Re: I think I got Callbacks now?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...
katsmeow said...

On the other paw, what is OE/Phix doing to encourage writers and proofreaders to work on this problem?

Nothing anymore. At this point I've stopped asking for that and figured I'd just get to it when I get to it.

katsmeow said...

I mean, people who write docs, or term papers, or data sheets, , not people who admin their computer and are fluent in all the online archival and distributed software management systems.

But... this is a programming forum for a programming community for a particular programming language, so I would expect to find here mostly... programmers? I'm not pulling in people off the street. And most of us been here for a long time. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask programmers, regardless of their skill or experience or knowledge, to learn code versioning commands (git) or to sign up on a website (GitHub) or to run a few commands to execute some code (creole, eudoc, etc.).

I didn't need to know a ton of medical data to proof read my mom's master degree dissertation when i was in high school 50 years ago (the prof made a note in the margin about the style, spelling, and readability). Neither was i going to get a master's degree to qualify to correct her mistakes. The last 30 years i was intent on Ai code, not git, github, creole, etc etc. I take the same view of jumping thru hoops here as to jump hoops to qualify to correct wikipedia: no. Now, i post the error to the irc channel where 100 people idle, if they don't fix it, they must like it the way it is.

ghaberek said...
katsmeow said...

We've seen plenty of methods on how to make fixing mistakes or omissions impossible. Right now, if someone did donate fixes to the documentation, it would be refused! I mean, already this year, documentation fixes have been refused more than once!

This is patently false. Who's refusing things?

I take the same view of jumping thru hoops here as to jump hoops to qualify to correct wikipedia: no. No one pays me to find or report mistakes here, so this is not a goal of mine. You* have not made it easy to click a button and report the error, and you have said like only 2(?) people have credentials to make changes, and they won't come out until next version release anyhow, in the meantime the public-facing webpage is in error. We are different kinds of people, we do different things.

*"you" may include jimcbrown and others.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu