Re: beginning euphoria through game programming

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
irv said...

One of the problems with game programs is that games are interesting to beginners, who, being beginners, don't understand that they've made a bad choice.

Experienced programmers who could whip out a new word-processor before morning coffee pale at the thought of having to write a real game. IOW, it's hard!

If you are the kind of person who never gets frustrated, no matter how badly things go, writing a game is certainly going to be good training. Most people will just decide that "programming is too hard" and give up.

What you really need is knowledge in other areas that you can eventually combine and apply to writing games.

I started programming by game programming. I have to say it is not the best route to go. It is much better to write small apps and programs while you are just starting. If I had done that instead of trying to focus and learn everything about game programming, I would have been a much better programmer. Of course now, I'm a lot better then I was when I started. Though I wonder how much better I could have been if I had not started with game programming. Though you will pick many things up while learning game programming. So it has its trade-offs.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu