Re: DBI for Euphoria

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jeremy said...

Being mainly a database programmer by trade, a DBI is important to me for some apps. Other apps I want all the raw power of a database server exposed to me. I have been thinking of a DBI for a while and this is what I came up with. Please comment if you would like to see it designed differently. This will not be a core product, but something developed and distributed separately by me, not core Euphoria (it may change, who knows).

include dbi/core.e as dbi ... This is the only include file you will need to deal with.

Your application need not "include" different database drivers, they will be dynamically loaded. Your application may even load database drivers that were not around at the time your application was developed. Anyone can develop a DBD (database driver). It is a DLL/SO file that adheres to a published "DBD" spec (according to the DBI). DBD's can exist for any database including PostrgreSQL, MySQL, ODBC, EDS, SQLite, Firebird, etc...

The connecting of the database should happen in a manner that is only changed by 1 connection string. The application should not need to know about what type of database it is connecting to, however, it could determine the connected database easily if it wishes.

The DBI will automatically convert to proper Euphoria types. Atom, Integer, String, Date, Time and Date/Time values will be understood directly.

The DBD would have to implement a small number of functions: dbd_connect, dbd_close, dbd_last_id, dbd_execute, dbd_query, dbd_field, dbd_field_count, dbd_field_name, dbd_field_type. The DBI will take care of all the nice functionality. The drivers should be written in C for speed.

Any thoughts or comments?

Jeremy

I think this would be a great addition to Euphoria. I personally think that most of what Euphoria needs to become a more mainstream language is libraries like this. I'd be happy to help on this project.

Chris Stone

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu