1. contributor archive searches

<kat> !eu help <[Tiggr]> I have several !eu commands for looking up things in the archives: <[Tiggr]> !eu help , you're reading this now. Please keep in mind there's a lot of misspelling in the archives. And neither will "interrupt" find "interrupts". Searches are case-insensitive. <[Tiggr]> !eu search ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application, path, and file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu searchapp ~app ~text , this i look thru only thru the ~app's files for ~text, reporting each file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu searchapps ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu show ~file ~text , i will show you the first two lines in ~file where ~text is found. Use the path\filename i gave you in search. You can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu more , if used within 2 minutes of your last search or show, i report 2 more irc lines of files or applications or lines, depending on what you searched or showed for.

The "!eu show" is not turned on at this time, the time being 2:20am. The results are nearly instant, with 183,264 unique words preindexed, it's speed is affected only by irc and my isp's lag. Your search results are cached, so the more command is even faster. Wildmatches may follow. The code is 100% mirc, since i pulled all Euphoria code out of Tiggr a while back. Doing this in Eu would have been easier.

Kat, waiting to see how it's mis/used.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: contributor archive searches

Again, with the body layout messed up.

So if we want a line break,

use a LOT of them, eh?

Or is "
" sufficient?

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat said...

<kat> !eu help <[Tiggr]> I have several !eu commands for looking up things in the archives: <[Tiggr]> !eu help , you're reading this now. Please keep in mind there's a lot of misspelling in the archives. And neither will "interrupt" find "interrupts". Searches are case-insensitive. <[Tiggr]> !eu search ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application, path, and file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu searchapp ~app ~text , this i look thru only thru the ~app's files for ~text, reporting each file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu searchapps ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu show ~file ~text , i will show you the first two lines in ~file where ~text is found. Use the path\filename i gave you in search. You can get more lines with "more". <[Tiggr]> !eu more , if used within 2 minutes of your last search or show, i report 2 more irc lines of files or applications or lines, depending on what you searched or showed for.

The "!eu show" is not turned on at this time, the time being 2:20am. The results are nearly instant, with 183,264 unique words preindexed, it's speed is affected only by irc and my isp's lag. Your search results are cached, so the more command is even faster. Wildmatches may follow. The code is 100% mirc, since i pulled all Euphoria code out of Tiggr a while back. Doing this in Eu would have been easier.

That looks really neat, Kat, 'tho I can't guess how to use, let alone misuse it. I just replied because, either fortuitously or deliberately, the reply auto-imposed line feeds for you. :)

dan

4. Re: contributor archive searches

Well that's weird (or not?)! When I composed my previous reply to kat/tigger with quoted text, it appeared in the reply ("body") field with line feeds, so I thought it would appear similarly in the forum, but instead it shows like the original.

Dan

5. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat said...

<kat> !eu help
<[Tiggr]> I have several !eu commands for looking up things in the archives:
<[Tiggr]> !eu help , you're reading this now. Please keep in mind there's a lot of misspelling in the archives. And neither will "interrupt" find "interrupts". Searches are case-insensitive.
<[Tiggr]> !eu search ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application, path, and file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu searchapp ~app ~text , this i look thru only thru the ~app's files for ~text, reporting each file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu searchapps ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu show ~file ~text , i will show you the first two lines in ~file where ~text is found. Use the path\filename i gave you in search. You can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu more , if used within 2 minutes of your last search or show, i report 2 more irc lines of files or applications or lines, depending on what you searched or showed for.

double slashes force a linebreak. tward the bottom of the page when you edit is a little creole markup cheatsheet. the answer is usually right in front of you.

6. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat,

The formats the code in a sensible way. Paragraphs are any number of lines back to back. If you want to start a new paragraph, leave a blank line between two lines. You can also force a line break if you want by using \\ at the end of it. This is done because many people have different ideas of how a message should be formatted, for instance, if the forum just took how the user entered it, you could have messages formatted like this:

Hello World, how
are you doing?
I hope you
can read
this OK. I
hit enter
way too often
and this paragraph
is way too narrow
for everyone
with a
modern monitor.

Now, if you are putting in, say commands and you want to keep your exact formatting, you can use the {{{ ... }}} formatting, for instance:

$ exu /opt/euphoria/lines.ex 
lines  nb-lines  nb-nc-lines  chars 
   14       9          5        291   common.e 
    6       5          5         95   config.e 
  148     125        124       3370   format.e 
   10       7          6        136   forum.ex 
  232     185        162       4655   forumdb.e 
  410     331        302       8547   total 

So, that is for preformatted blocks of text. It may take a bit of getting use to but it's pretty nice once you get the hang of it. I will soon be adding a preview button which will help out.

Jeremy

7. Re: contributor archive searches

it should be mentioned for those not on IRC often,
/msg Tiggr !eu help
will often work with ircbots but there are reasons why that might be disabled.

get an irc client and /join #euphoria on freenode to find out more.

8. Re: contributor archive searches

Dan M. said...
Kat said...

<kat> !eu help
<[Tiggr]> I have several !eu commands for looking up things in the archives:
<[Tiggr]> !eu help , you're reading this now. Please keep in mind there's a lot of misspelling in the archives. And neither will "interrupt" find "interrupts". Searches are case-insensitive.
<[Tiggr]> !eu search ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application, path, and file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu searchapp ~app ~text , this i look thru only thru the ~app's files for ~text, reporting each file to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu searchapps ~text , this i look thru the archives for ~text, reporting each application to a max of 2 irc lines, you can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu show ~file ~text , i will show you the first two lines in ~file where ~text is found. Use the path\filename i gave you in search. You can get more lines with "more".
<[Tiggr]> !eu more , if used within 2 minutes of your last search or show, i report 2 more irc lines of files or applications or lines, depending on what you searched or showed for.

Kat,
waiting to see how it's mis/used.

That looks really neat, Kat, 'tho I can't guess how to use, let alone misuse it. I just replied because, either fortuitously or deliberately, the reply auto-imposed line feeds for you. :)

dan

I added show and showline:
<[TiggrBot]> !eu show ~file ~text , i will show you the first two lines in ~file where ~text is found. Use the path\filename i gave you in search. You can get more lines with "more".
<[TiggrBot]> !eu showline ~file ~startline ~howmany , shows lines read from the ~file, starting at ~startline. If ~howmany isn't specified, one line will be read. If nothing is on the line, that will be mentioned too.

I also shortened the help to reduce screen coverage, so

!eu help

gives you the list of keywords, while

!eu help keyword

gives details in that word.

Kat

9. Re: contributor archive searches

Tiggr was asked to leave #Euphoria, so there's no archive search function anymore.

Kat

10. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat said...

Tiggr was asked to leave #Euphoria, so there's no archive search function anymore.

Kat

sad (grr) that would have been the best user guide ever for novice programmers, but even for more advanced ones.

i can consider opening a specific room in irc.freenode.net for that purpose, but it won't be on the air 24/7. Let me know what it would take to do that (my initial bet is: nothing) and if it would be useful. The purpose of the channel would be the archive searches only, so that they disturb and are disturbed by nothing.

Since there are dedicated users in time zones far apart, perhaps a shift systems could be used to keep the room open at almost all times?

CChris

11. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat said...

Kat

Tiggr was asked to stay. Please bring Tiggr back!

12. Re: contributor archive searches

CChris said...

sad (grr) that would have been the best user guide ever for novice programmers, but even for more advanced ones.

Agreed. That was becoming the most used command in the channel. It was extremely useful.

CChris said...

i can consider opening a specific room in irc.freenode.net for that purpose, but it won't be on the air 24/7.

There is a #tiggrbox channel, and it was possible to do searches in there until kat pulled the feature offline altogether.

CChris said...

The purpose of the channel would be the archive searches only, so that they disturb and are disturbed by nothing.

No one was disturbed or bothered by this. As I said it was one of the most useful features of the irc channel. I'm doing my best to get it back.

CChris said...

Since there are dedicated users in time zones far apart, perhaps a shift systems could be used to keep the room open at almost all times?

CChris

As a side note: it's possible to keep a channel open 24/7 on freenode even when the channel is otherwise empty.

13. Re: contributor archive searches

. 9:14:25pm 07/07/08 Monday [TiggrBot] left: requested by eubotmar2: "stop spamming me" .

[21:14] * uncmar snickers

[10:04] <euphoric> so who told tiggr to get lost?

[10:04] * euphoric looks at iamlost.

[10:04] * iamlost points to the topic

[10:05] <euphoric> knowing kat, i'm sure nobody said anything.

[10:05] <euphoric> is she useless-afk now?

[10:05] <iamlost> yes

[10:05] <euphoric> wow.

So CK, you're correct, no one said anything. They DID something. They took an active step to remove Tiggr from the channel, without saying anything to me about it.

I'll tell you what, Derek and Jim, i'll put Tiggr back in channel, with !eu search turned back on, but it's the last time, ok?

CChris, Tiggr wasn't offline, she was in #Tiggrbox, with !eu turned off. Which i felt bad enough about, considering someone had asked a search question using a two word phrase, and mirc won't handle that easily. It's why i'd rather code in Euphoria. But i am told my code is carp , so i don't want to subject you to that. I had wasted time coding the !eu search in mirc, someone had asked for more code be written, and then Tiggr was forceably removed from the channel, proving my efforts were a waste.

Kat

14. Re: contributor archive searches

Jim Brown said...

There is a #tiggrbox channel, and it was possible to do searches in there until kat pulled the feature offline altogether.

Gee, I never heard about it...

Jim Brown said...
CChris said...

The purpose of the channel would be the archive searches only, so that they disturb and are disturbed by nothing.

No one was disturbed or bothered by this. As I said it was one of the most useful features of the irc channel. I'm doing my best to get it back.

CChris said...

CChris

As a side note: it's possible to keep a channel open 24/7 on freenode even when the channel is otherwise empty.

[/quote]

Of course. But anybody can come in an unmoderated room and do any mischief. Like that "eubotmar2", for whom I suggest public spanking. That's why I thought other incidents might happen if/while the room was left unmoderated, and why I was suggesting there should be a moderatiir as much as possible.

CChris

15. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat said...

So CK, you're correct, no one said anything. They DID something. They took an active step to remove Tiggr from the channel, without saying anything to me about it.
snip
I had wasted time coding the !eu search in mirc, someone had asked for more code be written, and then Tiggr was forceably removed from the channel, proving my efforts were a waste.

Kat

Yes, tiggr was forcibly removed by an automated bot that is modelled after my own bot. It detected a swear word and did not issue any warnings before removal. That code had already been deactivated in my bot and is now deactivated in eubotmar2 as well.

I apologize for all the headaches that my code and clones thereof have and will likely cause. It is my intention to be helpful. Not harmful.

Unkmar

16. Re: contributor archive searches

Kat said...

CK, you're correct, no one said anything. They DID something. They took an active step to remove Tiggr from the channel, without saying anything to me about it.

Did she accidentally get kicked? How can anybody but the owner of Tiggr actively remove Tiggr?

What's the real story?

17. Re: contributor archive searches

Unkmar said...

Yes, tiggr was forcibly removed by an automated bot that is modelled after my own bot. It detected a swear word and did not issue any warnings before removal. That code had already been deactivated in my bot and is now deactivated in eubotmar2 as well.

I apologize for all the headaches that my code and clones thereof have and will likely cause. It is my intention to be helpful. Not harmful.

The truth emerges and, once again, Kat has simply played the pity-me-I'm-a-victim card when she never was a victim.

Unkmar, it's not your fault this brief dust-up has occurred. Kat could have simply seen it for what it was- a temporary error (although kicking for swear words isn't a bad idea)- instead of her usual: played it up so she could get some sympathy and attention. Just restart the bot!

Kat, get over yourself for the sake of the Euphoria community.

18. Re: contributor archive searches

euphoric said...
Unkmar said...

The truth emerges and, once again, Kat has simply played the pity-me-I'm-a-victim card when she never was a victim.

Unkmar, it's not your fault this brief dust-up has occurred. Kat could have simply seen it for what it was- a temporary error (although kicking for swear words isn't a bad idea)- instead of her usual: played it up so she could get some sympathy and attention. Just restart the bot!

Kat, get over yourself for the sake of the Euphoria community.

I didn't know why Tiggr was removed, until Unk posted in this forum, because he never told me on irc. Furthermore, i didn't recognise it as a swear word until it was pointed out here. The 'o' was simply dropped from the word "hello". It could have been a typo anyone could have made, and people have made previously.

As CK can't get over me, and he automatically chalks up any responce i make to some mental deficency without knowing the facts, i'll spare him my presence in #Euphoria.

Kat

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu