1. Prev/Next Fix

Also on this update, I fixed(??) the prev/next problem.

On the List Index, it shows

On the Message View it shows < Newer || Older >

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Also on this update, I fixed(??) the prev/next problem.

On the List Index, it shows

On the Message View it shows < Newer || Older >

Jeremy

The arrows on the message view seem to be backwards, IMO.

j.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Prev/Next Fix

It may not be the best way to fix it, But it's the easiest.

I think it's just fine (clearer) now.

You can go ahead and work on something else.smile smile smile

Rubber bands last longer refrigerated.

don cole

4. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Jason Gade said...

The arrows on the message view seem to be backwards, IMO.

Yes, they did to me as well, but I was trying to keep consistent with the message list. Flipping them is not a problem.

Jeremy

5. Re: Prev/Next Fix

don cole said...

What is the best fix?

Jeremy

6. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Jeremy Cowgar said...
don cole said...

What is the best fix?

Jeremy

I believe the the default first page one sees should be 3439 of 3439 (the newest page).

Hitting the Previous Button would take you back to page 3438. The Previous page.

Hit the Next Button from there would take you to page 3439.

Page 1 would be the oldest page (not the newest) and at the bottom of the stack. It would also be the first (#1) page ever created in this forum.

To me this makes more sense.

In Euphoria I would change to code from

For x=1 to length(all_the_pages) do 

to

for x=length(all_the_pages) to 1 by -1 do 

Maybe it's the other way.

However you are doing it now, switch it.

don cole

7. Re: Prev/Next Fix

don cole said...

I believe the the default first page one sees should be 3439 of 3439 (the newest page).

Don, this is backward from any forum I've seen. You can look at Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, phpBB and others. Newest posts are on page 1 at the top of the page. Some have an option for sorting in reverse order that would put the latest post on 3,439 at the bottom of the page, but that's usually the exception.

Jeremy

8. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Jeremy Cowgar said...

Don, this is backward from any forum I've seen. You can look at Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, phpBB and others. Newest posts are on page 1 at the top of the page. Some have an option for sorting in reverse order that would put the latest post on 3,439 at the bottom of the page, but that's usually the exception.

Hi Jeremy

I just noticed I get a 500 Internal Server Error when clicking on the thread view, just for this thread.

Also, I wonder if some people (like me) were confused with this Prev/Next thread thinking of the Prev/Next on the message view rather than the list view? I like the newer/older model in the list view.

My only gripe is having "Next" (on the message view) being so far to the left. It seems strange but it seems more comfortable to have "Prev" on the left and "Next" over to the right of the screen (like I think the old EUForum had). But that's not a real biggie :)

Gary

9. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Gary Shingles said...

I just noticed I get a 500 Internal Server Error when clicking on the thread view, just for this thread.

It's something to do with the Creole parser and an eucode tag. Have not fully debugged it yet, but I'll get the bug taken care of. It is affecting the RSS feed as well.

said...

My only gripe is having "Next" (on the message view) being so far to the left. It seems strange but it seems more comfortable to have "Prev" on the left and "Next" over to the right of the screen (like I think the old EUForum had). But that's not a real biggie :)

It'll be fixed soon. Stay tuned.

Jeremy

10. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Jeremy Cowgar said...
don cole said...

Newest posts are on page 1 at the top of the page.

You are both correct, depending on one's perspective.

In the common paradigm of a diary, the very first message is put on the first page, and subsequent messages follow on later pages. The final message is on the last page of the diary. This is the way that people generally expect things.

However, web-based forums do not generally use the diary paradigm. The first page is simply the initial page to be shown on screen to the user, and normally this these are the most recent messages, and thus they appear on page 1 of the forum list. Subsequent messages are displayed in later pages with the oldest (the first, time-wise) appears on the last page. The opposite of the diary paradigm.

It is pretty well established that this forum will not be using the diary format and so the first page will display the newest messages.

11. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Derek Parnell said...

It is pretty well established that this forum will not be using the diary format and so the first page will display the newest messages.

Well, actually I will be adding a sort option. When user accounts are complete, you can store the sort option in your preference. Depending on if you sort Ascending or Descending will determine which type of view you will get.

Jeremy

12. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Jeremy Cowgar said...
don cole said...

Jeremy

I agree withe Don. phpBB does NOT put newer messages on page 1. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1039695

The only time you see "newest posts on page 1" or at the top of the page is when it is showing you a "view new messages" or "view topics" list, which shows only topics, not the messages themselves. Then when clicking on a topic it takes you to the subforum or to messages. Threads always show oldest messages on lowest pages.

For EuForum to conform to standard forum display formats, it would have to show topics (the "subject" of a message) on the index page, with the topic having the most recent post at the top. Then, when clicking on a topic, it takes you to the threaded messages.

13. Re: Prev/Next Fix

It's a matter of semantics - 1 of 3749 well, I'm just guessing here, but I think there are more than 3740 messages pg.1 of 3740 would be clearer.

Messages headers could also have a message #. Number 1 would be the first ever posted. 3740 would be the message at the top of page 1. (until there's another post)

The buttons should also say next and previous what: prev pg? prev 20 msgs?

14. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Here's an example view from the phpBB web site:

The Topics View shows a list of threads by their topic name. The thread with the most recent post is at top. This is convenient and probably should be the display that index.cgi defaults to.

Now, click into the topic "Custom BBCodes." You'll note that the oldest message is on page 1 of 74.

That is how messages are usually displayed in most forums.

Of course, EuForum doesn't have to do what standard forums do, but it would make things convenient for the end users.

15. Re: Prev/Next Fix

euphoric said...

I agree withe Don. phpBB does NOT put newer messages on page 1. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1039695

We are all talking about different things here. I (and I think Don) are talking about the message list, not the message view. The link above is the message view. I've said it in the past here on the forum but I will say it again... When the forum gets a message view like the link above, it will have the oldest message first. That is the only natural way to read a thread like that. It would be insane to do it otherwise, but that's not what we are talking about, at least I do not think. Don had mentioned the page numbers, thus he is speaking of the message list, not the message viewing as the above link shows.

euphoric said...

Here's an example view from the phpBB web site:

Yes, and notice two things. The default view is the Newest message on page one and at the top. That's the way the current forum works in the message list. Now, the second thing to notice is that there is a selector (which I have also talked about before here on the forum) and it allows you to sort Ascending and Descending. Once we have the thread list like the above, EUforum will be able to display messages lists in both manners.

euphoric said...

The Topics View shows a list of threads by their topic name. The thread with the most recent post is at top. This is convenient and probably should be the display that index.cgi defaults to.

Indeed. When it has that view, it will be the default, however in your user preferences you will have the ability to set your default view. Many will like the view of the message by message as the old EUforum was and the current forum is.

euphoric said...

Now, click into the topic "Custom BBCodes." You'll note that the oldest message is on page 1 of 74.

That is how messages are usually displayed in most forums.

Of course, EuForum doesn't have to do what standard forums do, but it would make things convenient for the end users.

Yup, that is 50% done, and works exactly how you are showing it.

Jeremy

16. Re: Prev/Next Fix

I really don't care about what you do with the page changing controls. I probably use those less than once a month. However, the next change needs to be to put the older button on the left and the newer button on the left. It's really messing with my head, the way it is.

Matt

PS I am not a crackpot.

17. Re: Prev/Next Fix

Matt Lewis said...

I really don't care about what you do with the page changing controls. I probably use those less than once a month. However, the next change needs to be to put the older button on the left and the newer button on the left. It's really messing with my head, the way it is.

Yes, I quite dislike it as well. I made it that way because I think of mis-communication. I think we are all getting the message view and message list goofed up due to terminology.

Jeremy

18. Re: Prev/Next Fix

http://www.openeuphoria.org/EUforum/index.cgi?module=forum&action=message&id=100618#100618

Chris

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu