Re: [OT] Microsoft takes .NET open source and cross-platform

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Shian,

I am inclined to agree with you. An IDE that works like netbeans or Visual Studio would do wonders for newbie programmers. However, the problem is economics. The other developers did not want to include a GUI toolkit with Euphoria's installer. Personally, I would love to include several portable GUI libraries, maybe Java's Swing and QT and KDE. If we distribute a graphical IDE, we will have to distribute the GUI library it needs. The other devs didn't want the later, by the contrapositive they will not want the former.

I would love to see an IDE that can intelligently auto-complete and not only on a fixed list of routines but also the routines you have written as well. Also auto-predict what is in scope and not what is out of scope would be useful. These require something that is custom to Euphoria. Nobody has asked me to write a GUI.

There are major hurdles to overcome, try to use the GUI toolkits wrappers out there. I confess I haven't looked at them in years. They might be quite good now.

S. D. Pringle

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu