Re: A controversial topic

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

Those that didn't learn the empire fails, will form a new empire.

Exactly.

katsmeow said...

Those that don't learn programming language with X features will not progress in new and exciting ways,

What I meant could be summed up as below,

"Those that don't learn that programming the language with these X features will not be able to progress the language in new and exciting ways,"

Basically looking at languages that were more successful (Ruby, Python, Nim) and trying to learn from them.

katsmeow said...

will author another language just like all the rest. Tomorrow, another language will be formed, with the same X features,

I guess the issue here is one of catchup, who outside the community would take the language seriously if it's so far behind?

katsmeow said...

in an attempt to do something new different.

As it relates to OE, it was more about getting to baseline. Sure, OE has the potential to be different (arguably already is different), but also see above.

katsmeow said...

This is "heritage", and "common sense",

Actually, I feel like this is a statement that's either provable as fact or open to being disproved.

katsmeow said...

and anyone trying to change it is just looking for a fight and should be exterminated.

Not at all. For example, OE remains FOSS - if someone thinks they can do better, we don't try to stop them. (Thinking about Shian_Lee's OE 3.x continuation here.)

Alas, there's the practical matter of being hard to contribute to (C having such a high learning curve). I do have higher hopes for Phix, though.

katsmeow said...

I did very little to change mIRC, what i was referring to here was even mentioning i use the language to do tasks Eu could not do, and OE still cannot do.

Ah, gotcha. Yep, use the tool that works best. (Not worth pointing out that there are either workarounds or implementations for all the ones mentioned on this thread, albeit being nix-only in some cases.)

katsmeow said...

The biggest downside to mIRC is it can "expire" and require another payment to use again, essentially holding your existing code hostage

That's a pretty big downside, IMVHO.

katsmeow said...

(this funds ongoing development of the language)

Hmm. Considering what's happening to OE, when it's lacking those funds, suddenly this seems a lot more justifiable.

Though, counterpoints: Phix, Nim.

katsmeow said...

(same as all Tesla crashes may be caused by drunk drivers).

I think it's completely different. Money is one thing, but risking human life? Also, I'm aware of several Tesla crashes involving fatalities where alcohol was known not to be involved.

katsmeow said...

Please note, i am not singling out Tesla, i opened with the generic "self-driving cars".

Fair point, I just brought it up as that was the company mentioned in the article.

katsmeow said...

Then they shouldn't be telling me they do not like my IP address every time i try to fix something, or when i try to register to be a known authorised fixer.

That only happened to me when I was using public wifi at a library. Hmm, I wonder if there might be more going on behind the scenes... anyways, I digress.

katsmeow said...

It's like using the [Preview] button when replying to a post here, it works only if you've allowed ajax.google.com somewhere, because someone wanted it that way, so Google gets to know i posted a reply.

Agreed, that's why I pushed jeremy back in the day to allow preview to work without javascript. I just disable it and can safely preview without issue or fear.

katsmeow said...

That's called "CYA reporting", shedding liability, deflecting accusations.

Perhaps. But I can certainly understand reporters not wanting to jump the gun if the official investigation hasn't determined what happened yet.

jimcbrown said...

Died from injuries that happened in the wreck, while in the hospital, yes.

katsmeow said...

Died instantly on impact, passenger had to be cut out of the car.

Ah, less than stellar reporting then.

Because it's possible to be cut out of the car, alive, and then be taken to a hospital and die of your injuries there - that's why accurate reporting is so important, so we know which situation is which.

katsmeow said...

It didn't do anything useful, It was a cross between make-work and practice moving room-sized multi-ton electronics. Might have been a case of "Midway has a defect in their water distiller" too. Either way i was surprised by the size of a single-bit flipflop module using two 12AX7.

Fascinating - thank you for that bit of computer and US military history.

katsmeow said...

Well, goodie for the work. I was laughed at for thinking some cancers can be caused by viruses,

That's quite ridiculous, considering that this was known as early as 1911 - see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3501656/

katsmeow said...

for putting a motor and batteries in a VW in 1975, or that improved solar panels could be a great idea. that putting common access radio-telephone towers at various overlapping locations was a grand idea and i wasted my time building a demo on the handy 27Mhz channels and fleshing out a business model for it, etc etc.

I know it's not much consolation, but at least you are in good company? Reminds me of how Hedy Lamarr never saw a penny from her invention that now powers things like GPS and WiFi, https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/hedy-lamarr

katsmeow said...

that there was a future in computers,

Again, not much consolation, but better off than poor John von Neumann?

katsmeow said...

There was the fiascos of saying in 1972 that gasoline prices were going over a dollar per gallon,

Should have shorted gasoline and let the money do the talking for you. But hey, you know what they say about hindsight.

katsmeow said...

Did you know solar panels are extremely loud,

I thought they were super quiet. I wonder if these folks are getting confused with windmills.

katsmeow said...

and using them is amorally stealing electricity from the powerco (i am repeatedly told this shirt)?

Nope. I wonder if these folks got it backwards (with solar power homeowners getting paid in rebates from the powerco for putting surplus electricity back into the power grid).

katsmeow said...

It's like having "goto" or variable names as targets in a case statement!

As vigorous as these debates got here, I don't think they ever got that bad!

katsmeow said...

Is it right to have the brightest mind in the known universe housed in a metal box, with it having no control over anything, and being worked over by humans who are biologically incapable of understanding the simplest concepts?

Fortunately, I think those working directly on AI aren't the same ones who don't understand stuff like solar power.

katsmeow said...

After the crash, when several tanks were still heating up due to nearby external fires, they were breached to pour/vent thru the controlled-cut small orfice rather than dealing with an uncontrollable BLEVE. Previous BLEVE of oil tankers on railroads resulted in launching a tank car a mile away. In a totally uncontrolled manner. IIRC, there's a Youtube of Mythbusters (or similar org) causing a domestic water heater BLEVE.

Kat

katsmeow said...

Re burning the spill at railroad in Ohio: there were two events: 1) crash caused some tanks to rupture, fire ensued. 2) several tanks were intentionally breached to prevent multiple BLEVE events. That said, "controlled burns" are almost never controlled.

Kat

Thanks! With the right terminology, I was able to find sources that confirmed the above, e.g. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/we-shouldnt-need-body-bags-to-learn-from-ohios-train-disaster/2023/02/17/6f5cc346-aeb4-11ed-b0ba-9f4244c6e5da_story.html

katsmeow said...

Today, i live in poverty, unable to replace my 34 year old car, and fearful of deploying the 40 solar panels i keep in boxes inside.

You know what, I'm glad I met unkmar in this community to mentor me. He taught me the hardest lession - success in life often means being able to get other people to like you. I learned that before it was too late.

axtens_bruce said...

<snip>

katsmeow said...

I hope you had a better , , , err.. that didn't sound right, , , i hope you had a fine birthday celebration.

Seconded.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu