Re: linux for Euphoria

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Vinoba said...
jeremy said...

I love ArchLinux for use on the desktop. For servers I use Debian. Euphoria 4.0 is available for both by a simple package. With ArchLinux it's in the AUR repository already.

Jeremy

I have toyed with Ubuntu, but not seriously, and have no experience using Euphoria on any Linux. I had zoomed in on Ubuntu for several other reasons, and would want to consider Euphoria as well under Ubuntu. If you have any comments on Ubuntu and Euphoria, I would appreciate reading your viewpoint if you have tried it. Thanks in advance.

I like ArchLinux better for a desktop for two reasons:

1. It's more progressive on software releases, i.e. the latest and greatest become available on ArchLinux much quicker than it does on Ubuntu or Debian (Stable versions... so if running a bleeding edge, this argument may not apply).
  2. Its package tool, pacman, is much nicer to write packages for than having to write a deb package. Thus, when I stumble across a new program I want to try that a package does not exist for, I can easily write a package file for it in ArchLinux and install, later remove easily if I don't like it. Not so with Ubuntu.

Now, Ubuntu has a huge user base. ArchLinux is no little distribution in regards to userbase either but it does not compete with Ubuntu in that area.

If this is your first venture into Linux, then I would go with Ubuntu since you have already tried it and it seemed to work fine for you. At the end of the day both are Linux both use Gnome, both do XYZ and 123 just fine.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu