Re: [OT] Microsoft takes .NET open source and cross-platform

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

Shian,

I am inclined to agree with you. An IDE that works like netbeans or Visual Studio would do wonders for newbie programmers. However, the problem is economics. The other developers did not want to include a GUI toolkit with Euphoria's installer. Personally, I would love to include several portable GUI libraries, maybe Java's Swing and QT and KDE. If we distribute a graphical IDE, we will have to distribute the GUI library it needs. The other devs didn't want the later, by the contrapositive they will not want the former.

I would love to see an IDE that can intelligently auto-complete and not only on a fixed list of routines but also the routines you have written as well. Also auto-predict what is in scope and not what is out of scope would be useful. These require something that is custom to Euphoria. Nobody has asked me to write a GUI.

There are major hurdles to overcome, try to use the GUI toolkits wrappers out there. I confess I haven't looked at them in years. They might be quite good now.

S. D. Pringle

A few of you may have tried FluidAE when I released it back in March. I have made much progress in the last 6 months on it. I have renamed it Redy. (See the Wiki page). Redy has a GUI written in 100% Euphoria code. That means all widget classes, and everything you see and interact with inside a window is drawn and managed by pure euphoria source code! Maybe that sounds kinda wild, like I'm reinventing the wheel. But, it has the advantage of not being forced to rely on C and C++ libraries to do everything, and it is completely customizable, since we have complete access to it's Euphoria source code.

I hope will be a very useful development environment for Euphoria. Although I haven't released it yet, I have been using it at work for several things, and it has proven to be very stable and efficient. It starts up quickly and runs smoothly on my ~8 year old office computer with a crappy video card and Windows Vista. I have fixed every graphics and performance bug (that I know of). It can run a program for several weeks continuously without any problems at all. The only reason I haven't released it yet is because it's lacking a few features as well as documentation and demo programs. I might be able to finish the first release by the end of the year.

Redy will include an IDE called RedyCode (See Wiki page). It will make use of Redy's "canvas" widget class to provide some powerful features such as syntax highlighting and context-sensitive help. It will probably not have many features in the first release, but it will provide an platform on which to build a powerful open-source IDE written in and for Euphoria.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu