Re: New forum layout

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
CChris said...

Unvisited links are usually shown in blue by the browser. So that's how Older/ Newer/ Thread view etc are displayed. Blue over clearer blue is definitely hard to read. Please use some other background color, say pale green or pale orange, but _not_ blue.

Can you give me an example? I am not an artistic person, I mustered all my artistic ability and then some to come up with this theme.

CChris said...

I think most of us read a post and then, when they reach the end, decide what to do - post, reply, next, see thread etc. So, having a button bar at the bottom is more useful than having it at the top. The former format with both top and bottom was very good, why removing the lower bar?

I removed it after looking through the first 20 pages of messages. There were very few messages that were long enough that the top bar was not in view. When I added the top bar in both the top and bottom positions (originally when I went to this theme), there were more areas for message information, navigation, replying, etc... then there was content. It was pretty overwhelming and not very helpful. On most threads there were 4-5 "tool bars" on the screen at one time. Very, very rarely was one the one attached to the message your reading not available.

Now, maybe it just needs to move to the bottom and remove the top one? It fit nicely in at the top though, that's why I opt'ed to keep the top, but I'm up for more discussion and your thoughts after what I said above.

CChris said...

Also, I think a "post new message", or "start new thread" button is necessary in message/thread view. You don't need to go to messahe list to start a new thread, do you?

Jason Glade said...

I also agree that "Create New Message" should be part of the message view.

Done.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu