Re: Colored Euphoria editor

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Lone_EverGreen_Ranger said...

A Euphoria IDE that is similar to Visual Studio would be great. I know that would take a lot of work, but it would be nice.

I have been musing about this myself for some time now. So far I have come up with this roadmap to make it happen:

1. Standardize on a single GUI toolkit for the IDE (probably wxEuphoria)

2. Bring that toolkit up to a "complete and stable" status (i.e. match the lastest stable/dev release on a feature-for-feature basis)

3. Build a simple IDE framework onto which other modules can be loaded

4. Write modules to extend/enhance IDE until it becomes "complete"

5. Continue extending with more "extension" modules

Step #2 can probably be done in parallel with the development itself, adding and updating features as they are needed to make the IDE work. However, when the IDE itself is released as "stable", the toolkit should be as well, otherwise it could be crippling.

Modules and features required by this new IDE:

Code editor

• syntax highlighting
  • code completion or "Intellisense"
  • code folding, auto-indent, etc.
  • display code errors on-the-fly

Forms designer

• drag-and-drop toolbox
  • modular control support (design-time drawing, property editors, event handlers)
  • support for "virtual" design features (e.g. sizers and non-visual components)

Project management

• new project wizard and templates
  • solution/workspace management (document tree, etc.)
  • build configurations (run/bind/compile, debug/release)

Runtime support

• display errors/output during execution
  • automatically jump to last error on exit
  • integrate with tracing for step-in/out/over

I am totally willing to work on and/or lead this project, especially if I have some helpful volunteers. smile

-Greg
Forked into: The Euphoria IDE Project

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu