Re: Iup Testsetup Win32

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

This creates circular thinking. Is IUP the "best" choice?

Interesting question.

_tom said...

If we could find a maintainer for wxWidgets would that work better?

This is the 2nd best question on the subject I've seen so far. Better than all the questions I've asked and here is why. In order to answer this question, you would also have answer the question "Why is wxWidgets better?"

_tom said...

Why dosen't everyone just use euGTK?

xecronix said...

GTK

Today, WEE + Glade offers the only cross-platform OpenEuphoria GUI, drag and drop IDE solution that I'm aware of. You can swap out WEE for your favorite text editor but, WEE does offer some OpenEuphoria features not found elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Windows users claim that it is difficult to get GTK to run. This sounds like a packaging and education problem to me but I'm not in a position that I can help out with these issues. Except to say, Dia and Geany both easily installed on Windows the last time I tried. Maybe things have changed since my Windows XP days some years ago.

I'm not sure that EuGTK actually has a hosted project repository. (like github, sourceforge, scm.openeuphoria.org, anything really). If that statement is true, I consider that a strike against GTK.

I think someone responded to this by saying that Windows users have problems with GTK3 and not GTK2 but I'm having trouble tracking that down. In anycase, I don't think the reasons everyone doesn't just use euGTK were explored much further.

_tom said...

When will REDY be finished?

And this is the single best question I've seen on the topic so far. There are a few possible answers. Here are some...

1. I haven't been able to locate a road map. So in it's absence I would have to say that it will be done when Ryan single handedly completes the task. Though I think I recall reading that Ryan is planning a December release but, I'm not researching that to double check my facts.
  2. The effort could be sped up if other members of the community helped via a organized effort.
  3. Software is almost never finished.

So that last possible answer is quite interesting. Maybe if the question was reworded a bit to say "When will Redy be able to do the things I wish it could do right now?" If you're asking when Redy will be ready, is it too presumptuous of me to assume that it's because other available solutions do not meet your needs/requirements? If that's the case, what are your needs/requirements? And how are the available solutions failing you?

Greg has put forth a lot of effort for the past 2 months coding a workable IUP solution. I don't see any reason to second guess the IUP decision unless it's somehow identified as being incapable of providing a solution that meet the goals of the community. Which as of now, no such determination has been made.

-xecronix

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu