1. usingEuphoria and The Archive

Forked from Greg's site

useless_ said...
ghaberek said...
useless_ said...

Can i ask again, like elevating this to a trouble ticket, that all archive submissions be intact standalone code, with all includes, able to run on a bare new install of Euphoria? This scenario happens often, and more often than people take the time to ask about it on this forum. I'll bet most people new to Euphoria run into this issue and just leave.

While I agree entirely with your suggestion, I must point out that:

1. this isn't really helpful to the OP's questions

2. this really is a point to be brought up with Rob Craig since that is still his site

Now, I would suggest that this site maintain its own archive of sorts, but I won't, because I would actually like to maintain my own code repository on my recently adopted site that is still under development. -Greg

While I agree entirely with your suggestion, I must point out that:

1. this isn't really helpful to the OP's questions
  2. I need a password to log into it
  1. You're right! I really should have forked that conversation right then and there.

2. As I said, it's "still under development" so it's locked down until it's ready. I am still working on writing at least a dozen or so articles before I turn the new site loose on the world. There's no point in having an empty site and then expecting people to contribute. I also want to make sure I express my intentions for the site very clearly right away.
useless_ said...

What does it mean:

0 - DateTime::__construct(): Failed to parse time string (jerror) at position 0 (j): The timezone could not be found in the database 

I got that the other day. I did not have the timezone set correctly on my server. It should be corrected now.

I think we all agree that The Archive is certainly in need of a clean-up. But I also feel that our times have changed and that a simple "upload your file here" archive is no longer necessary or relevant. I think that in an effort to drive more people towards Euphoria, we should provide a more detailed and forward-facing approach.

To that effect, I have recently adopted usingEuphoria.com from C. K. Lester (euphoric) and I am rebuilding it into an article-based site (a multi-user blog, really) where anyone can sign up to write articles and upload attachments. The best comparative example I can come up with is that it's like CodeProject for Euphoria.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

ghaberek said...

To that effect, I have recently adopted usingEuphoria.com from C. K. Lester (euphoric) and I am rebuilding it into an article-based site (a multi-user blog, really) where anyone can sign up to write articles and upload attachments. The best comparative example I can come up with is that it's like CodeProject for Euphoria.

-Greg

So that is where i should have put the five news.ex mini-tutes which were rejected here (if there in this format existed years ago)?

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

useless_ said...

So that is where i should have put the five news.ex mini-tutes which were rejected here (if there in this format existed years ago)?

Certainly. You could even write a series of articles covering such topics! smile

I think there is a lot of good information floating around in the Euphoria community, and we are all best served by sharing it in a more formal manner. The forum, for instance, is a great resource for discussion. But once informational posts get pushed further down the list, they become out-of-sight/out-of-mind and are practically lost forever.

Another immediate example I can show for articles that could be written are Ken Rhodes' edx and EuGeany extensions.

-Greg

4. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

So would a searchable archive of sorts be part of the site?

Because that's what we really need. I think it would be nice to have it as part of the OpenEuphoria site, but an external site would be fine.

Would the article section be like a Wiki or more like a Blog?

5. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

jaygade said...

So would a searchable archive of sorts be part of the site? Because that's what we really need.

There is already a search function built into the site (I'm using Joomla 3).

jaygade said...

I think it would be nice to have it as part of the OpenEuphoria site, but an external site would be fine.

While I want to agree that such a thing could be part of this site, I also think that we need to continue expanding Euphoria's presence on the Internet. We need to build a community of communities, if you will.

jaygade said...

Would the article section be like a Wiki or more like a Blog?

It will be somewhere in between. Anyone can sign up and write articles complete with attachments, embedded images, and syntax-highlighted code. Articles will then have to be published, which will require someone (probably myself and a few others) to proofread and examine the content before it hits the site. I'll also be posting news and other articles periodically.

One feature I'm looking forward to is periodic "code reviews" where I'll download something from The Archive and write a review on how it works, how well it's written, how easy it was to use, etc. That series alone ought to drive some relatively frequent content. I'm also thinking about a "Euphoria face-off" series.

-Greg

6. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

ghaberek said...

It will be somewhere in between. Anyone can sign up and write articles complete with attachments, embedded images, and syntax-highlighted code. Articles will then have to be published, which will require someone (probably myself and a few others) to proofread and examine the content before it hits the site. I'll also be posting news and other articles periodically.

One feature I'm looking forward to is periodic "code reviews" where I'll download something from The Archive and write a review on how it works, how well it's written, how easy it was to use, etc. That series alone ought to drive some relatively frequent content. I'm also thinking about a "Euphoria face-off" series.

-Greg

That actually sounds pretty cool, although I can already foresee some level of Internet butthurt because of it.

7. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

jaygade said...

That actually sounds pretty cool, although I can already foresee some level of Internet butthurt because of it.

Well, I don't plan on doing any scathing reviews. I doubt it will come to that. smile

-Greg

8. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

ghaberek said...
jaygade said...

Well, I don't plan on doing any scathing reviews. I doubt it will come to that. smile

-Greg

Well, hmm, i sent ghaberek an email, and got nothing back, so that's off to a good start. getlost

useless

9. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

useless_ said...
ghaberek said...
jaygade said...

-Greg

Well, hmm, i sent ghaberek an email, and got nothing back, so that's off to a good start. getlost

useless

It takes me days to respond to e-mail, nothing out of the ordinary there. Just ask C.K. or Matt. blink

-Greg

10. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

ghaberek said...
useless_ said...
ghaberek said...
jaygade said...

-Greg

useless

It takes me days to respond to e-mail, nothing out of the ordinary there. Just ask C.K. or Matt. blink

-Greg

It's been a week now, i think i'll save any more effort, waiting, and hope, and just delete the code.

useless

11. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

eukat said...
ghaberek said...
eukat said...
ghaberek said...
jaygade said...

-Greg

eukat

-Greg

It's been a week now, i think i'll save any more effort, waiting, and hope, and just delete the code.

eukat

In my experience, the days could easily add up to a few weeks or perhaps a month, especially during a busy season. Just wanted to point out that there is reason to avoid abandoning all hope.

12. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

useless_ said...

Excuse me? I don't recall ever providing a specific timeframe, and I especially don't recall ever owing you anything. It's not like I have a life, work, house, significant other, friends, family, hobbies, and chores (and did I mention work?) that all happen in-and-around Euphoria, programming, and everything else on the Internet in general. So yes, please... delete what you've made and abandon all hope, because if this is the attitude you're going to have then I certainly don't want you contributing to my projects. This is exactly the kind of defeatist attitude you have that serves nothing more than to create more trouble for yourself. And frankly you need to get over it. We're not out to get you. We're not here to make your life miserable. You do a good enough job of that all on your own.

jimcbrown said...

In my experience, the days could easily add up to a few weeks or perhaps a month, especially during a busy season. Just wanted to point out that there is reason to avoid abandoning all hope.

This couldn't be more true, thank you.

-Greg

13. Re: usingEuphoria and The Archive

ghaberek said...
useless_ said...

Excuse me? I don't recall ever providing a specific timeframe, and I especially don't recall ever owing you anything. It's not like I have a life, work, house, significant other, friends, family, hobbies, and chores (and did I mention work?) that all happen in-and-around Euphoria, programming, and everything else on the Internet in general. So yes, please... delete what you've made and abandon all hope, because if this is the attitude you're going to have then I certainly don't want you contributing to my projects. This is exactly the kind of defeatist attitude you have that serves nothing more than to create more trouble for yourself. And frankly you need to get over it. We're not out to get you. We're not here to make your life miserable. You do a good enough job of that all on your own.

It's like the hostage scene from Blazing Saddles:

New Developer said...

Everybody praise me or the code gets it!

Matt

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu