1. Canadian Euphoria

Forked from Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Euphoria is not Canadian any longer, it's open source and global. I don't think it should have a leaf.

Jeremy

Still, I feel that the language should not forget its origins. For historical reasons.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jimcbrown said...

Forked from Re: Euphoria Logo Contest, will you participate?

jeremy said...

Euphoria is not Canadian any longer, it's open source and global. I don't think it should have a leaf.

Jeremy

Still, I feel that the language should not forget its origins. For historical reasons.

Which is exactly the reason that the flag of the USA still has the Union Jack embedded in it, right?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Canadian Euphoria

You mean someone took it out. Damn, they'll be removing it from the Australian flag next!

Chris

4. Re: Canadian Euphoria

ChrisB said...

You mean someone took it out. Damn, they'll be removing it from the Australian flag next!

Chris

We can only hope smile

The 'republican' debate flairs up here every few years, but we still have the Queen of England as our Head Of State.

5. Re: Canadian Euphoria

DerekParnell said...

Which is exactly the reason that the flag of the USA still has the Union Jack embedded in it, right?

Nice one! Derek+1 !

6. Re: Canadian Euphoria

DerekParnell said...

The 'republican' debate flairs up here every few years, but we still have the Queen of England as our Head Of State.

I thought you had the Queen of Australia as your Head Of State. (Yes, I know they're the same person. Elizabeth Alexandra Mary is the only person in all of history to be head of state of so many different countries.)

7. Re: Canadian Euphoria

"Canadian Euphoria" sounds like something you get when you drink too much maple syrup. tongue

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ghaberek/syrup.jpg

-Greg

8. Re: Canadian Euphoria

I disagree with Jim because very few people who use Euphoria even know its origins from Canada.

9. Re: Canadian Euphoria

Fendaril said...

I disagree with Jim because very few people who use Euphoria even know its origins from Canada.

Hi Fendaril,

There are registered EU users in 67 countries,
they all do know the address of RDS:
http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/address.gif

I'm sure now that a maple leaf is a very good component of the EUPHORIA logo! smile

Regards,
kinz

10. Re: Canadian Euphoria

Forget about flags of any kind. It is about programming not nationalism.

Jacques

11. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jacques_desch said...

What is bad in flags at all???
Why not EU flag???
What about UN flag and logo for EU???

Regards,
kinz

12. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jacques_desch said...

Jacques

I agree. Anything that could have a strong tie (whether intended or not, global or not) to one individual country, IMHO, is bad. i.e. a Maple Leaf, esp. a red maple leaf.

Jeremy

13. Re: Canadian Euphoria

kinz said...
jacques_desch said...

Why not EU flag???

Nothing is wrong with flags if you are flying them on the outside of your house. It just has no application in a logo for Euphoria. Why tie a world wide language to a given country and alienate others by doing so? Euphoria is not at all developed in Canada. It has contributors world wide. I wouldn't want it to be a USA flag, Austria flag, Russian flag or Canadian flag nor any combination of. We're writing a programming language not setting up to start our own country/government.

Jeremy

14. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jeremy said...

Euphoria is not at all developed in Canada.

Let's just read the docs.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/relnotes.htm

relnotes.htm says:

Version 1.0, July 1993: Euphoria was first released after 3 years of research and development and 6 months of Beta testing. Many of the ideas behind Euphoria came from Robert Craig's Master's Thesis in Computer Science at the University of Toronto. That thesis was strongly influenced by the work of John Backus on functional programming (FP) languages.

Let's see the very first readme.doc.

It says:

--------------------- 
			    Euphoria 1.0 
			Public Domain Edition 
			--------------------- 

Welcome to Euphoria! ... End User Programming with Hierarchical Objects 
			  for Robust Interpreted Applications 

Euphoria is a new programming language developed by Rapid Deployment Software, 
 a Canadian software research and development firm. 

Euphoria is primarily a language for =End User's= like yourself. These are 
 people who want to develop software for their own use. They want fast, 
 easy development. They cannot recover the cost of their labor by selling 
 hundreds or thousands of copies of their programs. They do not want to spend 
 countless hours debugging. They do not have the time or inclination to 
 learn a large, complex language intended for professional programmers, but 
 they need something better than BASIC. 

So, let's learn and do not forget our history...

Regards,
kinz

15. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jeremy said...
kinz said...
jacques_desch said...

Why not EU flag???

Nothing is wrong with flags if you are flying them on the outside of your house. It just has no application in a logo for Euphoria. Why tie a world wide language to a given country and alienate others by doing so? Euphoria is not at all developed in Canada. It has contributors world wide. I wouldn't want it to be a USA flag, Austria flag, Russian flag or Canadian flag nor any combination of. We're writing a programming language not setting up to start our own country/government.

Jeremy

100% agreement with this statement.

Jacques

16. Re: Canadian Euphoria

I'm South African, ie from the "Rainbow nation". So I prefer the old Euphoria logo ;) Seriously though, I agree with leaving out flags to not give offence anywhere.

REgards Alan

17. Re: Canadian Euphoria

alanjohnoxley said...

I'm South African, ie from the "Rainbow nation". So I prefer the old Euphoria logo ;) Seriously though, I agree with leaving out flags to not give offence anywhere.

REgards Alan

Hi Alan,

See please one example, I like PSPad and am useing it almost every day
just to update the Russian section of the RDS site.
Is PSPad site something offencive ????
Really ????
And there are tons of sites with national flags of users on Web!

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/flags.png

And I like the old Euphoria logo very much too smile
It is really good!
Whith one exception - Just say YES to simple programming!

Regards,
kinz

18. Re: Canadian Euphoria

I personally think jeremy that we should make a logo that includes every flag. This will solve any problem of nationalism.

19. Re: Canadian Euphoria

kinz said...
alanjohnoxley said...

See please one example, I like PSPad and am useing it almost every day
just to update the Russian section of the RDS site.
Is PSPad site something offencive ????

http://pl-euphoria.narod.ru/flags.png

That's not a logo, that's language selection! I think using some symbol for language selection is a great idea and it's of no offense as it doesn't single anyone out. PSPad does not use any flag in their logo. These are two totally different applications of flag use.

Jeremy

20. Re: Canadian Euphoria

Fendaril said...

I personally think jeremy that we should make a logo that includes every flag. This will solve any problem of nationalism.

There are too many flags for this to be practical. Especially as an icon. Better to have no flag at all.

21. Re: Canadian Euphoria

I find it amazing that anyone could be "offended" by a leaf. What are you going to do this autumn, when these things are lying all over the ground?

It is illogical. As is being offended by a symbol which also happens to be part of some country's flag. Especially if that country is one which seldom bothers anyone else.

Besides, the alternatives are no better. Rainbow - people will be concerned with the programming language's sexual orientation. Penguin - PETA will picket to protest evil exploitation of poor flightless birds. Stars - no way! Nearly all "evil" countries have used stars in their flags. (Note: do not look up into the night sky. You might be offended.)

There's nothing anyone can name that someone, somewhere won't find "offensive". That is their own problem, not one we should worry about.

22. Re: Canadian Euphoria

irv said...

I find it amazing that anyone could be "offended" by a leaf. What are you going to do this autumn, when these things are lying all over the ground?

It is illogical. As is being offended by a symbol which also happens to be part of some country's flag. Especially if that country is one which seldom bothers anyone else.

Besides, the alternatives are no better. Rainbow - people will be concerned with the programming language's sexual orientation. Penguin - PETA will picket to protest evil exploitation of poor flightless birds. Stars - no way! Nearly all "evil" countries have used stars in their flags. (Note: do not look up into the night sky. You might be offended.)

There's nothing anyone can name that someone, somewhere won't find "offensive". That is their own problem, not one we should worry about.

Irv,

As a Canadian myself I'm certainly not offended by the use of the red mapple leaf. It is just that I don't see the point of using it in euphoria language logo. Beside anyone is free to use the logo he want to use with is programs but the official euphoria is an international effort. Linux kernel logo is not flagged with Norwegian flag and everyone knows that it is the initial creation of a Norwegian and that Linus Torvalds is still a major contributor to it.

Jacques

P.S. Although I don't understand why Jeremy have a problem with the color of our flag I certainly won't start a flame on it.

23. Re: Canadian Euphoria

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the maple leaf either way; I just think that there are better logos.

BTW, Linus Torvalds is Finnish, not Norwegian. Just sayin'.

24. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jeremy said...

PSPad does not use any flag in their logo.

Are you sure?
PSPad is Czech, and Czech flag stands on the first place,
just under that nice dog.
Do you see the flags on PSPad page are not placed strongly alphabetically?
Almost same thing you can see in my project with flags.
The Canada flag is first one, but sequence with flags of other
registered countries is sorted alphabetically - without any
offence.

Regards,
kinz

25. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jacques_desch said...

P.S. Although I don't understand why Jeremy have a problem with the color of our flag I certainly won't start a flame on it.

I don't have a problem with the color or a maple leaf. If you read back, the original reason for including a maple leaf was because Euphoria was developed in Canada. That is what I have a problem with. I would have the same problem if the background was a USA flag if Euphoria was originally developed in United States or any other country.

Again, I like maple trees, maple leaves and maple syrup. I like the color red. I like Canada. I have no problems with any of these things.

Jeremy

26. Re: Canadian Euphoria

kinz said...
jeremy said...

Are you sure?

Yes, I am 100% positive that the PSPad logo does not have any flag in it. The logo is the dog and the pen w/PSPad. The flags are language selection. If you wish to translate the Euphoria website into many different languages and put up flags for each language selection, I'm all for it and will be behind you 110%.

Jeremy

27. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jeremy said...
kinz said...
jeremy said...

Are you sure?

Yes, I am 100% positive that the PSPad logo does not have any flag in it. The logo is the dog and the pen w/PSPad. The flags are language selection. If you wish to translate the Euphoria website into many different languages and put up flags for each language selection, I'm all for it and will be behind you 110%.

Jeremy

Heh. I actually think that he has translated the Euphoria website into a few different languages. One, at least.

http://www.rapideuphoria.com/russian/index_r.htm

28. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jeremy said...
jacques_desch said...

I don't have a problem with the color or a maple leaf. If you read back, the original reason for including a maple leaf was because Euphoria was developed in Canada. That is what I have a problem with. I would have the same problem if the background was a USA flag if Euphoria was originally developed in United States or any other country.

Again, I like maple trees, maple leaves and maple syrup. I like the color red. I like Canada. I have no problems with any of these things.

Jeremy

No offense Jeremy I was just refering to comment number 12 where you written:

"... IMHO, is bad. i.e. a Maple Leaf, esp. a red maple leaf."

esp. red maple leaf.<<

It just caught my attention.

Jacques

29. Re: Canadian Euphoria

I made an error about the nationality of Linus Torvalds he is from Finland not Norway.

Jacques

30. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jaygade said...

Heh. I actually think that he has translated the Euphoria website into a few different languages. One, at least. http://www.rapideuphoria.com/russian/index_r.htm

Who 'he' ?

This translation is my one. To Russian only. By hands.
Not an automatic by Google or such.

And it is a problem - no one else wants to translate the
RDS site or OpenEuphoria site to his\her native language
by hands, nor automatically.

See? 67 registered countries and only Russian translation.

So logo with flags is good - shows a problem with distribution
of EU knowledge in different languages.

And automatic translation is very poor.

Regards,
kinz

31. Re: Canadian Euphoria

Yes I know that it is your translation. By hand. That's what I meant.

As for other translations? I can't help much, my high-school French is over twenty years forgotten now and American English is my primary language. I guess it's close enough to Canadian English to not really notice. blink

32. Re: Canadian Euphoria

jacques_desch said...

"... IMHO, is bad. i.e. a Maple Leaf, esp. a red maple leaf."

esp. red maple leaf.<<

It just caught my attention.

Yes, as it has even more special attention to Canada, even though red maple leaves are all over.

Jeremy

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu