1. [rant] mi casa, su casa (or, make an iso with Phix installed for us)

Or in Spanish: mi casa es su casa.

The critical frustration in learning any programming language is getting it installed.

I have yet to find the secret sauce for installing IUP.

Here is the challenge for Phix. I would like to get a copy of your install. Here is how it could work:

• get Refracta Linux from www.ibiblio.org/refracta/
    • downloads are from SourceForge
    • refracta8.3_xfce an .iso of 700MB
    • 32 and 64 bit versions are available
    • dates to 2017 but gets the job done
  • Refracta runs from a USB stick (and in ram)
  • install Phix
    • I just copied the unzipped files to /home/user/bin
    • add p64
    • demos are easy to reach, and don't need privilages to run them
  • install IUP
    • I'm clueless here
  • run from the menu
    • system/refracta snapshot
    • result is a new copy of Refracta that includes Phix that anyone can run off their USB
  • upload to github so anyone can access

Exton has a 1GB Linux with this refracta feature — but I had trouble making new files. In theory, the refracta feature could be installed on any Linux system.

The result is the ultimate demo of Phix.

dito ... same should be done for OpenEuphoria.

be well

_tom

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: [rant] mi casa, su casa (or, make an iso with Phix installed for us)

_tom said...

The critical frustration in learning any programming language is getting it installed.

Installation should not be a barrier to anything. It is our responsibility as maintainers of projects to make getting started easy, especially when getting learning is often hard.

There may be steps involved and the user might have to do things but if a we cannot reproduce our own project on another machine and document/script/package that process, then we need to work through that first.

_tom said...

Here is the challenge for Phix. I would like to get a copy of your install.

This is not the way. There are conventions and standards for how to distribute software and make them available to others. Copying an entire system en masse is not one of them.

_tom said...
  • install IUP
    • I'm clueless here

IUP is awful for this and goes back to my previous point about responsibility. But it's not hard either, just tedious. What are you having trouble with, exactly?

_tom said...
  • run from the menu
    • system/refracta snapshot
    • result is a new copy of Refracta that includes Phix that anyone can run off their USB

You lost me at USB. Are you expecting someone to boot into an entirely new system just to learn Phix and/or Euphoria? That's absurd. Maybe into a virtual machine if they want to try another platform.

Here's a better challenge:

1. start with a fresh install of the operating system of your choice
  2. produce a list of steps to get where you want to be
  3. (optional) simplify steps through scripts or one-line commands
  4. repeat those steps on a new machine to verify everything works
  5. share the list of steps in your project README

The only steps you really need track are:

• what file(s) to download
  • what file(s) to extract
  • where to put those files
  • what settings to change
  • any dependencies to install

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: [rant] mi casa, su casa (or, make an iso with Phix installed for us)

ghaberek said...

Copying an entire system en masse is not one of them.

Here's a better challenge:
The only steps you really need

Correct. I've downloaded a copy of that refracra iso and plan to load it up in VirtualBox.
I'll then try installing IUP but this time take a few more notes, and try to write a setup script.
By rights, Phix should excel at this sort of thing, namely running various system commands, then checking for success and what it put where, and tidying up.
So the final planned addition w/should be that script, as opposed to a complete system.

UPDATE: So I got refracta running, with guestbox additions after some struggling, and a shared folder (ditto), and installed Phix, and took a snapshot, and rebooted...
Oh great, everything had just simply gone. Of course, it is one of those stupid "live iso" things. Totally and utterly useless, and I'm not wasting another second on it.

4. Re: [rant] mi casa, su casa (or, make an iso with Phix installed for us)

My idea was to use Refract (mx, extix, ... ) which boot from a USB stick. The trick is refracta lets you save the live changes to a snapshot, which can be burnt to a new USB stick, and then booted again. Refracta being the smallest choice that works on my ancient i0 netbook.

The purpose of VirtualBox is to let you test Windows on Linux. The nice thing is that Microsoft gives you an image https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/ to do this. Windows should never be installed as an OS on a computer. I'm grumpy, so I can have this opinion.

I'll try to install Phix/IUP on my netbook again. It's easy to create silly errors this way without messing up a proper installation.

be well

_tom

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu