1. Attempting to subscript an atom Error[SOLVED]

Hello all,

When trying to wrap the add-on functions for Allegro, I came across this error: Attempting to subscript an atom

I posted the code from where the error is coming from. Let me know if more code is needed. I am using the FFI.e I'm not sure why I would get that error as it just returning a boolean variable.

Wrapper code

include std/ffi.e 

include allegro.e 

export constant prim = open_dll("allegro_primitives-5.2"), --this needed to have .dll added to the end 

xal_get_allegro_primitives_version = define_c_func(prim,"al_get_allegro_primitives_version",{},C_UINT) --this was missing a "+" 

public function al_get_allegro_primitives_version() 
	return c_func(xal_get_allegro_primitives_version,{}) 
end function 

export constant xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{},C_BOOL), 
				xal_is_primitives_addon_initialized = define_c_func(prim,"+al_is_primitives_addon_initialized",{},C_BOOL), 
				xal_shutdown_primitives_addon = define_c_proc(prim,"+al_shutdown_primitives_addon",{}), 
				xal_draw_prim = define_c_func(prim,"+al_draw_prim",{C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_INT,C_INT,C_INT},C_INT), 
				xal_draw_indexed_prim = define_c_func(prim,"+al_draw_indexed_prim",{C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_INT,C_INT},C_INT), 
				xal_draw_vertex_buffer = define_c_func(prim,"+al_draw_vertex_buffer",{C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_INT,C_INT,C_INT},C_INT), 
				xal_draw_indexed_buffer = define_c_func(prim,"+al_draw_indexed_buffer",{C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_INT,C_INT,C_INT},C_INT) 

public function al_init_primitives_addon() 
	return c_func(xal_init_primitives_addon,{}) --error is coming from this line 
end function 

public function al_is_primitives_addon_initialized() 
	return c_func(xal_is_primitives_addon_initialized,{}) 
end function 

public procedure al_shutdown_primitives_addon() 
	c_proc(xal_shutdown_primitives_addon,{}) 
end procedure 

Demo program

--Simple Display Window demo 
--Draw primitive shapes 

include allegro.e 
include keycodes.e 
include std/ffi.e 

include primitives.e 

procedure main() 

atom x = al_install_system(ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT,0) 

atom a = al_init_primitives_addon() 

if x = -1 then 
 	puts(1,"Failed to init Allegro!\n") 
 	abort(0) 
 end if 

if a = -1 then 
 	puts(1,"Failed to init addon!\n") 
 	abort(0) 
 end if 

atom dis = al_create_display(800,600) 

if dis = -1 then 
 	puts(1,"Failed to create display!\n") 
 	abort(0) 
 end if 

al_set_window_title(dis,"Primitive Demo") 

sequence BLUE = al_map_rgb(0,0,255) 

al_draw_line(10,10,10,10,BLUE,10)  

al_flip_display() 

al_rest(5.0) 

al_destroy_display(dis) 

end procedure 

main() 

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error

Try

object x 

x = c_func(xal_init_primitives_addon,{}) --error is coming from this line  

return x 
end function  

and

export constant xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{},C_INT),  

and

object a = al_init_primitives_addon()  

Cheers

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error

ChrisB said...

Try

object x 

x = c_func(xal_init_primitives_addon,{}) --error is coming from this line  

return x 
end function  

and

export constant xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{},C_INT),  

and

object a = al_init_primitives_addon()  

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for trying to help Chris, but it didn't work. Same error came up.

4. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error

hmm,

bool al_init_primitives_addon(void)

returns a bool, doesn't want anything sending to it.

Try

export constant xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{C_INT},C_BOOL),  

return c_func(xal_init_primitives_addon, 0) --error is coming from this line  
end function  

Chris

5. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error

ChrisB said...

hmm,

bool al_init_primitives_addon(void)

returns a bool, doesn't want anything sending to it.

Try

export constant xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{C_INT},C_BOOL),  

return c_func(xal_init_primitives_addon, 0) --error is coming from this line  
end function  

Chris

Thanks Chris, but it doesn't work either. Maybe Greg can help.

6. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error

Icy_Viking said...
xal_get_allegro_primitives_version = define_c_func(prim,"al_get_allegro_primitives_version",{},C_UINT) 
         xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{},C_BOOL), 

Could it be that you don't want the + at all, or (less likely) the first is missing a +?
Also, have you checked that none of the xal_init_primitives_addon etc are getting set to -1?
And open_dll() isn't returning null - in my experience Windows is a bit fussy about not having ".dll" at the end of the name, but that might be a Phix thing.

7. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error

type xfn(atom x) -- type is your friend 
return x > -1 
end type 

export xfn  
  xal_init_primitives_addon = define_c_func(prim,"+al_init_primitives_addon",{},C_BOOL),              
  xal_is_primitives_addon_initialized = define_c_func(prim,"+al_is_primitives_addon_initialized",{},C_BOOL),  
  xal_shutdown_primitives_addon = define_c_proc(prim,"+al_shutdown_primitives_addon",{}),  
  xal_draw_prim = define_c_func(prim,"+al_draw_prim",{C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_POINTER,C_INT,C_INT,C_INT},C_INT) 

8. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error[SOLVED]

petelomax said...
Icy_Viking said...
xal_get_allegro_primitives_version = define_c_func(prim,"al_get_allegro_primitives_version",{},C_UINT) 

Could it be that you don't want the + at all, or (less likely) the first is missing a +?
Also, have you checked that none of the xal_init_primitives_addon etc are getting set to -1?
And open_dll() isn't returning null - in my experience Windows is a bit fussy about not having ".dll" at the end of the name, but that might be a Phix thing.

Thank you Pete. I forgot to add .dll when loading the library and the first function was missing the "+". The primitive demo now works.

--Simple Display Window demo 
--Draw primitive shapes 

include allegro.e 
include keycodes.e 
include std/ffi.e 

include primitives.e 

procedure main() 

atom x = al_install_system(ALLEGRO_VERSION_INT,0) 

atom a = al_init_primitives_addon() 

if x = -1 then 
 	puts(1,"Failed to init Allegro!\n") 
 	abort(0) 
 end if 

if a = -1 then 
 	puts(1,"Failed to init addon!\n") 
 	abort(0) 
 end if 

atom dis = al_create_display(800,600) 

if dis = -1 then 
 	puts(1,"Failed to create display!\n") 
 	abort(0) 
 end if 

al_set_window_title(dis,"Primitive Demo") 

sequence BLUE = al_map_rgb(0,0,255) 

al_draw_line(800 / 2,0,800,600,BLUE,0)  

al_flip_display() 

al_rest(5.0) 

al_destroy_display(dis) 

end procedure 

main() 

9. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error[SOLVED]

Icy_Viking said...

Thank you Pete. I forgot to add .dll when loading the library and the first function was missing the "+". The primitive demo now works.

Sorry I had a busy weekend so I wasn't able to reply in time. The problem here is simply that define_c_func() is returning -1 because it could not find the function name, and c_func() isn't checking the function ID correctly. I will get some more error-checking added soon to help with this.

petelomax said...

FYI for anyone reading along, and I'll make sure the documentation reflects this as well, the indication of STDCALL (no plus) or CDECL (with plus) calling convention only affects 32-bit Windows and nothing else and I encourage everyone to use 64-bit Euphoria if they are on a 64-bit platform (which they should be) where the plus is silently ignored.

petelomax said...

This is the core of the issue. I'm currently using negative function IDs in the wrappers for c_func/proc to avoid collision with the positive function IDs returned by the interpreter's own define_c_func/proc. I just need a few checks in there and then I'll call crash() if the ID is not valid, as the interpreter would do.

You can see the offending code and its lack of error checking here: https://github.com/ghaberek/libffi-euphoria/blob/main/include/std/ffi.e#L900

petelomax said...

I'm entertaining the idea of adding some library name guessing features to open_dll(), which would help avoid needing a bunch of ifdef PLATFORM then blocks or having a bunch of failed attempts to load libraries that don't exist.

So for libraries that have a common root name, you'd just call open_dll("foobar") and it would try foobar.dll, libfoobar.so, etc. based on the current platform.

-Greg

10. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error[SOLVED]

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

Sorry I had a busy weekend so I wasn't able to reply in time. The problem here is simply that define_c_func() is returning -1 because it could not find the function name, and c_func() isn't checking the function ID correctly. I will get some more error-checking added soon to help with this.

petelomax said...

FYI for anyone reading along, and I'll make sure the documentation reflects this as well, the indication of STDCALL (no plus) or CDECL (with plus) calling convention only affects 32-bit Windows and nothing else and I encourage everyone to use 64-bit Euphoria if they are on a 64-bit platform (which they should be) where the plus is silently ignored.

petelomax said...

This is the core of the issue. I'm currently using negative function IDs in the wrappers for c_func/proc to avoid collision with the positive function IDs returned by the interpreter's own define_c_func/proc. I just need a few checks in there and then I'll call crash() if the ID is not valid, as the interpreter would do.

You can see the offending code and its lack of error checking here: https://github.com/ghaberek/libffi-euphoria/blob/main/include/std/ffi.e#L900

petelomax said...

I'm entertaining the idea of adding some library name guessing features to open_dll(), which would help avoid needing a bunch of ifdef PLATFORM then blocks or having a bunch of failed attempts to load libraries that don't exist.

So for libraries that have a common root name, you'd just call open_dll("foobar") and it would try foobar.dll, libfoobar.so, etc. based on the current platform.

-Greg

Those are some cool features you have in plan, Greg. I do plan to start using the 64-bit versions of shared libraries(DLLs/SOs) eventually. I'm using the 32-bit version(s) for compatibility reasons. I guess I could do a platform check for the 32-bit or 64-bit version in the meantime.

11. Re: Attempting to subscript an atom Error[SOLVED]

Sorry, but I must say something: You all are fantastic!

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu