Re: Eu website

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
useless said...

And i was told someone in channel, rather that not showing such join msgs in the channel window, asked that i be banned. In other words, the bot didn't do it. Modern irc clients can ignore the join msg sent from the server, or show in any other window besides the channel window. Mirc has had this feature since 1996. Instead, i was refused entry to the channel. It was the 3rd time this has happened, and shows me the tidiness of that someone's channel display, or their laziness in not clicking a setting to avoid showing the join/parts in the channel window, was worth more than me being in the channel.

I think you are mistaken. BTW, yes, modern clients can do that, but do you want everyone in the channel to have to configure their IRC client to ignore join messages? In addition, I find join messages very helpful, as does most people. How am I to know if someone joined the channel so I can say hello if I ignore join messages?

The correct response is what the IRC bot did, it banned the offending client. What that bot does is a very common practice in any IRC channel. Sure, there are a million other ways of handling it, but none as easy, neat, clean and effective, that's why everyone else does the exact same thing. If you've spent any amount of time on IRC, you've been banned for such actions as these. I've been banned and so have probably everyone else. It's not a bad thing! You just take it that way and you make everyone else think it's bad as well and it's not.

What if my web browser were to goof up and start submitting post after post after post in some sort of weird endless loop and this message shows up every seconds as a new post? Would you want the viewers of this website to configure their proxy to filter it out? Any modern proxy/filter could detect the subject and author and not pass it on to their web browser. That's the same as configuring an IRC client to ignore some action that shouldn't be happening.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu