1. Web Hosting Service Outage

Since about 10:45 PM EDT last night, our web hosting service has been experiencing a "minor service outage" which is affecting our DNS and email services.

I've got the website DNS records moved elsewhere temporarily but all openeuphoria.org email will be unavailable until the issue is resolved. I do not have an ETA at this time.

Edit: as was pointed out to me separately, this outage also includes the RDS website.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Web Hosting Service Outage

ghaberek said...

Since about 10:45 PM EDT last night, our web hosting service has been experiencing a "minor service outage" which is affecting our DNS and email services.

I've got the website DNS records moved elsewhere temporarily but all openeuphoria.org email will be unavailable until the issue is resolved. I do not have an ETA at this time.

Edit: as was pointed out to me separately, this outage also includes the RDS website.

-Greg

This is a bit unfortunate, other FOSS groups are starting to notice that usingeuphoria.com and rapideuphoria.com are gone now, e.g.

https://groups.google.com/g/vim_dev/c/4qyIKYMt4dw

At this point I'm wondering if Rob should just transfer you ownership of those domains outright.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Web Hosting Service Outage

jimcbrown said...

This is a bit unfortunate, other FOSS groups are starting to notice that usingeuphoria.com and rapideuphoria.com are gone now, e.g.

https://groups.google.com/g/vim_dev/c/4qyIKYMt4dw

At this point I'm wondering if Rob should just transfer you ownership of those domains outright.

I own usingeuphoria.com. I bought it from Chris (euphoric/cklester) several years ago. I also own openeuphoria.org. But yes, Rob still owns rapideuphoria.com.

Here's the rough timeline of events, minus exact dates and times. For context, we were running as a mix of two separate services at Hyper Expert:

1. cPanel "shared hosting" service at Hyper Expert, running usingeuphoria.com, rapideuphoria.com, and email/DNS for openeuphoria.org.

2. a Linux virtual private server (VPS), running the main "guts" of openeuphoria.org website on Apache and MariaDB (using euweb in CGI).

The shared hosting service crashed, I temporarily pivoted the DNS for openeuphoria.org to Hover, my domain registrar. That brought the site back online because its server was unaffected.

But I needed Rob to also pivot his DNS. I waited on reaching out right away because the shared hosting may have come back online if Hyper Expert could restore from backups. They could not.

I provisioned two new VPSes at Hyper Expert and started setting up an ISPConfig environment. One for control panel/email/primary DNS, the other for web/database/secondary DNS.

Then Hyper Expert announced their impending closure. I was mostly done building out the new environment but I couldn't move everything just to have it go down again soon.

So I built a couple more VPSes at DigitalOcean and migrated my ISPConfig environment there and the performed the migration last weekend. That pretty much leads us to today.

I'll say, this whole thing has been a total shitshow and I'm very unhappy with pretty much everything. Several things are still broken (email, mainly) and I will repair them as time allows.

But it also raises all sorts of concerns that I have been trying to get help on for a while. We need at least a few people to who can step in and be responsible for some specific things.

I can't be the language developer and systems engineer and devops engineer and website administrator and database administrator and project manager and so on and so on. It's exhausting.

-Greg

4. Re: Web Hosting Service Outage

ghaberek said...

I can't be the language developer and systems engineer and devops engineer and website administrator and database administrator and project manager and so on and so on. It's exhausting.

100%. Do NOT be anxious or let your health degrade. Better to let a thing go than have it drag you under.

But, I reiterate, THANK YOU for all you've done for Euphoria. Don't feel bad if you need to take a break! If there's someone to pick up the slack, then great. If not, at least the language will keep on working.

5. Re: Web Hosting Service Outage

ghaberek said...

Ditto. I would help out, but doubt I have the skill set needed. To be clear, I'm not at all interested in doing anything to Euphoria/"language developer", but were there any tedious things that help keep this site running and you actually/realistically could send me a private email along the lines of "here's an address/userid/password, have a gander, read this, and that, and t'other, DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING", I'd give it a go.

It almost embarrasses me that my own little website [not including changes by choice] needs on average less than half an hour of TLC a month to keep it going, and I glance across and see the staggeringly stupendous effort needed by this site and others such as rosettacode, exercism, highlightjs, codemirror, freegle, and indeed the xhosting site my very own relies on, just to keep it standing still. It's all just a totally different world to mine (be warned).

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu