Re: [rant] mi casa, su casa (or, make an iso with Phix installed for us)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
_tom said...

The critical frustration in learning any programming language is getting it installed.

Installation should not be a barrier to anything. It is our responsibility as maintainers of projects to make getting started easy, especially when getting learning is often hard.

There may be steps involved and the user might have to do things but if a we cannot reproduce our own project on another machine and document/script/package that process, then we need to work through that first.

_tom said...

Here is the challenge for Phix. I would like to get a copy of your install.

This is not the way. There are conventions and standards for how to distribute software and make them available to others. Copying an entire system en masse is not one of them.

_tom said...
  • install IUP
    • I'm clueless here

IUP is awful for this and goes back to my previous point about responsibility. But it's not hard either, just tedious. What are you having trouble with, exactly?

_tom said...
  • run from the menu
    • system/refracta snapshot
    • result is a new copy of Refracta that includes Phix that anyone can run off their USB

You lost me at USB. Are you expecting someone to boot into an entirely new system just to learn Phix and/or Euphoria? That's absurd. Maybe into a virtual machine if they want to try another platform.

Here's a better challenge:

1. start with a fresh install of the operating system of your choice
  2. produce a list of steps to get where you want to be
  3. (optional) simplify steps through scripts or one-line commands
  4. repeat those steps on a new machine to verify everything works
  5. share the list of steps in your project README

The only steps you really need track are:

• what file(s) to download
  • what file(s) to extract
  • where to put those files
  • what settings to change
  • any dependencies to install

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu