1. beginning euphoria through game programming

was just wondering if another dimension could be brought in to learning this wonderful language.i have seen books like this on other languages and i have to say not only is it catchy but it stirs up the excitement to want to learn the language as you know there are people who would love to write their own games either for fun or otherwise.it also will teach how to practically apply what you learn in solving a problem like writing games and can transfer the knowledge to other areas.it is one thing to know a language syntax and another to use it for something useful.a book like this would get one up and running so fast cos he or she is already learning how to apply this things in reallife.its just an idea that came to me having seen books on C# game programming and C++ game programming.let us expand further and be even more flexible by having more manuals with different approach.game programming can be fun and exciting.like i said its an idea.imagine a newbie who wants to write games and sees the book.its gonna catch him or her.what do you guys think.at least give it a thought.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: beginning euphoria through game programming

Hi

Try http://www.atariarchives.org/ and http://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/ for some easy programs to convert.

I agree that learning game programming is the best way to learn programming from scratch, and the atari archives contain some excellent short programs to convert.

I suggest you concentrate on programming technique first, before even thinking about graphics.

Also, I suggest that you capitalise and paragraph your posts - it makes it much easier for us 'oldies' to read than the phone text language of today's yoof!

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: beginning euphoria through game programming

One of the problems with game programs is that games are interesting to beginners, who, being beginners, don't understand that they've made a bad choice.

Experienced programmers who could whip out a new word-processor before morning coffee pale at the thought of having to write a real game. IOW, it's hard!

If you are the kind of person who never gets frustrated, no matter how badly things go, writing a game is certainly going to be good training. Most people will just decide that "programming is too hard" and give up.

What you really need is knowledge in other areas that you can eventually combine and apply to writing games.

4. Re: beginning euphoria through game programming

irv said...

One of the problems with game programs is that games are interesting to beginners, who, being beginners, don't understand that they've made a bad choice.

Experienced programmers who could whip out a new word-processor before morning coffee pale at the thought of having to write a real game. IOW, it's hard!

If you are the kind of person who never gets frustrated, no matter how badly things go, writing a game is certainly going to be good training. Most people will just decide that "programming is too hard" and give up.

What you really need is knowledge in other areas that you can eventually combine and apply to writing games.

I started programming by game programming. I have to say it is not the best route to go. It is much better to write small apps and programs while you are just starting. If I had done that instead of trying to focus and learn everything about game programming, I would have been a much better programmer. Of course now, I'm a lot better then I was when I started. Though I wonder how much better I could have been if I had not started with game programming. Though you will pick many things up while learning game programming. So it has its trade-offs.

5. Re: beginning euphoria through game programming

There is a DirectX wrapper for EUPHORIA in the archives. OpenGL doesn't work as well in Windows as it could because instead of changing the resolution for the process it changes the resolution for the system.

Shawn Pringle

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu