1. linux for Euphoria

What is Linux the most popular among fans / developers of euphoria?

Sorry Google, for his English:)

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: linux for Euphoria

Kir_Eev said...

I love ArchLinux for use on the desktop. For servers I use Debian. Euphoria 4.0 is available for both by a simple package. With ArchLinux it's in the AUR repository already. For Debian, you download a package from our Downloads page. Matt does most (all?) of his development on Ubuntu (based on Debian). So that may very well be the most tested but either should work. For other variants of Linux, you can download a source tarball and simply do configure   make   make install.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: linux for Euphoria

jeremy said...

I love ArchLinux for use on the desktop. For servers I use Debian. Euphoria 4.0 is available for both by a simple package. With ArchLinux it's in the AUR repository already.

Jeremy

I have toyed with Ubuntu, but not seriously, and have no experience using Euphoria on any Linux. I had zoomed in on Ubuntu for several other reasons, and would want to consider Euphoria as well under Ubuntu. If you have any comments on Ubuntu and Euphoria, I would appreciate reading your viewpoint if you have tried it. Thanks in advance.

4. Re: linux for Euphoria

Vinoba said...
jeremy said...

I love ArchLinux for use on the desktop. For servers I use Debian. Euphoria 4.0 is available for both by a simple package. With ArchLinux it's in the AUR repository already.

Jeremy

I have toyed with Ubuntu, but not seriously, and have no experience using Euphoria on any Linux. I had zoomed in on Ubuntu for several other reasons, and would want to consider Euphoria as well under Ubuntu. If you have any comments on Ubuntu and Euphoria, I would appreciate reading your viewpoint if you have tried it. Thanks in advance.

I like ArchLinux better for a desktop for two reasons:

1. It's more progressive on software releases, i.e. the latest and greatest become available on ArchLinux much quicker than it does on Ubuntu or Debian (Stable versions... so if running a bleeding edge, this argument may not apply).
  2. Its package tool, pacman, is much nicer to write packages for than having to write a deb package. Thus, when I stumble across a new program I want to try that a package does not exist for, I can easily write a package file for it in ArchLinux and install, later remove easily if I don't like it. Not so with Ubuntu.

Now, Ubuntu has a huge user base. ArchLinux is no little distribution in regards to userbase either but it does not compete with Ubuntu in that area.

If this is your first venture into Linux, then I would go with Ubuntu since you have already tried it and it seemed to work fine for you. At the end of the day both are Linux both use Gnome, both do XYZ and 123 just fine.

Jeremy

5. Re: linux for Euphoria

jeremy said...
Kir_Eev said...

Matt does most (all?) of his development on Ubuntu (based on Debian). So that may very well be the most tested but either should work.

Yes, I'm generally running the most recent release of Kubuntu (currently 10.10), so if you are too, then you're probably running on one of the most tested platforms for euphoria. I've been running Kubuntu for several years at this point. The 6 month release cycle keeps you reasonably up to date (though not bleeding edge), and the platform seems stable enough, plus the large user base usually means that any issue you come across has probably already been worked out by someone else.

Matt

6. Re: linux for Euphoria

I have used Eu on many different Linux distros, it almost always works. That said, I like Ultimate 2.8 better than any I've tried before, because of all the extra programs and such you get automatically (instead of having to install them one at a time).

http://ultimateedition.info/

Mint is another good one: http://www.linuxmint.com/

Both of these seem to work better (on my computers) than Ubuntu.

7. Re: linux for Euphoria

who have tried ( http://www.puppylinux.com/ ) and in particular Luppu ( http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01756 ) ?

8. Re: linux for Euphoria

Kir_Eev said...

I use Xubuntu. It is very "lightweight"; the window manager is fast, and not overbearing. have had zero problems with it. I just upgraded to v10.10 over the Internet, again with zero problems. Software updates occur daily.

I would recommend Xubuntu for a first exposure to *nix. HTH

Duke

9. Re: linux for Euphoria

Hello,
I have downloaded the latest Puppy linux Lupu 5.1.1 with the development self extractor file (SFS),
this includes the GCC compiler so I'll let you know how Euphoria v4.0 official goes with wxEuphoria....

Cheers
Alan

10. Re: linux for Euphoria

En: It would be nice if Barry Kauler entered the ranks of lovers of euphoria and it would become the language settings Puppy linux

Ru: Было бы замечательно, если бы Барри Каулер вошёл в состав любителей Эйфории и она стала бы языком конфигурирывания Puppy линукс

11. Re: linux for Euphoria

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63251

12. Re: linux for Euphoria

alanjohnoxley said...

Hello,
I have downloaded the latest Puppy linux Lupu 5.1.1 with the development self extractor file (SFS),
this includes the GCC compiler so I'll let you know how Euphoria v4.0 official goes with wxEuphoria....

Cheers
Alan

Please indicate details of the launch, I can not open wxeu.so

13. Re: linux for Euphoria

The best Linux Distro. You might want to read this comparison.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-linux-distros-for-2010-704584

14. Re: linux for Euphoria

Vinoba said...

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-linux-distros-for-2010-704584

Once again I appeal to the gurus of euphoria: Puppy linux in this ranking at the 4-th place in the world! If we combine the simplicity of (read as a beauty) and the power of the two projects have received a fantastic thing ... The fact that all the settings are not written professionally (in terms of ergonomics) in the GTK-scripts

15. Re: linux for Euphoria

Kir_Eev said...
Vinoba said...

Once again I appeal to the gurus of euphoria: Puppy linux in this ranking at the 4-th place in the world! If we combine the simplicity of (read as a beauty) and the power of the two projects have received a fantastic thing ... The fact that all the settings are not written professionally (in terms of ergonomics) in the GTK-scripts

Kir Eev, note that Puppy Linux is the BEST in the nomination "distro for older Hardware"

Игорь, там написано, что Паппи Линукс лучший в номинации "дистрибутив для старого железа"

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu