpreted one. eg.

$ eui eudoc.ex map.e -o foo.txt 

14. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

If I execute:

./eudoc base64.e -o foo.txt

I produce the expected file.

If I execute:

eui eudoc map.e -o foo.txt

I still get frustrated. ( eui eudoc base64.e -o foo.txt works as expected. )

Using: eudoc v1.1.0

_tom

15. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

If I execute:

./eudoc base64.e -o foo.txt

I produce the expected file.

If I execute:

eui eudoc map.e -o foo.txt

I still get frustrated. ( eui eudoc base64.e -o foo.txt works as expected. )

Using: eudoc v1.1.0

I cannot reproduce this, either in 4.0 or 4.1 documentation.

Matt

16. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

DerekParnell said...
_tom said...

It looks like you are not actually running the eudoc program.

Hmm.. what makes you think that? This error is clearly generated by eudoc, in euparser.e line 442.

This error is actually not coming from eudoc, but include/euphoria/tokenize.e - perhaps there is an old or out of date Euphoria installation that is causing the wrong tokenizer to be used?

17. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

said...

This error is actually not coming from eudoc, but include/euphoria/tokenize.e - perhaps there is an old or out of date Euphoria installation that is causing the wrong tokenizer to be used?

I started up a VirtualBox, installed XP, installed Eu4.0.5. The result is that things work.

Whatever I did to my Linux installation is very strange.

_tom

18. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...
said...

I started up a VirtualBox, installed XP, installed Eu4.0.5. The result is that things work.

Whatever I did to my Linux installation is very strange.

_tom

Do you get problems if you use 4.1 on Windoze instead of 4.0.5? The tokenizer changed between versions (though I'd imagine Derek and Matt were using 4.1 with eudoc, in which case that's probably not it. Still worth checking imvho though).

To track down where the errant tokenizer.e is coming from, I suggest modifying scanner.e's path_open() routine to print out the new_include_name variable and then running eudoc.ex via int.ex - that should at least tell you if the right tokenizer.e file is being included or not.

19. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

mattlewis said...
mattlewis said...

Oh...I wasn't running it correctly. It needs a few passes to get the references right (makefile target pdfdoc-initial).

Updated:

http://openeuphoria.org/eubins/docs/euphoria-4.1-2013-11-09.pdf

Matt

I have recehecked the readability of the PDF version euphoria-4.1-2013-11-09.pdf by Matt and oe.pdf by _tom.
General remarks: Both version are downloadable fairly easily under XP-SP3 and Win 7. Both versions have an adequate left hand panel for quick access to main and sub-topics as defined.
The versions used are different, and also different from the current Euphoria on line manual.

Under XP-SP3: Using Adobe reader 8 and Adobe reader 11 (current), there were no apparent problems.
Using Foxit Pro, there were no apparent problems.

Under Win 7: Using Adobe reader 11 (current), there were no apparent problems.
Using Foxit ProPDF Architect, there were no apparent problems.

Details: oe.pdf is weaker because of absence of table on Page 1. People accept it, although there is a access table on the left hand panel. At page 45/46 of oe.pdf and about Page 55 of Matt's version, there is a list of built-in functions. If you look at the current HTML manual at beginning of section 8.1, there is a nice table and you can click on say "floor" to get to the appropriate function. You can't do this in either of the PDF published. Other internal url accesses seem to work.

The above information is no endorsement or otherwise or the quality of documentation; I have only addressed the readability and usability. of the pblished PDFs.

20. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

• I solved the "eudoc" problem. My copy of map.e was corrupted. I copied the text of map.e to a fresh file and now eudoc reads it properly. I can't figure out how just three files got corrupted.
  • My newest uploads are tagged with 315, which is today's (315 of 365) day number.
  • I have uploaded a new PDF ( 2MB zipped )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbcFhFZVhNemFvYkk/edit?usp=sharing

• I have uploaded the LibreOffice .odt version ( 0.6MB unzipped )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbbDlEelVfbkZPTzA/edit?usp=sharing

• Google Docs timed out trying to convert the .odt to their format; no editable documentation for now.

Thanks for looking over the draft documentation. I will try to fix the items (headers, links, ...) that have been discovered.

_tom

21. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...
  • I solved the "eudoc" problem. My copy of map.e was corrupted. I copied the text of map.e to a fresh file and now eudoc reads it properly. I can't figure out how just three files got corrupted.
  • My newest uploads are tagged with 315, which is today's (315 of 365) day number.
  • I have uploaded a new PDF ( 2MB zipped )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbcFhFZVhNemFvYkk/edit?usp=sharing

• I have uploaded the LibreOffice .odt version ( 0.6MB unzipped )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbbDlEelVfbkZPTzA/edit?usp=sharing

• Google Docs timed out trying to convert the .odt to their format; no editable documentation for now.

Thanks for looking over the draft documentation. I will try to fix the items (headers, links, ...) that have been discovered.

_tom

Hi, i was able to Download the .odt with SoftMaker Office (took about 15 minutes), i also was able to create a pdf with it.
http://euphoria.indonesianet.de/OE-315-1.pdf

looks really good, go on.

Andreas

22. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

Very interesting Andreas. It was my hope that the .odt format would allow people to produce their own documentation.

When something needs fixing, changing, adding, ... send in a plain text, .odt, or just drop a comment on the forum.

_tom

23. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

Very interesting Andreas. It was my hope that the .odt format would allow people to produce their own documentation.

When something needs fixing, changing, adding, ... send in a plain text, .odt, or just drop a comment on the forum.

_tom

Hi

how did you create the .odt from the sources? Also the .odt misses the pics (but this is not so important).

One thing, the manual (as an .odt) is a real monster. Maybe you can split it.

Andreas

24. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

So......

Where is there a pdf i can open and read and search using Adobe on winxp?

useless

25. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

said...

Try https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbcFhFZVhNemFvYkk/edit?usp=sharing

Not having Windows on my computer, you will have to report if Adobe will read it.

said...

how did you create the .odt from the sources? Also the .odt misses the pics (but this is not so important).

The process is eudoc extracts and collects documentation, then creole makes either a Latex or Html product. I took the Html version and read it in using Libre Office. Libre Office makes a Pdf or saves in .odt format.

I have been trying to avoid using Latex but I have not found an alternative.

The "illustrated Pdf" exists only on my computer so far; I am still experimenting with changes to the official documentation. A .odt with images may require manual editing to embed images; this would be impractical.

said...

One thing, the manual (as an .odt) is a real monster. Maybe you can split it.

Good idea. The .odt format contains a lot of XML overhead.

_tom

26. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

The 315 version and the other one made at the same time are not quite as good on windows. Please read this as a continuation of my previous analysis on this subject.
Where is the HTML file that I can download and attempt to PDF it?

27. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...
said...

Try https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbcFhFZVhNemFvYkk/edit?usp=sharing

Not having Windows on my computer, you will have to report if Adobe will read it.

The website displays it ok, but the links in the displayed pdf are not clickable. I do not know if that is OS or browser dependant.

I downloaded the pdf zip file, opened and extracted with winrar, and it seems to work great using Adobe reader v11.0.1 on winxp.

As usual using someone else's idea of Wonderful Stuff, searching for "value" in the pdf lands on just about every other page. Searching for "value(" lands on fewer pages, maybe 100 of them. Is there an option in the pdf for a pre-set search table, in addition to the default word search, such that a searched-for word like "value" lands on page 377 (the currently correct page number) for the "value" reserved word? Perhaps this reserved-word table-search can be simply the list of see-also links that already exist.

Thanks!

useless

28. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

useless_ said...

As usual using someone else's idea of Wonderful Stuff, searching for "value" in the pdf lands on just about every other page. Searching for "value(" lands on fewer pages, maybe 100 of them. Is there an option in the pdf for a pre-set search table, in addition to the default word search, such that a searched-for word like "value" lands on page 377 (the currently correct page number) for the "value" reserved word? Perhaps this reserved-word table-search can be simply the list of see-also links that already exist.

The html documentation has an index. I'm not sure why we don't have that in the pdf. I'll put that on my list of things to look into.

Matt

29. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

I have split the documentation into several pdfs:

• start ( introduction and installing )
  • reference ( language description )
  • api ( built-ins and standard library )
  • guides ( mini-guide articles )
  • demo ( the source-code for tutorial and demo programs)

There are pdf and text versions for each. The api file timed out while converting to google format; it is saved in .odt format.

You can download all files. You can edit all files.

Comments:

• the files are tagged with the daynumber 320
  • I have not spent time formatting since that takes too much time.

-tom

The link to the google.docs directory is:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4wfRhusHmUbejdnVThrYVFRUW8&usp=sharing

30. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

_tom said...

I have split the documentation into several pdfs:

• start ( introduction and installing )
  • reference ( language description )
  • api ( built-ins and standard library )
  • guides ( mini-guide articles )
  • demo ( the source-code for tutorial and demo programs)

There are pdf and text versions for each. The api file timed out while converting to google format; it is saved in .odt format.

You can download all files. You can edit all files.

Comments:

• the files are tagged with the daynumber 320
  • I have not spent time formatting since that takes too much time.

-tom

The link to the google.docs directory is:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4wfRhusHmUbejdnVThrYVFRUW8&usp=sharing

Hi again, i did a only quick check

only the oe320-api.odt seems to be a valid .odt file

I downloaded and converted this file to a .pdf

works out of the box, in my version also the links are working! (also they are not colored, but highlighted if you move the mouse over them)
but there are errors if the link is not in the current file (maybe a result of the splitting)

pdf reader is Adobe XI 11.03.37

The pdf is here: http://euphoria.indonesianet.de/oe320-api.pdf

Andreas

31. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

I confirm all of above as posted by Andreas.
Tested only with Win 7.

32. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

said...

said...

The process is eudoc extracts and collects documentation, then creole makes either a Latex or Html product. I took the Html version and read it in using Libre Office. Libre Office makes a Pdf or saves in .odt format.

I have been trying to avoid using Latex but I have not found an alternative.

The "illustrated Pdf" exists only on my computer so far; I am still experimenting with changes to the official documentation. A .odt with images may require manual editing to embed images; this would be impractical.

Hallo, still didnt't get it
I was able to create a single .html of the docs (using eudoc and creole)
I also was able to create an .odt using OpenOffice 4.0.1. But all this files still refer to external html files
maybe i did something wrong creating the docs.
Maybe you can tell how you created the .odt without the references to external files.

Thank you
Andreas

33. Re: New Pdf For Editing or Download

Effectively I am working with a fork of the official documentation.

There is a new arrangement of directories under /euphoria/docs.

• the idea is to make it easier (for me) to work on different sections of the documentation
  • subdirectories will make it easier to organize images (yet to be created)
  • this is all an experiment; not ready to upload to the official SCM

I zipped a copy of the directory I a working with and uploaded it to google.docs as releasing-oE-321.zip (about 25MB). Assumptions:

• eudoc and creole are compiled and copied to /usr/share/bin
  • /demo and /tutor are ignored (since they will not be changed in the near future)
  • executing makepdf.ex should produce a few directories containing .html documentation

The makepdf.ex programs does a few odd things. I edit an intermediate .html to make links and images work. Getting images into a pdf will require that they link to subdirectories in /euphoria/docs.

Reading .html documentation with Libre Office lets me save it as an .odt file and lets me create a pdf. Libre Office will read the styles from an existing .odt file so formatting and page numbering details are copied into a newer .odt file.

Google.docs converts .odt files into its own format when I uploaded the sample documentation (except for the api file...it choked on the file size). You can open and then view, edit, or save the Google.docs files in any format you wish, including pdf, directly from google.docs.

So that is how it is done.

By now Matt is smiling, since these complications were motivated by my desire to avoid Latex.

_tom

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu