Re: Prev/Next Fix

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
euphoric said...

I agree withe Don. phpBB does NOT put newer messages on page 1. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1039695

We are all talking about different things here. I (and I think Don) are talking about the message list, not the message view. The link above is the message view. I've said it in the past here on the forum but I will say it again... When the forum gets a message view like the link above, it will have the oldest message first. That is the only natural way to read a thread like that. It would be insane to do it otherwise, but that's not what we are talking about, at least I do not think. Don had mentioned the page numbers, thus he is speaking of the message list, not the message viewing as the above link shows.

euphoric said...

Here's an example view from the phpBB web site:

Yes, and notice two things. The default view is the Newest message on page one and at the top. That's the way the current forum works in the message list. Now, the second thing to notice is that there is a selector (which I have also talked about before here on the forum) and it allows you to sort Ascending and Descending. Once we have the thread list like the above, EUforum will be able to display messages lists in both manners.

euphoric said...

The Topics View shows a list of threads by their topic name. The thread with the most recent post is at top. This is convenient and probably should be the display that index.cgi defaults to.

Indeed. When it has that view, it will be the default, however in your user preferences you will have the ability to set your default view. Many will like the view of the message by message as the old EUforum was and the current forum is.

euphoric said...

Now, click into the topic "Custom BBCodes." You'll note that the oldest message is on page 1 of 74.

That is how messages are usually displayed in most forums.

Of course, EuForum doesn't have to do what standard forums do, but it would make things convenient for the end users.

Yup, that is 50% done, and works exactly how you are showing it.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu