1. EuGTK 4.7.5 available

https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/Home

For anyone who's interested. If you aren't interested, download it anyway and look at the docs:)

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

irv said...

For anyone who's interested. If you aren't interested, download it anyway and look at the docs:)

Do you guys have wxWidgets 3.0 for GUI?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

Steady said...

Euphoria has lots of gui choices,

http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/viewStarting%20Euphoria%20Gui%20Programming.wc

wxWidgets is one of them.

4. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

irv said...

look at the docs:)

How did you create the documentation?

_tom

5. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

Steady said...
irv said...

I downloaded the source to look at it, but I haven't done anything with it.

Matt

6. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

mattlewis said...
Steady said...

I downloaded the source to look at it, but I haven't done anything with it.

I was working on a completely new rebuild of wxEuphoria built around 2.9.5, and then 3.0 came out, which should be mostly compatible. I've been using CodeLite to statically link the original wxWidgets libraries into my own wxEuphoria shared library/wrapper combo libraries. Unfortunately I have no time for these things lately. You're all welcome to help if you'd like.

-Greg

P.S. I hate thread-jacking. Sorry Irv!
Forked into: wxEuphoria with wxWidgets 3.0

7. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

There's no [News] button on the Eu page i am reading this on.

useless

8. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

useless_ said...

useless

Adding a [News] button to the top row of the webpage was just a suggestion. Doing major changes to this website is beyond my talent level.

I did add a news article to the [home] page since I just got editing privilages for that page.

Thanks Irv, EuGTK is a great addition to OpenEuphoria.

_tom

9. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

[quote _tom]

irv said...

look at the docs:)

How did you create the documentation?

_tom [/quote

With a text editor. Geany, mostly.

10. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

Does that mean you create the html code as you type?

I am interested in the process. The o[ way is to use eudoc, creole (get html), then optionally tex (get pdf).

_tom

11. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

_tom said...

I am interested in the process. The o[ way is to use eudoc, creole (get html), then optionally tex (get pdf).

_tom

Why go to all that trouble when it's easier and faster to just hit some keys?

Besides I have never liked the clutter that results when all those doc strings are included In the source code.

12. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

irv said...
_tom said...

My snarky response is that it's more difficult (and slower) to "just hit some keys" and be able to generate the documentation in multiple formats. The various formats are all supported by the makefile, so it's pretty trivial to regenerate once you have your system configured. There's a lot less typing, since a lot of the boilerplate stuff is handled by the generation process, which results in improved consistency (for me, at least).

irv said...

Besides I have never liked the clutter that results when all those doc strings are included In the source code.

To each his own. I find this easier, as the code and the documentation are all in one place. I'm more likely to update the documentation as I go, and more likely to notice when they get out of sync. I can also use the documentation that's right there in the code when that's more convenient than having it open in a browser or whatever.

Matt

13. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

mattlewis said...
irv said...
_tom said...

My snarky response is that it's more difficult (and slower) to "just hit some keys" and be able to generate the documentation in multiple formats.

I don't know about that. These days, it's pretty easy to convert from HTML to anything else. Especially if it's the clean, handwritten HTML that an experienced coder like irv would produce.

mattlewis said...

The various formats are all supported by the makefile, so it's pretty trivial to regenerate once you have your system configured.

Agreed. But getting the system configured properly is typically the hard part. (See _tom's post about tex.)

mattlewis said...

There's a lot less typing, since a lot of the boilerplate stuff is handled by the generation process, which results in improved consistency (for me, at least).

Agreed. But OTOH a good text editor probably supports templates and macros, which can go quite far in dealing with boilerplate stuff as well.

mattlewis said...
irv said...

To each his own. I find this easier, as the code and the documentation are all in one place.

I can also use the documentation that's right there in the code when that's more convenient than having it open in a browser or whatever.

If the only docs can't be opened with a text editor or a text-only web browser, I typically won't use them at all.

That said, I can work equally well when the docs are in code comments or in an external file. I open the source file twice in the former case, once in an editor to code and once in a text viewer simply to get at the docs.

mattlewis said...

I'm more likely to update the documentation as I go, and more likely to notice when they get out of sync.

Matt

This is the part that I've never quite gotten a handle on, myself.... ;)

14. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...
irv said...
_tom said...

My snarky response is that it's more difficult (and slower) to "just hit some keys" and be able to generate the documentation in multiple formats.

I don't know about that. These days, it's pretty easy to convert from HTML to anything else. Especially if it's the clean, handwritten HTML that an experienced coder like irv would produce.

Then you're not "just hitting keys" any more. You're using external tools, too. And since the documentation markup I use has less overhead than html, I have to hit a lot fewer keys, so I still win! grin

Matt

15. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...

The various formats are all supported by the makefile, so it's pretty trivial to regenerate once you have your system configured.

Agreed. But getting the system configured properly is typically the hard part. (See _tom's post about tex.)

I think this is overblown. It's a large download, but the previous problems were actually errors (I think in the documentation source itself, not the tools, but I can't recall exactly, and I'm not motivated enough to go back and look), not configuration issues. I'll grant that a pdftex install capable of generating the euphoria docs requires a bit more work than some other tools, but I think it also produces superior output, and I'm fine with that.

Matt

16. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

Seem to me that the best way would be to devise a way to 'embed' and hide real HTML in the source, with only a link showing at the function declaration.

I believe most modern text editors could be made to recognize these (like Geany does when you highlight a GtkWidget name In your code)

Perhaps put the HTML at the end of each file, and hide it from the interpreter with an ifdef?

17. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

mattlewis said...
jimcbrown said...
mattlewis said...

Then you're not "just hitting keys" any more. You're using external tools, too.

That's a good argument.

mattlewis said...

And since the documentation markup I use has less overhead than html, I have to hit a lot fewer keys, so I still win! grin

Matt

If you are typing all of

-- == Pipe Input and Output 
-- 
-- <<LEVELTOC level=2 depth=4>> 
-- 
-- === Notes 
-- Due to a bug, Euphoria does not handle ##STDERR## properly. 
-- ##STDERR## cannot captured for Euphoria programs (other programs will work fu 
lly) 
-- The IO functions currently work with file handles, a future version might wra 
p them in streams 
-- so that they can be used directly alongside other file/socket/other-streams w 
ith a 
-- ##stream_select## function. 
-- 

by hand, then no, using a text editor with good macros is A LOT fewer keys.

(Of course, one can use macros with any text markup format.)

18. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

_tom said...
useless_ said...

useless

Adding a [News] button to the top row of the webpage was just a suggestion. Doing major changes to this website is beyond my talent level.

I did add a news article to the [home] page since I just got editing privilages for that page.

_tom

Perhaps you can also fix the website's help system. The front page of openeuphoria.org has a code snippet involving the use of "case", but like almost every other reserved word, if you type in "case" to the Search box, you get nothing back. "Case" is not found. There's no data on it. It's not in the Euphoria manual. I have mentioned this before.

useless
Forked into: Case statement in manual

19. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

Having documentation embedded in the source code is ok (even if it gets in the way sometimes).

But two questions remain: How do you include images in the docs? You can hardly expect to document a GUI without showing some pix. And where is the appropriate place to put the documentation on the full package, not just those for a particular function? As far as I can tell, the docs included with EuGTK include almost NO function documentation at all.

This is for two reasons: first of all, the docs supplied by gtk.org take care of that, no need for me to repeat their work. Second of all, mine weren't intended to explain how the different functions work, they were designed to illustrate how to use EuGTK.

IOW, embedding doc strings in source code is fine as far as it goes, but doesn't begin to provide a full solution.

20. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

irv said...

Having documentation embedded in the source code is ok (even if it gets in the way sometimes).

As far as I can tell, the docs included with EuGTK include almost NO function documentation at all.

This is for two reasons: first of all, the docs supplied by gtk.org take care of that, no need for me to repeat their work. Second of all, mine weren't intended to explain how the different functions work, they were designed to illustrate how to use EuGTK.

I think this makes a lot of sense. Of course, this is kind of a special case (a language-specific wrapper for an already documented library). (Ok, a very common special case.) However, this rationale wouldn't apply to the doc writers for Euphoria's standard library, for example.

irv said...

But two questions remain: How do you include images in the docs? You can hardly expect to document a GUI without showing some pix.

Agreed. Although, including images as part of function documentation is kind of unusual.

irv said...

And where is the appropriate place to put the documentation on the full package, not just those for a particular function?

IOW, embedding doc strings in source code is fine as far as it goes, but doesn't begin to provide a full solution.

Agreed. For the standard library, we have special text files, such as the entirely hand-generated release notes and the entirely hand-generated introduction/beginners docs (some of which are derived from the original refman doc). eudoc is told, in addition to looking at the include files that make up the standard library, to look at these text files as well, and to generate the documentation from them.

I think that the markup language that eudoc uses has some support for images, as it's also told where to look for the original graphics files so it can embed them in the HTML version.

21. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

I'll look over the euGTK docs and try to create some sample pages.

The ultimate would be to have the O[ docs and euGTK docs have a uniform presentation.

_tom

22. Re: EuGTK 4.7.5 available

Here is the link to my "demo" eugtk docs:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wfRhusHmUbZU9IU3hMcWJGNzA/edit?usp=sharing

At the moment:

• just minimal editing
  • the links do not work (too much effort so far)
  • the .html files assume they are in the original eugtk .../documentation directory (so links to the images work)

There is an opera saved .mht version included that has embedded images. (see foo.mht )

Some minimal editing of the GtkEngine.e provides a list of routines. (see GtkEngine_e.html )

Advantages:

• consistent with O[ docs
  • easier to maintain
  • merging O[ and ~euGTK docs into one universal document is easy

If you adopt this style then I (and others) can contribute to the euGTK docs.

_tom

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu