Re: A controversial topic

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
jimcbrown said...

Even if it's too late now to have a reconciliation over that, I feel it's still important to learn from it. Otherwise, it's like the maxim about history.

katsmeow said...

Sadly, it IS a repeated moment already. The maxim commemorates the many times those who had not learned have beaten down those who had a clue.

Hmm, I had always thought the maxim worked the other way around - those who fail to learn that the oppressed always defeat a dictatorship are doomed to have their empires fall. Reference: https://bigthink.com/culture-religion/those-who-do-not-learn-history-doomed-to-repeat-it-really/

Those that didn't learn the empire fails, will form a new empire. Those that don't learn programming language with X features will not progress in new and exciting ways, will author another language just like all the rest. Tomorrow, another language will be formed, with the same X features, in an attempt to do something new different. This is "heritage", and "common sense", and anyone trying to change it is just looking for a fight and should be exterminated.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

To make an already-too-long story short, i was ecstatic to find mIRC and Euphoria. As you know, i gave up years ago, and deleted megabytes of source code and data.

Somehow I'm not surprised that the author of mIRC wasn't interested in contributions to the client.

I did very little to change mIRC, what i was referring to here was even mentioning i use the language to do tasks Eu could not do, and OE still cannot do. The biggest downside to mIRC is it can "expire" and require another payment to use again, essentially holding your existing code hostage (this funds ongoing development of the language)(same as all Tesla crashes may be caused by drunk drivers). Please note, i am not singling out Tesla, i opened with the generic "self-driving cars".

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

I find spelling errors in Wikipedia too, and they don't - umm - care.

The general impression I get is that contributors don't want to be told about these mistakes, rather they want the finder to directly fix them in the articles.

Then they shouldn't be telling me they do not like my IP address every time i try to fix something, or when i try to register to be a known authorised fixer. It's like using the [Preview] button when replying to a post here, it works only if you've allowed ajax.google.com somewhere, because someone wanted it that way, so Google gets to know i posted a reply.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

auto-driving cars cannot keep up with minutiae at highways speeds. The programmers with no clue assign "open pavement" to any non-moving large expanse which wasn't previously labeled. The expanse is simply not examined at highway speeds. So, a parked fire truck or EMT van on the highway at the scene of an accident is perfectly suitable for driving 70mph on. Your mileage may vary.

Interested to learn more. Don't find any mention of this in the article, which seems to state that maybe it was the fault of the software (without the details that you provided) but also that the investigators aren't sure yet - apparently a case of drunk driving is also suspected.

That's called "CYA reporting", shedding liability, deflecting accusations.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

Side effect: the local news repeatedly said the driver was killed after the wreck.

Died from injuries that happened in the wreck, while in the hospital, yes.

Died instantly on impact, passenger had to be cut out of the car.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

Shortly, i found out a "local" military base had an ENIAC. If there was a fact/fiction book in the county on computers, programming, and Ai, i had read it before i was out of high school.

Quite impressive all around. Sidetracking a bit, but I wonder what kind of computer that base had - not the original ENIAC which was retired in 1955 at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, but probably something similar.

It didn't do anything useful, It was a cross between make-work and practice moving room-sized multi-ton electronics. Might have been a case of "Midway has a defect in their water distiller" too. Either way i was surprised by the size of a single-bit flipflop module using two 12AX7.

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

The clue i have now is: i am 66 years old, i am unwelcome. I wasted my life.

axtens_bruce said...

I am 62 (today!) and, yeah, in some places I'm unwelcome.

These sentiments remind me of Mozart, who likely thought he died a failure. I guess that can happen sometimes, when you're ahead of your time.

Well, goodie for the work. I was laughed at for putting a motor and batteries in a VW in 1975, for thinking some cancers can be caused by viruses, that there was a future in computers, that putting common access radio-telephone towers at various overlapping locations was a grand idea and i wasted my time building a demo on the handy 27Mhz channels and fleshing out a business model for it, etc etc. There was the fiascos of saying in 1972 that gasoline prices were going over a dollar per gallon, or that improved solar panels could be a great idea. Today, i live in poverty, unable to replace my 34 year old car, and fearful of deploying the 40 solar panels i keep in boxes inside. Did you know solar panels are extremely loud, and using them is amorally stealing electricity from the powerco (i am repeatedly told this shirt)? It's like having "goto" or variable names as targets in a case statement!

jimcbrown said...
katsmeow said...

The world doesn't want/deserve a real Ai.

axtens_bruce said...

The world will get the AI it deserves. It was probably an AI that suggested burning the vinyl chloride that spilled from the crashed rail tankers in East Palestine, Ohio.

I suspect Bruce is right here. (Sidetracking again, but I don't see any indication of a deliberate burn of vinyl clhoride in the Ohio derailment - it seems like the fires were just a result of the accidental crash.)

After the crash, when several tanks were still heating up due to nearby external fires, they were breached to pour/vent thru the controlled-cut small orfice rather than dealing with an uncontrollable BLEVE. Previous BLEVE of oil tankers on railroads resulted in launching a tank car a mile away. In a totally uncontrolled manner. IIRC, there's a Youtube of Mythbusters (or similar org) causing a domestic water heater BLEVE.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu