1. DBI for Euphoria

Being mainly a database programmer by trade, a DBI is important to me for some apps. Other apps I want all the raw power of a database server exposed to me. I have been thinking of a DBI for a while and this is what I came up with. Please comment if you would like to see it designed differently. This will not be a core product, but something developed and distributed separately by me, not core Euphoria (it may change, who knows).

include dbi/core.e as dbi ... This is the only include file you will need to deal with.

Your application need not "include" different database drivers, they will be dynamically loaded. Your application may even load database drivers that were not around at the time your application was developed. Anyone can develop a DBD (database driver). It is a DLL/SO file that adheres to a published "DBD" spec (according to the DBI). DBD's can exist for any database including PostrgreSQL, MySQL, ODBC, EDS, SQLite, Firebird, etc...

The connecting of the database should happen in a manner that is only changed by 1 connection string. The application should not need to know about what type of database it is connecting to, however, it could determine the connected database easily if it wishes.

The DBI will automatically convert to proper Euphoria types. Atom, Integer, String, Date, Time and Date/Time values will be understood directly.

The DBD would have to implement a small number of functions: dbd_connect, dbd_close, dbd_last_id, dbd_execute, dbd_query, dbd_field, dbd_field_count, dbd_field_name, dbd_field_type. The DBI will take care of all the nice functionality. The drivers should be written in C for speed.

On with some example code:

include dbi/core.e as dbi 
include std/datetime.e as dt 
include std/map.e as m 

dbi:handle dbh = dbi:connect("mysql://people?user=john") 
--dbi:handle dbh = dbi:connect("sqlite3://people.db") 
--dbi:handle dbh = dbi:connect("eds://people.edb") 
--dbi:handle dbh = dbi:connect("pgsql://people?user=jim&password=secret&host=jim.com&ssl=true") 
if dbi:error(dbh) then 
	printf(1, "DBI failed to connect: %s\n", { dbh }) 
	abort(1) 
end if 

if not dbi:execute(dbh, "INSERT INTO people VALUES (%s,%s,%t)", { "John", "Doe", dt:now() }) 
then 
	printf(1, "Could not insert people record: %s\n", { dbi:error_message(dbh) }) 
	dbi:close(dbh) 
	abort(1) 
end if 
printf(1, "Last inserted id: %d\n", { dbi:lastid(dbh, "people_id") }) 

dbi:result rs = dbi:query(dbh, "SELECT * FROM people WHERE name LIKE %s", { "%e%" }) 
if dbi:error(dbh) then 
	printf(1, "DBI failed to query people table: %s\n", { dbi:error_message(dbh) }) 
	abort(1) 
end if 

while dbi:next(rs) do 
	printf(1, "Person: %s %s was born on %s\n", { dbi:field(rs, "fname"), dbi:field(rs, "lname"),  
		dt:format("%m/%d/%Y", dbi:field(rs, "dob") }) 
	printf(1, "Person: %s %s\n", dbi:fields(rs, { "fname", "lname", "dob" })) 
	printf(1, "Person: %s %s\n", dbi:fields(rs, { 1, 2 })) 

m:map p = dbi:fetch_map(rs) 
	printf(1, "Person: %s %s\n", { m:get(p, "fname"), m:get(p, "lname") }) 
end while 
dbi:close_result(rs) 

printf(1, "Min name: %s, Max name: %s\n", { dbi:query_one(dbh, "SELECT min(fname) FROM people"), 
	dbi:query_one(dbh, "SELECT max(fname) FROM people") }) 
printf(1, "John Doe: %s %s\n", { dbi:query_one_row(dbh, "SELECT * FROM people WHERE id=%d", { 10 }) }) 

m:map p = m:new() 
m:put(p, "fname", "Jack") 
m:put(p, "lname", "Smith") 
m:put(p, "id", 0) 

if not dbi:save_map(dbh, "people", p) then 
	printf(1, "Could not save map to database table people: %s\n", { dbi:error_message(dbh) }) 
end if 

Any thoughts or comments?

Jeremy

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: DBI for Euphoria

I'm willing to show my ignorance: what's a "DBI"?
Dan

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: DBI for Euphoria

Ah, sorry. Database Interface. It provides a generic means of accessing a large array of database servers/files w/o changing your code.

Jeremy

4. Re: DBI for Euphoria

jeremy said...

I have been thinking of a DBI for a while and this is what I came up with... Any thoughts or comments?

Sounds great!

How many DBDs are available already? grin

5. Re: DBI for Euphoria

jeremy said...

Being mainly a database programmer by trade, a DBI is important to me for some apps. Other apps I want all the raw power of a database server exposed to me. I have been thinking of a DBI for a while and this is what I came up with. Please comment if you would like to see it designed differently. This will not be a core product, but something developed and distributed separately by me, not core Euphoria (it may change, who knows).

include dbi/core.e as dbi ... This is the only include file you will need to deal with.

Your application need not "include" different database drivers, they will be dynamically loaded. Your application may even load database drivers that were not around at the time your application was developed. Anyone can develop a DBD (database driver). It is a DLL/SO file that adheres to a published "DBD" spec (according to the DBI). DBD's can exist for any database including PostrgreSQL, MySQL, ODBC, EDS, SQLite, Firebird, etc...

The connecting of the database should happen in a manner that is only changed by 1 connection string. The application should not need to know about what type of database it is connecting to, however, it could determine the connected database easily if it wishes.

The DBI will automatically convert to proper Euphoria types. Atom, Integer, String, Date, Time and Date/Time values will be understood directly.

The DBD would have to implement a small number of functions: dbd_connect, dbd_close, dbd_last_id, dbd_execute, dbd_query, dbd_field, dbd_field_count, dbd_field_name, dbd_field_type. The DBI will take care of all the nice functionality. The drivers should be written in C for speed.

Jeremy

I think this would be a great addition to Euphoria. I personally think that most of what Euphoria needs to become a more mainstream language is libraries like this. I'd be happy to help on this project.

Chris Stone

6. Re: DBI for Euphoria

jeremy said...

Since you said it would be available for multiple databases, my guess is that listing specific databases at this point in time is a bit premature. Nonetheless, my thought would be to include in initial capability the Access databases (actually Jet v 3.5 and 4.0). If that means a single routine which covers all ODBC databases, that is what I'm thinking of.

Mike

7. Re: DBI for Euphoria

jeremy said...

This sort of thing would be great. The tough part is to avoid getting trapped by the lowest common denominator, while still having a rich and powerful interface.

I'd certainly be interested in using this for wxEDB. It currently uses ODBC for non-EDS databases. Basically, you can view data and execute queries. One potential downside to your proposed DBI would be the requirement to distribute multiple binaries.

Matt

8. Re: DBI for Euphoria

euphoric said...

Sounds great!

How many DBDs are available already? grin

None yet, but DBD's will be easy to create. I'd imagine pretty quickly that PgSQL, MySQL and SQLite will be added. As for others, they will be added as people find interest in doing so. I'd suppose the next one that should be created would be one for EDS, based on Matt's SQL library on top of EDS, since it EDS is shipped with Euphoria.

Jeremy

9. Re: DBI for Euphoria

cstone27 said...

I think this would be a great addition to Euphoria. I personally think that most of what Euphoria needs to become a more mainstream language is libraries like this. I'd be happy to help on this project.

Chris,

I feel the same way. In what ways would you like to help? I will be working on the core this week and hope to have a working example up by weeks end. Depending on what you would like to do to help, we can go from there?

Jeremy

10. Re: DBI for Euphoria

mattlewis said...

This sort of thing would be great. The tough part is to avoid getting trapped by the lowest common denominator, while still having a rich and powerful interface.

Yes, this is hard for any DBI, yet they continue to thrive. In a lot of situations, a DBI interface will sacrifice some richness of the underlying database for the gain of working on any type of database. I am open to suggestions you may have to make that not the fait of a Euphoria based DBI, but I am unsure of how to avoid it totally.

mattlewis said...

I'd certainly be interested in using this for wxEDB. It currently uses ODBC for non-EDS databases. Basically, you can view data and execute queries. One potential downside to your proposed DBI would be the requirement to distribute multiple binaries.

Yes, distributing binaries is a problem. I am unsure of how to go about not distributing binaries but making the drivers dynamically loadable. I think dynamic loading is pretty important. For instance, I may not want to package my program including the source of every single database driver available. John Doe may never touch Firebird, ODBC, EDS or PgSQL, they are just going to use SQLite for development/personal installations and MySQL for network deploys.

I'm open to suggestions here as well.

Jeremy

11. Re: DBI for Euphoria

jeremy said...
cstone27 said...

Chris,

I feel the same way. In what ways would you like to help? I will be working on the core this week and hope to have a working example up by weeks end. Depending on what you would like to do to help, we can go from there?

Jeremy

I could help with most of the system from design and documentation to drivers. Just let me know what kind of help you need. I work with MS SQL and MySql on a pretty regular basis and I've done some work with Postgres and Oracle 10.

Chris

12. Re: DBI for Euphoria

Re: lowest common denominator...

You could write the lowest common denominator as the standard DBI interface, then layer wrapper libraries that implement specialized methods for specific databases, if necessary.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu