1. forum header messed up when narrowed

I fixed the bug where the "OpenEuphoria" header is overlaid with menu buttons when the browser is narrowed to 1/2 screen width. Instead of the buttons falling up over the logo, they now fall down. Up obscures the logo. Down simply makes a ever so slightly messier look on the already css-messed up page body. I used the same n1.gif background, and to make the fix work without editing the gif, the header banner space is a bit taller, but that could also be fixed if necessary.

The difference between falling up vs down can be seen at:
http://designerthinking.com/EUBANNR.JPG

I'm taking suggestions on what it means to be satisfied that the css is bad enough to allow the logo of the site to be covered up when the menu falls up like that on the right.

Is anyone making a bet pool on this fix being used? I want to bet against it.

useless

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I fixed the bug ...
Is anyone making a bet pool on this fix being used?

What fix? You didn't give us one here ... or have you given the fix to someone else on the dev team?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I fixed the bug where the "OpenEuphoria" header is overlaid with menu buttons when the browser is narrowed to 1/2 screen width.

That looks good to me. But what is the actual change?

Matt

4. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

DerekParnell said...
useless said...

I fixed the bug ...

What fix? You didn't give us one here ... or have you given the fix to someone else on the dev team?

I don't know who to give it to (it's not a worthy of a bug ticket (it's already been said by a dev that fixing that bug isn't worth it), there's no functioning web team(?), it's not code one would post in the forum, my previous webpage fixes were not accepted, etc etc), and so far i cannot join #euphoria to discuss it, and no one has asked for it.

useless

5. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...
useless said...

I fixed the bug where the "OpenEuphoria" header is overlaid with menu buttons when the browser is narrowed to 1/2 screen width.

That looks good to me. But what is the actual change?

Matt

Holycowpies, someone asked for the fix! Ok, it's at

http://designerthinking.com/EuHeaderFix.zip

useless

6. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

http://designerthinking.com/EuHeaderFix.zip

Thanks. Looks like we need to change the main template and the css file. Unless someone else gets to it, I'll have a go at it probably later today.

Matt

7. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...
DerekParnell said...
useless said...

I fixed the bug ...

I don't know who to give it to (it's not a worthy of a bug ticket (it's already been said by a dev that fixing that bug isn't worth it), there's no functioning web team(?), it's not code one would post in the forum, my previous webpage fixes were not accepted, etc etc), and so far i cannot join #euphoria to discuss it, and no one has asked for it.

useless

You know who is on the dev team.

Why is it not 'worthy' of a bug ticket?

Who said it isn't worth it and so what if they did say that?

The web team is the dev team. Now you know.

Why is it not code one would post in the forum?

No one should expect that all their submissions will be accepted or all rejected. So just because something you submitted hasn't been implemented (yet?) you shouldn't assume that future submissions will attract the same response.

One does not have to wait to be asked for a fix - just submit it anyway.

8. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

DerekParnell said...
useless said...
DerekParnell said...
useless said...

I fixed the bug ...

useless

You know who is on the dev team.

Sure, but this was a web issue, not a language development issue. Besides, i didn't feel like fighing the dev team over anything ever again.

DerekParnell said...

Why is it not 'worthy' of a bug ticket?

Who said it isn't worth it and so what if they did say that?

[10:02] <jeremy_c> and it's not high on my priority list to make the website look good at 340px wide.
[10:02] <katsmeow-afk> it's a 19 inch monitor, it's not 340pix wide
[10:03] <jeremy_c> 19inch monitor means little. I can run my 22" monitor at 640x480
[10:03] <jeremy_c> what resolution are you using?
[10:03] <katsmeow-afk> 1024x768
[10:04] <katsmeow-afk> i'll run a 22 inch monitor soon as you send it to me
[10:04] <jeremy_c> The "standard" minimum now a days is 1280x1024. I personally am not too interested in less than that. Unfortunate for those running smaller, but you are in the vast minority.
[10:05] <katsmeow-afk> not gonna blow $150+ because you refuse to make a flexable webpage
[10:05] <CoJaBo> jeremy_c: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook
[10:05] <jeremy_c> yes, that is true. They are gaining in popularity.
[10:05] <jeremy_c> I have one. 800x600
[10:05] <katsmeow-afk> or because youi refuse to allow me to make it flexable
[10:05] <CoJaBo> Im not lugging around a 19-inch slab to visit a website.
[10:06] <jeremy_c> allow you? Did you submit patches we denied that didn't have any other effect?
[10:06] <katsmeow-afk> yep, 2x
[10:06] <jeremy_c> who rejected them?
[10:06] <katsmeow-afk> the whole bloody dev crew
[10:06] <katsmeow-afk> that's when YOU told me to go buy a wider monitor
[10:06] <jeremy_c> hm, I didn't and I'm part of the crew, thus the whole bloody crew did not reject them.
[10:07] <katsmeow-afk> you did
[10:07] <jeremy_c> If I did, it was a long time ago and I did with a good reason. I don't just reject good patches.
[10:08] <katsmeow-afk> you said it wasn't important, it wasn't a problem on your screen
[10:08] <jeremy_c> I highly doubt that.
[10:08] <jeremy_c> I might have said I'm not working on it now.
[10:08] <katsmeow-afk> well, i would have worked on it then
[10:08] <jeremy_c> but I wouldn't reject a patch that fixes something
[10:09] <mattlewis> I recall discussions about the css, but didn't pay too much attention, b/c I wasn't really working with euweb at that point
[10:09] <katsmeow-afk> this is not going to be another instance of me wasting time looking thru logs to proove me right, forget it
[10:09] <jeremy_c> that's fine. we can move on then.
[10:10] <katsmeow-afk> right, it's still broken, we can move on with the new brokenness of nowrap
[10:10] <jeremy_c> I am in to fix that but waiting until the server comes back up.
[10:10] <jeremy_c> That's an easy 10 second fix. Fixing the toolbar buttons is not.

I disagree. Different things are difficult for different people. I didn't find it to be difficult.

DerekParnell said...

The web team is the dev team. Now you know.

Why is it not code one would post in the forum?

It's not Euphoria code, it's web design stuff.

DerekParnell said...

No one should expect that all their submissions will be accepted or all rejected. So just because something you submitted hasn't been implemented (yet?) you shouldn't assume that future submissions will attract the same response.

One does not have to wait to be asked for a fix - just submit it anyway.

They've been rejected before.

useless

9. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

Sure, but this was a web issue, not a language development issue. Besides, i didn't feel like fighing the dev team over anything ever again.

The tickets section actually tracks issues for this website, too.

Also, as a general note, the number of people who are actually able to work on the site has increased (I only recently started doing stuff with it myself). Several of us have local development environments set up (see the readme in the euweb svn repository), and we actually have a test application area set up on the same server as this forum, for staging and testing new development before deploying.

Matt

10. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

...snip...
[10:10] <jeremy_c> That's an easy 10 second fix. Fixing the toolbar buttons is not.

I don't understand how you felt that this is rejecting your patch that you didn't submit at the time? It was rejecting me going to fix it as I didn't have the time and I had much higher priority stuff to work on. We all have to prioritize.

useless said...

I disagree. Different things are difficult for different people. I didn't find it to be difficult.

Indeed. Some CSS can be voodoo to me. I'm glad you can solve it quickly, I could not.

Jeremy

11. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

jeremy said...
useless said...

...snip...

I don't understand how you felt that this is rejecting your patch that you didn't submit at the time? It was rejecting me going to fix it as I didn't have the time and I had much higher priority stuff to work on. We all have to prioritize.

I had submitted other fixes previously. The inability of the site to gracefully resize has been a debate before. I did submit code to fix it. I didn't come by my nick here without earning it.

useless

12. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I had submitted other fixes previously. The inability of the site to gracefully resize has been a debate before. I did submit code to fix it. I didn't come by my nick here without earning it.

This is one reason why it's important to use the ticket system so we can look back at issues and determine what/why things were done. As said on IRC, patches that fix things are not just rejected. I do not recall the patch in question so cannot recall why it may have been rejected.

Jeremy

13. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

Whatever you guys did, the site looks a lot better.

Even those with larger monitors/higher resolutions don't necessarily run their browsers full screen. In fact, one would think that the whole idea behind a multiple-window interface was that you wouldn't have to run programs at full screen.

14. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I didn't use it directly, but as a starting point. I moved the menu over, plus some other fixes for zoomed page / smaller window rendering. Take a look.

Matt

15. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...
useless said...

I didn't use it directly, but as a starting point. I moved the menu over, plus some other fixes for zoomed page / smaller window rendering. Take a look.

Matt

I carefully did NOT move the menu to the right, because that was absolutely forbidden. The skinnier right menu makes better use of space too. The ticket page looks lots better. There's no word wrap on the forum (but there never was?), so long lines inside eucode blocks gets cut off. http://test.openeuphoria.org/docs/eu400_0001.html still has issues.

useless

16. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I carefully did NOT move the menu to the right, because that was absolutely forbidden. The skinnier right menu makes better use of space too. The ticket page looks lots better. There's no word wrap on the forum (but there never was?), so long lines inside eucode blocks gets cut off. http://test.openeuphoria.org/docs/eu400_0001.html still has issues.

Yeah, I tried to keep it on the right, but couldn't find a reasonable way to do that and still have the page look reasonable when shrinking the window or zooming. If you (or anyone else) has suggestions... I tested using Chrome, zooming to the max, and playing with the window size. Except for pretty extreme situations (max zoom, tiny window), the page layout stayed pretty reasonable, I thought.

And you're correct, I hadn't looked at the manual pages, which definitely need help.

There's word wrap for normal text, but stuff inside eucode tags or triple brackets are put into pre tags, so they wrap exactly like they are put in. But I added overflow styles so that instead of running over the menu stuff on the right, you get a scroll bar.

Matt

17. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...

There's word wrap for normal text, but stuff inside eucode tags or triple brackets are put into pre tags, so they wrap exactly like they are put in. But I added overflow styles so that instead of running over the menu stuff on the right, you get a scroll bar.

Matt

Any chance you could put the scroll bars only the eucode blocks? If the first post of a topic has a long line, and the remaining 50 replies don't, the scroll bar is still at the bottom of the page.

useless

18. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

Any chance you could put the scroll bars only the eucode blocks? If the first post of a topic has a long line, and the remaining 50 replies don't, the scroll bar is still at the bottom of the page.

Yeah, I thought about that. I think that will require a code change (not just css), which is why I tried this first. Also, I usually read in message view, and didn't look at anything long like that, but I can see why that would be annoying.

Matt

19. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...
useless said...

Yeah, I thought about that. I think that will require a code change (not just css), which is why I tried this first. Also, I usually read in message view, and didn't look at anything long like that, but I can see why that would be annoying.

Duh...no it doesn't. I added overflow to the pre blocks.

Matt

20. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...
mattlewis said...
useless said...

Duh...no it doesn't. I added overflow to the pre blocks.

Matt

Way cool, finally! thanks, Matt!

Gotta say tho, this is the sort of thing that would have been done a year ago if some of us had had our way.

useless

21. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

Gotta say tho, this is the sort of thing that would have been done a year ago if some of us had had our way.

I don't disagree. A year ago, I was pretty clueless about the euweb software, and those who weren't were busy with other stuff, etc, etc. Being able to play with it locally makes a huge difference. Also, euphoria 4 has matured quite a bit.

Matt

22. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...
useless said...

I don't disagree. A year ago, I was pretty clueless about the euweb software, and those who weren't were busy with other stuff, etc, etc.

Some of us were not busy. And we offered.

useless

23. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

The manual should be fixed now. The code used to generate the TOC was missing a closing div tag.

Matt

24. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...
useless said...

The manual should be fixed now. The code used to generate the TOC was missing a closing div tag.

Matt

It looks great.

Thing is, i am even more useless if you fix all the html/css, when i could be doing that as you add more of ooeu to Eu.

useless

25. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

mattlewis said...

I'm seeing a small wart ... the 'go' button for the search is inside the search text box on the wiki and manual pages.

26. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

DerekParnell said...
mattlewis said...

I'm seeing a small wart ... the 'go' button for the search is inside the search text box on the wiki and manual pages.

Oh, it is, i can type under the GO button!

useless

27. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

Thing is, i am even more useless if you fix all the html/css, when i could be doing that as you add more of ooeu to Eu.

useless

Or, you could set up euweb and webclay2 and edbi and creole on a windoze box, and then send a writeup of the whole experience here.

This would be a tremendous addition to the documentation, and it'd allow you to test out html fixes yourself (which often requires tweaking etml code inside of euweb), before creating tickets and posting patches showing how to update the code to fix the problem.

28. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

jimcbrown said...
useless said...

useless

Or, you could set up euweb and webclay2 and edbi and creole on a windoze box, and then send a writeup of the whole experience here.

This would be a tremendous addition to the documentation, and it'd allow you to test out html fixes yourself (which often requires tweaking etml code inside of euweb), before creating tickets and posting patches showing how to update the code to fix the problem.

Sadly, that would make me a dev again, and not going down that road again. I can no longer put any energy into fighting to improve things around here. I'd like to improve things, and would have been, but not going to get drawn in to where the situation becomes as it was. You got me where you want me, why bother suggesting more of me?

useless

29. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I can no longer put any energy into fighting to improve things around here. I'd like to improve things,

But you are already doing so. This thread is proof of that.

30. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

Sadly, that would make me a dev again, and not going down that road again. I can no longer put any energy into fighting to improve things around here. I'd like to improve things, and would have been, but not going to get drawn in to where the situation becomes as it was. You got me where you want me, why bother suggesting more of me?

Can we not pander to this? Thank you.

31. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

jimcbrown said...
useless said...

I can no longer put any energy into fighting to improve things around here. I'd like to improve things,

But you are already doing so. This thread is proof of that.

This wasn't a fight. A fight is having to explain every word i use over and over for a week, while getting personal insults from the peanut gallery.

I was just ticked off again that Jeremy had dismissed this sort of fix again, and had said it was too difficult to take care of. And Derek was making (good) changes to the site (finally, someone is allowed to), which was screwing up my proxy re-writing it on the fly to do all the fixes locally. So i figured i'd toss one out again in the forum. If it was accepted, that's less code i haveto write in my proxy to fix the remaining bugs. Plus, CK is camped out in #euphoria, from two different isps, so i cannot stay in irc channel to discuss any fixes there.

useless

32. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

euphoric said...
useless said...

For real. Why go down this road again? We have reached an equilibrium where i am angry and you are pleased. I can show over and over that i can be useful, but you don't want me to be. End of story. Let it go, jimcbrown.

useless

33. Re: forum header messed up when narrowed

useless said...

I was just ticked off again that Jeremy had dismissed this sort of fix again, and had said it was too difficult to take care of.

He dismissed fixing it because he wasn't personally interested in it. Especially doing the actual fixing part.

You did not give him the fix for the css. If you had, he likely would not have done anything with it as I understand he's quite busy with other things and has not had any time to do any css related work at all. And very little other Euphoria-related work.

A personal rejection by him, for a personal reason, of immediately working on a fix for a problem does not constitute a rejection by the entire development team of a patch for that problem.

useless said...

And Derek was making (good) changes to the site (finally, someone is allowed to),

Well, he was able to since almost from the beginning of the forum.

useless said...

which was screwing up my proxy re-writing it on the fly to do all the fixes locally.

Jeremy has accepted website fixes from you before, after agreeing with you that it is not reasonable to require every website viewer to use a proxy to manually fix or touchup the website's css and html code.

useless said...

So i figured i'd toss one out again in the forum. If it was accepted, that's less code i haveto write in my proxy to fix the remaining bugs.

I agree that this is the best method.

useless said...

Plus, CK is camped out in #euphoria, from two different isps, so i cannot stay in irc channel to discuss any fixes there.

Which is just as well, as fixes and patches mentioned only in the IRC channel tend to get lost. (It's better thought of as a live conference center than an archive of information, for those of you unfamiliar with IRC.)

useless said...
euphoric said...
useless said...

For real. Why go down this road again? We have reached an equilibrium where i am angry and you are pleased. I can show over and over that i can be useful, but you don't want me to be. End of story. Let it go, jimcbrown.

useless

No one is pleased that you are complaining on the forum about being useless.

No one is pleased that you are complaining on the forum about being unable to contribute or being prevented from contributing.

No one is pleased that patches for fixes are being lost because you believe that you are being prevented from contributing.

I can't do anything about the third, but I can at least show that you aren't being prevented from contributing.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu