1. Colored Euphoria editor

Anyone have any editor suggestions for euphoria 4.04.

Besides ed...

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

Editors is a list of them along with syntax highlighting.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

There are some good editors for Euphoria. However Euphoria is really lacking from a good IDE/Editor. I know it has been said many times before, but I think Euphoria could really benefit from a full-featured IDE. I realize it takes time and man-power, but it would be really helpful.

4. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

Lone_EverGreen_Ranger said...

There are some good editors for Euphoria. However Euphoria is really lacking from a good IDE/Editor. I know it has been said many times before, but I think Euphoria could really benefit from a full-featured IDE. I realize it takes time and man-power, but it would be really helpful.

What would you want the IDE to do for you?

Jeremy

5. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

jeremy said...

What would you want the IDE to do for you?

Jeremy

Edit with Syntax Coloring, starting the program, giving help on demand ... (btw. EDITA is not this bad, (i use it all the time, besides Notepad++) ) having it in the standard installation would be a big improvement)

Andreas

6. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

With the text mate bundle you have syntax highlighting, keyword expansion, many expandable triggers for control structures, functions, procedures, etc..., proper automatic indentation, testing if your syntax is correct or if there is an error in it and you can run the program directly from text mate. It would be very easy to add help as well using our online help system.

I am guessing that you can do this with most configurable editors. There is the e Text Editor which is an editor for Windows that uses text mate bundles. I have not tested the bundle on it, though. It is commercial software.

With Emacs or Vim you could do all of the above as well. MicroEmacs and Minimum Profit would be two other editors that could be extended like this as well w/not too much work.

Jeremy

7. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

A Euphoria IDE that is similar to Visual Studio would be great. I know that would take a lot of work, but it would be nice.

8. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

I'd like an IDE that recognizes all the funcs/procs in all the include files I'm using.

I've always just used an editor, but I've been using a simple IDE lately (for another language) and this is a neat feature. Plus, one that pulls up function definitions as you type them in. That's nice.

9. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

Geany is a fantastic IDE Editor, highly configurable.

It has a wonderful feature - autocompletion of any previous words in the current document referencing any other document currently open.

Also, with one keypress, you can send the current "word" to the openeuphoria.org manual's search function.

Much more info here:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/116755.wc#116755

10. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

euphoric said...

I'd like an IDE that recognizes all the funcs/procs in all the include files I'm using.

I've always just used an editor, but I've been using a simple IDE lately (for another language) and this is a neat feature. Plus, one that pulls up function definitions as you type them in. That's nice.

In the editors repo there is a ctags module for euphoria. So, any editor that supports ctags would have access to function/procedure/type completion of all includes.

Jeremy

11. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

K_D_R said...

Geany is a fantastic IDE Editor, highly configurable.

It has a wonderful feature - autocompletion of any previous words in the current document referencing any other document currently open.

Also, with one keypress, you can send the current "word" to the openeuphoria.org manual's search function.

Much more info here:

http://openeuphoria.org/forum/116755.wc#116755

I noticed config files for Geany are not in the editors scm. Would you want to place them in and keep them up to date? I can give you access to the editors repo: http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/editors/file/1197106848bf

It would be nice to have it listed on the Editors wiki page as well.

Jeremy

12. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

A Euphoria IDE that is similar to Visual Studio would be great. I know that would take a lot of work, but it would be nice.

I have been musing about this myself for some time now. So far I have come up with this roadmap to make it happen:

1. Standardize on a single GUI toolkit for the IDE (probably wxEuphoria)

2. Bring that toolkit up to a "complete and stable" status (i.e. match the lastest stable/dev release on a feature-for-feature basis)

3. Build a simple IDE framework onto which other modules can be loaded

4. Write modules to extend/enhance IDE until it becomes "complete"

5. Continue extending with more "extension" modules

Step #2 can probably be done in parallel with the development itself, adding and updating features as they are needed to make the IDE work. However, when the IDE itself is released as "stable", the toolkit should be as well, otherwise it could be crippling.

Modules and features required by this new IDE:

Code editor

• syntax highlighting
  • code completion or "Intellisense"
  • code folding, auto-indent, etc.
  • display code errors on-the-fly

Forms designer

• drag-and-drop toolbox
  • modular control support (design-time drawing, property editors, event handlers)
  • support for "virtual" design features (e.g. sizers and non-visual components)

Project management

• new project wizard and templates
  • solution/workspace management (document tree, etc.)
  • build configurations (run/bind/compile, debug/release)

Runtime support

• display errors/output during execution
  • automatically jump to last error on exit
  • integrate with tracing for step-in/out/over

I am totally willing to work on and/or lead this project, especially if I have some helpful volunteers. smile

-Greg
Forked into: The Euphoria IDE Project

13. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

ghaberek said...

I am totally willing to work on and/or lead this project, especially if I have some helpful volunteers. smile

I'm willing to help in ways I can.

14. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

I suppose we could lighten the workload by simply including a free editor with everything preconfigured in the euphoria install. Ctag modules and all...

15. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

Fendaril said...

I suppose we could lighten the workload by simply including a free editor with everything preconfigured in the euphoria install. Ctag modules and all...

My hope is that we'll have an all-in-one installation package to quickly get people up-and-running with a strongly-featured and modern Euphoria IDE. smile

-Greg

16. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

jeremy said...

I noticed config files for Geany are not in the editors scm. Would you want to place them in and keep them up to date? I can give you access to the editors repo: http://scm.openeuphoria.org/hg/editors/file/1197106848bf

It would be nice to have it listed on the Editors wiki page as well.

Jeremy

I noticed that Geany has now been added to: http://openeuphoria.org/wiki/view/Editors.wc

I believe that I now have time to devote to maintaining and improving configuration files for Geany, if your offer still stands. My efforts are a bit of a kludge, to say the least - as far as I can tell, one of the existing configuration files for a language supported by the editor must be edited to support you euphoria. I think it would take a programmer proficient in C or C++ to add Euphoria support directly to the Geany source code. Basically, one of the Euphoria Developer's (or someone of that skill level) would have to contribute directly to the Geany source code.

Regards, Kenneth Rhodes

17. Re: Colored Euphoria editor

ghaberek said...

I have been musing about this myself for some time now. So far I have come up with this roadmap to make it happen:

1. Standardize on a single GUI toolkit for the IDE (probably wxEuphoria)

2. Bring that toolkit up to a "complete and stable" status (i.e. match the lastest stable/dev release on a feature-for-feature basis)

3. Build a simple IDE framework onto which other modules can be loaded

4. Write modules to extend/enhance IDE until it becomes "complete"

5. Continue extending with more "extension" modules

Step #2 can probably be done in parallel with the development itself, adding and updating features as they are needed to make the IDE work. However, when the IDE itself is released as "stable", the toolkit should be as well, otherwise it could be crippling.

Modules and features required by this new IDE:

Code editor

• syntax highlighting
  • code completion or "Intellisense"
  • code folding, auto-indent, etc.
  • display code errors on-the-fly

Forms designer

• drag-and-drop toolbox
  • modular control support (design-time drawing, property editors, event handlers)
  • support for "virtual" design features (e.g. sizers and non-visual components)

Project management

• new project wizard and templates
  • solution/workspace management (document tree, etc.)
  • build configurations (run/bind/compile, debug/release)

Runtime support

• display errors/output during execution
  • automatically jump to last error on exit
  • integrate with tracing for step-in/out/over

-Greg
Forked into: The Euphoria IDE Project

I'd be happy to help with a project like this.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu