Re: Hypatia 3.0

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

Like me talking about cell phone in 1975,

jimcbrown said...

Luckily folks like Martin Cooper of Motorola were way ahead of you back on 1973/04/03.

katsmeow said...

Mobile radio transmission was frequently handed off between fixed land stations routinely with aircraft and ships,

Sounds more like a bigger beefier version of walkie talkies. This differs fromm what Martin Cooper did in 1973 (being able to successfully dial a number on a prototype mobile phone and have a conversation with someone on a landline).

katsmeow said...

but it was manual because the zoned land stations had no transparent cross links. No need to discuss that with you, of course.

Well, strictly not needed, but would be an interesting discussion to have, of course.

katsmeow said...

At any point since 1975, had you programmed a computer system to interact with humans as if it was human, and real humans were unsure if your system was human or not?

Kat

So .. 1975 or anytime after. Including right now, this very second, and even beyond (i.e. into the distant future).

So, yes then.

katsmeow said...

Were you .. in 1975?

Only if I could go and pull a Mary Sutton.

Still, interesting questions. I'll extend these to ask if *anyone* from that year fit the bill.

Mary Sutton said...

Did anyone have a cell phone in 1975?

Yes, at least in the prototype stages. See Martin Cooper above.

Mary Sutton said...

Was anyone driving an electric car in 1975?

Sadly not Andreas Flocken, who died in 1913, or more than two decades after inventing them. But the Enfield 8000, which came out in 1973, suggests that there were at least a couple of folks doing this in 1975.

Mary Sutton said...

Was anyone's sterio remote controlled in 1975?

Is stereo meant here?

If yes, then perhaps not. The first stereo proper with a remote control was B&O Beomaster 2400, but that came out in 1977, two years too late.

That said, if we can define this more broadly, say to include TVs and old fashioned radios, then the answer is almost certainly yes. The Philco Mystery Control was available back in 1939, and Robert Adler's Zenith Space Command was developed for televisions less than twenty years later, in 1956.

Mary Sutton said...

... programmed a computer system to interact with humans as if it was human ...

Was anyone giving this any thought in 1975?

Yes, definitely. Joseph Weizenbaum, who invented ELIZA back in the 1960s, would later publish a book called "Computer Power and Human Reason" in 1976.

Kenneth Colby also wrote a similar program, PARRY, in 1972 and this was almost certainly still an area of activity for him a meager three years later.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu