Re: Message-passing via local ports

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

It's possible, several people have done it, between programs, between languages and operating systems, between computers on a lan, and across the internet.

And in addition to OP, I'm another one who has done it.

katsmeow said...

There's rudimentary win and nix "chat" programs that exchange "data" in the archives from many years ago.

Good to know.

katsmeow said...

I submitted code to use socks connecting Eu to Mirc decades ago, both localhost and across the lan, and was roundly denounced.

That was before the gensis of the OE dev team, I believe. Today, you'd get a much more welcome reception, I guarantee.

katsmeow said...

If you are favorable to those "in charge", you will beome the deity of choice, else you will be ridiculed and forgotten. I don't even volunteer code any more (see irc.e , and the http.e-tasks-news.ex fiasco).

Speaking formally on behalf of both the dev team and the admin team, and also the moderator team, I can promise that no one will be ridiculed.

Speaking formally on behalf of the dev team, I can promise that any code that gets volunteered would be accepted today (albeit that the devs might make some modifications to make it look more similar to other parts of the stdlib and so on).

katsmeow said...

My "claim to fame" would be i hooked the type system to make sharing happen with only the one keyword. I used IPC, thinking it was faster, but i did no speed tests. I also was/am leery of the OS blocking on winsock calls in compiled OE, although this is not a problem running interpreted with tasks.e.

I would think you have much more than just this.

katsmeow said...

Good lucks to you.

Kat

Ditto.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu